PDA

View Full Version : The Wavy and Wurly thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Roseate
August 18th, 2009, 11:20 AM
By special request, from over in the Wurly and Curly thread, here is a new thread for those of us living between the 1 and the 3... the 2's!

All those with sinuous snakey waves, lumps and bumps and the occasional spiral, come out of the woodwork and tell us about your hair. :)

Madonna-Fan
August 18th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hello Roseate!

I´m a wave-head, too :).
After the Hair wash I have got a structure of 2a or 2b,
some of the hair is almost sleek and some almost curly.
In the days after the Washing they get sleeker (1c).
Before I changed my hair routines my hair was very sleek (1b)
but now I´m happy with my waves.
But I feel like my waves are growing out,
because my natural dark blonde grows out very sleek
and my died light blonde is a lot wavier.
I hope that the roots become wavier :pray:.

How do you feel about your hair and how is it, Roseate?

Roseate
August 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM
How do you feel about your hair and how is it, Roseate?

I like my waves more all the time. For years I thought my hair was mostly straight but uncooperative, it's only over the past year that I have learned how to deal with my wurls. If I want sleeker waves I bun-dry it; takes all day but gives a very smooth result.

Since it's summer I've been wearing it down and wurly more lately, and I have a flaxseed gel that I like for keeping things neat. I'm pretty happy with it. Now if only it would grow!

Kiraela
August 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I too am a waveyhead. It varies between 1c/2a, and 2b/2c depending on the weather and what I do to it. Most often, it is something like a 2a/2c - loose waves with spirals... no 2b about it.

I'm still working on learning to love my waves, and not fight against them.

Charentais
August 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Wurly, here. Lookin' forward to following this thread.

Sometimes the hair annoys me because it cannot decide how to behave. Other times, I'm happy that I can have straightish hair one day and curly hair the next.

It's fine texture makes it hard to find gels and mousses to hold curl without weighing it down.

Ho hum!

Heidi_234
August 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Argh now I have thread-identity crisis - where do I belong more, here or there? :uhh:

Ryanne
August 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I'm in the same boat as Heidi_234. :ponder:

Roseate
August 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Argh now I have thread-identity crisis - where do I belong more, here or there? :uhh:

I know, right? I'm going to keep looking in on the real curlies, too. If for no other reason than to ogle their lovely corkscrews.

Heidi_234
August 18th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I know, right? I'm going to keep looking in on the real curlies, too. If for no other reason than to ogle their lovely corkscrews.
I can have cork screws if I try (documented!), does that mean I'm out? :p :cool:

Rohele
August 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Roseate, I'm glad you started up this thread! I lurk in the curly and wurly thread, but a lot of the advice given there does not work for me. I've got 2b/c hair (at least I think I do) with a very straight underlayer (1b/c I would guess).

I was going to start a new thread with this question, but since there is a wavy thread I'll post it here.

I'm wondering how many of you brush and comb your hair. The conventional wisdom for curlies and wavies is to not touch the curl after it dries, but if I do that I have waves, but they look all matted and gross, so I find I have to comb or brush sections and re-twirl the waves the next day. Does anyone else find this happens?

Heidi_234
August 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I'm in the same boat as Heidi_234. :ponder:
I know that long time ago there was a 2c/3a thread. I think we need it, we don't fit anywhere! :D

Roseate
August 18th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I don't comb on the first day after washing if I want defined wurls, but I do on later days when my waves are more relaxed. Combing turns them into ripples instead of clumps, but I like both looks.

It's been combed in this pic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2443&pictureid=40678), not in my avatar.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 18th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'm wondering how many of you brush and comb your hair. The conventional wisdom for curlies and wavies is to not touch the curl after it dries, but if I do that I have waves, but they look all matted and gross, so I find I have to comb or brush sections and re-twirl the waves the next day. Does anyone else find this happens?

I never ever ever brush my hair, if I do I instantly flash back to cher circa 1983. I poof and frizz like crazy. I use a baby brush to sleek back hairs when pulling back but other than that I never brush, ever. I comb with a wooden comb or a very wide tooth one when wet, apply whatever products I am using to set the curl, then scrunch/twirl a little to bring back the waves and thats pretty much it. The more I play with it the more frizz I get. I don't know if I answered your question or not but thats my general routine.

Woohoo :cheese: finally a curly/wavy thread I belong in!!

Charentais
August 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Roseate, I'm glad you started up this thread! I lurk in the curly and wurly thread, but a lot of the advice given there does not work for me. I've got 2b/c hair (at least I think I do) with a very straight underlayer (1b/c I would guess).

I was going to start a new thread with this question, but since there is a wavy thread I'll post it here.

I use a wide-toothed comb when wet and perhaps once when it's dry. I mostly finger-comb.

Curlsgirl
August 18th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I know that long time ago there was a 2c/3a thread. I think we need it, we don't fit anywhere! :D

The Wurly/curly thread was meant more as a 2c/3a thread actually. I started it and just left out the 2c/3a part. That's what we called ourselves on the first thread (Wurly/curly) so I just used that.

To me if your hair NEVER is straightish without blow-drying or flat-ironing or manipulating it somehow, you are not a wavy but a wurly/curly. But maybe that's just me. I don't want everyone to leave the other thread. :wail:

Rohele
August 18th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess my hair is not a typical wavy either. I wonder what the difference is - maybe I'm not as wavy, although roseate's looks good combed too, and she's much wavier than me...

This is my hair on Day 2 after I've combed it and brushed it - it loses a lot of the wave, but it's not really frizzy or poofy either.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2703&pictureid=48223

Here it is after being freshly washed and styled at a salon (the stylist scrunched it to death).

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2703&pictureid=39576

Heidi_234
August 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM
The Wurly/curly thread was meant more as a 2c/3a thread actually. I started it and just left out the 2c/3a part. That's what we called ourselves on the first thread (Wurly/curly) so I just used that.

To me if your hair NEVER is straightish without blow-drying or flat-ironing or manipulating it somehow, you are not a wavy but a wurly/curly. But maybe that's just me. I don't want everyone to leave the other thread. :wail:
Really? I didn't know that! It makes sense now, why wurly curly instead of "the wavy/curly thread". The thing is, real curlies mostly participate in it (:laugh:), I feel like the discussion is partly irrelevant for my hair (as some wavies here felt), but I suppose what will be discussed in here wouldn't be that much more of a use either - like brush/combing dry? A big no-no for me (us?).
Don't worry, your thread won't be left to die! For that metter, I'll take my 2c/3a wurly curly business to there, capiche? :flower:

Toadstool
August 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Me Me! I get ringlets in the front and then the rest is just wavy and when it's really short the back just looks straight.
can you get all the jessicurl and whatnot products in the UK or do we do any alternatives? Anyone??

Canarygirl
August 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM

I do! (brush/comb my hair). The way I think about it is that at shoulder length, I don't have enough curl in my hair for the totally-separated-into-clumps look to be cool. To me, my hair just looks kind of stringy and like I forgot to brush it. Maybe if I had more length I would change my opinion. Anyway, if I am successful with a CG product application AND comb it with a wide-tooth comb after it's dry, it will be wavier than normal but still "coiffed." I'm more comfortable with that.

Rohele, in your two photos you posted, mine would fall right in between your brushed result and your hairdresser-scrunched result. (when I use a wide-tooth comb after the CG routine, on dry hair)

LittleOrca
August 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Woot! A Wavy thread! :) Party over heeeeere!

http://yoursmiles.org/ssmile/music/s0503.gif

Curlsgirl
August 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Really? I didn't know that! It makes sense now, why wurly curly instead of "the wavy/curly thread". The thing is, real curlies mostly participate in it (:laugh:), I feel like the discussion is partly irrelevant for my hair (as some wavies here felt), but I suppose what will be discussed in here wouldn't be that much more of a use either - like brush/combing dry? A big no-no for me (us?).
Don't worry, your thread won't be left to die! For that metter, I'll take my 2c/3a wurly curly business to there, capiche? :flower:

Hmmmmmmm maybe if your hair is the type you can comb or brush and it's not a brillo pad then you are a wavy/wurly and if not you are a wurly/curly. Oh I am getting dizzy here! I am thinking maybe after reading some of the ideas in each thread you'll be able to tell which applies more. The things that apply to wavies really don't apply to me. Of course I may be TOTALLY wrong. I have been known to be before! :)

Xandergrammy
August 18th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Another Wavy/Wurly here... I really want to be a curly, but no such luck. As it is now, though, it's growing out of my head pretty wavy and I'm pretty happy with it. I get some spirals on the ends if I leave it alone while it's drying and use the right product. My hair is like many of you here- wavy/wurly on wash day and much straighter and sleeker as soon as I put a comb to it.
I have lots of pictures in my blog and photo albums. :flowers:

darkwaves
August 18th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'm glad you started this thread. I have a half-life as a wavy and I know I can learn so much from other wavy wurlies here.

Oh I am getting dizzy here! I am thinking maybe after reading some of the ideas in each thread you'll be able to tell which applies more. Are you like me -- curly when freshly washed, rinsed, whatever... but then the curl falls away? If so, you get to hang out on both of these threads!

Okay -- here's the most recent reasonable not-so-curly picture: (Yes, I know... my hair was shorter then, and I was slimmer, but, sigh, we all move on.)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/hairpix/pre-wash.jpg

Please? Say I can play here, too?

Dez
August 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
i think i could go in both places too. My hair has been confusing me lately. but i do have spirals mostly in back and the underneath hair. The canopy i have to scrunch alot and usually get spirals in the back but not the front and that's if i use gel. but by the end of the day my hair is frizzy? I never get good second day hair. I usually brush and wear up. I don't know. LOL I'm hoping when i find the right product i'll get great hair!

Aisha25
August 18th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I'll join im a wavy/wurly at times right now my hair wants to act like a 2a so I can live with that :D

Heidi_234
August 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Hmmmmmmm maybe if your hair is the type you can comb or brush and it's not a brillo pad then you are a wavy/wurly and if not you are a wurly/curly. Oh I am getting dizzy here! I am thinking maybe after reading some of the ideas in each thread you'll be able to tell which applies more. The things that apply to wavies really don't apply to me. Of course I may be TOTALLY wrong. I have been known to be before! :)
lol don't worry, it's not either/or, I'm sure I can learn here just as much as I can learn there (when I typed my hair I though "it looks like 2c's when it has a good day" :laugh:).
Hehe, actually my hair does resemble a brillo pad when combed out, that why I try my best to keep my hands off the comb between washes. I have one length shot of my hair combed out as a proof it doesn't turn into a the Triangle of Doom anymore, but it doesn't make my hair look good either.

Aditi
August 19th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Another Wavy here, i have waves of S shaped and sometimes they behave and become straight or turn little bit wurly. They really confuse :dizzy: me but i know better than to argue with them :D

Flynn
August 19th, 2009, 01:57 AM
By special request, from over in the Wurly and Curly thread, here is a new thread for those of us living between the 1 and the 3... the 2's!

All those with sinuous snakey waves, lumps and bumps and the occasional spiral, come out of the woodwork and tell us about your hair. :)

(Thanks, I've been really busy since I asked about it.)

Argh now I have thread-identity crisis - where do I belong more, here or there?

Both. I'm keeping an eye on the curly thread, too...

SO TRUE. This, and the other "I can't quite do what the curlies do" problems, is a large part of the reason I was wanting a thread for wavies and wurlies. When you're not actually curly, you can see when it is tangled! You have to do something about it! Gaaaah...

So, yes. I do brush. It does go boom, but I find that then twisting or bunning it clumps it back together into the wave pattern (I'm a very piecey, wurly, twisty 2b or 2b/2c)... to a pretty reasonable extent at least.

I've also been brushing while wet with conditioner in, but I'm thinking that's a really, really bad idea. My hair is quite fine, and I'm pretty sure I'm massacring it.

Flynn
August 19th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I have weird hair. I think it is a 2b as far as the period of the waves goes, but it all separates out and clumps up, because my "waves" are really loooong loose spirals. (If I let a single hair hang by itself, it definitely describes a spiral. Very much.)

I've been kind of pretending it's curly, but that just doesn't work. I have to detangle, for instance, because you can see it if I haven't. Oil and left-in conditioner shows up in my hair long before it would in a true curly... and anyway I think my hair is way too fine to be doing anything like brushing it while it is wet (I admit I am doing exactly that at the moment, but I think it is an absolutley awful idea.)

My hairs!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/maccallister/unbrushed2.png?t=1250669163
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/maccallister/AloeAndWalnutWaves.png?t=1250669151 http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/maccallister/Dreadwurls.png?t=1250669153

^ Not actually bun waves. It did that by itself.

janeytilllie
August 19th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Another wavy here :waving:
I'm happy there's a wavy thread :D
My waves tend be S shaped with curlies on the ends. My hair hates being brushed it makes my hair go proof!:justy:
I use a comb while wet because if I don't my hair clumps together and knots badly.

My waves :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=48225&albumid=2296&dl=1250625644&thumb=1

wiggleit76
August 19th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Meee tooo!

This was my hair back in March (which was kind of bun dried), before I got it chopped a couple of months ago:
http://www.nafisehbellydance.co.uk/assets/images/fluffball.jpg

Now it's shorter the waves are more defined and wurly, which of course means it's growing OUTWARDS not down, until it reaches critical mass (hence stupid triangle headness I mentioned in the Wurly/Curly thread).

Depending on the weather the waves/wurls are most defined on wash day, then loosen out if it's dry, but as soon as there's a hint of hot moisture (it's been a veeeerrry humid summer in the UK) the roots get really wavy so I end up with a kind of fro-puff thing.

My main problem, is that the the front and all around my hairline is really fine and quite relaxed, but the back of my hair is really quite coarse and just frizzes up and feels really horrid. Once I've slept on my hair it usually silks out a little, and when it was long enough to bun dry that REALLY helped fight the frizzies, but at this awkward collar bone length I'm having real trouble.

