PDA

View Full Version : Elastic Hair Bands

LittleOrca
August 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
How do you feel about them?

Just for the sake of sameness in the poll, we are talking about typical elastic bands that have no metal clip in them that will pull out hair. The damage spoke of here is that elastic hair bands can crush your hair.

From what I have read, elastic bands with cloth on them are better, but then I think of "scrunchies." I use elastic bands a lot in some of my buns and braids and I have not noticed any damage from them. I just want to see what others' experiences are.

Edit: I know there are typos in the poll. :o silly me

Fractalsofhair
August 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I use them, and find them to be pretty non damaging. However, I generally use a doubled over cloth headband! XD

Now my hair is shorter, so I put it back using a headband.

Overall, they're pretty non damaging and scunchies aren't bad things, just not fashionable. They're great for bed and for working out.

marzipanthecat
August 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I use them, but not very often. Well, about once or twice a week (does that count as not very often???)

I usually use my scrunchies. They seem to be having a pretty good revival in the UK, all things 1980s are very fashionable again! I purchased some great leopard print ones last week.

Charentais
August 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I suspect that they might damage my fine hair, so I use them sparingly.

Ryanne
August 18th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I use them. I don't know if they cause much damage.

embee
August 18th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I use them - not every day - and do not find them damaging. I use an old stretched out one for my night-time top-knot, with a big old hairpin. Often the silly thing falls out when I remove the hairpin in the morning!

Heidi_234
August 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I don't wear ponytails anymore. They seem to look extra ugly on me for some reason :(

Carolyn
August 18th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I've used them for years and don't think they are damaging.

meph
August 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I use them every day and I don't see any damage from it.

Hiriel
August 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks to LHC I now only use my no metal-elastics, and I intend to keep using them. The ones with metal would snag hairs and pull them out, but I don't notice any damage from these. (They were actually sold as "No damage elastics". They're from Denman.)

kirky
August 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I use them, mostly because I find them comfortable, easy to use, and I love the variety of bright colours!

LutraLutra
August 18th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Cheap, generic elastics pull my hair out, but I bought a packet of Blax Hair Elastics last year and I love them - they hold my hair in place and I can remove them without any pulling.

Reptilia
August 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I use some that have the fabric coating on them. As long as I don't put them in too tight or rip them out, they're fine for me!

ChrissieM
August 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I don't use elastic bands anymore...a scrunchie holds well enough. Even the non-metal elastic bands are damaging to my hair...that bit of glue holding the ends together is sharp when the band is all stretched out. I wear a scrunchie for a gym ponytail, and a flexi-8 for an everyday ponytail.

masterofmidgets
August 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I have a couple elastics I use mostly for sock buns. Other than that I prefer the tiny light bands I got at Walmart, which are a sort of terry knit thing and perfect for tying off braids, and scrunchies, which are good for everything else. Elastic bands always pull my hair or feel too tight and give me a headache.

Oh, and my mom gave me a bunch of hair bunjiis last month, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use them.

Rebelkat
August 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I do use no-damage elastics and I've never noticed any damage from them. Usually, my hair damages my bands. On windy days, my hair will get it in a death grip, and while my hair comes out unharmed, the band usually snaps. Also, after about 10 uses, the elastic is so stretched out that the bands are useless anyway. All in all, I think my hair would receive more damage if I wore it down all the time than it does from elastic bands. There aren't many styles I can do without the aid of bands. :o

AJoifulNoise
August 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I use them sparingly because I know they do cause some damage to my hair. Usually for pony tails (which I rarely do) I use scrunchies. But things like chinese buns need an elastic tie (for me). I just don't do them as often as styles the require sticks alone.

