PDA

View Full Version : These guys so need to check out the styles page...

Jezzie
August 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
So I read this in an article and felt compelled to share it because it seems so insane to me..

"Beauty Feature: The Death of Long Hair
According to some stylists, the less hair you have, the more styling options open up to you. “Short hair allows you more control over your style,” says James Corbett, a New York City-based hairstylist and colourist. “Long hair is a lot of work, which is why so many women don’t do anything with it except have a professional blow-dry.”"

Haha yes because most women with long hair just blow dry it!

If you'd like the read the whole silly thing here it is:
http://www.harpersbazaar.com.au/beauty-feature-the-death-of-long-hair.htm

spidermom
August 17th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Oh poppycock! It's just wishful thinking; they're hoping to attract more high-maintenance business.

KarpatiiSiv
August 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
So insane to me as well but I enjoyed reading the comments as most of them were pro-longhair.:cheer:

amyapple329
August 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I enjoyed the comments too. I love long hair.

Fractalsofhair
August 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Lulz. Well, I guess a shaved hair has so many styling options by their logic! I guess it depends on how long we mean. If we're talking about looks in the front, VERY long hair(Let's go with longer than BSL, since this is by society's standards(though I personally think it's only very long if it's TB or longer, and many here would argue floor!)) with a blunt cut isn't going to have a ton. But the back styles and buns!!! Oh my! Shoulder length layers in the front with BSL hair offer many more styling options, as do front layers and bangs. However, their logic about coloring is VERY true in the case of our dear bottle blonde from darkest brunette, etc. In terms of heat styling and such, it is a lot easier to get it done on "short" hair, which is what I think they mean by long haired people only get a blow out at the salon,as opposed to curls/straightening. Long hair is a lot of work if a woman straightens it daily and dyes it a lot with chemical dyes etc. However, the LHC style of long hair is very low work. I do find it interesting how they suggest using pomades on short hair but not washing it all that often. Given how people are expected to wash their hair daily, this might be a good turn of events for people!

Fiferstone
August 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM
In my not so humble opinion, it's all about encouraging people to have more high-maintenance hair options by telling them those high-maintenance options will be more "versatile." My own personal experience tells me otherwise. There is very little else one can do with the Dorothy Hamill style wedge than...wear it in the wedge! The long top layers are not quite long enough to put back; the shorter under layers are too long to even do a pony-stub with, and that's a longer "short" hair style.

I endured several (5) years of growing that sucker out, getting rid of mullet-like layers, cutting the last mullet-layer off into a chin-length bob, and then starting on my hair growing journey proper (little did I know), around 1985.

If you're going to go for a shorter hairstyle for a "change" and because you're tired of your length, I strongly advocate a chin length or shoulder length bob, blunt cut, if you can pull it off. You won't have the wacky layers thing going on, and it won't take too long before you can pull it back if you do indeed have "buyer's remorse."

I also think it takes an unacceptably long time (to the stylist and salon owner) to perform services other than a blow-out on people with "long" (by our standards) hair. It takes too long per long-haired client, whereas you can get done with a short 'do in anywhere from a few minutes to 2 hours, max. I'll bet that comes into play as well.

NiAosSi
August 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
One only need to peek in here for a bit to see how versatile long hair is. We have an array of members who are masters at buns, braids, waves, curls, etc...

Lady Mary
August 17th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Four reasons to go short
1. It’s attention-grabbing. “A short haircut commands attention – it’s a look,” says Garren. “You will turn heads and you won’t have your hair to hide behind. But just know that to really work short hair, you need to own that cut.”
2. It’s not as drastic as you think. “Transitioning into a shorter style over several haircuts is a smart way to gauge your comfort level,” says Garren.
3. It breaks a fidgeting habit. “If you’re one of those girls who are always playing with their hair, there may be an adjustment period once you go short,” says Garren, who likes the surfer cut for this reason: “It gives the girl something to do with her hands.
4. You’ll be using less shampoo … but more product. “Short hair looks best when it’s washed less frequently — about two to three times a week, max,” says Pipino. “Otherwise, it looks puffy and fluffy.” (Read: soccer mum.) Also, realise that product is key to creating the piece-y, textured feeling that makes short hair look cool (see left).