ACV is helping a little. Aloe vera gel had a not very nice reaction. I don't mind using cones, but some of the product you girls reccommend aren't available in the UK. Curlsgirl suggested Sunsilk products on the Wurly/Curly thread (I'll def be keeping an eye on that thread too!) which I can get here, so def going to have to try those!

Curlsgirl
August 19th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Are you like me -- curly when freshly washed, rinsed, whatever... but then the curl falls away? If so, you get to hang out on both of these threads!

Okay yes they do fall out quickly now that it's longer *cry* (see siggy for good example) The things that wavies do don't work for me usually but I am going to hang out anyway if they let me. :flower:

lol don't worry, it's not either/or, I'm sure I can learn here just as much as I can learn there (when I typed my hair I though "it looks like 2c's when it has a good day" :laugh:).
Hehe, actually my hair does resemble a brillo pad when combed out, that why I try my best to keep my hands off the comb between washes. I have one length shot of my hair combed out as a proof it doesn't turn into a the Triangle of Doom anymore, but it doesn't make my hair look good either.:lol:

One thing is for sure. All of our hair seems to have a mind of its own huh? And it's true that you better not mess with it too much!!! ;)

Kiraela
August 19th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Mine turns into a poofy mass if I brush it. Combing seems to do okay wet or dry - combing when wet pulls a little bit of the wave out, but not as badly as dry combing, and I can go for at least 5-6 hours after it is dry before it starts being such a tangled mass that I can't stand it. I have to comb when dry, because my hair is such that uncombed, it is a visibly tangled mess. Not so much 'wild woman on a cliff in a painting' type mess, as 'homeless chick who can't afford a comb'.

What products that are fairly cheap, do y'all recommend to keep the wave intact, and hopefully make me look less like a hobo?

Silver & Gold
August 19th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I'm jumping in the pool with the rest of you.

My hair is not nearly as wavy as yours appears, Roseate. The curls in my hair are quite loose but I find the longer my hair gets, the more room they have to wind about. However the curls are quite fragile and easy to lose if I'm not careful how I dry it. This can be a good thing if I want my hair to appear straighter because all I really have to do is blow dry it and it's straight with a bit of body. The bad thing is, if I want my hair to remain curly I really can't do a fast job of drying it with the blow dryer because even the diffuser tends to straighten my hair.

I do love my curls but I hate that I have to let my hair air dry to get them. I don't like to sit around with a wet head.

Charentais
August 19th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Not so much 'wild woman on a cliff in a painting' type mess, as 'homeless chick who can't afford a comb'.

:laugh:
Hilarious.

Kiraela
August 19th, 2009, 09:36 AM
:D It's a good visual, what can I say...

I wonder, is it true that hair changes texture every seven years or so? I distinctly remember, and have photos to prove it, that when I was little my hair was 1c at its waviest... now all of my shed hairs, separately, corkscrew pretty well. As soon as two hairs get together, they turn into a helix. Three hairs turn into a poof. I think if I cut my hair to BSL or APL, I'd have some pretty massive curlypoof going on... But seriously, what would you recommend to make the wurl pattern work with itself, rather than against? Tips? Tricks?

Rohele
August 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I have weird hair. I think it is a 2b as far as the period of the waves goes, but it all separates out and clumps up, because my "waves" are really loooong loose spirals. (If I let a single hair hang by itself, it definitely describes a spiral. Very much.)

I've been kind of pretending it's curly, but that just doesn't work. I have to detangle, for instance, because you can see it if I haven't. Oil and left-in conditioner shows up in my hair long before it would in a true curly... and anyway I think my hair is way too fine to be doing anything like brushing it while it is wet (I admit I am doing exactly that at the moment, but I think it is an absolutley awful idea.)

Yes - this is how my hair is too - I've got the 2c classifier in my profile because I've got very definite spirals, but the waves when they are not manipulated are very loose.

I've been combing when my hair is sopping wet too - I can't not do it. If I plop my hair it looks disgusting, so combing is a must. I'm more worried though about the combing I do when it's dry - the waves are really tangly and matted after day one (part of this is due to prior damage, I know), but I always feel I'm destroying my hair.

Rohele
August 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM
:D It's a good visual, what can I say...

I wonder, is it true that hair changes texture every seven years or so? I distinctly remember, and have photos to prove it, that when I was little my hair was 1c at its waviest... now all of my shed hairs, separately, corkscrew pretty well. As soon as two hairs get together, they turn into a helix. Three hairs turn into a poof. I think if I cut my hair to BSL or APL, I'd have some pretty massive curlypoof going on... But seriously, what would you recommend to make the wurl pattern work with itself, rather than against? Tips? Tricks?

Hair can change texture - it's true - mine has gone from fairly straight as a child to wavy as a teen, back to straight and massively thick in my twenties, to not so thick and wavy again (my hair looks like my teenage hair again).

I find that twirling sections and letting my hair dry like that will get the wurls to align themselves more. I also use a small amount of curl cream.

misstwist
August 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I've been combing when my hair is sopping wet too - I can't not do it. If I plop my hair it looks disgusting, so combing is a must. I'm more worried though about the combing I do when it's dry - the waves are really tangly and matted after day one (part of this is due to prior damage, I know), but I always feel I'm destroying my hair.

I think if there is some product in to give it some slip it isn't damaging to comb it wet. I usually put a little blob (nickle sized?) of my conditioner in after I've squeezed my hair out in the shower and before I get out. It doesn't feel like I'm catching or stretching hair when I comb.

Kiraela
August 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hair can change texture - it's true - mine has gone from fairly straight as a child to wavy as a teen, back to straight and massively thick in my twenties, to not so thick and wavy again (my hair looks like my teenage hair again).

I find that twirling sections and letting my hair dry like that will get the wurls to align themselves more. I also use a small amount of curl cream.

Thanks! I will try the twirling thing next time.

violetka
August 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
This is totally my thread. Just wanted to say hi.:)

LittleOrca
August 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I love my waves, but there is one thing I do not like about them. They make my ends pair off into their own little waves and they sometimes look like little brownish-copper snakes coming from my hair.

Toadstool
August 19th, 2009, 11:39 AM
My SIL whom I hadn't seen for a couple of months, said to me today "I do like your hair all curly like that."
That's from not combing it when wet. Made my day!:)

Charentais
August 19th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I love my waves, but there is one thing I do not like about them. They make my ends pair off into their own little waves and they sometimes look like little brownish-copper snakes coming from my hair.

Having copper snakes coming out of your head sounds pretty awesome, actually!
;)

Xandergrammy
August 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM
;)

I was going to say the same thing, Charentais!! :rollin:

Aisha25
August 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
One thing I hate about my wavy hair is the pattern it goes straight wavey then straight at the end I hate it soo much!:mad:

Kiraela
August 19th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Heh.
DBF and I were in a Dollar Tree the other day, looking at some of the halloween stuff.. and then I saw a statue that had hair just like mine! DBF looked at it, and said, "You do realize that is medusa, right?":D
To be fair, I then found one that looked just like him! It was supposed to be Dracula, haha.

ETA: Yes, of course we bought them both!

sexyjacksparrow
August 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Can I join too? When I first joined LHC I classified myself as 2c/3a but I've reclassified myself as 2c as I think it's more accurate - though I'm not very good with hair typing so I may be way out!

My hair is mostly wavy with spirals at the ends and tends to be flat and have no root curl at the back of my head (so distinct lack of volume). If I brush my hair when it's dry it gets BIG. It also tends to kink easily - if I've had my hair pinned up while it's dry there's no way the kinks are coming out until it's re-washed.

Pictures from today (excuse the blanked out face).
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z24/sexyjacksparrow/Hair180809copy.png

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z24/sexyjacksparrow/Hair180809bk.png

GeoJ
August 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I am a wavy! I never brush, but I do comb. My sig photo is dry and combed after washing the night before.

I only fingercomb when wet or damp, and use a widetooth comb after it dries. A few days after washing my waves get mostly stretched out.

:)

KajiKodomo
August 19th, 2009, 02:21 PM
After re-classifying myself, I now belong in this thread! :D

I'm a 2a. Right now, my hair is still above chin-length, and my wave pattern is in a place right now where it all tries to wave out from my head. I can let my hair dry untouched and get a spiral or two in the front, and waves in the sides and back.

I'm brushing my waves out for now (and oiling liberally to help tame the volume). I'll probably stop brushing altogether when I get to shoulder-length.

masterofmidgets
August 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Wurly here! *waves*

My hair was pin straight when it was short, but somewhere around shoulder-length it suddenly started sproinging. No one else in my family has curly hair (or long hair for that matter), so I'm still trying to learn how to deal with it so that it's not a frizzy mess. I think I'm getting better at it though.

LittleOrca
August 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
;)

It is pretty cool sometimes, but it makes my ends look a little ragged and I am self conscious about them. ;)

Flynn
August 20th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Yes - this is how my hair is too - I've got the 2c classifier in my profile because I've got very definite spirals, but the waves when they are not manipulated are very loose.

To be totally honest, when my hair gets like that, combing is just a disaster. Breakage, mess, yuckyness. I really, honestly think in that case a brush (with flexible plastic bristles) is better.

Even though everyone says they are the devil, I have a couple of those plastic ball-tipped brushes I like. One has a metal plate ('for heat styling") through which the bristles poke, so that little folded-over-end thing at the bases of the bristles that people complain about as being a point that will catch and damage are covered, and the other one just doesn't seem to have them at all. Neither have lost any plastic ball-tips either. Both also have fairly wide-spaced bristles (though one much more than the other) which also seems to help.

I start at the ends and am really gentle with it, and when a tangle is too tight to budge, the bristles just bend out of it, so there's no "ripping through" them.

I've tried more than once to handle them with a comb, because people here keep on telling me to, but it is always a disaster. Combing just seems to tear them apart, and tear my hair apart, no matter how gentle and careful I am.

Rohele
August 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM
To be totally honest, when my hair gets like that, combing is just a disaster. Breakage, mess, yuckyness. I really, honestly think in that case a brush (with flexible plastic bristles) is better.

Even though everyone says they are the devil, I have a couple of those plastic ball-tipped brushes I like. One has a metal plate ('for heat styling") through which the bristles poke, so that little folded-over-end thing at the bases of the bristles that people complain about as being a point that will catch and damage are covered, and the other one just doesn't seem to have them at all. Neither have lost any plastic ball-tips either. Both also have fairly wide-spaced bristles (though one much more than the other) which also seems to help.

I start at the ends and am really gentle with it, and when a tangle is too tight to budge, the bristles just bend out of it, so there's no "ripping through" them.

I've tried more than once to handle them with a comb, because people here keep on telling me to, but it is always a disaster. Combing just seems to tear them apart, and tear my hair apart, no matter how gentle and careful I am.

I have one of those too - it's flexible (the whole thing is flexible, base and bristles) and there are no catchy edges either. I have had it for about 10 years.

I did notice that it's easier to get the tangles out with the brush (it's what I had been using for the last 10 years since I first bought it), but had been avoiding it because of the damage it's supposed to cause.

My wide tooth combs will not detangle at all without a bunch of hair snapping noises. I thought maybe it was user error with the combs (that and the fact that I haven't bought a nice one yet). It's almost like the teeth on my comb are too widely spaced to do much of anything if that's at all possible. I might just try the brush again for a while and save the combs for when my hair is wet.

Kiraela
August 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I've definately found that brushes have their place, too! Usually, I ONLY use them on the tangle, and comb the rest, but my favorite brushes both do the same bending out of the tangle thing. I usually use the larger one because its teeth are farther apart, but on really bad snarls, the little one is helpful. once the tangle is out, I comb that section again to smooth the waves back into order, otherwise I have smooth waves and little sections of poof.

post-wash day 3 and onwards, I can use a brush alone and not worry about the waves freaking out, because they have fallen out enough that they just get smooth and shiny. It might be that I have a little oil in my hair (sebum and jojoba) so it smooths it around. I still can't use a BBB for the life of me, though.

Last year, a friend who semi-knows my hair obsession gave me some 'full and thick' mousse for christmas. I had to refuse the gift, explaining that if I used it, with as thick and wavy of hair as I've got, I would end up looking like i had a shrubbery growing out of my head. Since the "Chia Pets Gone Wild!" look isn't in this year..... haha.

Flynn
August 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I have one of those too - it's flexible (the whole thing is flexible, base and bristles) and there are no catchy edges either. I have had it for about 10 years.

I did notice that it's easier to get the tangles out with the brush (it's what I had been using for the last 10 years since I first bought it), but had been avoiding it because of the damage it's supposed to cause.

My wide tooth combs will not detangle at all without a bunch of hair snapping noises. I thought maybe it was user error with the combs (that and the fact that I haven't bought a nice one yet). It's almost like the teeth on my comb are too widely spaced to do much of anything if that's at all possible. I might just try the brush again for a while and save the combs for when my hair is wet.

Yep, I'm agreeing with that. Get a comb near a real tangle in my hair, and it's like rice bubbles. >_o

If it's user error, getting it right is more trouble than it's worth.

You know, I have this hunch that wavy is probably the worst type for tangles, particularly if you've got a touch of wurl... tangles are nucleated at small-angle crossings between hairs. Thinking about that suggests that we'd probably be worse off in that regard than the others -- smaller angle in crossings than curlies, more crossings than straighties...

I've definately found that brushes have their place, too! Usually, I ONLY use them on the tangle, and comb the rest, but my favorite brushes both do the same bending out of the tangle thing. I usually use the larger one because its teeth are farther apart, but on really bad snarls, the little one is helpful. once the tangle is out, I comb that section again to smooth the waves back into order, otherwise I have smooth waves and little sections of poof.

post-wash day 3 and onwards, I can use a brush alone and not worry about the waves freaking out, because they have fallen out enough that they just get smooth and shiny. It might be that I have a little oil in my hair (sebum and jojoba) so it smooths it around. I still can't use a BBB for the life of me, though.