The main thing I use elastics for is braid ends. And, I figure that's not as bad because the tie is always in a different place.

dernhelm
August 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I do use them, but not very often. I haven't noticed any damage from them.

skydancer7
August 18th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I use them often. My hair seems to be made of iron though, so I don't worry as much about damage.

paintedmuse
August 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I know they're supposed to be damaging, but I haven't noticed any damage from using them. :)

Beldaran
August 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I know you tried to clarify, but are you talking one-piece bands like rubber bands (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=default&skuId=347455&productId=347455&navAction=push&navCount=15&no_new_crumb=true) that are for ends of braids, or the "ouchless" kind (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=300173&productId=300173&navAction=jump&navCount=3) that the ends are glued together?

If you mean the first kind, I stopped using them in favor of terry cloth bands (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=default&skuId=175184&productId=175184&navAction=push&navCount=25&no_new_crumb=true) for braid ends because I know the other kind are damaging.

If you mean the second kind, I use them occasionally for sock buns, but that's about it. I don't see them as that damaging if you don't put them in super tight.

spidermom
August 18th, 2009, 03:25 PM
My DD uses these, and she has a lot of broken-off hair right at ponytail length, so I blame the elastics along with chemical color, highlights, flat-ironing, and tightening her ponytail by pulling in opposite directions. Ouch! It hurts my hair just to see it, but she really doesn't care.

Anje
August 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I've had massive ponytail breakage from them in the past, but I still use elastics to hold the ends of my braids, because they don't stay too well if I don't secure them! I'm more careful these days, though, and I figure that I can cut those last few inches off relatively painlessly (compared to dealing with ponytail breakage!) if it gets too bad.

Charentais
August 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I have a couple elastics I use mostly for sock buns. Other than that I prefer the tiny light bands I got at Walmart, which are a sort of terry knit thing and perfect for tying off braids, and scrunchies, which are good for everything else. Elastic bands always pull my hair or feel too tight and give me a headache.

Oh, and my mom gave me a bunch of hair bunjiis last month, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use them.

I recently bought some of those little terry knit ties, and so far I really like them.

rexy
August 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I used to use them, but when I found out they did damage I stopped. Now all I use is my hair stick. Although I suppose if I went running I might use an elastic again

LittleOrca
August 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I know you tried to clarify, but are you talking one-piece bands like rubber bands (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=default&skuId=347455&productId=347455&navAction=push&navCount=15&no_new_crumb=true) that are for ends of braids, or the "ouchless" kind (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=300173&productId=300173&navAction=jump&navCount=3) that the ends are glued together?

The ouchless kind. :)

smilinjenn71
August 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM

If you mean the first kind, I stopped using them in favor of terry cloth bands (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=default&skuId=175184&productId=175184&navAction=push&navCount=25&no_new_crumb=true) for braid ends because I know the other kind are damaging.

If you mean the second kind, I use them occasionally for sock buns, but that's about it. I don't see them as that damaging if you don't put them in super tight.

I have fine hair but a lot of it. Hubby and I started seriously exercising in mid June. I was using the "ouchless" kind to put my hair in pig-tails while we worked out. Wellllllll.... it took me about 6-8 weeks later to realize that they were indeed breaking my hair.:justy:Now keep in mind, I was using them 6 days a week, so occassionally might not be so bad. I was soooooo disappointed though!

Recently I picked up some new thingies - kinda terry cloth like. I would post a link but don't know how to do that.....sowwy. They hold my hair really well but I can tell that they don't pull the same way as other elastics do.

tommiefromva
August 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I use them with no noticeable damage

tangocurl
August 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM

I much prefer the terry elastics and the elastics that are some sort of rolled seamless loop of lycra fabric; here http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=10&pid=25&lp=5. I don't like the regular "no damage" elastics with that scratchy little knot of glue holding them together. I'm going to take a bunch of those I have lying around and make them into scrunchies.

yellowchariot
August 18th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I use them all of the time, and in different sizes. No damage that I can tell. However I do know that if you tend to pull them out too fast, then a few hairs will come out with the elastic.

ericthegreat
August 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I use them all the time since my default hairstyle other than down and straight is the ponytail.
I use the Ouchless kind of hair elastics, either from Goody or from Scunci.

And maybe its just me, but I really don't like scrunchies or those thick fabric kind of hair ties. I like thin, easily concealable hair elastics, so that all the focus lies squarely on my ponytail and not on the hair tie.

