PDA

View Full Version : *DOH* moments!

Curlsgirl
August 19th, 2009, 07:33 AM
If you aren't sure I am talking about times when you had been searching for the answer or having a problem with your hair for a long time either with your routine, updo, style whatever and you had that moment where you realize what to do to solve it and couldn't BELIEVE you didn't think of it or try it before!

I have 2 at the moment:

1. I bought 2 Denman brushes way back a few years ago and thought they really didn't help me except for updos when I read on the wurly/curly thread they could help CURL CLUMPING! I dug the brushes out and indeed it solved this problem I have had for YEARS of trying to get my curls to clump together instead of separate too much!

2. I regretted cutting my bangs too heavily and didn't know what to do about it until last night I got this brilliant idea of only bringing a few down and arranging the rest to the side so my bangs look thinner. It worked like magic.

I feel so silly for not thinking of these things before but I am glad I found them!

Do you have a *DOH* moment (s) you want to share?

Quixii
August 19th, 2009, 07:43 AM
For years I was trying to figure why my hair was all frizzy wavy. I tried so many anti-frizz conditioners and shampoos and stuff. And then one day, by accident, I let it dry without brushing it, and when I next looked at it, it was curly! I was shocked. I though my curls had gone away when I got length. I felt so dumb - no duh brushing out curls = frizzy waves!

kdaniels8811
August 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Mine is forgetting to clarify in the rare times my hair acts goofy. I need it every three months or so. I posted here "why is my hair going nuts?" and the response was to clarify. Duh! I did and it is back to normal, shiny and soft. You are not the only one!

ericthegreat
August 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I used to either leave my hair completely loose and down or just put it in a ponytail when I went swimming. I also didn't slather conditioner or any kind of oil to form a protective barrier against the water either. Can we say MAJOR knots and tangles and dry, "nightmare to detangle" hair? You betcha.

I now always wet my hair down and slather it with my CO conditioner. Then I will quickly bun it and tuck it under my swim cap before heading into the pool. And at the beach, I will use an even stronger protection I will drown it in coconut or olive oil and then braid it down before jumping into the ocean.

Fractalsofhair
August 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM
When I realized blowdrying was really bad for my hair. Stylists always say it's harmless, and nearly everyone does it, but I didn't realize it was the main cause of my breakage!

pink.sara
August 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Using protein packs and restorers weekly then increasing to daily when my ends got even crunchier... *reads LHC* finds out the protein is causing the damage :rolleyes:

Switched to moisture :D

LutraLutra
August 19th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Wondering why when I used silcones, that are supposed to give you shiny lovely hair, my hair just seemed drier and drier. So ofcourse I kept using more and more cones, because obviously I wasn't using enough... :brainbleach:

peachrose
August 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I've had a couple...

1. Pre-LHC I always thought I had really crappy hair in general although every once in awhile it would be really nice, smooth and not so poofy. I never really put it together that those good hair days happened when my hair dried while being contained in a hat. Now I never leave my hair loose to air dry, it's always bunned or braided. Wish I had put two and two together sooner!

2. Cutting your own hair during an emotional fit doesn't really help and isn't actually such a great idea. I was pretty depressed as a teen and always would lash out on my hair only to feel worse after cutting it off. Took me quite awhile to figure out some healthy coping mechanisms.

apynip
August 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I've had a couple...

2. Cutting your own hair during an emotional fit doesn't really help and isn't actually such a great idea. I was pretty depressed as a teen and always would lash out on my hair only to feel worse after cutting it off. Took me quite awhile to figure out some healthy coping mechanisms.

I second that one. though i'm learning while still being a teen.

Mine is probably when i was in dance i have fly aways that would make a 'halo' on stage so i would douse my hair with tons of hair gel.
Well, later i learned maybe using a soft brush with a lil hair spray or not washing my hair the night before might help... :\

DragonLady
August 20th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Being stuck at mid-back for years and not understanding why. I came here, and a month later had a Doh! moment when I realized it was breaking off from rubbing against my chair.

SheaLynne
August 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I never used conditioner because the few times I had tried it, my hair felt greasy and limp. Never tried it again for *years* just thinking it wasn't for my hair.

Now with LHC, I learned that I probably wasn't rinsing well, and now I'm even CO washing and my hair feels GREAT!!!

Talk about feeling sloooooowwww...doh!

GlassEyes
August 24th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Not a direct slow 'hair moment' but related.

Somehow, after buying all this hair stuff off etsy, I never realized that people were leaving feedback for me until I thought about it, and found the section where they were. D: Thankfully, it's all positive. XD;

LittleOrca
August 25th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Not related to hair, but...

When my stepdad's brother was visiting us from Hawaii, he slept on the couch. My fiance and I went downstairs to get a soda and I told him to be quite so we would not wake Juan. What is so "DOh" about that? The man is nearly stone deaf and unless his hearing aids are in (which he does not sleep in them) he can't hear a thing.