Last year, a friend who semi-knows my hair obsession gave me some 'full and thick' mousse for christmas. I had to refuse the gift, explaining that if I used it, with as thick and wavy of hair as I've got, I would end up looking like i had a shrubbery growing out of my head. Since the "Chia Pets Gone Wild!" look isn't in this year..... haha.

Yay! I'm not a lone crazy-person!

If I need to brush, I brush the lot, because I'm scared of getting inconsistent wave... so I brush and then try to trick it back into something tidier with twisting and stuff.

Kiraela
August 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
OOh, I'd never thought of twisting after brushing to return some wurlesques back to my hair... Thanks Flynn!

Flynn
August 20th, 2009, 10:36 PM
OOh, I'd never thought of twisting after brushing to return some wurlesques back to my hair... Thanks Flynn!

Yeah, I find that twisting it, or twisting and braiding it (and then letting it back out pretty much straight away) gets it to clump back together fairly well.

Kiraela
August 21st, 2009, 05:56 AM
I will try that. I know combing while wet and then rope braiding for a while tames my pattern into something decent looking, but I'd never thought of rope braiding to re-set my hair while dry. With a quick mist, it might work even better!

misstwist
August 21st, 2009, 06:15 AM
For the past couple weeks I've been setting my hair into four of five big pincurls before bed. Brush (or comb or fingercomb) them out in the morning and that keeps a nice wave pattern for me. It's keeping nice volume in the top, too.

Two or three on the top. One one each side. Everything is pinned higher than crown so I'm not sleeping on pins.

I'm using roller size bobby pins and standing pincurls.

Flynn
August 21st, 2009, 06:36 AM
I will try that. I know combing while wet and then rope braiding for a while tames my pattern into something decent looking, but I'd never thought of rope braiding to re-set my hair while dry. With a quick mist, it might work even better!

Funny thing is, I find mine likes to go back to it's natural pattern, not the twisted/braided pattern when I do this, particularly if I don't leave it in for long. Then again, it's started sprringing back into a more natural pattern after a whole day of being braided lately, so I don't know...

For the past couple weeks I've been setting my hair into four of five big pincurls before bed. Brush (or comb or fingercomb) them out in the morning and that keeps a nice wave pattern for me. It's keeping nice volume in the top, too.

Two or three on the top. One one each side. Everything is pinned higher than crown so I'm not sleeping on pins.

Hey! That's really clever!

Babyfine
August 21st, 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm a wavy. The picture in my avatar is just out of an updo. I need to get a new picture up as my hair is longer now by a few inches. I'm constantly trimming due to thin ends, I like blunt ends(on me)
My hair dries in S-waves after the shower with product in it.Brushing takes the waves out and gives me frizz(but more volume which I crave.)
But I don't brush much. too much damage.
My hair has a real tendency to look unkempt when it's down-as Lorraine Massey described in the CG book, I'm a definite wavy by her descriptions.

The things I used to do to it to get it to look better I will never do anymore as they are too damaging:
Perms(to get uniform tighter curl and volume)
Curling with large barrel curling iron(smooth curls)
Blow straight with round brush.

I had a relative that hadn't seen me in two years tell me this summer that she'd never seen my hair look so shiney! I must be doing something right(LHC)!

Kiraela
August 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM
Babyfine: I definately have noticed more shine post-LHC too, and I never heatstyled or anything!

When I was 15, my best friend's mother told me that my hair looked like messy straw, and offered to teach me a bit about haircare. She gave some good tips that really did improve my hair, but I think she would be amazed to see how nice my ends are now, 2 years into lhc. (And amazed to see my natural color, haha!)

RedStripe
August 21st, 2009, 10:00 AM
Another wavehead just checking in to say hi. When I was younger, my hair used to do this strange thing where it was wavy in the back but really curly in the front, but somehow that seems to have died down. During the '80s I used to get it cut in layers, and the top and sides would curl up and poof way out. I had natural big hair!

Rohele
August 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM
You know, I have this hunch that wavy is probably the worst type for tangles, particularly if you've got a touch of wurl... tangles are nucleated at small-angle crossings between hairs. Thinking about that suggests that we'd probably be worse off in that regard than the others -- smaller angle in crossings than curlies, more crossings than straighties...rush and then try to trick it back into something tidier with twisting and stuff.

Yeah, I've definitely got wurls - but mainly at the front. It's the worst part to deal with tangle wise too.

I brush and redefine my waves the way Flynn does too.

Misting helps either during or after. If there are really defined and nicely clumped waves I want to keep, I'll sometimes separate them from the rest of my hair and comb or brush them on their own and then twirl again. It keeps the hairs from getting mixed in with waves that are going in other directions. I don't do it all over, but there are usually a few that I want to really keep around my face and a few scattered around the sides and back. I'll re-twist them with a very small amount of oil, and sometimes give them a shot from my mister too.

I have never tried braiding (not sure my hair is long enough for it to do anything helpful though, my braids are pretty short).

Madonna-Fan
August 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hello you all!

* Picture delayed *

I don´t know if you can see the structure how it is
but my roots grow sleeker and my lengths are wavier
(sometimes almost sleek, sometimes almost curly).

It would be great to see your waves, too ;)

Xandergrammy
August 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Here's the most recent pictures of my waves. This was taken on wash day. Once a comb hits it, the waves pretty much disappear.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/DSCN0259.jpg

Flynn
August 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
@ Madonna-Fan: That's basically how mine go, too! My pics are back on pg 3... I grew out from super-short, and I got the same fairly smooth on top then springing into wurly waves as it grew out. The smoothness near the roots now is not just from being pulled down by the rest of my hair!

You have really nice hair... I look forward to getting to see it growing longer, too!

@ Xandergrammy Wo-o-o-o-o-o-ow... I have so much hair envy... Your waves are wonderful! So's your colour, actually...

LittleOrca
August 21st, 2009, 10:39 PM
Xandergrammy, I hope my hair looks that great when it's that long. :D

Here are my waves, after 3 days of no washing and being up in a ficcare for a while. They are kind of elongated, so I included another picture after a fresh wash to show how wavy my hair is.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Length%20Shots/IMG_7705-1.jpg
Look! I'm underwater.... kind of. :)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Updos%20--%20Half/IMG_2013.jpg
I was on my way to the Country Fair, so my hair was styled for that, but you can definitely see the waves when my hair is clean.

Roseate
August 21st, 2009, 10:59 PM
You know, I have this hunch that wavy is probably the worst type for tangles, particularly if you've got a touch of wurl...

I buck this trend; I have preternaturally un-tangly hair. I got a big tangle last week after a strange plopping experiment, and it was so puzzling to me! I don't remember the last time I actually had to work at detangling my hair other than that. Normally the comb just glides through, no problem.

I think that may have to do with coarseness, though. Finehairs seem to tangle more.

Interesting idea, I'll have to give it a try! Normally I fail at sleeping with my hair rolled or braided or what-have-you, but it's been a while since I've tried.

Xandergrammy, I just love your hair! I've said it before, I'll say it again. :heart:

Flynn
August 21st, 2009, 11:06 PM
I buck this trend; I have preternaturally un-tangly hair. I got a big tangle last week after a strange plopping experiment, and it was so puzzling to me! I don't remember the last time I actually had to work at detangling my hair other than that. Normally the comb just glides through, no problem.

I think that may have to do with coarseness, though. Finehairs seem to tangle more.

Before I got to that last line, I checked your texture. >_o I do also believe that strand thickness is a big factor, as is smoothness (I think that's the same as porosity?)

darkwaves
August 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM
Here's the most recent pictures of my waves. Oh, so lovely! I love your hair!

darkwaves
August 21st, 2009, 11:18 PM
I do also believe that strand thickness is a big factor, as is smoothness (I think that's the same as porosity?) I wish I understood all of this... I agree -- the strand thickness plays a role, as do all those other things -- but while we all adore being unique individuals, wouldn't it be great if we could just copy from each other's hair success?

Some of my individual hairs want to be straight, some wavy, some ultra-curly... None want to play fair, and avoid tangles! Ever! I wish I knew how to get them to just play nicely together!

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 21st, 2009, 11:27 PM
Does anyone have a good conditioner recommendation? I am looking for something a little heavier than VO5 and Suave to go with my shampoo bar days..

LittleOrca
August 21st, 2009, 11:30 PM
Does anyone have a good conditioner recommendation? I am looking for something a little heavier than VO5 and Suave to go with my shampoo bar days..

The only thing I could suggests has cones in it and I am not sure if you are cone free or a conehead like me :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 21st, 2009, 11:34 PM
I'm not really cone-free or a cone user, I am sort of inbetween lol some days I use them, some days I don't.. my hair isn't picky about it one way or another.. just more slip and shine with cones than without lol

so I'm all ears.. I'm dying to hear what those with similar hair types use and suggest :)

LittleOrca
August 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM
Being a conehead, I like Garnier. I used it in college and my hair always looked great. My hair took a turn for the worse when a salon lady told me Garnier was crap and to use her expensive brand. I use their Long and Strong/Length and Strength (blue dot on front) variety along with their 3 minute masque. It keeps my waves and it's great along side the chlorine stuff I use.

I used to like Pantene, but It left a lot of residue in my hair as of recently, so I am wondering if they changed something. :shrug: I just know I love the green bottle. :D

Kiraela
August 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'm a pantene junkie, so I'm not sure I'm much help on the conditioner recommendations. If you are a conehead like me, it is really good, though!

Roseate: Odd thing, that. My dyed hair is much finer than my virgin hair, (F v.s. M/C, so there really is a very noticeable difference) - and it also tangles much more, even when well cared for. The virgin bits never tangle - the knots start at the demarcation line between light and dark - and the real damage starts only about 6" from the ends, about a foot below where the tangles start.

Even odder, since my virgin hair is curly/wavier than my dyed bits. I'd think the wurl would make it tangle more.

Hair is currently wet - separated into four sections (two on each side). I twisted the two sections on the same side, towards the same direction like I was going to do a rope braid, but then secured the ends loosely with a scrunchy without twisting them together (so it is basically two loose twists banded together). Hopefully it tames my hair some, and gives me some nice wurly action.

Roseate
August 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM

I like the conefree Garnier Sleek and Shine, and for extra extra moisture, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM
I sort of have this love affair with the curls rock line (full of cones and stuff) so I often use it because it makes my curls hold and my hair is still soft and amazing.. I have found aloe & evoo with just a tiny bit of conditioner give me almost the same effect so I switch them up.. but I don't have the extra shine.. are more of us cone users than non-cones? I kind of love them but I do deep treatments and I clarify before to remove any cones (other wise I just slop it on lol) but when I shampoo the suave or v05 just seems to wash right out... so maybe I am needing something thicker or cones?

Kiraela
August 21st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Like I said, I'm definately a confirmed conehead. Recently, I've been doing CWCs with a conefree firstC, sulfate W, and Pantene Ice Shine for my third C. It seems to be working okay, so far!
You may need to go to a thicker conditioner, if it seems like the suave or V05 wash out - or just take a little bit and run it through your hair after your final rinse-out, but before you dry your hair, as a leave in.

Roseate
August 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM
Suave and VO5 are CO-wash conditioners only for me, they do zero actual conditioning after any type of soap or detergent. I'm not a conehead, but all conefree conditioners are not created equal!

Kiraela
August 21st, 2009, 11:56 PM
Oh, here is my waves with almost nothing in it at all - washed with bodywash and a tiny bit of oil on the ends.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1209&pictureid=41549

How it normally ends up looking once it greases up a bit and tames down.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1209&pictureid=45259

I don't have any good pictures of HoboHair, sorry. It's like the 1st picture, only 17.135 times worse.

Flynn
August 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I sort of have this love affair with the curls rock line (full of cones and stuff) so I often use it because it makes my curls hold and my hair is still soft and amazing.. I have found aloe & evoo with just a tiny bit of conditioner give me almost the same effect so I switch them up.. but I don't have the extra shine.. are more of us cone users than non-cones? I kind of love them but I do deep treatments and I clarify before to remove any cones (other wise I just slop it on lol) but when I shampoo the suave or v05 just seems to wash right out... so maybe I am needing something thicker or cones?

I'm conefree, and prefer it to even light cones -- claryfying is just a bad idea for my hair, (dries out really badly) and the cones make it feel kind of sticky.

I use a combination of Melrose Every Day Conditioner Base, Graham's Natural Conditioner, and just a dab of Alchemy Unscented in there (very, very thick conditioner, but alone it leaved my hair too oily) -- all at the same time, that is, not alternating between them. The Melrose is something like $10 for a litre, so the bulk of what I use is that. The Grahams is more like $10 for 250 mL, but it really, really agrees with my hair. The Alchemy, like I said, is nice and thick, and has just a hint of protein, so using a tiny bit of that as well just seems to work out nicely.

masterofmidgets
August 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
I'm cone-free too. I've always used Suave because it's cheap as dirt, but when I used conditioners with cones in them, I didn't notice any difference in my hair - it didn't feel better or worse, so it never seemed worth the extra expense. I've never used a coney conditioner long enough to know if I get build-up or anything, though.

My routine right now is shampoo bars (sulfates=extra-dry hair and eczema for me), either Suave or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa condish, and scrunching in an aloe/jojoba mix when I get out of the shower.

LittleOrca
August 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Kiraela, you hair looks great! I love the shine in the "tamed" picture and the color fading from one to another looks good on you.

janeytilllie
August 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM

I've been cone free and now I'm a cone user. These conditoners for me were the heaviest and moisturzing. :)
I personally liked A'kin Avocado & Calendula which is cone free.

So far with cones I liked Timotei Bamboo & Shea butter and Natures organics Peach & Macadamia nut delight.

Kiraela
August 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks, LilOrca!

eternallyverdan
August 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
I'm so glad we have this thread! I figure I belong in it about half the time, because my hair goes from mostly straight to mostly wavy from day to day. I've been coney and cone-free with very little noticeable difference, but I have discovered that my hair is happier when I comb it than when I brush it.

