PDA

View Full Version : My "beat the heat" summer ponytail (Pic Heavy)

ericthegreat
August 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
It got up to 93 degrees here today. When it gets this hot, I automatically go to my favorite hairstyle, the simple yet classic high ponytail. As usual I'm a pic fanatic so enjoy guys.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3750&pictureid=48134

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3750&pictureid=48126

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3750&pictureid=48133

ericthegreat
August 17th, 2009, 07:23 PM
........................continued

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3750&pictureid=48124

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3750&pictureid=48125

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3750&pictureid=48140

kdaniels8811
August 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
You have the most beautiful, enviable hair! The high pony is great! Especially in the heat.

ericthegreat
August 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
........................continued

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3750&pictureid=48144

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3750&pictureid=48135

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3750&pictureid=48142

ericthegreat
August 17th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks kdaniels! I'm simply too impatient to do anything more complicated than a high ponytail or a chignon on my own hair, I love fast and simple hairstyles that are also neat.

PhillyGirl1978@
August 17th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Ok....what the heck do you use to get it to stay, cause my high ponytail just will not stay put, I mean within seconds it falls out. And I have curls so I figured with it being less slippy than yours it would work. What's the deal?

ericthegreat
August 17th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Phillygirl, I tie my high ponytail really tight, I will double my hair elastic 4 to 5 times and then I will split my ponytail in half with my hands and pull on the two sides tightly to secure it.

ericthegreat
August 17th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Oh and I pretty much always dampen the scalp area of my hair only when I am doing a high ponytail. Only dampen the hair on your scalp, leave the rest of your hair totally dry, as you want your hair to swing as you walk.

I have a water bottle which I spray onto my scalp. Then I will either use my 100% boar bristle brush or my rat tail comb(I use whichever I happen to have on me at the moment) and then use it to smooth over my hair before bending over face down. Standing bent over with my face down, I will grab all of my hair and locate the crown of my head and position my hair elastic there and tie my ponytail in that spot. I will then come back up again and use my boar bristle brush or my rat tail comb to smooth over any lumps I have on my scalp and perfect the look.

Garnet66
August 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
As usual your hair is simply stunning. Nice ponytail, I'm sure it helped with the heat.

Fairlight63
August 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Nice pony tail! I am envious of the thickness!

Gumball
August 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Turning around might help with a better view of it. :) Looks good from what's able to be seen though. It's a good thing you're able to make it stay. For me my summer "beat the heat" style is the same thing I wear most of the time. Always up, always off my neck, and in the summer I just add a fan into the mix whenever possible! I'm an ice man.

julya
August 17th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I need my hair totally confined on those really hot days, I like a bun much more than a ponytail. But your ponytail is very cute!

PhillyGirl1978@
August 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Oh and I pretty much always dampen the scalp area of my hair only when I am doing a high ponytail. Only dampen the hair on your scalp, leave the rest of your hair totally dry, as you want your hair to swing as you walk.

I have a water bottle which I spray onto my scalp. Then I will either use my 100% boar bristle brush or my rat tail comb(I use whichever I happen to have on me at the moment) and then use it to smooth over my hair before bending over face down. Standing bent over with my face down, I will grab all of my hair and locate the crown of my head and position my hair elastic there and tie my ponytail in that spot. I will then come back up again and use my boar bristle brush or my rat tail comb to smooth over any lumps I have on my scalp and perfect the look.

Wow...ok. That makes sense but unfortunately with my hair being curly and not real slippy, if I used a skinny hair elastic and tied it tied in a high pony tail, I would never...I mean never get it out!lol The breakage would be horrendous....guess I'll have to find something else! Looks great on you though!

ericthegreat
August 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I need my hair totally confined on those really hot days, I like a bun much more than a ponytail. But your ponytail is very cute!

Oh I definitely agree julya, a bun keeps your hair completely off your body and its certainly the most practical style to wear on these hot days. But me personally, I like to still show off some length :p, so of course the high ponytail is my personal best choice.

Laylah
August 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM
looks nice on you. I can't do high ponytails because they give me a headache :(
Most buns require redoing halfway through the day, so I prefer braids for hot summers.

Aditi
August 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Lookin good :D i wish i can get my pony tail to stay that high, it always seems to lower down after few minutes.

EtherealOde
August 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM
*sighs* I just love your hair, it is divine! :heartbeat

JamieLeigh
August 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I'm glad to hear that all you used was water and a BBB to make the hair at your scalp look so sleek when you pulled it back. It's nice to know you don't have to use lots of product to achieve a nice, sleek look. :) As always, your hair is gorgeous, thanks for sharing!!

