PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping?

mommy101405
April 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
What's the best way to protect your hair while sleeping? I am a very restless sleeper. I have recently started braiding at night and it has virtually eliminated my tangles in the morning. Also, I have a silk pillow case. Is there anything else I can do?

Cloverleaf
April 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM
The best solution I've found is to put a loose bun on top with a scrunchie - it out of the way and keeps the hair protected. I also alternate this with braiding. The silk pillow case has helped me also.

mommy101405
April 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
The best solution I've found is to put a loose bun on top with a scrunchie - it out of the way and keeps the hair protected. I also alternate this with braiding. The silk pillow case has helped me also.

I dont have enough length to get the bun high enough not to bug me all night. Getting there though.

spidermom
April 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'm a restless sleeper, too. For 2-3 years, I did a top of head bun every night. Then I noticed that the bottom-most layer of hair looked thrashed. Broken off. Split to pieces. Now I'm trying to learn how to sleep with braids. I feel it when I change position and it wakes me up. My undereye circles are getting deeper and deeper, but I'm saving my nape hair. (P.S. I use a satin-y pillow case.)

ChloeDharma
April 15th, 2008, 08:18 PM
What you are doing sounds fine to me. I'd predictably say to add oiling but i say that no matter what the question ;)

Growin' It
April 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM
What about protecting the tassel? That's the bit that seems to suffer when I turn over.

Curlsgirl
I have recently been braiding over one shoulder or the other. If I get it at the right place I can't feel it much either on that side or on my back both of which I like to sleep. Sometimes I just have to do without and let it go free. It really depends on what mood I am in! I can't do the bun or anything on top. It seems to make my scalp sore even if I do it loosely. :shrug: I wish I could!

mommy2one05
I normally wear mine loose or in a loose scrunchy pony, except when i have been trying an oiling the night before a wash and then I will braid...but braids make my hair have very poufy wavy hair that I can not fix unless I wash it.

ChloeDharma
April 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM
What about protecting the tassel? That's the bit that seems to suffer when I turn over.

Maybe Spidermoms method of tying it off will help....
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2917

Legend
April 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I think I’m somewhat paranoid about my hair... :o

Before bed, I braid it, pin it up, tie a silk scarf around it, and sleep on satin just in case the scarf comes off. (I’m also a restless sleeper.)

willowcandra
April 16th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I sleep with a braid or sleep tail but I always coil it up on the pillow so I dont get trapped in it when I roll over.

Pierre
April 16th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I put a Buff on and stuff my hair into it on top of my head. I've been doing that for several months, and it seems to be working, but I haven't measured lately.

jojo
April 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I put mine in 2 braids, but not because im a restless sleeper but because my dog puts her paws on it and nearly scalps me and then there was the time her collar got caught! she also has the habit of licking the oil off my hair, so when i do an overnight oil i put a woolly hat on, very fetching! its a good job my dh understands my obession!

Anje
April 16th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I stuff my hair in a cheap satin sleep bonnet instead of using a satin pillow. This is because (1) I don't tend to sleep with my head (much less hair) on a pillow, (2) I find the polyester satin doesn't feel good on my face, and (3) I have a braid-munching kitty. I can also be more consistent with the bonnet while traveling.

And yes, it looks silly and very not-sexy. I don't wear it when I want to look sexy.

jojo
April 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM
i dont know, woolly hat and apple catcher knickers might catch on, you never know:D