Here's a sampling of my different hair days:

The first is one day post wash, combed, with cones,and the second is third day after washing, freshly combed, cone-free, just down from a wrap bun:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/post-trim.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/forevagreenearth/lengthstraight.jpg

It's sometimes even wavier than the first, if I comb pre-shower and then leave it alone post shower.

LittleOrca
August 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Your hair is so pretty. :) /envy :D

Madonna-Fan
August 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
It's sometimes even wavier than the first, if I comb pre-shower and then leave it alone post shower.

Really? Than I guess you´re not a 1c-2a instead you are a 2b-2c ;),
because it the system counts air dried
and not touched by fingers.

Xandergrammy
August 23rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
@ Xandergrammy Wo-o-o-o-o-o-ow... I have so much hair envy... Your waves are wonderful! So's your colour, actually...

Thank you so much, Flynn!! I'm actually growing out my natural colors now!

Xandergrammy
August 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Xandergrammy, I hope my hair looks that great when it's that long. :D

LittleOrca, thank you so much for the compliment, but your hair is beautiful now, so it'll be amazing when it gets longer. :flowers:

Xandergrammy
August 23rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
Xandergrammy, I just love your hair! I've said it before, I'll say it again. :heart:

Thank you so much, Roseate! I know I've said it before too- I love your wurls!!!

Xandergrammy
August 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Oh, so lovely! I love your hair!

And you already know, darkwaves, how much I love your curls. And it's gotten so LONG!!!

wiggleit76
August 25th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Kiraela and Flynn, I LOVE both of your hair, I just wish mine was more smooth and fluff free like yours <sigh>

If I do the twisty thing, my hair does wurl, but it only looks good for about 3 hours then starts to fluff up horribly. The next day I get really uneven wurls and waves, and the hair around my hairline starts loosing wave. By day three (today) I've succumbed, combed and have to deal with a big fluffy mess. Maybe I should be using a product with more hold (gel)?

My issue is I hate putting produce on my hair as I can just 'feel' it, what I really want is just smooth waves, whether they decide to wurl or not. I've got some almond oil to try out some oiling. I plan to do a heavy oil tonight, wash tomorrow then lightly oil.

I've seen another thread where people say they oil when hair is dry so they don't add too much, but by the time my hair is past 60% dry it starts to fluff, 100% dry it's too late. Does anyone else who suffers fluff/frizz have any oiling advice?

Rohele
August 25th, 2009, 10:06 AM
My issue is I hate putting produce on my hair as I can just 'feel' it...

Yeah, those carrots and cabbages are really uncomfortable. :p (sorry just woke up, and I couldn't help my self hehe)

I find products do help weigh my hair down and they definitely help control the fluff.

As for oiling on dry hair, I just put a few drops in my hands, rub my hands together, and then rub them down the length (from ears down). If my hair seems like its getting a little frizzy I'll mist it lightly first (I have a mixture of distilled water and a bit of conditioner in my mister bottle).

ETA I know some members have good luck with oiling damp, freshly washed hair to control frizz.

Roseate
August 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Maybe I should be using a product with more hold (gel)?

My issue is I hate putting produce on my hair as I can just 'feel' it, what I really want is just smooth waves, whether they decide to wurl or not. I've got some almond oil to try out some oiling. I plan to do a heavy oil tonight, wash tomorrow then lightly oil.

I've seen another thread where people say they oil when hair is dry so they don't add too much, but by the time my hair is past 60% dry it starts to fluff, 100% dry it's too late. Does anyone else who suffers fluff/frizz have any oiling advice?

Do you use a leave-in of any kind? I do use gel sometimes, but I also get decent results with just leave-in conditioner. Sometimes I mix a few drops of camellia oil with it, sometimes just the conditioner alone.

I use KBB hair nectar (http://www.karensbodybeautiful.com/product_p/1008.htm), but you don't have to buy a special product, you can just use a little of your rinse-out conditioner to see if you like it.

wiggleit76
August 25th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah, those carrots and cabbages are really uncomfortable. :p

Doh! I blame the lack of caffeine ;)

Roseate I haven't been using leave-in, I guess that's next on my list to try. Do you use rinse-out conditioner first?

Roseate
August 25th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Roseate I haven't been using leave-in, I guess that's next on my list to try. Do you use rinse-out conditioner first?

I do. Sometimes I CO-wash, then use a heavier rinse-out conditioner, then a leave-in! My hair loves conditioner; the more moisturized it is the less puffy it is.

Kiraela
August 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Eternallyverdan: Wow - That is some gorgeous hair! I love the waves, the length, the color..... It's just darn pretty!

Kiraela and Flynn, I LOVE both of your hair, I just wish mine was more smooth and fluff free like yours <sigh>

If I do the twisty thing, my hair does wurl, but it only looks good for about 3 hours then starts to fluff up horribly. The next day I get really uneven wurls and waves, and the hair around my hairline starts loosing wave. By day three (today) I've succumbed, combed and have to deal with a big fluffy mess. Maybe I should be using a product with more hold (gel)?

Thanks! I wish my hair was really as smooth and fluff-free as it looks in pictures, too!

Okay, the twist thing experiment - either I did it horribly, horribly wrong, or it isn't going to work for me! I spent the last several days with shrubbery-hair! I had to keep it braided or else it poofed out to wider than my admittedly already wide body - I didn't know I could still get triangle hair with tailbone+ length...

I think I'm going to french braid it once it drys a little more, this time. I may not have my natural waves, but I'll have some decent looking ones, anyway.

Rohele
August 26th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Okay, the twist thing experiment - either I did it horribly, horribly wrong, or it isn't going to work for me! I spent the last several days with shrubbery-hair! I had to keep it braided or else it poofed out to wider than my admittedly already wide body - I didn't know I could still get triangle hair with tailbone+ length...

Oh no! Maybe it only works if you've got more "wurl" in your hair to begin with. I feel bad - I think I suggested that technique to you. :oops:

CaraLynn
August 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hi hi everybody! I think I belong here. :)

My hair is pretty curly the day I wash it, then the days following that it gets more wavey and then rippley, unless it's humid/rainy then I get these weird random soft corkscrew curls in weird random places. It's not even possible for my hair to consistently look the same...each day is a new adventure! :D So can I play over here?

Charentais
August 26th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Ugh.

Frizz.

That is all.

Flynn
August 26th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks! I wish my hair was really as smooth and fluff-free as it looks in pictures, too!

I think I'm going to french braid it once it drys a little more, this time. I may not have my natural waves, but I'll have some decent looking ones, anyway.

Owwh, I'm sorry. For me, it works wonderfully to get it smoothed down again after it has fluffed up with a brushing... TT^TT I'm sorry.

Oh.... uhm, I usually have a little oil in my hair... I hadn't though about that, that might make a difference, too, or it very well might just be the way my hair happens to act.

Flynn
August 26th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Ugh.

Frizz.

That is all.

Hahaha, I'm having a fluff-ball day today... I brushed my hair, and put if up in a ponytail before bunning it, and it was really seriously spherical! *Laughs*

Kiraela
August 27th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Don't worry, Rohele - I'm pretty sure I did it wrong, that's all. It takes me a while to make new techniques work - The first time I oiled my hair I looked like an otter in an oilspill.

Okay, so how precisely do you go about the twisty thing? Obviously my attempt was EpicFailure.... so how do you successful people do it?

Welcome to the thread, Caralynn! It seems I'm not much for useful advice, but some of the other lovelies here are very helpful!

Rohele
August 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Okay, so how precisely do you go about the twisty thing? Obviously my attempt was EpicFailure.... so how do you successful people do it?

Hmmm... I should take a picture, but I'll try to describe my method... :hmm:

After I have washed and detangled my hair I:

1. Apply a small amount of curl cream while it's still quite wet, mainly to the lower part of my hair
2. Shake large sections of my hair (grab it loosely like I'm making a pony tail and shake). It gets my waves to start to separate into clumps where they naturally would clump together. Hopefully that makes sense.
3. Take those sections that have separated themselves and twist them into a ringlets. Sometimes the sections have not really "clumped" but you can see sections where the hairs are lining up to form a wave together. I usually have about 5-6 ringlets when I'm done.

I'll sometimes also gently scrunch the ringlets if I want more wave. Usually I just let it air dry (no touching), but sometimes I use a diffuser on the low/warm setting if I'm in a hurry or really cold (doesn't look as good as air drying).

When it is completely dry I comb/detangle each wavy clump (the ringlets have usually come apart a bit since I've usually slept on my hair at this point, if I haven't slept on it combing isn't really necessary I just break up the ringlets a bit). I try to comb clump by clump. Then I'll re-twirl select bits with oil. The swirly waves last for one day, then they loosen and I can comb or brush my hair however I want to. I also don't bother with careful day one combing if I'm wearing it up that day, but day one after washing is usually a "wear it down" day for me.

Sorry I just realized what a long and rambly post I made - I hope it helps somewhat...

Kiraela
August 27th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Actually, I think it will help quite a bit! Thanks!

LittleOrca
August 27th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I was going to have my fianc&#233; take a picture of my hair when it's freshly washed so you could see just how many waves are in there, but I forgot. Grr. It will have to wait until next wash day. :D

Kiraela
August 27th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Aaaand, this is what happens when I french braid damp hair, and leave it for about 24 hours -

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1209&pictureid=48983

I think I like that look! Now lets see how long it lasts before it turns into a shrubbery, yes?

(and when I refer to shrubbery-hair, this is something similar to what I mean, although that was about 5 inches ago)http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1209&pictureid=16382

JamieLeigh
August 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Woo hoooo! I'm wavy!!! :D I didn't even really know it until I went cone-free with the conditioner. The cones were weighing my hair down and making my length look straight. :p

JamieLeigh
August 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM
OK, so I'll have to do a whole separate post to add a pic, darn it. I tried to do it in the edit window, and I guess my mom's internet browser doesn't support the format or something. :rolleyes:

Here's my hair with no touching, air-dried after a wash.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2327&pictureid=29221

and here's twin French braids, slept in damp.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2327&pictureid=41858

Rohele
August 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Kiraela and JamieLeigh your braid waves look spectacular! My hair does not make nice braid waves (I end up with something like Kiraela's shrubbery picture, lol).

LittleOrca
August 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I braided my hair today to attempt to get the wave that I naturally get after a wash. :rolleyes: Kind of funny that I have to braid for waves on days 2 and onward after washday to get my natural wave.

Toadstool
August 27th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Woo hoooo! I'm wavy!!! :D I didn't even really know it until I went cone-free with the conditioner. The cones were weighing my hair down and making my length look straight. :p

Ooh now I'm tempted to try cone-free again!!

nucleardelusion
August 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Terrible picture taken from my phone after combing as gently and non-thoroughly as possible. Still a little damp. :)

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww309/contagiousdelirium/Photo_081509.jpg

I trimmed a little after in attempt to even my hair out, the front is much longer than the back :p

Flynn
August 28th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Terrible picture taken from my phone after combing as gently and non-thoroughly as possible. Still a little damp. :)

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww309/contagiousdelirium/Photo_081509.jpg

I trimmed a little after in attempt to even my hair out, the front is much longer than the back :p

Such a pretty colour!

nucleardelusion
August 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Such a pretty colour!

Aww Thank you :heartbeat

Flynn
August 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Your waves are very lovely, too; the colour just really jumped out at me ^__^

Alright, guys. I'm out of ideas. I can't detangle my hair when it's wet, because it causes too much damage (fine hair). I can't leave it tangled to dry, because it causes kinks and fluffiness, and more tangliness as a result, and therefore possibly more damage.

What do I doooooo?! TT^TT

detritus
August 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Flynn, have you tried catnip? My hair is quite fine and tangle-prone. If I don't comb it when wet it usually ends up looking messy and kinky. For a while, I was combing it wet, but I was concerned about breakage and hated how combing pulled out all of my waves. I just started using catnip as my sole conditioner and so far I love it because the tangles just seem to fall out and it helps my waves lay nicer. It doesn't weigh my fine hair down as much as conditioners do. My hair tends to be dry, so I didn't think catnip would add enough moisture to my hair but so far that and just a bit of oil on my ends seems to do the trick.

rhubarbarin
August 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Flynn, have you tried detangling only with fingers or a very wide-tooth comb, only when your hair is soaking wet and full of conditioner?

This is the only way I can detangle with breakage.

Flynn
September 1st, 2009, 01:15 AM
Flynn, have you tried catnip? My hair is quite fine and tangle-prone. If I don't comb it when wet it usually ends up looking messy and kinky. For a while, I was combing it wet, but I was concerned about breakage and hated how combing pulled out all of my waves. I just started using catnip as my sole conditioner and so far I love it because the tangles just seem to fall out and it helps my waves lay nicer. It doesn't weigh my fine hair down as much as conditioners do. My hair tends to be dry, so I didn't think catnip would add enough moisture to my hair but so far that and just a bit of oil on my ends seems to do the trick.

Too many skin allergies and a real "thing" about smells (olive oil made me quite sick from the smell of it) to even think about catnip. Thanks for the idea, though~! ^___^

Flynn, have you tried detangling only with fingers or a very wide-tooth comb, only when your hair is soaking wet and full of conditioner?

This is the only way I can detangle with breakage.

That's the thing; that's exactly what I'm doing, and it seems to be going badly. I started doing just this because I was trying to follow the curly rules.

Tangles
September 1st, 2009, 01:18 AM
Hey guys! I'm going to try leaving in conditioner + no combing tomorrow. I need to bring out my wurls!

Flynn
September 1st, 2009, 01:20 AM
Snazzy! Show us pics?

Arctic
September 1st, 2009, 03:42 AM
:waving: Another wavy here! So nice to have our own thread :D

indigonight
September 1st, 2009, 04:46 AM
hi here I'm a wavy lady too... and oh soooo tangle prone because of it! If I dont comb at least 3-4 times a day I start growing dreadlocks!!!! I can get really curly if I dont comb but then its curls and dreadlocks and I'm in no way planning to become a rastafarian!!!