Sheltie_Momma
August 18th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks for sharing the pictures - sigh. glorious as always!

ericthegreat
August 18th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Jamie, I definitely know what helps is my natural sebum mixed in with the water. As you know I only do CO rinses, I normally don't shampoo unless I need to on a rare occasion clarify my hair. My natural scalp oils + plain old tap water from my spray bottle are all I need to slick back and hold my high ponytail for the whole day.

Occasionally, I will also sometimes use a liquid leave-in conditioner (I have several different brands like Infusium 23) and spray that into my hair as well when I'm doing a high ponytail. The key here is that I don't use any hairsprays or hair gels, those dry out your hair. I use only the most natural and moisturizing substances to slick back my hair.

ericthegreat
August 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for sharing the pictures - sigh. glorious as always!

You're most definitely welcome Sheltie Momma! ;)

camirra555
August 18th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Very nice! It's so thick and long, I have to admit I'm a tad envious lol

zift
August 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Your ponytail looks really nice. My favourite style is ponytail too but I can't wear them high because of the weight so I always envy people carrying high ponytails:)

LaFlor
August 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM
*so jealous* Your hair smooths back into a pony so well.

ericthegreat
August 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
*sighs* I just love your hair, it is divine! :heartbeat

I think I'll remember your compliment the most.

Renbirde
August 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Very shiny! Have you been playing with the Ojon again?

I'm rather envious-- a ponytail isn't much cooler for me than wearing my hair down.

ericthegreat
August 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Actually RenBird I did the Ojon treatment last Thursday and washed it out that night. Pehaps there may still be miniscule traces of the Ojon left, but the shine is most definitely from my own natural sebum + water from my spray bottle. Since I CO on a normal basis, my hair is never completely "squeaky clean", it will always have a thin layer of my natural sebum coating it. And I like it that way. :)

spidermom
August 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I thought pulling your ponytail in opposite directions to tighten it was a major no-no because it makes the pony-holder slide against the natural lie of the cuticle, disrupting it and causing breakage.

I wear a high ponytail to bed, but as soon as I get up, it slides down.

Aisha25
August 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I could never do a high ponytail :lol: my hair would get pulled out of my scalp. Plus it hurts to even try one. I think braids are the best for when its hot.

Elphie
August 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM
My head hurts just looking at it! But it looks good on ya, eric!

nowxisxforever
August 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Your hair is very lovely, Eric... but... a thread because of a ponytail? :silly: Why not do something extra-special with your hair and make a thread on that instead? A ponytail is pretty standard...

nowxisxforever
August 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I could never do a high ponytail :lol: my hair would get pulled out of my scalp. Plus it hurts to even try one. I think braids are the best for when its hot.

I can't do high ponytails either. I do buns when it's hot.

neon-dream
August 18th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Eric your hair is lovely but I have to agree with nowxisxforever

Your hair is very lovely, Eric... but... a thread because of a ponytail? :silly: Why not do something extra-special with your hair and make a thread on that instead? A ponytail is pretty standard...

I didn't see the need for 9 photos either, though I am amazed at how well your ponytail holds! *envy*

Buns are better for me in the heat, it keeps the hair off my neck completely and protects my ends at the same time. A ponytail would do much more harm than good for my hair.

ericthegreat
August 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Well, this is how I normally wear my hair during the summer, and I felt like sharing with you guys how I wear my hair in my normal everyday life.

I never do anything super fancy with my hair, I neither have the time nor the patience to do a complicated updo. And I'll be frank, I'm still a guy. An extravagant updo would look very silly on me in my opinion.

nowxisxforever
August 18th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Eric your hair is lovely but I have to agree with nowxisxforever

I didn't see the need for 9 photos either, though I am amazed at how well your ponytail holds! *envy*

Buns are better for me in the heat, it keeps the hair off my neck completely and protects my ends at the same time. A ponytail would do much more harm than good for my hair.

Yeah, buns are best for me too-- or braids. Having my hair loose in any fashion is a nightmare! I haven't ever been able to do the high ponytail thing. If it holds, it makes my hair follicles ache.

Heavenly Locks
August 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I thought pulling your ponytail in opposite directions to tighten it was a major no-no because it makes the pony-holder slide against the natural lie of the cuticle, disrupting it and causing breakage.

Yeah, my hair couldn't take that I don't think without just shredding apart! :bigeyes:

I love how smooth you can get your hair to lie Eric! *green with envy* I always end up with some shorter floaty bits poking out. Especially near my ears that end up looking like water buffalo horns! LOL

ericthegreat
August 18th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah, my hair couldn't take that I don't think without just shredding apart! :bigeyes:

I love how smooth you can get your hair to lie Eric! *green with envy* I always end up with some shorter floaty bits poking out. Especially near my ears that end up looking like water buffalo horns! LOL

LMAO thanks. I seriously have hair like steel, my strands refuse to break even after swimming 5 days a week and wearing tight ponytails pretty much every day unless I'm leaving it down and straight.

nowxisxforever
August 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Well, this is how I normally wear my hair during the summer, and I felt like sharing with you guys how I wear my hair in my normal everyday life.

