PDA

View Full Version : Giving praises to the 2 week rule!!!

Maddy25
August 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I just had to mention that last week on a whim I almost cut my bangs off and dyed my hair dark brown after trying to grow out my bangs and my blonde hair for months. I really wanted to do it but after all the compliments on my blonde hair by you lovely folks and people telling me to wait two weeks before I decide I am SOOOOO happy I didnt change it! Wow, so thank you everyone who helped me, with your positive comments Im really learning to love the hair God gave me and for anyone other impulsive people like myself, make sure to try out waiting for 2 weeks before you change something, because you'll most likely change your mind :) :cheese:

Did the two week rule ever help you out of doing something your glad you didnt?

LawyerGirl
August 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I had the scissors out and was ready to snip and stopped myself just before I closed them around my hair!

Dvips
August 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I'm so glad for you! It really is a good "rule", isn't it? :D

Silver & Gold
August 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM
This is a very important rule for me as well. I tend to cut my hair or change it in some way when I am stressed. Suddenly my hair is all wrong and there is nothing that will fix it short of scissors.

Happily I have a nice collection of hairtoys now that I cannot play with if I cut my hair. So whenever I feel like my hair is awful I just find a hairtoy and 'fix' it.

The two week rule is the thing when it comes to anything that would take a long time to grow out or undo without chemical damage. I'm glad you were able to make it work for you.

Maddy25
August 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM
This is a very important rule for me as well. I tend to cut my hair or change it in some way when I am stressed. Suddenly my hair is all wrong and there is nothing that will fix it short of scissors.

Happily I have a nice collection of hairtoys now that I cannot play with if I cut my hair. So whenever I feel like my hair is awful I just find a hairtoy and 'fix' it.

The two week rule is the thing when it comes to anything that would take a long time to grow out or undo without chemical damage. I'm glad you were able to make it work for you.

I do the hairtoy thing too! Whenever I feel the urge to cut it I go and buy a cute clip or toy and it makes it feel new again :)

Silver & Gold
August 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I do the hairtoy thing too! Whenever I feel the urge to cut it I go and buy a cute clip or toy and it makes it feel new again :)

This is part of the reason I'm such a hairtoy addict. It's the one thing that has kept me from cutting my hair all off when I am having a bad hair day. And it happens so much when growing hair out. That awkward in-between phase seems to last forever and pretty much guarantees that my hair is not going to look good down for more than 5 minutes. I'm generally wearing my hair in a half up or all the way up in a twisted bun almost always during the day. The last few hours before I go to bed is about the only time I wear it down.

But that's okay with me. Much of the reason I am growing my hair out is because I like hairsticks and updos. The difficult thing for me is getting used to not coloring my hair and seeing how ash my natural color is and how much grey hair I really have on the canopy. My hair is simultaneously too grey and not grey enough if that makes sense.

Heidi_234
August 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Praise the inventor of the two-week rule! :bowtome:
I'm going to give you an opposite example - I had a nape layer 3" longer than the bulk of my hair. Over the course of time it thinned to few ratty locks of hair. So I set myself with the 2 week rule, to see if cutting 2" off was a sudden whim or a much needed cut. After 2 weeks of going back and forth I was 100% positive that I want that layer gone, and so I cut 2". I could not be any happier with that cut. I felt my hair was longer after it, and I enjoyed it 10 times more. I think waiting 2 weeks really set my mind to accept it, and be sure about it. I always feel bad after a cut, not this time! :D
And the morale of the story? Myself should not cut layers in, ever again. :cool: :p

Sammybunny711
August 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I applied that rule but I STILL regretted it afterward...

ericthegreat
August 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I have a two decade rule..............but then again that's just me! :D

Silver & Gold
August 19th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I have a two decade rule..............but then again that's just me! :D

Ok, that made me giggle.

Reptilia
August 19th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Oh yes! For me I was very close to cutting a bob a few months back. My hair was at a stall and I was getting frustrated and decided my hair would never grow.
I waited, and then all of my sudden my hair started growing like crazy.

I've also come close to coloring it, and so glad I never do!

LittleOrca
August 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I wanted to cut off like 4 inches of my hair at one time and had a thread on here asking people to stop me. I ended up doing a few dustings over a week instead of taking off all that length, and I am glad I didn't :)

frodolaughs
August 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM
The two-week rule is so good, and not just for hair!

GlassEyes
August 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Since I look awful with short hair, I only use this rule for dyeing and trimming, never major cuts. xD; And even then, my urges aren't defeated completely, which is why I now have purple streaks. :p It is quite helpful though.

pink.sara
August 19th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Since I look awful with short hair, I only use this rule for dyeing and trimming, never major cuts. xD; And even then, my urges aren't defeated completely, which is why I now have purple streaks. :p It is quite helpful though.

Purple streaks?! :D
Did you Pravana then? I hope you like it and it sticks around if you did!

The 2 week rule is a new addition to my hair torture routine. It's helping...my ends are an inch longer in a month and the breakage has slowed massively. It's all about the 2 week rule... :agree:

LutraLutra
August 19th, 2009, 11:58 AM
(snip!)
It's all about the 2 week rule... :agree:

Oh. Yes. Some of the best advice, ever. :D

GlassEyes
August 19th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Purple streaks?! :D
Did you Pravana then? I hope you like it and it sticks around if you did!