Heidi_234
September 1st, 2009, 04:58 AM
Too many skin allergies and a real "thing" about smells (olive oil made me quite sick from the smell of it) to even think about catnip. Thanks for the idea, though~! ^___^

The scent is not that strong, and not that bad at all, either, and it doesn't linger even a little anyway.
But, alas, it's not very helpful when it comes from a person who doesn't understand what's wrong with indigo smell. :)

detritus
September 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM
The scent is not that strong, and not that bad at all, either, and it doesn't linger even a little anyway.
But, alas, it's not very helpful when it comes from a person who doesn't understand what's wrong with indigo smell. :)

Agreed about the catnip. But ew! Indigo is headache and nausea inducing for me. Also, if you have a true allergy to catnip or related plants, it won't be good to you. Otherwise, it's actually recommended to calm down an itchy scalp.

Kiraela
September 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Heh, I'd be tempted to try catnip, because I've heard such good things about it, only.... Then I'd probably have a bleedy scalp! My PointyCat, Voodou, is a total stoner-kitty, and zeros in on the scent of catnip like you wouldn't believe. We have to keep her 'nip stored in a plastic bag inside small tin, which is inside a big tin, which is inside the closet - otherwise she would get to it anyway. The smaller tin has puncture holes from her chewing on it to get the lid off. (The darn cat eats aluminum foil, too. Actually eats it - have to hide the roll in the back of the drawer because she's figured out how to open it, and will gnaw on the aluminum.)

Just checking in to report that I think I may have found a routine that works to keep my splits and waves under control!!! :cheese: It has the added benefit of leaving me smelling like strawberries for several days :eyebrows:. CWCC - Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberry conditioner(cone free), Suave strawberry shampoo(cone free), generic pantene ice shine (fairly coney), More suave strawberry condish.

My waves are more defined, my hair is silkier, smoother, the ends are nicer... I do have one odd problem now, though. For the first day or so after a wash, it is almost impossible to get a hairtye to stay on at the end of my braid! the ends are literally so silky that the band slips right off, no matter how tight I tye it. Solution: For now, I am putting a second band higher up on the braid (maybe 4-5" above the ending tye) with a strip of cloth tucked into it. Then I wrap the cloth around the braid spiraling downwards until it has covered the very ends. Then I wrap it back up towards the highest tye until it runs out, and band that with a scrunchy. I figure tail wrapping worked on the horses I had, why shouldn't it work on my own tail? It has an added benefit of protecting the ends more, so that is a very good thing.

The cloth is the bit I cut of when I hemmed my Pajama pants, so it even matches!

Flynn
September 1st, 2009, 05:45 PM

Yeah, but the smell of an ACV rinse doesn't linger, either, and nor does the smell of walnut oil, but I can smell both until I next wash them out. ^^;;

Agreed about the catnip. But ew! Indigo is headache and nausea inducing for me. Also, if you have a true allergy to catnip or related plants, it won't be good to you. Otherwise, it's actually recommended to calm down an itchy scalp.

Yeah, and peppermint tea is meant to calm the stomach, but it makes me violently ill. It's not even worth trying with me. I have a lot of trouble with all that sort of thing.

Thanks anyway, guys. ^____^

wizboo
September 2nd, 2009, 04:33 AM
I am a 2a (I think) so when I curl my hair (no worries- non heat method) it stays really well, and looks almost natural!!!
I have have some days when I am like: "ARRG! WHY CAN'T MY HAIR JUST BE STRAIGHT!!"

And then I have some other days when I think: "Hmm, looking good- wavey- best of both worlds." LOL!

JKRBeloved
September 2nd, 2009, 07:45 AM
Hello, fellow Wavies! I'll definitely be taking cues from both of these threads, now.

Margeaux
September 2nd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hi hi, do I still qualify for this thread or am I too curly? :p

indigonight
September 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
detritus how exactly do you use the catnip? as a rinse? leave-in? rinse out and if so after how many minutes??
I've just started experimenting myself and it seems catnip is good for us waveys :-)

Flynn
September 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi hi, do I still qualify for this thread or am I too curly? :p

If you want to be here, you are more than welcome ^__^

The idea of having this one, as well as the curly/wurly one, is that some things that work for curlies just don't for wavies -- for example completely not brushing, except when wet. A lot of us on the wavier side just can't get away with that, because the tangles show up, unlike on a proper curly... and so on, even though in general the same things that are good for curls also seem to be good for waves ^___^

misstwist
September 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Today was wash day. I plopped for the first time in ages and they were pretty, for about half an hour.

Those waves are just so fragile.

When my hair was shorter and 3a/3b curly they were also fragile, but I usually got a good day's wear out of them and was able to mostly revive them the second day with leave-in conditioner. I usually washed the third day.

I'm sure they were heartier just because they didn't get the same kind of casual handling (rubbing clothes when I turn my head, being leaned against when I set back or handled when I pull them over my shoulder to avoid leaning on them).

So, my waves are too fragile to turn into an updo that features lovely tendrils and too fragile to survive being down. Blah!

I'm just going to ignore them from now on. I've been pincurling for curls and getting a second day wave pattern out of that for a long time. As for my natural waves, I'm thinking I'll just brushing them out and be thankful for the volume that produces.

I long ago decided for length over curls and mostly wear my hair up because the point of long hair for me is ginormous updos. Just a little disappointed to have the fragility of my waves confirmed, again.

Margeaux
September 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
If you want to be here, you are more than welcome ^__^

The idea of having this one, as well as the curly/wurly one, is that some things that work for curlies just don't for wavies -- for example completely not brushing, except when wet. A lot of us on the wavier side just can't get away with that, because the tangles show up, unlike on a proper curly... and so on, even though in general the same things that are good for curls also seem to be good for waves ^___^

Thanks, Flynn! :) I'm asking since I'm right in the middle between wavy and curly - I'd like to hear and integrate advice for both.

Roseate
September 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
I long ago decided for length over curls and mostly wear my hair up because the point of long hair for me is ginormous updos. Just a little disappointed to have the fragility of my waves confirmed, again.

Aw, I know how you feel! I wish my wurls would stick around for longer; they take all day to dry and then they're not much by the next day... and I only wash once a week, so... I'm only a part time wurly.

But I do love updos, so it works out.

Oh, and I've been trying your big-standing-pincurls-on-the-crown method, and I really like it! It puts some nice bounce back in my ends for the less wurly days.

Flynn
September 3rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks, Flynn! :) I'm asking since I'm right in the middle between wavy and curly - I'd like to hear and integrate advice for both.

Yeah, that's also why I asked for the overlap at the "wurly" part. XD

Chanterelle
September 3rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
Checking in. I'm a wavy.

Eskarine
September 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I thought I had frizzy, straight hair, but it turns out it's actually wavy and *that's* why it goes poof when I brush it! :p I'm going to be keeping a curious eye on this thread.

misstwist
September 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Oh, and I've been trying your big-standing-pincurls-on-the-crown method, and I really like it! It puts some nice bounce back in my ends for the less wurly days.

I'm tickled to hear it. I put my hair up like that last night and haven't taken it down yet because I'm mostly doing office work at the moment. I'll head out later today for errands and will take it down before then.

Charentais
September 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I thought I had frizzy, straight hair, but it turns out it's actually wavy and *that's* why it goes poof when I brush it! :p I'm going to be keeping a curious eye on this thread.

Sounds familiar!
:D

Flynn
September 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM

Now, where have I heard this before...? >_o

Actually, I didn't even go so frizzy, as such -- mostly just sort of "big" and tangly. Then I actually bothered to look at the back of my head... and was surprised to find 2b/c waves hanging there! XD

detritus
September 4th, 2009, 01:48 AM
detritus how exactly do you use the catnip? as a rinse? leave-in? rinse out and if so after how many minutes??
I've just started experimenting myself and it seems catnip is good for us waveys :-)

I'm still experimenting. I have used it as a final rinse, after shampooing and conditioning, and leaving it on only as long as it takes to finish my shower. I have also used it without conditioner, bagging and leaving it on for 30-60 minutes. Today I tried using after shampooing without rinsing it out and that might be my favorite yet. Check out the catnip for split ends thread to get some more information and feedback.

Flynn
September 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
It's gone kind of quiet in here...

Toadstool
September 6th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Boo!!

I posted a new thread but I should maybe have just put it here. I was wondering if anyone had tried an Afro comb and if it looked good?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Denman-D23-Plastic-Afro-Comb_W0QQitemZ370243398329QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_He alth_Beauty_Hair_Care_Brushes_Combs_PP?hash=item56 3439eab9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I wish I'd grown up knowing what to do with wavy hair. I just brushed it and thought there was something wrong with it cos it didn't lie smooth and straight like my friends' hair.

Flynn
September 6th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I can't view any beauty products on ebay.co.uk from here because of "a Paris commercial court decision", and I think tthe same might go for people outside of Europe in general...? (Can you find it on the Denman site (https://www.denmanbrush.com/store/storefront.asp)?)

I use a 'fro comb as a detangling comb from time to time. I don't find it any less "floofifying" than a brush, but I do have a fair bit of wurl to my hair, which would probably contribute to that. With neater waves, I can see that working out pretty well. I like it better for detangling than a really wide-toothed comb.

Toadstool
September 6th, 2009, 04:22 AM
It doesn't seem to be on the Denman site, but WOW! I never knew there were so many sorts of hairbrush! Thanks for your response. I might try it as it's not too expensive.

Flynn
September 6th, 2009, 04:52 AM
*Laughs* They do have quite a few, don't they?

They make a decent hairbrush, if you are into brushes, which I know a lot of wavies really aren't. If the brushes are anything to go by, their 'fro comb should be particularly hair-friendly.

My 'fro comb is a cheapie $2-from-Woolworths one with the seams filed away. It's not bad; definitely worth a shot, really.

Rohele
September 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Boo!!

I posted a new thread but I should maybe have just put it here. I was wondering if anyone had tried an Afro comb and if it looked good?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Denman-D23-Plastic-Afro-Comb_W0QQitemZ370243398329QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_He alth_Beauty_Hair_Care_Brushes_Combs_PP?hash=item56 3439eab9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I wish I'd grown up knowing what to do with wavy hair. I just brushed it and thought there was something wrong with it cos it didn't lie smooth and straight like my friends' hair.

I don't see why it wouldn't work just like any wide toothed comb.

I used a comb like this to tease my hair in the 80s. :blueeek: (Not that you are going to do that of course. :) ). I also used it to just comb my hair.

wiggleit76
September 7th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I used a comb like this to tease my hair in the 80s. :blueeek:

Teehee me too! I remember a school friend saying "your hair is so fluffy, I wish my hair would do that" - HAH! and now I spend my life battling the fluff.

Every time I look at this thread I get such serious hair envy from all the beautiful pics posted, especially as I've just had a particularly bad visit to the hairdresser where I said "please don't trim my layers too much I need some more weight" and he didn't listen and now my husband is calling me "mushroom head" :mad:

Flynn
September 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, but Wiggleit, didn't you know you are meant to buy products and a $400 straightener from your hairdresser to get rid of the fluff? It shouldn't matter how short he cuts your layers, they're meant to look good when you make them look good, not when you neglect them, you filthy lazy person! I bet you don't wash your hair twice a day, either!

Hahahaha, also, I think I was a teenager in the wrong decade. I got nicknamed "Fluffball".

Rohele
September 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Teehee me too! I remember a school friend saying "your hair is so fluffy, I wish my hair would do that" - HAH! and now I spend my life battling the fluff.

Every time I look at this thread I get such serious hair envy from all the beautiful pics posted, especially as I've just had a particularly bad visit to the hairdresser where I said "please don't trim my layers too much I need some more weight" and he didn't listen and now my husband is calling me "mushroom head" :mad:

The 80s were so ugly for hair, and yet my hair was perfect for that decade. Then came the mid 90s and flat hair was everywhere :( - I haven't had "in style" hair for over a decade.

I get poodle ears if my layers get too short.

wiggleit76
September 8th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Yeah, but Wiggleit, didn't you know you are meant to buy products and a $400 straightener from your hairdresser to get rid of the fluff? It shouldn't matter how short he cuts your layers, they're meant to look good when you make them look good, not when you neglect them, you filthy lazy person! I bet you don't wash your hair twice a day, either!

Oh yeah, he made a comment that maybe I should come in every other day so he could blow dry it and "you can look perfectly groomed all the time" cos clearly I look a mess most of the time :rolleyes:

I know it's part of their job to push products on you, but when they don't even bother listening to what you want and start acting like your hair isn't good enough to be in their salon it's time to move on!

Rohele I think poodle ears is marginally better than mushroom head :D

Flynn
September 11th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Oh yeah, he made a comment that maybe I should come in every other day so he could blow dry it and "you can look perfectly groomed all the time" cos clearly I look a mess most of the time :rolleyes:

I know it's part of their job to push products on you, but when they don't even bother listening to what you want and start acting like your hair isn't good enough to be in their salon it's time to move on!

Rohele I think poodle ears is marginally better than mushroom head :D

*Eyeroll* Yeah, what an idiot. Time to find a new hairdresser.

I'm a big fan of barbers; they always do exactly what I ask for, and I'm always really stoked, but I've never asked them for layers before... (Also, they seem to know what to do with curly hair, unlike most salons -- my boyfriend is a 3a or so, and stretched straight his hair is creeping toward waist. Salons tend to massacre his hair, barbers always seem to get it just right.)

Like I said, though, never asked for layers; don't know if they can or will do it.

Hahaha, I do look a mess most of the time (in a way that I like... sort of half-wild... I think it works for me) that's fashionable at the moment for my general age group though, so I'm fashionable for the moment! XD

Flynn
September 11th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Hey, guys. Decided to do a protein treatment last night: Joico K-Pack, which is a keratin one (makes more sense to me than any other protein, and I've had problems with protein-y conditioners before.)

It's a little heavy on the mineral oil, but I don't mind mineral oil, so that's fine by me. I think the oil alone has made my hair act super-shiny and very smooth, so I'm not going to know how it went for another wash yet, but it seems pretty good so far. No disasters. I left it for a good fifteen minutes, because I couldn't stand the perfume any longer than that.