This article is the opposite of truth :laugh:

1. No, it's not really. I've had short hair for 10 years, no one notices it unless it's bright pink. If anything, when someone did notice, I got "Your hair isn't very feminine." Or "When are you going to grow your hair out?"

2. "Transitioning" over several hair cuts is a good way for the stylists who wrote this stupid article to make money :twocents:

3. Playing with your hair? It's called updos, learn em, love em.

4. Hahaha... Seriously? I had to wash my short hair a lot more than longer hair. Short hair gets so crazy and messy from sleeping on it since you can't put it up. All my hair oils kind of got on the length too much because of it. Also, who uses shampoo anyway :p

spidermom
August 17th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Also, who uses shampoo anyway :p

Me. I think it's great stuff.

Lady Mary
August 17th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Me. I think it's great stuff.

:p <-- Silly face, meaning I was being tongue-in-cheek

Reptilia
August 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM
LOL

Short hair is versatile? Since when? I've never had so many more options with long hair!

I wonder where these people come up with these generalizations.

Tangles
August 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
To be fair, I could do more with my hair at shoulder length just in the sense that it was easier to wear curly, because it was shorter; and it didn't take as long to blow dry straight. If you're the type of person that likes complete control over hair texture, the subtle vagaries of long hair may not be for you.

spidermom
August 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I don't feel I have a lot of versatility with long hair, either. I only use 1-2 buns at my current length because they all look the same from the front anyway, so I go with what is easy, quick, and stays without pulling or twisting. So basically, it's bun, braid, or leave loose, and 85&#37; of the time, it's bunned. When I kept it shorter, I could curl it, straighten it, scrunch in wild waves and curls, plus I had several up-do options, also braiding.

But I don't care. It's my time to wear long hair. I enjoy it.

Renbirde
August 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I am highly amused. I can tell long hair is dead-- I didn't see one comment in favor of short hair! :eyeroll:

^^ I just had fun posting a few thoughts over there... thanks for pointing this out. :giggles:

Who posted that the author needed to come check out the LHC, but the way? Kudos.

krn2891
August 17th, 2009, 09:45 PM
That author seems to have some hate toward long hair. And when I start seeing the people I know with short hair, have it styled differently every time I see them then I might begin to think that it is versatile but until then I will maintain my opinion that short hair is its own style.

Kristen_Marie
August 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I agree with a lot of the comments posted on the article, actually. Your hair style is just that - yours. In addition, I don't think any hair style really "dies." Fashion has this annoying tendency to make people who choose "out of fashion" styles feel like a minority when in all reality fashion-following people are the minority. Who can keep up with the tides of fashion!? It seems as soon as you are in fashion, it is quickly ducking stage left and out of fashion.

-____-; Sorry for the rant. This article really ruffled my feathers :P

Natalia
August 17th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Ugh another one of these silly fashion articles. At least this one admits it will take more product and therefore more styling to make it look "right". Its absolutly silly to me that they say short is the new trend when "long" (aka shoulder/bsl) will be back sooner than you can grow it! Its worth a laugh though thanks :)

Roseate
August 17th, 2009, 11:20 PM
To be fair, I could do more with my hair at shoulder length just in the sense that it was easier to wear curly, because it was shorter; and it didn't take as long to blow dry straight. If you're the type of person that likes complete control over hair texture, the subtle vagaries of long hair may not be for you.

True- lots of people like to regularly change their hair texture by curling it or straightening it, and that is much easier to do with less hair. Same is true of dying it, plus you don't have to worry as much about damage since it will all be trimmed off anyway.

Long hair's not for everyone; some people like the versatility of frequently changing color /texture better than the versatility of down/up, braid/bun/twist.

It's just page filler. They've got to natter about how something is cooler than something else, and today it's short vs long hair.

Syaoransbear
August 18th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I think the versatility the article is talking about is referring to heated styling tools and chemicals. You can heat-style and dye short hair more because it's only 6months-1 year old, while some of the people here have hair that has 8 year old ends. If you straighten hair everyday for 8 years compared to just 6 months, that hair will probably just turn into dust. The people I know with short hairstyles usually straighten and blowdry everyday and while it's not in prime condition, it's in better condition than my hair would be if I tried to do that. Perhaps the versatility is the 'abuse' factor since you don't have to treat short hair as nicely as you do long hair. I think it's also about how you can cut and color on a whim, but with long hair it's a commitment and you can't make drastic changes every month.

