View Full Version : Thinning hair, NO FAIR!!!!!!!

longhairenvy
August 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hi all, I appologize in advance, I think this has been a thread in the past but couldn't find it. Does anyone else have a problem with thinning hair???? Mine is growing nicely but I have issues with thinning on the top and bang area. It's really noticable when I put my hair up. Any tips, suggestions, advice would be appreciated!!! DON'T want to resort to the minoxidil bottle.:(

Speckla
August 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Are you taking any vitamins? What type of foods do you eat? What products do you use and what is your washing routine?

I added some b vitamins, ditched the shampoo, and started doing scalp massages. Part of it was hormonal shedding and adding some hormones helped me. Have you had your levels tested?

curls2grow
August 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Here's a nice long thread that may have some helpful info for you. I know I got some good tips along the way:

Thin/Fine Hair Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115)

Rohele
August 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
There's also the essential oils for hair loss thread in the herbal hair care section - there are members who had had success with this method for regrowing hair.

I don't have any obvious thinning but I have noticed a small (a little larger than quarter sized) patch in the bang area that's not as thick as it used to be. I did see my doctor earlier this year about that and some generalized hair shedding. She started me on B vitamins, a multivitamin and now I'm also taking vitamin D (I was found to be quite deficient). I also started massaging the area and have noticed some new hairs growing in. I haven't tried the essential oils as I'm sensitive to quite a few of the ones listed. I'm keeping an eye on that spot and hoping it improves.

I would probably go see if you can get a reason for the hair loss diagnosed, many things can cause thinning hair. Anyway if you know what's causing it, you can go from there.

Longlocks3
August 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I think you have been given some GREAT recommendations to go to a doctor. If you go and find nothing physically wrong.....Could it be damage?

I know my hair is super thick in the nape/back of head area and kinda thin to really thin on the top/sides of head. If I could flip my scalp around I totally would because underneath is beautiful hair!

Most of my damage is from bad hairstyles that put all of the weight of my hair on the front. Ponytails are a big one for this on me. Especially high ponytails.

EtherealOde
August 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Mine started thinning after a hysterectomy, and the resulting sudden menopause. I can see my scalp in the front and top of my head now, and hormones aren't helping. Hopefully the MN will start to make a difference, it seems it has as far as length as my hair has grown more than usual this past month. But as for new hair to replace what I lost in the big hormone-loss shed, it still hasn't happened alas. I have begun to contemplate rogaine for women to see it it could possibly help with regrowth, but I'm afraid of an even bigger shed if I stop it once begun. :(

Aditi
August 20th, 2009, 12:02 AM
My mother has this problem of thinning hair last week, it was related to high doses of medicines she was taking. We went to a homeopethic doctor and he adviced us hair tonic hair oil and capsules for reducing hair fall. She is taking this capsules for a week and we have seen a very good result her shed has been almost stoped and that hair tonic is making her hair stronger and promoting new growth. If you have any herbal stores near by you can look there for them :)

Madame J
August 20th, 2009, 05:47 AM
If you check it out with a doc and nothing's wrong with your vitamin/mineral/hormone levels, you might snoop for sources of physical damage. I thought my hairline was receding (and I had just finished a "wear hair up for a month" challenge, so I thought it was tight hairstyles), but then I noticed that my sleep cap had exposed elastic along the edge which was snagging my hair. I stopped wearing it, and I already have lots of regrowth in those areas.

Good luck either way!

longhairenvy
August 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Thank you everyone; great advice! My sister also has this problem only much worse; we both have "borderline" low thyroid but no doctor will put us on meds because the blood levels don't warrant it despite all of the physical symptoms that correspond to hypothyroidism. VERY MADDENING. I DO take a great MVI, extra vit C,E and iron. I will try the essential oils and beef up the amount of massage I do. It's SO obvious that the front and top are thin and is making me feel OLD...........the rest of my hair is healthier than it's been in years. I use sulfate free shampoo, only 2-3times a week at most, and don't wear harsh hairstyles or do alot of braiding. I'm pretty kind to my hair, I think, so it isn't due to damage. I've gotten alot of great tips here at LHC so thank you!!