UncommonTart
August 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I haven't noticed any damage from the "ouchless" elastics. I use them occasionally, maybe even a couple of times a week some weeks, and I try to avoid wearing them too tightly, or putting them in the same place all the time to minimize repeatedly putting excess pressure on any specific point.

Heavenly Locks
August 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I suspect that they might damage my fine hair, so I use them sparingly.

me too! I have been wearing more hair pins than elastics lately. :)

Kat
August 18th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I *don't think* I have seen damage. At least, I don't notice that at the ends of my hair, I see extra breakage or bent hairs or anything. It's hard to tell because my hair is damaged anyway, though, but the damage seems to be all over, not in one specific place.

Elphie
August 18th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I use them more to tie off braids than anything else, but I do use them and haven't noticed any damage from doing so.

twilight_faerie
August 18th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I use them almost every day and have never found them to be damaging.

Jinx2234
August 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I don't use them. I used to, but all of them either snapped or got lost. I didn't notice any damage when I was using them, but this was before TLHC so I wasn't really paying attention either.

Rose J.
August 18th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I use them, and I know they are bad for my hair because I often snap or rip some hairs. I have to use them though, because my only style is pretty much a ponytail.

JamieLeigh
August 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I picked "I use them and I know they are damaging", because I'm aware of the fact that they can cause breakage. I've only seen a little bit of it on myself, however, and I try not to wear them in such a way that they pull on my hair so much and cause said breakage. I don't wear tight ponytails, or top of head ponytails anymore (since those would have to be pulled tight). And when I do ponytails, I NEVER separate the tail into two strands and pull them apart to tighten it. That is what used to cause so much breakage on my own head from using these.

I think if you're careful about using them, they can be ok. I still prefer a good scrunchie, but if you don't want the cloth visible in your updos that have a ponytail base, what can ya do? lol :)

Quixii
August 19th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I've used them every day in the same place on my head for the past 5+ years. I don't know about you, but I don't see any damage when I look at pictures of the back of my head or anything. :shrug:
Scrunchies tend to slip out of my hair, or at least, have in the past. Other wise I might try those, just in case it's causing less noticeable damage.

Adrienne
August 19th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I recently Decided that If I put the band in to tight,or if I wrap it around to many times. when I take it out, I might accidently pull out a few strands. I have to start being more carefull.

Monsterkitti
August 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I dont use them as they damage my hair. I think its mainly how I put them in and pull them out though, Im sure I could minimise it if I was really careful but I prefer to avoid the possible, clumsy removal damage all together :)

Peregrine
August 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I don't use them. I tend to pull out my hair when taking them out. Scrunchies work for me, I'm not very fashion conscious.

thankyousir74
August 19th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I use them and I know of the damage they cause only vicariously. I haven't experienced any first hand (or if I have, I attribute it to normal wear and tear). I can't lose the habit, I find them so goshdarned practical!

amyapple329
August 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I don't use them very much but I havent ever had a problem with them. They seem to go in and out ok.

frangipani
August 20th, 2009, 01:12 AM
i use the 'no damage' type that are glued together,i think the brand is scunci. they come in shades that blend into your hair colour which is delightful, the thing that annoys me about them however, is how quickly they break. one flew off me and flicked the lady next to me at the gym the other day. how embarassing :( they are also a bit more expensive to replace
as for the plastic 'snagfree' ones, they suck balls, they do so snag! not a fan, hmph

Flynn
August 20th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I always unwind, not rip, and have never really had any issues I would blame on the elastics.

Bianca
August 20th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I use them sometimes, no damage :)

Norai
August 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I use them for braids, but I vote I don't use them because I don't use them for high ponytails and the like - I used to do that all the time for sports stuff and got a ton of damage from them with the ponytails (okay so I wasn't gentle back then either, but I'm still scared).