But to be honest, I didn't think short hair actually WAS in style. I'm really not into fashion, but every celebrity picture I see and every model on the cover of a magazine has long hair, and the majority of men prefer long hair on women. I sometimes think that short hair is only in style because that's the only style possible with the way people are treating their hair nowadays. I don't know anyone that doesn't have at least a blowdryer, and almost all women I know have a blowdryer, curler, and straightener.

MotherConfessor
August 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM
It’s attention-grabbing. “A short haircut commands attention – it’s a look,” says Garren. “You will turn heads and you won’t have your hair to hide behind. But just know that to really work short hair, you need to own that cut.”

How can a haircut command attention if every one else has it? When my hair is down I notice that it gets noticed. People stop and compliment me in the street and ask if they can touch it. And whatever @#%$ who claims that long hairs "just look boring" can bite me and my fabulous flowing and downright interesting hair!

Laylah
August 18th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I don't think either long hair or short hair can be better/more versatile/more economical/whatever than the other. It really depends on the person and how skilled they are with their own hair, plus their personal preference.

Renbirde
August 18th, 2009, 12:21 AM
How can a haircut command attention if every one else has it? When my hair is down I notice that it gets noticed. People stop and compliment me in the street and ask if they can touch it. And whatever @#%$ who claims that long hairs "just look boring" can bite me and my fabulous flowing and downright interesting hair!
:D Nice way to say it. I've never heard anyone get complimented on how short their hair was, but it's always fun to dash past a group of teenage boys and have one say, "@#%$. That's a lot of hair." in an admiring tone of voice as you recede into the distance, hair flipping gaily in the breeze.
:cheese:

toodramatik
August 18th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Ugh. Take it from a shortie... short hair is not versatile.

The "shortest" versatile hair, imho, is APL. Any shorter and you're kind of doomed.

Jezzie
August 18th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I am highly amused. I can tell long hair is dead-- I didn't see one comment in favor of short hair! :eyeroll:

^^ I just had fun posting a few thoughts over there... thanks for pointing this out. :giggles:

Who posted that the author needed to come check out the LHC, but the way? Kudos.

Hehe that would be me! I've been checking out the style pages because I got engaged on Saturday and I'm now trying to plan how I want my hair for my wedding (it'll be in 2 years and I'm hoping for iliac length by then :)).

I too was very happy to see most comments (when I first looked at the article) were pro-long hair.

LittleOrca
August 18th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I left some "nice" little comments... let's hope they even post them, lol. :D

Unzadi
August 18th, 2009, 04:55 AM
So...using more product is a reason to consider a short style? Well, if you make your income from selling product, sure. For me, nah. I'll stick with my boring old fashioned long hair, thanks. It's so unversatile that I spent a good five minutes this morning debating cinnabun vs bee butt bun vs twin braids vs twin ponytails vs figure eight, and then there's the question of what hairstick...yep, unversatile suits me fine.

Feye
August 18th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Well, short hair has more styling options if you're interested in blowdryers, flatirons, teasing, crimping etc. You can color it and change style a lot if you spend some time hair spraying it in place. There's a ton of advice on how to do that if you look in magazines and on the internet.

But long hair has more styling options if you learn updos. In general, people don't know much about updos and I would personally be lost if I didn't have this forum to teach me.

When I had shorter hair (chin length) I didn't go crazy styling it, I just wore it in the same boring style every day. So yes, there are lots of options, but how many people with short hair do we know who change their hairstyle around a lot? I can't think of anyone.

There's also nothing wrong about looking the same day after day, I kind of like that quality in people around me, long and short hairs :)

violetka
August 18th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I have always liked short hair for myself, it opens up your face. I have had a bob all my life since the age of 9.

It can be quite flexible with styling products, and also quite feminine.

Also in the bob you do not have to go to the hairdresser so much, because it just grows into a longer bob, so you can pretty much forget about it sometimes. With other short hairstyles you definitely need to go once every month or you start looking quite bad.

With the bob you can wear it straight, curly, parted differently, or tied back if necessary, use accessories etc. But it is true that no-one notices your hair so much, I have never had a hair compliment in my life - only the half compliment "you have too much hair for your head". Also my boyfriends always went crazy for long hair.

