PDA

View Full Version : Face cream on hair?

violetka
August 19th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Would you put rich and natural face cream on your hair? I have some creams which are supposed to be very good, but I cannot use them for my face(I have oily skin and these are for normal/dry skin, however i have dryish hair), but am reluctant to throw them away. They contain nice ingredients, from what i can tell and they are quite expensive to be waisted. I cannot give them away, because i have tried them all. They also have SPF, which would offer protection for my hair. I was suggested to do this by my hairdresser relative...
So..would you?
TIA

SHELIAANN1969
August 19th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I would try it, but of course I will try just about anything! ;)

If it's natural, it would be hard to go wrong, just try a little at a time to see how it works out. :flower:

*Rose Red*
August 19th, 2009, 06:18 AM
I sometimes use a little bit of my aubrey organics face cream for my hair, they really like it! Have a look at the ingredients, and if it´s ok, why not trying it?
I know some people who use hand cream as leave-in, why not face cream?

Samitra
August 19th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I've used both face cream and hand lotion in different deep treatments, pre-wash. I don't know if really made any difference, but my hair felt just as good as it normally does after a DT :)

violetka
August 19th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks so much for the answers, I used it already as a detangler and it worked really well.:) It smells very nice too. I am not familiar with deep treatment, but I guess it is something like a hair mask?

Samitra
August 19th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks so much for the answers, I used it already as a detangler and it worked really well.:) It smells very nice too. I am not familiar with deep treatment, but I guess it is something like a hair mask?

Yes, it is :)

didrash
August 19th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I have tried it :). It was waaaay too greasy and a disaster to wash out....

ericthegreat
August 19th, 2009, 07:38 AM
That actually sounds like an interesting idea! Why not, if its safe enough for your skin, it should definitely be safe to use on your hair. I do agree with one of the above posters though, it might turn out to be rather greasy so I would experiment with just a little bit at a time first.

Dvips
August 19th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I used to do this regularly with commercial body lotions (probably St Ives Extra Dry*) when I still used commercial shampoos (probably Salon Selectives*). I would wet me hair, braid it, put lots of lotion on the braid, put it up under a bandanna, ride for a couple of hours, then shampoo & condition. No problems!

*this was back in the late 80's/early 90's, so I'm not sure of the products

sherigayle
August 19th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I regularly smooth my hands though my hair when I put on hand cream. It works well when my hair is kind of frizzy and needs some weight to keep it down. I don't use much, just a little more than what my hands will absorb, then smooth the extra through my hair.

Fractalsofhair
August 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM
The only time I wouldn't suggest doing this is if it's an anti acne med or some other one that isn't just a good moisturizer. Those can have harsh acids and such that could destroy your hair.

Other than that, the biggest risk would be oily hair!

Rohele
August 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I've used the excess on my hands to smooth down frizzy hairs before, but I've never used it as a deep treatment or leave in type treatment.

spidermom
August 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Why not give it a try? I have a nice hemp moisturizing lotion that I use on my ends sometimes. I think it helps.

Eolan
August 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Thank you for posting this! I'm in the hunt for a cone free frizz tamer, and I know what I'll try next... :D

Angharad
August 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Sometimes I use the Weleda skincream (in a green package) for giving some extra moisture to my dry ends.

Rose J.
August 19th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I have never tried it, but I would if my lotion (or whatever) was cone free and had nothing in it to cause buildup. The borage oil lotion I use has dimethicone.

marikamt
August 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I regularly smooth my hands though my hair when I put on hand cream. It works well when my hair is kind of frizzy and needs some weight to keep it down. I don't use much, just a little more than what my hands will absorb, then smooth the extra through my hair.

Me too!!:D