HisForever
August 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I use them sometimes, I use to use them a lot at my old job when my hair was longer. I dont think they do any damage to my hair, but then again, if you were to wear them as tight as you can, im sure you might get some damage over time.

jasper
August 20th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I just decided to stop using them. Mine never come out without bringing a hair or two (or more) along. Also I can't ignore all the short hairs at the nape of my neck any longer. They're all just the right length to have been broken off in a pony tail elastic.

willowcandra
August 21st, 2009, 02:16 AM
I don't find damage. But I used to. I used to do my ponytails really tight with thick bands and I got a line of breakage. Most of the time I make the tails for buns so I realised I could switch to a thinner weaker band that wouldn't hold a ponytail up but is enough to for a bun base. I avoid making tight tails for things like high braids for this same reason-favouring dutch braid instead.

Bands are fine as long as they don't have metal and aren't tight. I tied dd's ponytails tight for several months and she had alot of breakage around the band. I try to do her tails looser and lower now also.

I have found myself increasingly avoiding bands though so maybe I've noticed it without thinking about it much. I have been going for dutch/french braids, log rolls and flipped buns more.

willowcandra
August 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM
I just decided to stop using them. Mine never come out without bringing a hair or two (or more) along. Also I can't ignore all the short hairs at the nape of my neck any longer. They're all just the right length to have been broken off in a pony tail elastic.

I never stopped to consider that my short nape hairs could be caused by bands.:eek:

magpielaura
August 21st, 2009, 02:41 AM
I've been using them on the end of my sleep braid and I don't think they cause too much damage. The hair there is probably the most fragile part so I think I would be noticing breakage by now if it were a problem. I don't think any other type of tie will stay on my plait overnight anyway!

Most of the updo's I do don't need an elastic, but I have some thicker ones that blend in well if I do. As the base or start of a bun they can be pretty loose - not like the scraped back tight ponytails from when I was 10, with a frizzy cloud of broken-off hairs around my face!

Fethenwen
August 21st, 2009, 03:12 AM

I use the terry cloth ones too, I recently found a bunch in really nice dimmed colors. They seem to be very easy on the hair.
In the past I had damage from elastics, I used those with metal and had my hair in a ponytail everyday :rolleyes:

shadowclaw
August 21st, 2009, 08:00 AM
I use the ouchless ones from Goodie. They don't seem to be doing any damage, but that's probably because they get stretched out after one or two uses. and lose their tightness.

windinherhair
August 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM
I use them... just not very often. :)

jasper
August 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM
I never stopped to consider that my short nape hairs could be caused by bands.:eek:
I was using StayPut elastics by Goody and wrapping them really tight to keep a doubled up pony tail up high through indoor cycling classes. It was fairly brutal hair treatment. So I have a lot of short nape hair.

I use the terry cloth ones too, I recently found a bunch in really nice dimmed colors. They seem to be very easy on the hair.
In the past I had damage from elastics, I used those with metal and had my hair in a ponytail everyday :rolleyes:
I forgot about the terry cloth kind. I'll have to get some for those buns that start out with a ponytail.

cobblersmaid
August 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
I use the ouchless ones to secure the ends of my braids. I think they cause more splits, but they are cheap and easy, so I ignore it. :shrug:

curls2grow
August 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
I use the BLAX hair elastics (http://smoothiesbyintuition.com/blax-.html) (made from polyurethane) -- I love them! Sephora sells the exact same item under their own name, if anyone ever needs something under $4 to pad their order to get free shipping sometime. Definitely worth trying; I have the Sephora ones too for that reason. :D

I have them in both thicknesses -- 2mm and 4mm. I have a small pony cirucumference, so I can shwing them around twice, but most of the time I just wear them in their original 1-loop around my ponytail for a very loose (on me) and very comfortable fit. Oh, and no hair damage at all from these.

Even the hosiery-type material non-metal seam-free ones would catch my hairs sometimes and pull them out.

The BLAX type are the best I've ever used.

Laylah
August 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
I don't use them anymore anything except for tying off braids. I don't think they cause damage, but the weight of a ponytail gives me a headache when I was past BSL. They're too small for buns.

However I use them almost everyday to tie off braids.