My hair started growing by accident - I was too busy to get a haircut and after it grew to APL everybody started telling me how feminine I looked and not to cut it.

I think the main quality of short hair is that without too much work it is healthy.

violetka
August 18th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Well, short hair has more styling options if
When I had shorter hair (chin length) I didn't go crazy styling it, I just wore it in the same boring style every day.

I think it depends on the person not so much on the hair length...I like simplicity so much, that I do this now that my hair is longer also.

toodramatik
August 18th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Well, short hair has more styling options if you're interested in blowdryers, flatirons, teasing, crimping etc. You can color it and change style a lot if you spend some time hair spraying it in place. There's a ton of advice on how to do that if you look in magazines and on the internet.

But long hair has more styling options if you learn updos. In general, people don't know much about updos and I would personally be lost if I didn't have this forum to teach me.

When I had shorter hair (chin length) I didn't go crazy styling it, I just wore it in the same boring style every day. So yes, there are lots of options, but how many people with short hair do we know who change their hairstyle around a lot? I can't think of anyone.

There's also nothing wrong about looking the same day after day, I kind of like that quality in people around me, long and short hairs :)

When I had a bob I remember how frustrated I was that I couldn't curl my hair or do an updo. I had to wait for my hair to be APL to DO anything.

I couldn't put it in a ponytail. I couldn't braid it. I couldn't do a half-up. I couldn't curl it (seriously, curled bobs are not that great a look!) or do anything "pretty".

I envy how versatile long hair is. I mean, I know most LHCers don't use styling products or heat tools, but once mine gets longer, I probably will. To me that's kind of 70% of the appeal of long hair.

violetka
August 18th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I love curled bob, seriously :):) it is quite retro gorgeous.

Newniepg
August 18th, 2009, 07:09 AM
:D Nice way to say it. I've never heard anyone get complimented on how short their hair was, but it's always fun to dash past a group of teenage boys and have one say, "@#%$. That's a lot of hair." in an admiring tone of voice as you recede into the distance, hair flipping gaily in the breeze.
:cheese:

That is a lovely image!

I disagree that long hair is dead, I hope that anything different from the 'norm' will always exist. :)

JamieLeigh
August 18th, 2009, 07:31 AM
"You'll be using less shampoo.....but more product"

That was one of their four reasons to go short, like it was a positive thing that you'd be spending more money to maintain a shorter style. :rolleyes: I don't even use shampoo now, and my hair is past my butt. My conditioner is a dollar a bottle, and a bottle lasts me at least two weeks!!!! :D

Darkhorse1
August 18th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Hmm, apparently Lindsay lohan, Demi Moore, Giselle, Tyra banks and thousands of other hollywood starlets don't agree. they have lovely long locks and seem to enjoy them.

*Rose Red*
August 19th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Why do they call long hair boring?
There are so many things you can do with long hair (they need to look around here :D ) you could never do with short hair. And even if you just wear it down - I think that´s not boring at all. Long hair is something special, and if you see 5 people with the same length, it´s not the same.

AJoifulNoise
August 19th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I rarely post in these topics because I never pick up fashion magazines (online or in life). But, this confused me...

“Long hair just doesn’t feel modern right now,” says Garren, the legendary New York City hairstylist responsible for Victoria Beckham’s crop. “The girls with short hair stand out. And those with long hair — well, they just seem boring.”

If short is in style, then when you have short hair you'd blend in... Not stand out. It would conform you, not make you the rebel. Likewise, if long hair is boring, that leads me to believe it is more common than they'd like to admit.

:shrug: Eh, my two cents. It matters not to me whether people have short or long hair as long as they are happy with what they have.

LittleOrca
August 19th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Just wait until a year from know when long hair is in and all the shorties that were told to cut and fry their hair by these stylists and pop-psychologists that Oprah has (other topic I know, but it seems to relate) are out of luck and being condemned for having short hair. It will be something ridiculous like "being too conforming and to be your own person you need long hair." Of course, long to them will be APL and we will still be eccentric and exotic.