Flynn
September 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hm. Hair is still (after one wash) feeling exceptionally soft and silky, but I don't have a clue whether that's the oil or the protein doing it... Any thoughts?

redcelticcurls
September 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hm. Hair is still (after one wash) feeling exceptionally soft and silky, but I don't have a clue whether that's the oil or the protein doing it... Any thoughts?

I know I'm bursting in on the wrong thread, lol, but I get that kind of feeling from keratin. I'm using the Joico regular version of the K-pak too (no mineral oil as opposed to the reconstructor) and it feels similar.

Demetrue
September 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
My hair is definitely wavy, but throughout most of my life, I assumed it was straight. Since it was long and not curly, and the weight of the hair stretched out the wave somewhat, I never realized it was actually wavy. Then, when I got a supposedly cute short hair cut, my hair would not lie still and do what I thought it was supposed to do. Every morning when I woke up, I would have cowlicks and horns of hair sticking up on each side of my head. And whenever I brushed a lot, it would look totally frizzy. It took me years to figure out that it was all because my hair was wavy, not straight as I had always assumed.

Flynn
September 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I know I'm bursting in on the wrong thread, lol, but I get that kind of feeling from keratin. I'm using the Joico regular version of the K-pak too (no mineral oil as opposed to the reconstructor) and it feels similar.

Aaah, thanks redcelticcurls! Hurrah! Hurrah! It is (probably) working! XD

Also, you're more than welcome here any time! ^___^ (I hang out in Wurly/Curly, and I'm sure not curly...)

My hair is definitely wavy, but throughout most of my life, I assumed it was straight. Since it was long and not curly, and the weight of the hair stretched out the wave somewhat, I never realized it was actually wavy. Then, when I got a supposedly cute short hair cut, my hair would not lie still and do what I thought it was supposed to do. Every morning when I woke up, I would have cowlicks and horns of hair sticking up on each side of my head. And whenever I brushed a lot, it would look totally frizzy. It took me years to figure out that it was all because my hair was wavy, not straight as I had always assumed.

Hello!

I was about the same... though that was probably just as much because I never really looked... (Oops).

I also just had dry, fluffy hair in high school (possibly because I was limited in the conditioners I can use due to sensitive skin, and I was probably using a somewhat rubbish one.) ... So I chopped it all off, and was rewarded with a gravity-defying, full-of-volume (in a good way) pixie, which I rather enjoyed... until it just got too expensive to maintain it. *Laughs* Now I'm enjoying long, smoother waves. ^__^

K_Angel
September 14th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Another wavy checking back in. :waving:

Flynn
September 14th, 2009, 02:40 AM
'Allo! How's it going?

K_Angel
September 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Things are going great!

And you?

My hair, only to keep this topical, is a bit dry right now. So, I'm thinking of getting a heat cap to help with a deep treatment.....

What types of DTs does everyone use for wavy hair?

Flynn
September 14th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Things are going great!

And you?

My hair, only to keep this topical, is a bit dry right now. So, I'm thinking of getting a heat cap to help with a deep treatment.....

What types of DTs does everyone use for wavy hair?

Yeah, I'm pretty good.

I do an occasional SMT, I heavy-oil using walnut and/or coconut oil, I just leave in my plain old conditioner, and just recently I've started experimenting with Joico's K-Pack Reconstuctor, which is a keratin treatment.

What about you?

K_Angel
September 14th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty good.

I do an occasional SMT, I heavy-oil using walnut and/or coconut oil, I just leave in my plain old conditioner, and just recently I've started experimenting with Joico's K-Pack Reconstuctor, which is a keratin treatment.

What about you?
I'll bet you're looking forward to spring, huh?

Well, I've been playing with different things lately. I've tried SMTs before, but soon discovered that honey strips my hair/just hates my hair and AVG seems to suck all the moisture out of my hair. Very frustrating.

Just recently, after many futile attempts to use other oils (even coconut) didn't really work well for me... I tried Camilla Oil (the Japanese one) and it seems to help a lot.

I oil my hair and then add VO5's free me fressia and put my head in a plastic bag for about half an hour. This seems to help a bit. Then I wash with Nature's Gate Herbal Shampoo. followed by Giovanni's deeper moisture conditioner (3 minutes on hair) then rinse.

Towel dry and add some Giovanni leave in conditioner in my hair.

And all this is helping, but I'm trying to keep the moisture in my hair for longer than the first few minutes of drying time. (I only air dry).

So, I'm contemplating the heat cap to maybe get the moisture in deeper?

prittykitty
September 14th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I'm sorry but I truly hate my curls. I would give anything to have nice straight hair that I can wash and go and do nothing with while it grows. Curly hair is very high maintenance for me. It seems like the front is not as curly as the back and some of the curls grow out in strange patterns that I would not walk out the door without smoothing them somehow. Buns are not an option because I look much older than my age in one and when I have tried wearing a bun my head feels cold and uncomfortable. Braids are not an option either for me. So, I wear my hair down. I use a good shampoo and conditioner and a leave in conditioner. I smooth my hair with a blow dryer when it is almost dry naturally, then I use a straightener to smooth just some of my hair so it is still somewhat wavy but smooth. The front and top of my hair seems to grow faster than the back and the back is more curly and frizzy. I honestly don't know if my hair will ever be much longer than a little below shoulder length. If it were longer, the curls would be easier to deal with. Sometimes I feel like giving up and going back to using hair extensions again. It was an easy alternative to just get curly long extensions and pull the front of my hair up in a clip and go or curl it once in a while in a feathered style. If only the big wild hair from the 80's would suddenly come back in style, I would be living in a dream world. My hair is truly made for that kind of style. I would wear it right now if I knew I would not be a laughing stock. I do have gray hair growing in and some of it seems straighter than my dark hair. Is this possible for gray hair to grow in straighter or does it make a difference?

Rodger
September 14th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Here's my kinda wavy hair (excuse the kinda bad pics lol)
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Rodg88/P9140023.jpg
And with rat! (bad webcam pic tho)
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/Rodg88/Photo504.jpg

All I do to it is shampoo(anti-dandruff)/condition(hydrating) every 1-3 days, but it gets kinda frizzy, esp around the mid/bottom section where it gets almost velcroy... And I don't thing I have a lot of split ends... Is there any particular things I could be doing to help it be a little nicer? Maybe conditioning everyday even if I don't shampoo? Maybe even oiling it or something?? When I go longer without really cleaning it, besides rincing, it does get oily and mum tends to tell me to clean it because it's "a bit gross", but it behaves much better when it's like that... So are there some other kinda oils that perhaps are better suited for hair, less greasy or something?

Flynn
September 14th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I'll bet you're looking forward to spring, huh?

Well, I've been playing with different things lately. I've tried SMTs before, but soon discovered that honey strips my hair/just hates my hair and AVG seems to suck all the moisture out of my hair. Very frustrating.

Just recently, after many futile attempts to use other oils (even coconut) didn't really work well for me... I tried Camilla Oil (the Japanese one) and it seems to help a lot.

I oil my hair and then add VO5's free me fressia and put my head in a plastic bag for about half an hour. This seems to help a bit. Then I wash with Nature's Gate Herbal Shampoo. followed by Giovanni's deeper moisture conditioner (3 minutes on hair) then rinse.

Towel dry and add some Giovanni leave in conditioner in my hair.

And all this is helping, but I'm trying to keep the moisture in my hair for longer than the first few minutes of drying time. (I only air dry).

So, I'm contemplating the heat cap to maybe get the moisture in deeper?

Hahaha, no, more waiting for spring to be over! All the pretty flowers mean sneezing fits for Flynn. Spring is best enjoyed indoors, looking out the window!

I don't use honey in my hair, either... I really should have said "modified SMT", because I replace the honey with black treacle or glucose syrup. I can't bear the idea that it might lighten my hair.

Heat cap might be worth a shot... if you're feeling cheap, maybe you can make one up at home yourself...

You can make microwavable heat packs by filling cloth bags with rice. Microwave for about 2 minutes, and they're about the right temperature for using as a heat pack. Maybe a cap made of sealed pockets full of rice? Obviously you need to keep it dry, but an electrical heat cap would also need to be kept dry...

Armelle
September 14th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I've already changed my hair type to a 2c. Now I've noticed (with a change in my washing routine) that my underlayer hair is very corkscrew curly...for about 5", then it goes directly to being nearly straight. What gives??

Charentais
September 14th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I had the best hair day, yesterday. I almost wept with joy.

I had conditioner-washed it, plopped it for a while (see Naturally Curly forum for plopping information, or whatever) and then let it air dry. I think there was some residual styling mousse from the previous day, that wasn't completely washed off, that just barely kept the frizziness down. My layers are finally getting longer, which helped tame the whole thing.

I may never have such a great day again. In my whole life.

Hold me!

(soft, bittersweet weeping)

:p

Gabriel
September 14th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Hi! I've been away for a while but am back lurking and now delurking cause I think I belong in this thread!

I think my hair is wavy and wurly as it's kept growing!

I'll have to retype it I think.

...and Charentais your post made me LOL.

Flynn
September 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Here's my kinda wavy hair (excuse the kinda bad pics lol)

And with rat! (bad webcam pic tho)

All I do to it is shampoo(anti-dandruff)/condition(hydrating) every 1-3 days, but it gets kinda frizzy, esp around the mid/bottom section where it gets almost velcroy... And I don't thing I have a lot of split ends... Is there any particular things I could be doing to help it be a little nicer? Maybe conditioning everyday even if I don't shampoo? Maybe even oiling it or something?? When I go longer without really cleaning it, besides rincing, it does get oily and mum tends to tell me to clean it because it's "a bit gross", but it behaves much better when it's like that... So are there some other kinda oils that perhaps are better suited for hair, less greasy or something?

Nice shiny waves!

The velcro-ey thing I think tends to happen (from what I have been told by others) due to moisture loss from porous hair types. You might like to try a light oiling on damp hair after you wash just on the ends. Something tat works for me, too, is to use just a little dab of my regular conditioner as a leave-in on the ends.

My boyfriend, whose hair is properly curly, conditions and rinses every day. If you get it wet anyway, you may as well chuck some conditioner in.

Hey, also, are you using a conditioner that contains silicones (siloxanes; look for anything ending in -cone, like amodimethicone, or anything with -silox- in it, like cyclopentasiloxane). I've been finding that using cones makes my hair feel kind of rough and sticky, and it catches on itself and therefore frizzes and tangles a bit more. This isn't the case for everyone: some people find silicones to be the best thing ever for controlling frizz and giving slip and shine (if you'll excuse me sounding like a commercial), but others find their hair feels sticky, rough, plasticky or rubbery.

If you are, and if oiling and/or leaving in some conditioner doesn't work any magic for you, it might be worth a shot to try changing.

MandaMom2Three
September 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Well here I am, I think I have to face it, my hair has decided it wants to be wavy/wurly/curly (what's the difference anyway?) enough that simply brushing is no longer allowed :cry: . So now I have to bite the bullet and learn how to manage it. I've got it up in braids with a heavy oiling tonight, tomorrow morning I'll CO out, comb while wet with my wide toothed wood comb and try scrunching with some aloe and jojoba and see how that works, then I will try TRY to keep my hands out of it, try :p

Charentais
September 14th, 2009, 09:26 PM

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

pradabacon
September 14th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Well here I am, I think I have to face it, my hair has decided it wants to be wavy/wurly/curly (what's the difference anyway?) enough that simply brushing is no longer allowed :cry: . So now I have to bite the bullet and learn how to manage it. I've got it up in braids with a heavy oiling tonight, tomorrow morning I'll CO out, comb while wet with my wide toothed wood comb and try scrunching with some aloe and jojoba and see how that works, then I will try TRY to keep my hands out of it, try :p

I feel your pain, Manda. :D I'm pretty sure my own frizz is related to my hair being far wavier than I've wanted to admit.

Now, I'm joining you in here with all these lovely wavies to try and figure out how to work with it. :shrug:

I took an untouched, air-dried pic a while back and was shocked.

I second that! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/laugh.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) Congrats on having happy hair, Charentais! :hifive:

Flynn
September 14th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I feel your pain, Manda. :D I'm pretty sure my own frizz is related to my hair being far wavier than I've wanted to admit.

Now, I'm joining you in here with all these lovely wavies to try and figure out how to work with it. :shrug:

I took an untouched, air-dried pic a while back and was shocked.

Yeah, I'm still not sure what to do with mine, either. Other than that twisty-thing which seems to work for me most of the time (get the hair and twisti it like you were going to bun or rope-braid it until it is quite smooth. Either rope braid it for a little while, or just let it go at this stage and gently separate out. Tends to get it all smoothed back to where it should be for me, mostly.)

Where's that pic? Can't talk about pics and not show 'em! >_o

fluffybunny
September 15th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I think I've found my hair tribe! I didn't realize there were so many others with a mix of textures on the same head. I have straight sections, wavy sections, and a few odd spirals. It's all so unpredictable from day to day, and it even changes over the years. The underlayer used to be predictably straight, but now I get curls on the right side underneath.

For a while I tried to maximize curl, but it seemed whatever I did that I thought was working would quit working. It truly has a mind of its own. One thing it really enjoys is humidity, but sadly, I live in a dry climate. Humidity brings out the waves and curls and makes it about twice as voluminous. I've never understood people saying humidity makes their hair go limp. Humidity brings mine to life.

Flynn
September 15th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I think I've found my hair tribe! I didn't realize there were so many others with a mix of textures on the same head. I have straight sections, wavy sections, and a few odd spirals. It's all so unpredictable from day to day, and it even changes over the years. The underlayer used to be predictably straight, but now I get curls on the right side underneath.

For a while I tried to maximize curl, but it seemed whatever I did that I thought was working would quit working. It truly has a mind of its own. One thing it really enjoys is humidity, but sadly, I live in a dry climate. Humidity brings out the waves and curls and makes it about twice as voluminous. I've never understood people saying humidity makes their hair go limp. Humidity brings mine to life.