Spring
August 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I'm a scrunchii user and they seem to be pretty gentle :p

LadyLongLocks
August 26th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I use them and see no damage. I wear 2 for a ponytail since my hair is so thick and heavy. Although I never actually wear a ponytail(because of the weight) I sometimes make a tight pony with the 2 bands when I make a bun. This helps hold the bun secure, especially if I make an unstructured messy type, a braided bun or a rope bun. The bands even help hold hair sticks in if I thread the stick through it.
Thank goodness they started making the safer metal free bands.

jasper
September 6th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I got some little terry ouchless ones. I can barely even call these things elastics because strands of elastic woven through the fuzzy fiber are thinner than my fine hair. They work for holding the end of a sleep braid (as long as I don't have heavy oil on) but (grrr) they won't work as an anchor for an updo. I think for my slippery hair, nothing that isn't tight or grippy enough to break it will hold it.

Liluri
September 6th, 2009, 05:44 AM
When I do use elastics, which is rare, I generally use bunjii/bungees or elastics I can close with bobbles so the damage is reduced. I have scrunchies that holds up buns at night as well. I tend to avoid normal elastic bands.

brownthistle
September 6th, 2009, 06:23 AM
i use a very soft variety which i assume won't do much damage. also i never make ponytails and only use them for the ends when i braid. hope i am on the safe side....

slb2221
December 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I use them..they are not damaging to my hair

Kalyca
December 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I use them and haven't noticed any damage from them. i try to tie them loosely otherwise i could see it causing damage if they're too tight.

Thegreenkiwi
December 13th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I didn't think about them being damaging.

I do buy non-metal clip ones though and tend to not put them in too tight as I get headaches from up-dos if too close to the scalp.

Since joining LHC I have been more gentle with removing hair bands and in general (as in if it's trapped under a handbag strap or a child is leaning against it etc).

Sara Smile
December 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I use them but I'm careful putting them in and taking them out. I haven't noticed them doing damage.

BranwenWolf
December 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I use them to secure braids, mine don't have metal on the ends. I don't see any damage. (but hit the wrong poll option, argh!)

I can't use them at the top of my head, that's scrunchies only.

ArienEllariel
December 14th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I much prefer the terry elastics and the elastics that are some sort of rolled seamless loop of lycra fabric; here http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=10&pid=25&lp=5. I don't like the regular "no damage" elastics with that scratchy little knot of glue holding them together. I'm going to take a bunch of those I have lying around and make them into scrunchies.

oh! I didn't know about these. The ouchless hairties still snag my hair somewhat when I take them out so I'll have to look for these! :D

BunnyBee
December 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I don't use them. I use silk scrunchies around the house or to bed and cut up tights material for the end of braids :)

enfys
December 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I voted cheese since I always use the metal clip ones. Never seen a broken hair from using them for 21 years.

My hair needs a heavy duty restraint.

My only possible complaint about elastics could be that they cause that dent, but I don't wear my hair down for it to notice.

Kris Dove
December 14th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I use them, but haven't noticed much damage. Although I'm cutting down on using them and trying chopped up rings of opaque tights to fasten my braids instead these days as I read somewhere on here that that was less damaging.

florenonite
December 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I use them, and I don't seem to get any damage from them.

Tinose
December 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I feel they damage my hair a little, but then my hair's rather fragile. I tend to avoid braids for this reason, since I've never found a completely non-damaging way to end them. I actually got a variety pack of silk scrunchies on etsy for about 50 cents each that I use for sleeping/when I don't care about appearance. I keep thinking about making braid end size scrunchies, but I need to get my sewing machine working first.

verene
December 14th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I've been using them for years - starting when I forgot a hair tie before a tennis match and had to use my orthodontia elastics to tie my hair out of my face. Not to hold in a pony-tail, or the end of a single braid any more. But I still use them any time I do multiple braids. The small elastic bands are the only things both small enough and with enough grip to stay. I don't seem to get major damage from them, they don't crimp my hair, and while I occasionally have a few strands pull loose, it's no worse than what I get with any other form of hair tie.

mrs carol
December 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I use them and I don't see any damage. I braid my hair every night when I go to bed and use an elastic band.