I never do anything super fancy with my hair, I neither have the time nor the patience to do a complicated updo. And I'll be frank, I'm still a guy. An extravagant updo would look very silly on me in my opinion.

I don't know, I see things all the time that guys locally do with their hair... it always looks really good when they do something most guys are afraid to do because it would make them look "less manly" or something.

I think when guys wear their hair in a way most won't, that it looks extra good on them simply because you know it takes guts.

ericthegreat
August 18th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I don't know, I see things all the time that guys locally do with their hair... it always looks really good when they do something most guys are afraid to do because it would make them look "less manly" or something.

I think when guys wear their hair in a way most won't, that it looks extra good on them simply because you know it takes guts.

Well, again I personally prefer to wear simple styles that are easy and fast. This is part of who I am, simple, neat, no huge frills.

ericthegreat
August 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM

I wear a high ponytail to bed, but as soon as I get up, it slides down.

I know......I do a lot of things that would be damaging to someone with finer hair. But, my hair really can take what I put it thro. And we all know its all just dead protein anyway so why not enjoy it the way we all personally see fit to wear it! :cheese::cheese:

eadwine
August 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Got an album Eric? ;) Just hinting *chuckle*

Aisha25
August 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I would be too scared to even try to tighten a ponytail like that :scared: Cause I know later on I would cry and complain from all the damage I put on my hair.

yellowchariot
August 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Eric,

I think some of these ladies are just jealous :D :p LOL J/K!

but that is an awesome ponytail :thumbsup:

ericthegreat
August 19th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Eric,

but that is an awesome ponytail :thumbsup:

Thanks bro. *fist bump*

Fethenwen
August 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Wow, it suits you very well. I think it would look real cool tightly braided high up too.

eadwine
August 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I think some of these ladies are just jealous
Who? I see compliments all over :D

Aisha25
August 20th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Eric,

:rollin: wait hahaha :laugh:

nowxisxforever
August 20th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I know......I do a lot of things that would be damaging to someone with finer hair. But, my hair really can take what I put it thro. And we all know its all just dead protein anyway so why not enjoy it the way we all personally see fit to wear it! :cheese::cheese:

I believe traction alopecia is also a worry with wearing tight styles like that, which is a worry regardless of hairtype.

eadwine
August 20th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Yep, nowxisxforever is right. I have had it! If you look through my older styles you can see it still. So be careful, because your hair canNOT take it at all, even if you think it can. It's a matter of time and it takes a LONG time to grow it back again. My section is now shoulder length again so it FINALLY stays in a braid or bun without running off on me.

maria_asa
August 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I don't see what the fuss is all about. I mean you have very nice hair but you've posted nine(!) pictures showing your face much more than your hair. If you truly want to show us your ponytail, why not post pictures with a back and/or side view?
Sorry, just don't get it. :shrug:

pdy2kn6
August 21st, 2009, 03:19 AM
You really do love taking photos lol. Very shiny long ponytail

Jason
August 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
I don't see what the fuss is all about. I mean you have very nice hair but you've posted nine(!) pictures showing your face much more than your hair. If you truly want to show us your ponytail, why not post pictures with a back and/or side view?
Sorry, just don't get it. :shrug:

I was wondering the same thing. They are not nine different photos showing the ponytail from various angles or lighting but they are instead nine identical face photos!

Gumball
August 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM

*high five* It's true. I get more compliments (or actual compliments) more often when I do something out of the ordinary that isn't just a regular braid or bunned braid.

nowxisxforever
August 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
*high five* It's true. I get more compliments (or actual compliments) more often when I do something out of the ordinary that isn't just a regular braid or bunned braid.

Yay!

Yeah, I hand out compliments like candy to any guys I see with their hair up in something interesting, or if their hair is just gorgeous. ((Sidetracked: There's a guy that works with me... pulls it back in a ponytail... but his hair is brown, with natural blonde highlights, big, well-defined curls- and the highlights highlight each and every curl (sun exposure). It's about to BSL. I tell him his hair is gorgeous every. single. day. I'd trade him, even with the loss of length, in a moment.))

long-hair-fan
October 8th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Is there any reason why i can't see your images?

JCFantasy23
October 8th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I love high ponytails too. Sometimes the simpler styles can look the best. Thanks for posting these pictures.

long-hair-fan
November 9th, 2009, 12:13 AM
High ponytails are my favorite style, and you can really pull it off! Looks great