Whee! Yay! Welcome!

I think most people don't have a texture that is either consistent from day to day, or consistent across their whole head.

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I'm still not sure what to do with mine, either. Other than that twisty-thing which seems to work for me most of the time (get the hair and twisti it like you were going to bun or rope-braid it until it is quite smooth. Either rope braid it for a little while, or just let it go at this stage and gently separate out. Tends to get it all smoothed back to where it should be for me, mostly.)

Where's that pic? Can't talk about pics and not show 'em! >_o

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/biggrin.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

You're quite right, Flynn. I forgot the No Pics = It Didn't Happen rule. :D (Nevermind the weird color difference. My hair looks reddish in my bathroom and blackish in my kitchen. :p)

This one was brushed during/after drying:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/Photo599.jpg

This one is untouched:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/Photo430.jpg

And I frizz like nobody's business. Thanks for the twisting tip...I'll have to try that. I've just started to read the whole thread and I was just at that bit in the discussion. :)

Flynn
September 15th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hootie, you damn&#232;d liar. You aren't a 2a. You're an easy 2b/c, or even a true 2c.

(Though I'm sure others have told you that already.)

You're making me all jealous!

ETA Rohele and I, and others, were talking about the twisting trick when it didn't work for... someone. Sorry, i forget who it was. A few pages back. There was a suspicion it works better with a bit of wurl. I'm thinking you got a bit of wurl in there... it'd be interesting to know how it goes for you, so we can sort of work out more systematically who it's likely to work for and who it isn't...

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Hootie, you damn&#232;d liar. You aren't a 2a. You're an easy 2b/c, or even a true 2c.

(Though I'm sure others have told you that already.)

You're making me all jealous!

ETA Rohele and I, and others, were talking about the twisting trick when it didn't work for... someone. Sorry, i forget who it was. A few pages back. There was a suspicion it works better with a bit of wurl. I'm thinking you got a bit of wurl in there... it'd be interesting to know how it goes for you, so we can sort of work out more systematically who it's likely to work for and who it isn't...

Actually, no one has! Really? :hmm:

Well, that makes things worse, 'cuz I bet anything I can't get that mess to look decent if I try to work with the wurl. Of course, it looks crazy when I don't work with it, so I have nothing to lose! :D I will definitely try the twisting and report back.

And your hair is gorgeous, Flynn. I love those long spirals you can get. :flower:

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I went ahead and changed my classifier. *sigh*

:laugh:

Flynn
September 15th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Actually, no one has! Really? :hmm:

Well, that makes things worse, 'cuz I bet anything I can't get that mess to look decent if I try to work with the wurl. Of course, it looks crazy when I don't work with it, so I have nothing to lose! :D I will definitely try the twisting and report back.

And your hair is gorgeous, Flynn. I love those long spirals you can get. :flower:

Hahaha, you mean the "dreadwurls"? Thanks! XD I like the fact that it makes spirals, but the dreadwurls... well, I'm not so into them.

(I'm actually considering getting layers cut in sometime so when that does happen it doesn't clump quite like that... O.o )

Buut, yeah. Classifier. Your wave-length is pretty short, really, and you have some twistiness there, so I'm pretty confident in accusing you of being a 2b/c or above >_o

What do the rest of you think? Am I underestimating? Maybe overestimating? (definitely don't think so...)

http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/.Pictures/2c/Faolin-Ruadh2.jpg (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum22.html)http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/.Pictures/2b/joyinc-2b.jpg (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum21.html) http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/Photo430.jpg
2c from The Visual Hairtyping Guide (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html); 2b from The Visual Hairtyping Guide (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html); Hootie

(ETA again... turns out tLHC doesn't support the BBCode for tables. Boo-hoo.)

Rodger
September 15th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Nice shiny waves!

The velcro-ey thing I think tends to happen (from what I have been told by others) due to moisture loss from porous hair types. You might like to try a light oiling on damp hair after you wash just on the ends. Something tat works for me, too, is to use just a little dab of my regular conditioner as a leave-in on the ends.

My boyfriend, whose hair is properly curly, conditions and rinses every day. If you get it wet anyway, you may as well chuck some conditioner in.

Hey, also, are you using a conditioner that contains silicones (siloxanes; look for anything ending in -cone, like amodimethicone, or anything with -silox- in it, like cyclopentasiloxane). I've been finding that using cones makes my hair feel kind of rough and sticky, and it catches on itself and therefore frizzes and tangles a bit more. This isn't the case for everyone: some people find silicones to be the best thing ever for controlling frizz and giving slip and shine (if you'll excuse me sounding like a commercial), but others find their hair feels sticky, rough, plasticky or rubbery.

If you are, and if oiling and/or leaving in some conditioner doesn't work any magic for you, it might be worth a shot to try changing.

Hmm cool thanks for the suggestions! My conditioner (natures organics organic care 'natural miracle' ultra hydrating lol, tbh I get it because it's cheap... and smells nice lol), does indeed have -cones... 'dimethicone' and 'amodimethicone'... I think first I'll try some oiling, and maybe leave-in, but if I change conditioner I'll look for one without -cones to compare!

Charentais
September 15th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Hootie is a damn liar!
:tongue::gabigrin:

Rohele
September 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
hootietoot - your hair texture is beautiful in the untouched picture - I don't think it looks crazy at all! I frizz like crazy too - it's mostly the regrowth hairs, and I haven't figured out how to smooth them down yet.

Xandergrammy
September 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
This one is untouched:
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/Photo430.jpg

And I frizz like nobody's business. Thanks for the twisting tip...I'll have to try that. I've just started to read the whole thread and I was just at that bit in the discussion. :)

This is gorgeous! :crush:

kimberlily
September 15th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I belong here. I'm 2a/2b, but sometimes get little ringlets if I'm nice to my hair :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2346&pictureid=34473

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/kimberlily74/100_68371.jpg

I'm planning on getting some layers cut in tomorrow (please don't try to talk me out of it) and am having one heck of a time finding pictures of NATURAL waves with layers. Anyone have layered hair and mind sharing pics?

MandaMom2Three
September 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Ok, So I heavy oiled my hair overnight, then this morning washed with shikaki/amla/fenugreek and COed that out. I combed out gently with my widetoothed wood comb then I mixed a small squirt of aloe and 2 drops jojoba and scrunched with it. This is the results...

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/MandyTFM/pics028.jpg

What would you call this? Wavy? Wurly? Whatever it is, it looks nicer from the side than from the front :( . My hair is so THIN that there's an awful lot of air between the curls, making it look like it's drenched in grease even though it's very clean :( If it would lay flat, the thinness doesn't look so bad, if it were THICKER the waves would look great! Sigh. Not sure what to do with the situation. I guess I never noticed this much curl before because all the cones weighed it down, so I could always go back to cones if I want to be able to brush and have thicker looking hair, but I LOVE being conefree! I like being able to put whatever treatment on my hair I want and KNOW that it's getting to my hair instead of sitting on top of a sheath of cones, it's NICE not having to worry about removing the gunk :( . Grrrrrr, I'm going to shave my head and buy a wig :nono:

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hootie is a damn liar!
:tongue::gabigrin:

I never lie! Oh hey, did I tell you that I have a new glow-in-the-dark elephant as a pet? He was created especially for me in a secret lab on Mount Everest. The King of Mars sent him to me as a gift because I saved his life last year.

hootietoot - your hair texture is beautiful in the untouched picture - I don't think it looks crazy at all! I frizz like crazy too - it's mostly the regrowth hairs, and I haven't figured out how to smooth them down yet.

Thank you, Rohele! :flower: I think that may be a part of my problem, too. Plus, my grays that are a different texture and like to misbehave - much as I love them.

This is gorgeous! :crush:

Awww, thanks, Xandergrammy! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/hugging.gif You are one of my hair idols!

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Hahaha, you mean the "dreadwurls"? Thanks! XD I like the fact that it makes spirals, but the dreadwurls... well, I'm not so into them.

I think your 'dreadwurls' look cool! I've never seen that before. :) And thanks for the hairtyping help. I think you're probably right about the 2b/c thing. I will try leaving it alone again and see what happens.

I'm planning on getting some layers cut in tomorrow (please don't try to talk me out of it) and am having one heck of a time finding pictures of NATURAL waves with layers. Anyone have layered hair and mind sharing pics?

What kind of layers are you going for? We want pics! Your hair is beautiful, btw.

I have layers, but the shortest ones are about waist-length. I haven't had them cut for a year. But they definitely give me more body at the top. My canopy likes to lay flat and limp. :D

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/MandyTFM/pics028.jpg

Your hair looks so soft! And it's lovely! :flower: No wigs for you, young lady!

Cones really take out a lot of my wave, too. How long have you been cone-free? Those at the side look like wurls to me. They're so pretty.

P.S. Killer necklace. ;)

Xandergrammy
September 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM

(I'm actually considering getting layers cut in sometime so when that does happen it doesn't clump quite like that... O.o )

Where's a picture of these "dreadwurls"? I think I'd like them. :flower:

marikamt
September 15th, 2009, 12:27 PM
mine is becoming wavier as I take care of it...... who knew?! I thought I was stick straight as they come and now I have waves...... am learning how to take care of them and coax them out more and more.... overall, I am thrilledd...
A little irate tho' when I think of all the years at expensive salons and no one told me!!!!!

marikamt
September 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I belong here. I'm 2a/2b, but sometimes get little ringlets if I'm nice to my hair :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2346&pictureid=34473

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/kimberlily74/100_68371.jpg

Please post pic when you get them cut... you and I have somewhat similar hair and I am growing out layers that I think I want re-cut... and my goal is waist... would love to see how it looks!

Kiraela
September 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I think it was me that the twisty thing failed epically on... and I am (usually) pretty firmly a 2a/2b, I think. It'd be nice to see comparisons of what it can/should look like on properly wurly hair. I've finally admitted to myself that I'll never have the lovely wurls or curls that I desire, and I think I can live with 'just' being a wavy. Kimberlily: I love! your color.

ETA:(oddly, I missed a word and ended up saying "I think I could live with 'just' being a Kimberlily." Hell, if I had her hair, I'd die happy!)

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 01:35 PM
^^^http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/lol-1.gif

MandaMom2Three
September 15th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Your hair looks so soft! And it's lovely! :flower: No wigs for you, young lady!

Cones really take out a lot of my wave, too. How long have you been cone-free? Those at the side look like wurls to me. They're so pretty.

P.S. Killer necklace. ;)

:D Thank you Hootietoot. I've been coneless and mostly CO for hmmmm, a few months now I think. I am experimenting a little with herbs but I already figured out my hair (and especially my scalp) didn't like shampoos, even sulfate free ones, so cones are a bad idea for me even if I didn't have the waves and wurls to deal with. I think the HARDEST thing for me to deal with will be keeping my hands out of my hair! I LOVE to play with my hair :cry:

And thanks :D, this collar is one of my favourites too :D

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
^^^Oh, man. I have the same problem keeping my hands out of my hair. And I end up having to wash far more often and even getting scalp issues sometimes from it.

Even when I put it up, I still start fooling around in there, and then I have to take it down and redo it. How to stop? :doh:

Xandergrammy
September 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Awww, thanks, Xandergrammy! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/hugging.gif You are one of my hair idols!

:smooch: Thank you so much!!!

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Haha! I got smooched! :D

Hey, I think I read that some of you use catnip rinses? I'm thinking of trying it out...does it affect your wave pattern?

Flynn
September 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Where's a picture of these "dreadwurls"? I think I'd like them. :flower:

Down the bottom of page 3 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563&page=3)

Eniratak
September 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
XD. Hello everyone.
I was waiting for one of these boards to pop up considering I certainly do not possess curls. However, I have quite a few waves in my hair and at the ends of my hair it turns into spirals.
When I brush my hair out, it turns into a giant mane of...fluff. XD. My hair is really thick too and yeah. Just thought you should know.

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
^^^:laugh: Well, welcome to LHC and the Wavy and Wurly thread! :waving:

Eniratak
September 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Ahhh! Thank you!
XD.

rach
September 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/SDC10717.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/red-2.jpg
"waves"
since i've come here i've not touched hair straightness/heated things - it's promised my hair love from now here on end (feeling like she's in a concealing session). i admit i hated , hated my waves. they where either not curly or straight enough and i had well large big waves which looked awful and because i straightened it most the time and it fluffed it as well as the short length not helping. i was not happy :(
since i've been here, no heat and a few other idea and change in hair routine and finally some length is happening which is weighing it down and looks wavier because there is more of it and my hair health has improved i'm wavier and look more wave consistent too. also my hair loss from my last kids length has grown down to my shoulder now which is now integrating in my length which is giving it a really nice thickness. (don't worry i'm not planning anymore and i gave up on elastics bands)
my whole view on my hair has changed and now am getting the look off my hair which i want- all i needed to do was just leave it and not do quick fixes to give it a good look and i just needed to be nice to it :rolleyes: . why i didn't find this forum earlier to kick my butt into the good ways.... and new hair dos!!!!
oh well had to start somewere i guess......
i've always wanted it long and i always battle to get past this length because of the treatment i gave it so hope is in view now. i just need to get it growing.
thanks for reading :blossom:

as you can see , my signature at present speaks the truth for me.

pradabacon
September 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Rach, your color is wicked! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/devil.gif

I love it!

rach
September 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Rach, your color is wicked! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/devil.gif

I love it!

:laugh: thank you :flowers:

Flynn
September 16th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Woooow, Rach... such a rich colour, and such a lovely texture! The cut shows it off well, too.

JamieRose
September 16th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Oh, wise wavies, I have been here for awhile and am still not 100% sure of my hair type. Pretty sure I'm a wavie, my hair is never straight and frizzes like crazy. I THINK I'm a 2a, But somedays I'm not so sure.... help?