Rhiannon7
December 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM
i do use them only when i braid for sleep, cannot find scrunchies small enough or less bulky to hold my braid for sleep and be comfy. i did not know elastic bands without metal were damaging, have not noticed any damage myself but maybe i'm being positive because i need to hold the braid secure at night while i sleep.

Debra83
December 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I know they are damaging to my hair - a hairdresser kindly pointed out a couple of years ago to me the damage that they caused - which I was TOTALLY unaware of the breakage that was happening back there. A LOT of hair broke from them. I was using scrunchies and elastics and she put them in the same camp. I rarely use them now, and if I do they are really, really loose. I try to use a claw if I'm putting it up, but I mostly wear it down. Even at night.

Belisarius
December 20th, 2009, 03:05 PM
i use them, mainly because i still can't do braids and loose it can get even worse.

teela1978
December 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I use them, and don't notice any damage... I don't make very tight ponytails though. My personal theory is that the tightness is where damage happens. If I do a tight ponytail I get a pretty serious dent in my hair, whereas if I make it looser I don't get one. Assuming the dent is a visible sign of damage (and potential breakage with repeated denting), my looser version shouldn't be (as) damaging. I dunno. I think I'd die without hairties though.

maddog_running
December 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I use these dollarstore ouchless plastic bands that stretch and break after 2 uses. My hair is too short for anything but multiple ponies. I don't think I've seen any damage but someone mentioned to me my first day here that they might, so I try not to use in excess.

Yozhik
December 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I didn't realize that even the ones with no metal bands were damaging. . . I wear them in my hair every day because my hair isn't long enough to do otherwise if I want it up (which is most of the time since I can't concentrate when it's down) and I don't have many other hair tools.

I guess I'll have to try to use them more sparingly.

missjessiecakes
December 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM

I love those and thats what I've used in my hair since they came out. No noticeable damage then or now.

RoseRedDead
December 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I use them - it would not surprise me at all to learn that they are damaging.

I pretty much never ever wear ponytails, so I only use them to secure my braids. I figure the damage down there will get cut off eventually, so it's not a big deal.

*Aoife*
December 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I use them all the time. I can just about get my hair up in a bun and I'm still trying to figure out how to use hair sticks. I haven't noticed any damage on my night braids but I do pull out quite a few hairs when I take my ponytail down.

Beets
December 20th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I used them on the ends of braids--that's the only place they hold in my hair. When I try to use the small or medium ones for half-up styles, I inevitably snap a half dozen strands, and even the super-duper thick ones in a single ponytail tangle.

StrongWall
December 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I don't use them becuse they just slide off my hair. And i dont think i look good with my hair up.

orbiting
December 21st, 2009, 12:40 AM
I use them almost daily. Nothing else holds my hair. Claws are unbalanced. Scrunchis come out of my hair and look terrible. Ficcare's (real and fake) don't work for me. I can barely get hair sticks to stay. I can't wear claws, ficcares or hair sticks at work under my hat.

I have some good hair days pins, and they don't hold my hair unless it is soaking wet when I put it up.

I feel pretty stuck with them. :(

Deemeeuh
December 21st, 2009, 01:34 AM
Not sure if anyone has said this, but might I suggest cutting up pantyhose to use as hairbands? I have a ton of pantyhose from an old job (do not ask) and as a result have a ton of great hairbands. I cut them in varying sizes, from an inch strip to 3 or 4 inches. They are a lot more forgiving and less, er, solid if that makes sense than regular elastic bands. Depending on the color of your old pantyhose, they can blend in with your hair. I LOVE them!