Eh, nothing too wrong with that I think. It's like going to the zoo (bear with me with this example for a sec :o). You don't go to the zoo to see cats and dogs and hamsters and the other animals that are common in our everyday lives. You go to the zoo to see something exotic and beautiful and sometimes even endangered. I say we long hairs are like tigers, pandas, polar bears, and all the other animals in that sure, we're different; we're exotic and with the fashion industry going as it is on a Safari hunt against us, we are definitely endangered. ;) [Until we bite back. hehe]

Fethenwen
August 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hahah :P I loved the comments to that article. No one agrees with it!

shadowclaw
August 19th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I loved all the little comments at the bottom. At least the readers have some sense, even if the writer and stylists don't!

I did agree with one part of the article, though. It mentioned that color sticks best to young, fresh hair or however they put it. I agree, back when I was a teenager and experimented with temporary dyes, color always stuck to the top half of my hair way better than the bottom, and I usually had a very obvious gradient of strong color to little color as a result.

However, when using permanent or better quality temp dye, my color always came out nice on the whole thing, and my hair was bsl or longer. So I guess the moral of the story is that cheap stuff works best with fresh, young hair, while high quality stuff works on all hair.

Laurel32
August 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I wonder why they think short hair stands out if it is the 'in' style right now? Long healthy hair will always stand out to me.

rach
August 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM
i know many people with short hair and all i hear are complaints on how everyday they have to make sure the ends curl the right direction or bang in a ponytail (sometimes with mass clips to hold it all in) and they can't do much more than that unless they grow it out.
nahh get a wig , that'll behave better and you can change the colours to assorts of styles :p
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/4/0/9/2/2/webimg/75519063_o.jpg
how much effort would this be in real life!!! something i'm very temped to buy myself

Renbirde
August 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
how much effort would this be in real life!!! something i'm very temped to buy myself
I'd be tempted too, if the thought of putting all my hair in pincurls didn't make me wince. :D I'm too lazy for my own good.

rach
August 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I'd be tempted too, if the thought of putting all my hair in pincurls didn't make me wince. :D I'm too lazy for my own good.

long braid wrapped around and wig cap - sorted ;)

RancheroTheBee
August 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM
There was actually one comment on the article where someone said that short hair "opens the face", but that "of course, you need a decent face to pull it off!"

I kind of wanted to punch this person.

apynip
August 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
The article is a compleat lie. (and i fell for it for teh longest time too) let me tell you what. Short hair? you can staraighten and maybe curl it if its long enough. put a few clippies in it and thats it.

when i had long hair ( growing it back out currently) i could braid it, put it in a fancy bun, half up half down, use hair sticks, curl it with steam rollers, never bothered to straighten it because i was paranoid about it frying my hair, and Tons of other things. loved pony tails and crown braids. french braided my hair all the time loved it.

now? yea... nada. i can bearly put it in a pony tail and half up half down. my french braids look horrble. and i have to pin curl it too.

It was a sad day when my hair fell to teh floor.

thankyousir74
August 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
It goes unneeded to say that this article is ridiculously far from the truth. I just wanted to say that short hair leaves little to no options and I'm happy that the comments were as such. It makes me feel like not as many women believe this preposterous notion.

Renbirde
August 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
[hijack]
long braid wrapped around and wig cap - sorted ;)
That doesn't make a big ripple?

xovictoryxo
August 19th, 2009, 09:08 PM
What a bunch of bullcocky!

Wicked Princess
August 20th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Gyaaaaah! *makes more fake gagging sounds*

Articles are brief. "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". I never take articles like this seriously - not even if they were going to tell me that long hair was back in. Something will always be in. Long hair, short hair, green dreadlocks...who knows?

What really does annoy me, though, is that they honestly think short hair is more versatile! I mean...come on! Long hair is fantastic for function AND aesthetics and that makes it more versatile in my book! You can leave it down...you can put it up...you have more accessories at your disposal, and about eight million different styles to choose from.

Men and women turn their heads to look at my hair when I walk by. I've never seen them do that for other people (unless they were...you know...looking at something other than hair *lascivious snicker*).

Ultimately, what one does with their hair is up to them. Just don't go around lying about what is "versatile" and what isn't! Yeesh.

Flynn
August 20th, 2009, 02:46 AM
[hijack]
That doesn't make a big ripple?

Nope. I do a variation on this: four braids, each from a "quadrant" of my scalp, wrapped around so they lay flat. Looks much like a normal crown braid. No lumps, no ripples. You just have to make sure the braid(s) is (are) flat against your head, not edge-on or twisted or anything.

ladylibra
August 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM
How can a haircut command attention if every one else has it?