Some days, it's as straight as this....
http://i30.tinypic.com/2ufu2wo.jpg

Other days it's more S curvy....
http://i29.tinypic.com/6ei6a8.jpg

And other days it seems to get little itty bitty spirals going on. It used to a lot more when I was younger, seems to happen less now that I've hennaed. And there is always frizz, always has been. If I comb it out, it gets straighter and straighter, but still frizzy. Did I mention I have frizzy hair???

So was I right? 2a?

MandaMom2Three
September 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM
JamieRose- I'm no help with hair typing, but I LOVE your avatar!!!! That movie was AWESOME, and Jereth (Bowie) was probably my first ever celebrity crush as kid because of it :D

wiggleit76
September 17th, 2009, 01:07 AM
JamieRose- I'm no help with hair typing, but I LOVE your avatar!!!! That movie was AWESOME, and Jereth (Bowie) was probably my first ever celebrity crush as kid because of it :D
Me too!
#You remind me of the babe#
#What babe?#
#The babe with the power# :cheese:

Sorry, hijack over!

indigonight
September 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Jamie rose, like the waves and also notice you have some nice muscular arms there, you must work out??

marikamt
September 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Jamierose... you have hair like mine!!! I too am hair type conflicted... I finally changed on my profile to 1c/2a, but still not sure..... my siggy pic is w/ brushed and blow dried hair (i know... :( ) I have washed and air dried pics in my album (no product)... the more I learn about proper care, the wavier (I think) it gets........

JamieRose
September 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Me too!
#You remind me of the babe#
#What babe?#
#The babe with the power# :cheese:

Sorry, hijack over!

What Power?
The power of voo doo!!!
Who do?
You do!
Do what? Remind me of the babe! *DUN DUN!*

:D favorite movie of all time!!!

JamieRose
September 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Jamie rose, like the waves and also notice you have some nice muscular arms there, you must work out??

Haha thanks, yes I work out a lot, but I think it's also my bathroom lighting- it's at just the right angle to make me look more toned I think :rolling:

Jamierose... you have hair like mine!!! I too am hair type conflicted... I finally changed on my profile to 1c/2a, but still not sure..... my siggy pic is w/ brushed and blow dried hair (i know... :( ) I have washed and air dried pics in my album (no product)... the more I learn about proper care, the wavier (I think) it gets........

It's frustrating! Mine is straighter after henna, but still poofs and waves randomly. It hold braid waves very well though, days if I leave them in braids damp overnight. Most people say that moisture makes them hair wavier, seems to do the opposite for me- I get the strongest waves after I shampoo and condition...

kimberlily
September 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Soooooooooo... I got my hair layered yesterday. She blew it straight, but here it is after wetting it down and scrunching a little:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/kimberlily74/Picture099.jpg

And in the sun...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/kimberlily74/Picture100.jpg

SpinDance
September 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Another wavie checking in. I sure wish I had real, across-more than-one-hair waves, but it seems like each of mine waves or curls on its own path. Thus frizz. Fuzz. Major poof if I'm not careful the day I wash it.

However, it will hold braid or bun waves nicely, and after the first day looses a lot of the volume/fuzzines.

I don't have the tangle problems some have reported here, thankfully. I did when I was a child and my very fine, short haired mother had me use a brush. Then I ended up with yucky mats and tangles under the brushed top layer. I finally learned to finger comb out the tangles in the shower with shampoo then conditioner on, very carefully, and now with propery care it hardly tangles at all.

These days I only use my fingers or a horn or wooden hair fork to do my 'combing'. I've never (yet) paid much attention to whether the products I've been using are coney, just whether I like the results I get or not.

Oiling is something new for me, since I never knew how to do it before. I've been having great luck with 2 drops f hair oil when my hair is wet from the shower, then adding a similarly tiny amount of leave-in conditioner. And yes, exactly 2 drops, 3 is too much and makes my hair lank and clumpy, not in a nice way.

I'm really looking forward to learning more about what works for other wavies! Maybe some day I'll learn how to get nice, consistent waves across the whole of my hair, or even curling clumps like some of you lucky folks have.

Xandergrammy
September 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Soooooooooo... I got my hair layered yesterday. She blew it straight, but here it is after wetting it down and scrunching a little:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/kimberlily74/Picture099.jpg

And in the sun...
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a275/kimberlily74/Picture100.jpg

kimberlily, I love your new layers! I think it looks beautiful! :crush:

Xandergrammy
September 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b106/maccallister/Dreadwurls.png?t=1250669153

I think this looks amazing! :inlove:

kimberlily
September 17th, 2009, 02:59 PM
kimberlily, I love your new layers! I think it looks beautiful! :crush:

Thank you Xandergrammy :) The layers really bring out my wave. I am rather in love with them, and I haven't really had a chance to really see how wavy I can get :D

NicoleMarie
September 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I think I belong here :) My hair is a fun assortment of different things. The top layer is straightish frizz, my middle layer is wavy & loose ringlets (only on the sides, and my under layer is straight and super soft. I use to HATE my hair.. and I use to wash/blowdry/straighten every day :bigeyes: That was almost 3 years ago. When my son was born, my hair care routine took a back seat, thankfully! I love my hair now.

Here's some pics :) I just took these now. I washed yesterday with a shampoo bar and I use a bit of leave in conditioner, then I air dry.
Back:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/nmdebele/91709014.jpg

See my ringlet? :crush:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/nmdebele/91709012.jpg

And here I pulled my under layer up front so you can see all my variation :)
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/nmdebele/91709013.jpg

(And can someone please help me out with the 2a 1b codes..? I have no idea what they mean and I can't seem to find a thread :confused: Thanks :))

NicoleMarie
September 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Opps, found the classification thread.. please forgive my hijack! :o

Flynn
September 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Opps, found the classification thread.. please forgive my hijack! :o

Hahaha, oh, no; that's fine! Sometimes it's hard to work out exactly what you are, especially for those of us with a combination of textures in there!

Do you have a bigger pic of the back?

Flynn
September 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I think this looks amazing! :inlove:

Aaw, thanks! (I worry it looks ratty... I'm thinking of trying some VERY LONG layers to see if it'll break them up depth-wise rather than just having them broken up across-wise, if you get what I mean...)

pradabacon
September 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I'd like to see a bigger pic of the back, too.

You've got beautiful hair, NicoleMarie. And welcome to the forum! :flower:

pradabacon
September 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Aaw, thanks! (I worry it looks ratty... I'm thinking of trying some VERY LONG layers to see if it'll break them up depth-wise rather than just having them broken up across-wise, if you get what I mean...)

I bet long layers would look awesome in your hair, Flynn. And if you didn't like them, it wouldn't be a major undertaking to grow them out. :)

Flynn
September 17th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I bet long layers would look awesome in your hair, Flynn. And if you didn't like them, it wouldn't be a major undertaking to grow them out. :)

I'm a trimmer anyway, and my hair grows fast, so I guess it wouldn't be...

Charentais
September 17th, 2009, 09:45 PM
And here I pulled my under layer up front so you can see all my variation :)
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/nmdebele/91709013.jpg

I'm laughing because I have those straight underlayer bits too!

:D

Your hair looks thicker than mine and I wouldn't venture a guess on your hair type.

NicoleMarie
September 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Thank you for all the compliments! :crush:

And woops.. I had a full sized pic, then I made an avatar and I replaced the original instead of saving a copy..

Here we go:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/nmdebele/91709014-1.jpg

Rohele
September 18th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Welcome to LHC NicoleMarie! Your hair is very pretty. :)

I have those straight bits underneath too - they won't curl no matter what I do to them.

NicoleMarie
September 19th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Thank you :) I don't mind the straight parts, it's super duper soft :cool:

pradabacon
September 19th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I'm going to the store later. Does anyone have a recommendation for a curl cream? I've never used one before, so I need to pick one up before I try the twisting technique.

Rohele
September 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM
It depends where you are going. I like AG recoil, but it's mostly available at beauty supply stores - I have never found it at a drugstore/grocery store. I've also tried Herbal Essences totally twisted gel. but it gets really crunchy (have to scrunch it out). It works fairly well, but I couldn't stand the scent.

pradabacon
September 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Do they carry AG recoil at Sally's? I'm going to Walmart, but there's a Sally's right there, too. Or is there anything you can think of that Sally's has?

I don't like strong smells either, so I'll pass on the Herbal Essences. :) Their S & C's give me a major headache.

Thanks for the quick answer. :flower:

Rohele
September 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Do they carry AG recoil at Sally's? I'm going to Walmart, but there's a Sally's right there, too. Or is there anything you can think of that Sally's has?

I don't like strong smells either, so I'll pass on the Herbal Essences. :) Their S & C's give me a major headache.

Thanks for the quick answer. :flower:

I don't know if they would have it at Sally's (none in my area), but it sounds like a good place to check. I've found it here (Canada) in several different stores that sell salon type hair products.

pradabacon
September 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Rohele. I didn't have time to check in Sally's tonight, but I'll go see tomorrow or Monday. :flower:

K_Angel
September 20th, 2009, 12:20 AM
:waving: Hi fellow wavies! :)

I might have missed it in this thread, but what oil do you guys use for deep oil treatments? The only one I"ve found that works for me is Camilla Japonica.

Do you find that oil, even small amounts of it, sort of separates your hair into sections,
or is it just me? :shrug:

pradabacon
September 20th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Hiiii, K Angel. :waving:

The only oil I've tried so far is coconut, and that doesn't work for me at all. It does clump my hair up, and it just seems to sit on top of my hair and never soak in (no matter how little I use). It also made me break out a little.

At the moment, I'm not using any oils at all. I'm trying to decide what (if any) I'll try next.

BlueWaterRed
September 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Wow, this thread feels like home ... kicks off shoes, throws jacket on chair and plops onto the couch ...

K_Angel
September 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Wow, this thread feels like home ... kicks off shoes, throws jacket on chair and plops onto the couch ...
It does, doesn't it. :)

K_Angel
September 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hiiii, K Angel. :waving:

The only oil I've tried so far is coconut, and that doesn't work for me at all. It does clump my hair up, and it just seems to sit on top of my hair and never soak in (no matter how little I use). It also made me break out a little.

At the moment, I'm not using any oils at all. I'm trying to decide what (if any) I'll try next.
Oils haven't worked out well for me.

I've tried:
coconut
jojoba
almond
and a few others I can't think of now....

I know true curlies swear by it... but as a wavy, even carefully using a one/two drop of it, all I get is greasy hair. :shrug:

Now, if my hair is snarly I use the camellia oil to get the snarls out as a pre-DT.

I don't think that really means it's working so great,
as it does that I bought the expensive stuff
and I'm bound and determined to use every drop until it's gone! :rollin:

Anyone else have moisture retention problems with wavy hair?

luluj
September 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I haven't found an oil that I "love" yet either, but I do like some of the glossing serums that give your hair plenty of shine. They don't seem (to me) to be as thick as some of the oils mentioned here in previous posts. You just put a "dab" on your palm, rub your hands together and smooth through dry hair. My favourite one so far is SILK ELEMENTS Glossing polish. I live in Canada and we just had a Sally's open up near my house so that is where I bought it. I also use PROCLA!AIM Glossing Polish with ALOE and Natural Oils. Both of these products also eliminate frizz.

luluj
September 20th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that both of the glossing polishes can also be applied to damp hair. My hair is very curly when it is short (like now) but it is also fine so I too find some of the popular oils, like coconut, do leave me with the greasies even when I use a dot of it!

K_Angel
September 20th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that both of the glossing polishes can also be applied to damp hair. My hair is very curly when it is short (like now) but it is also fine so I too find some of the popular oils, like coconut, do leave me with the greasies even when I use a dot of it!
Well, at least I'm not alone on the oil "front!" LOL

Do the glossing polishes have cones in them?

Do most wavies use cones or no cones? Or is it just as individualized as
anyone elses hair?

luluj
September 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Well, at least I'm not alone on the oil "front!" LOL

Do the glossing polishes have cones in them?

Do most wavies use cones or no cones? Or is it just as individualized as
anyone elses hair?

Yes K_Angel, they do have cones in them, yet I have been using glosses for ages and my hair always looks pretty good and it does shine (very important for us silver streaked girls) like a new penny (or nickle in my case LOL!):bounce::bounce: when I use them.

luluj
September 20th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Here is a great link to check out! http://www.britishcurlies.co.uk/ I hope you like it, I found it very interesting!

K_Angel
September 21st, 2009, 12:39 AM
Yes K_Angel, they do have cones in them, yet I have been using glosses for ages and my hair always looks pretty good and it does shine (very important for us silver streaked girls) like a new penny (or nickle in my case LOL!):bounce::bounce: when I use them.
Very cool! I'm looking forward to trying some. :)

We have a Sally's nearby, I'll see if they carry the kind you mentioned.

You said you put some in your hand and spread it on. Would you say you use a drop or
more?

Oh and thank you very much for the site, I'm planning on spending some time there. :)

detritus
September 21st, 2009, 12:48 AM
My hair hates cones. I've tried several different types--the "cyclos," the "amos," etc. and they all look nice for the first few days and then I end up with lifeless, dry, crunchy hair. I just realized my shampoo (of all things) has cones hidden way down at the end, which probably explains why my hair has been a little "off" for the last month or so.

I adore oils, but it took a lot of experimenting to find the one that works for me. Coconut made my hair crunchy and my skin break out. Jojoba, olive, almond, avocado, and meadowfoam were all way to heavy. But I adore camellia oil. I use it on my face too and I rarely have pimples anymore. It's a really light oil and it soaks in quickly. I think it encourages my waves rather than weighs them down. I like shea butter a lot too, despite it's heaviness my hair just drinks it up. I melted some shea and camellia together and have been using that a lot. I also picked up some Africa's Best hair oil, which is a mixture of several different oils. It's light, cheap, and soaks in quickly but the smell is pretty strong. It seems to fade quickly.

Garden of wisdom (http://www.gardenofwisdom.com) is a good source for hard to find carrier oils. They have pretty good prices too.