The 2 week rule is a new addition to my hair torture routine. It's helping...my ends are an inch longer in a month and the breakage has slowed massively. It's all about the 2 week rule... :agree:
Oh, yes I did. xD;

So far, it's sticking around. There was some initial fading (which was good--it turned my BLEACHED hair near-black), but the color that it's at now has been the same for a few days. :o If it lasts more than 2 months, I'll keep using it--that's about how long it took for SE to completely fade.

melrose1985
August 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hooray! for you! I think about cutting my hair and coloring it. But most of the time they are passing thoughts. A couple of weeks ago i was going to dye my hair black. I wanted to so bad but my mom kept saying it wasnt a good idea so i put it back and left the store. A couple of weeks later She was like "oh fine... just go dye your hair." and i was like "nope i dont want to" For some reason i need her to tell me i can do it for it to be okay. I dont know why.

While it's growing it's hard sometimes to not want an instant change kodus to you for hanging in there!

Maddy25
August 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hooray! for you! I think about cutting my hair and coloring it. But most of the time they are passing thoughts. A couple of weeks ago i was going to dye my hair black. I wanted to so bad but my mom kept saying it wasnt a good idea so i put it back and left the store. A couple of weeks later She was like "oh fine... just go dye your hair." and i was like "nope i dont want to" For some reason i need her to tell me i can do it for it to be okay. I dont know why.

While it's growing it's hard sometimes to not want an instant change kodus to you for hanging in there!

haha i bought black hair dye the first time and my mom cried and made me return it :rolleyes: So when I actually did dye it black I did it in a friends bathroom lol.

heidihug
August 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
When I was younger than 35 or so, I could have used this rule. I didn't know it, though, and impulse after impulse let me to torture my hair left and right with perms and salon color and heat and lots of hair spray.

But now I am incredibly NOT impulsive in any way. Is it acquired wisdom? Laziness? Increasing patience? Or perhaps I am more at peace with my appearance than I was when I was younger and I was worried about being trendy and fitting in. Don't know, but, happily, I rarely have any reason to invoke the 2-week rule anymore.

RancheroTheBee
August 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I tend to ignore it for things I know that I rarely end up regretting, i.e.: color, cutting in bangs. Those things I do freely, because especially with the bangs, I know any mistakes will grow out in a few weeks anyway.

However, my big problem was all over trimming. I used to cut off several inches at a time whenever I suspected damage, and so after two years after shaving my head, I was still barely chin. I applied my own month-long rule, which took me a while to stick to, but currently, I'm at two months and nineteen days of no trimming!

spidermom
August 19th, 2009, 12:32 PM
The two-week rule is pretty useless for me because I go through styles that I want in my mind and back again to long hair then back to cuts I want in the space of an hour, every hour. I finally decided my rule is "accomplish the current goal (classic) before setting a new one."

irishcurls
August 19th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I have the week rule as well. My mom unfortunately learned about the two week rule after a traumatic barber shop experience. Her almost arm pit length hair was cut to her chin. I went away to a place that was cool all of the time. I left and came back to a place that often has days that are almost 100 degrees if not higher. I came real close to cutting it but I said I would wait. I did and two days later I decided not to cut it. That is a family rule in the hair growing house. I do love your hair and am glad you didnt change it.

LaurelSpring
August 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
This is a timely thread. I am having one of those ..I must have more bangs tonight feelings.

Eolan
August 19th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Good for you, Maddy25! The two weeks rule helped me not to cut bangs. Like, a hundred times already. I love bangs, but they are not fot me. I tend to forget it from time to time though. :rolleyes:

JamieLeigh
August 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM
The two-week rule is definitely a good thing for me. I change my mind so quickly, that I'm surprised I actually still have hair. :p My favorite process is thinking, "What I Want More Is....." whenever I think I want to do something to my hair. That also works for me in other areas of life, like my weight loss. I think, "I really want that fudgy sundae...but what I want more is to fit into my jeans this winter."

With hair, I think, "That fringe would look so cute on me...but what I want more is long healthy, all-one-length hair!" Lol.

Fiferstone
August 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hey Eric, I'm following the two-decade rule myself! Last "above the shoulders" chop was in 19-and-88 :cheese:

lundmir
August 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I never listen to the 2 week rule since I'm waaaay too impulsive. Gladly, I always end up pleased with the results.

Roseate
August 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM
The two-week rule is pretty useless for me because I go through styles that I want in my mind and back again to long hair then back to cuts I want in the space of an hour, every hour. I finally decided my rule is "accomplish the current goal (classic) before setting a new one."

This is pretty much how I have to do it, too. I've thought about cutting my bangs blunt and short again just about every day since I started to let them grow. But then the next day I'll think about how much I like them longer.

I have a one-year rule for tattoos. I get the design drawn up, actual size, all placement decisions made, then I have to continually like it for a full year before I go the distance. This has worked out well, not a hint of tattoo-regret.

going gray
August 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Well, I waited 2 weeks "pondered & fretted" A LOT & still cut my 23" hair ANYWAY! It's almost like I was possessed, because I knew it wasn't what I really wanted to do. Didn't even take 3 days & I was full of regret!

Deborah
August 19th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I am so delighted that you kept your beautiful blonde hair!! :cheese: Excellent and wise choice!

paper
August 20th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I think the 2 week rule is a good one! Last week, I was so sure I wanted to cut off alot of this old dye. I decided to wait the 2 weeks. A few days later, I decided I just couldn't do it! I'm so glad I waited!