Amen to that! My hair commands attention by not looking like everyone else's - when I want it to. Believe it or not, I mostly just want to be left alone... so wearing it in a bun keeps people from really noticing it. When I want the attention (or, don't mind it so much) I wear it out.

nahh get a wig , that'll behave better and you can change the colours to assorts of styles :p
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/4/0/9/2/2/webimg/75519063_o.jpg

I do love a good wig! :D You're making me want to go out and buy a few...

WaimeaWahine
August 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM
"Long hair just doesn't feel modern right now."

What does that even mean. Who is this person to tell anyone what is modern?

“Short hair is fresh hair.”

Fresh as in people with long hair don't bathe or it's just out of style? But even so, isn't retro fashionable?

"...and long hair was over." “And thank god,” says Garren.

With this economy I'm sure this person would say and do just about anything to trump up business.

“The girls with short hair stand out. And those with long hair — well, they just seem boring.”

Really? Because if this Garren person ever picked up an FHM or Maxim or checked with AskMen.com, he'd find the women they vote as being the world's sexiest and most desirable women usually have.... long hair.

As a surfer I'm insulted at the "surfer cut" because there is no such thing. Certainly what that photo is depicting is not a surfer cut unless someone is a poser. True surfers are carefree people not concerned with hairstyle.

heatherdazy
August 20th, 2009, 09:28 AM
IMHO, few long haired women are as knowledgeable about care and styling as the ladies here on LHC. Most of the bsl+ ladies I know stick to down, pony, or a simple bun.

On the other hand, women with chin-apl length hair tend to be more likely to do a wider range of styles on a more regular basis, but of course, most of them are heat styling, which to be fair, while damaging, does open up many different (and quicker) styling possibilities.

I'm not saying I agree with the article in general, though.

rach
August 20th, 2009, 02:14 PM
IMHO, few long haired women are as knowledgeable about care and styling as the ladies here on LHC. Most of the bsl+ ladies I know stick to down, pony, or a simple bun..
think that people give up because the're not inspired so just default :( which i find really quite sad. there are loads of things you can do!!!!!!!!!

Tangles
August 20th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I love curled bob, seriously :):) it is quite retro gorgeous.

Me, too. But my wavy face framing layers give me some of the softness of that style, and I have all the length to do updos with ;)

hmmm
November 22nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
I don't like articles like this. Or articles that proclaim that 'long hair is in'. It's entirely upto the way the person treats their hair. I also get really, really mad when they say that "guys like long hair more" - I can't count the number of times I've heard that one.
Why do personal choices have to be so dependent on what other people think of them? How insecure and desperate for attention do you have to be to think like that?

I got so many unwanted comments when I cut my hair. It isn't very popular where I live. My standard reply was that if they liked hair so much, they should grow theirs. Most of them only had hair around APL, and never did anything with it except wear it down or in a pony.
Now I'm growing my hair, because I want to, for a number of reasons. I couldn't care less if it came back in fashion or if everybody else started cutting theirs. I think people who keep track of things like that need to find something useful to do with their time.

halfbakedtulip
November 22nd, 2009, 04:24 AM
When my hair was short(er) It took forever to do and was a terrible pain. Now I have all sorts of options...up, down, half up, elaborate, free and wild...

And when people fall into the "in" trap what do they do when next year its suddenly in to have long hair? They get extensions. Im not concerned at all. I look better with long hair and I know it wont be long till its "in" again

Laululintu
November 22nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
There was actually one comment on the article where someone said that short hair "opens the face", but that "of course, you need a decent face to pull it off!"

I kind of wanted to punch this person.

Yeah, I didn't take too well to that comment, as they also uttered the grand old "truth":
Long hair is actually ageing..... That's probably why I still get ID'd buying wine, despite reaching the legal age for that almost 8 years ago :rolleyes:

Stevy
November 22nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Well, yeah, long hair is dead. All hair is dead. That's why it doesn't scream when you cut it. :p

embee
November 22nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Hee! Thanks, Stevy! That's absolutely right and is a *great* comeback. :)

I found with short hair I was limited to the style it was cut, and then to trying to figure out what on earth to do when my hair started to grow out of that style but I hadn't the money for a trim or new style. Seemed like most of the time I was in an "awkward stage".... bummer, that!

