PDA

View Full Version : hair trimming myth

fisher2
August 17th, 2009, 09:57 PM
me n the girlfriend argue about nothing funny. so she brought up trimming to my sis and said trimming makes it grow faster so i want your imput on if its true or not. i know it isnt but. note it isnt a fight more of a fun debate :). last fight was about masquetos gender lol

HairColoredHair
August 17th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Trimming your hair can make it SEEM to grow faster because 1) you're paying attention, especially if you cut it much shorter than normal and 2) because you remove damaged ends that break off and impede the growth. However, if your hair is in good condition, it shouldn't make it grow any faster.

Mosquitoes? The ones that bite are female... and the females buzz at a higher pitch. That's all I know. :lol:

CowgirlKate
August 17th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Trimming your hair does not make it grow faster. Hair does not grow from the end but the scalp. If you want it to grow faster you need to start there. Trimming may make it feel thicker at the ends but it is not growing any faster.

Gumball
August 17th, 2009, 10:11 PM
You don't cut your feet off to grow taller! Same with hair. It grows from the root, so cutting the tip off does nothing about the growth. What it can do in some cases is trim off some damage that has the potential of causing breakage. Breakage may make it seem like it isn't growing.

JamieLeigh
August 18th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I agree - complete myth! The scalp is where the hair grows from, and it pays absolutely no attention to what you're doing at the ends of your hair. ;) I agree with what the first reply to your OP said, it only seems to grow longer when you trim because you're paying attention. Plus, when your ends are blunt, it's easier to spot new growth over the shorter periods of time. (Say a month or two) I've gone 7 years with no trimming before, and now I trim frequently. Trust me, it's never grown any faster than usual either way.

Elle214
August 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
One more question: What do you think about things like trimming according to the lunar calendar? I know some people believe it will let your hair grow faster or thicker, ....

Cheros
August 18th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Is that to do with the gravitational pull on your scalp :)
To me it sounds like a myth, unless someone can scientifically prove & explain it.

silencepainter
August 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM
You don't cut your feet off to grow taller!

Aww man! I wish someone had told me this sooner.... :(

Darkhorse1
August 18th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Myth-yes and no.

If you have damaged hair, it will travel up the hair shaft and split higher, causing breakage and thus, thinning ends. If you trim regularily, you'll keep the damage to a minimum, thus, the hair will seem as if it's growing faster.

But , no, cutting hair doesn't 'stimulate' growth. It really can't. :)

Mosquitoes. I'd like to know why the bite multiple times around your ankles!

dearladydisdain
August 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I don't understand how your roots could hear your dead ends being cut and decide to grow faster. :rolleyes: It's like the "shaving makes your hair darker and thicker!11!!1" thing. Cutting has no effect on the follicle.

Haha, I haven't even heard anyone TRY to come up with a scientific explanation for those, ever.

Fractalsofhair
August 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Cutting hair does make it appear to grow faster if you treat your hair as most people do, ie, with tons of damage. Also, the scalp massage you get at the salon may have a slight benefit. However, it's not needed if you take care of your hair.

RedStripe
August 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM
When I was in high school I fell for my sister's claims about the hair trimming story and let her trim my hair regularly. I couldn't figure out why it never seemed to get any longer ...

spidermom
August 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I agree. Only if the ends are damaged and breaking off does trimming help them to grow. The last year that I kept track of measurements and trimmed, my hair gained 5-1/2 inches in length. Last year I didn't trim at all for one whole year, and my hair grew 7 inches. However, I then had the thinning ends cut back 1-1/2 inch, so I ended up with 5-1/2 inches of length gain.

Tanuki
August 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Soooo, it was pretty much the same either way Spidermom? Fascinating /:-|

spidermom
August 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Soooo, it was pretty much the same either way Spidermom? Fascinating /:-|

It was pretty interesting. Of course I'd have ended up with more length without trimming if I didn't mind thin ends, but I don't like them that way. It makes the end of my braid look puny.

Tanuki
August 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
To quote Gir: http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/gir.gifI understand

Renbirde
August 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Is that to do with the gravitational pull on your scalp :)
To me it sounds like a myth, unless someone can scientifically prove & explain it.
Uh-huh. I've heard of this idea-- that some sort of pull makes hair grow faster. And people do pull on their hair for this reason-- which makes bald spots, not longer hair. (Talk about counterproductive! :()