Liat
December 21st, 2009, 02:29 AM

Captain Nikki
December 22nd, 2009, 01:56 AM
I used to use hair bands without any metal nearly every day. I would tie a very tight pony tail & then use a huge amount of hairspray on top to try to control the frizzies. For the last 2 or 3 weeks (for work, my hair must be up) i have been just been twisting my hair up & then using a claw to secure it. I have discovered the power of aloe gel & it tames the frizzies far better than the expensive hairsprays i used to use. In fact my hair is far less frizzy now.
Since i've stopped using the hair bands i have noticed FAR less split ends in my hair. I've also changed to a cone free conditioner so i'm pretty sure this has helped tremendously as well.

Sissy
December 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I voted... I use them, I didn't know they are damaging

I do use the non-metal kind that touts itself as no damage so I thought they'd be fine and did not realize damage is associated with them. I don't use them often but have not noticed any damage from them yet.

JenniferNoel
December 25th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I used to use them a few years ago, before I knew the damage they could do. I lost clumps of hair from careless, hurried handling (old job as an airport assistant :nono:) using them, but that was then. I recently decided I don't even really look that good in a ponytail either way.

Angelina15
December 25th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I use them pretty much everyday, and have never noticed any damage.

Imoness
December 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I wear them rather often (2-3 times a week) and never noticed any damage...

Locksmith
December 26th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I use the non-metal seamless ones to secure the end of my sleeping plait at night, and I've never noticed damage. *shrug* I try and vary where I secure it though, just in case of repeated stress, and I take care when removing them. For ponytails I just use a soft scrunchie. Fashion, schmashion. ;)

Coriander
December 29th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I use them, and I know they're damaging, especially if they're in the same spot day after day.

However, my cat loves them more than I do. They're his favorite playthings. :D

Calista
December 29th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I use terrycloth elastics to secure my nighttime braid, and I haven´t noticed any damaage that I can definitely say is related to the elastics. I do have damage at my lower length, but it can have lots of causes.

I might try not securing my nighttime braid at all. It is a thought... :hmm:

Brownie
December 29th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I use them almost daily, and I know they're a bit damaging, especially if they're in the same spot day after day. I don't really care, I only use them to secure my braids (ponytail → headache).

emi77
December 29th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I use them and know that they are damaging :o

I use the ones with the metal, because I can't find the others. :rolleyes:

I mainly use them for securing plaits- nothing holds them better! I sometimes use them for buns and ponys too- but usually just plaits.

I may try that pantyhose idea actually...... :D

curlylocks85
January 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
I use these and I have not seen much damage. I usually take them out of my hair slowly to reduce damage.

time_on_fire
January 2nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
I use the Scunci Hair Hosiery that was posted by Tangocurl, but I only use those for braid ends. Haven't seen any damage yet.

Scruncchies I use for a quick, higher bun for barn work or a bath, but I make sure they arent' too tight. I haven't worn a ponytail in quite a while...

Dragon
June 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I use them. I find they are less damaging but the problem I find with them is that they dont seem to last that long.

AZDesertRose
June 29th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I use the Scunci Hair Hosiery

Me too! I find that as long as I don't style my hair the same way all the time I don't get much damage.

Loreley
June 30th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I use them and I know they are a bit demaging.

Henrietta
August 11th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I use them, I have not seen any damage from them. Generally I use big, soft ones (for sleeping) and if I tie a braid with them, I don't do it very violently, so... So far we are friends.

tinti
August 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I use them and I know they are damaging, but I have'nt seen any damage except when they're ripping out hair (that rarely happens). And my mother have'nt said something about damage where I put the hair tie either.

blctsyllwdg
August 12th, 2010, 09:46 AM
For a ponytail, I use the headbands. For ends, the hose type that is sold in the kids and a fwippy decor if I want.

emeraldfaery
August 12th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I've been using them more than I should these days. I do know they are damaging, but have only seen minimal damage from using them. I do intend on getting some more hair friendly ties soon.

HuggyBear
August 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I use elastic bands maybe once or twice a week and haven't noticed any damage yet but I do try to not put them in the same place more than once a week.

breezefaerie
August 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I use the hose-type bands and haven't seen any damage from them.

Fiorentina
April 30th, 2023, 03:56 PM
I don't use them, I know they are damaging