Keildra
November 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
I just had to comment on certain quotes in the article

"A voluminous short style that’s been immaculately smoothed can easily look newsreader-ish, warns Corbett. 'Short hair needs movement and a little bit of roughness to look cool.'"

long hair no matter what looks cool and already has natural movement.

“and colour looks especially brilliant on hair that hasn’t been damaged and dulled over time, which is usually the case with long hair.”

Which just damages the long locks you will want next week.

"It’s attention-grabbing. “A short haircut commands attention – it’s a look,” says Garren. 'You will turn heads and you won’t have your hair to hide behind. But just know that to really work short hair, you need to own that cut.'"

Knee length hair will turn heads more than your 'seen around every corner' chin length look.

"You’ll be using less shampoo … but more product."

Less shampoo may be good...more product not so much I prefer not to have crunchy stiff hair.

It's a lot easier to fake short hair with your natural long hair than to even try to fake long hair with you not so natural short hair. (not includeing a wig, those ain't natural)

Also you might be a long hair if you laughed hysterically at this article and got strange looks from the people around you.

enfys
November 22nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
What an odd article. It's like someone who doesn't like short hair had to write it.

Yeah, you might age yourself to look like a mum. (Which I find absurd, most of our favourite celebs look like mums, even their examples"!). Oh, and you'll need loads of product. According to some stylists....

I don't think the writer is anti-long hair.

Seems few other people are either, from the comments.

Oh, and for the record I think the best hairstyles to go with the clothes are what many designers are doing and using the 40s influence with rolls and curls, a bit Dita Von Teese or like Rachael from Blade Runner. Which uses long hair, by their standards.

kwaniesiam
November 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
For what you may lack in styling options you can sure make up for in accessories ;)

Even with dreads I can still do a lot more styles than what I could with short hair :shrug:

otherarrow
November 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
*snip snip*

hmmm
November 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Well, yeah, long hair is dead. All hair is dead. That's why it doesn't scream when you cut it. :p

Ha! :cheese:

Babyfine
November 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
In the corner of the world where I live- virtually every woman over 50 has short hair-in a bob and highlighted. Cutting my hair short would make me look just like everyone else.

Hydrilus
November 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Funny article hehe, LHC should storm that place and give them a lot of dead hair to work with:D

p3_Arme
November 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
lets see now; the styles I know and want to try are;
Hair down.
2 Strand Rope Braid
3 Strand Rope Braid
French Rope Braid
Hawser Rope Braid
Cable Rope Braid
3 Strand Braid
French Braid
Dutch Braid
Crown Braid
Lace Braid
4 Strand Twist
French 4 Strand Twist
5 Strand
Elizabethan Taping
Medieval Braids and Styles
Victorian Braids and Styles
Various Buns & Ponytails
I can use Hair Accessories - Sticks, Ribbons, Slides, Nets, Combs, Bobby Pins, etc
I can do different era's and of course copy my favourite movies; Medieval, Elizabethan, Victorian, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars. etcSo would I rather have short or long hair, well depends on the person and depends on what we feel like today :cheese:
Me I love my long hair, as do a lot of my family, friends and collegues, most of them have short to BSL length, but thats what they like, and my long hair is what I like :)

Thanks for reading :p

Liave Ekeli
November 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
I don't care how "versatile" they'd have me believe short hair to be, my long hair is - by far - what I get most complimented on when I'm out and about. I'm not going to cut it all off.

gnegirl
November 22nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
In the corner of the world where I live- virtually every woman over 50 has short hair-in a bob and highlighted. Cutting my hair short would make me look just like everyone else.

I agree, who actually looks YOUNGER in a bob?

JCFantasy23
November 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
“When I have a baby bob, I can wear it really soft and sleek for a 1920s polished look, or I can mess it up for a 1980s punk feeling,” she says.

I guess us poor women with long hair can't wear up hair up soft and sleek, or else tease our hair for 80's punk feelings.

“Short hair is fresh hair,” says celebrity hairstylist Ric Pipino, who has worked with stars such as Cameron Diaz and Eva Longoria, “and colour looks especially brilliant on hair that hasn’t been damaged and dulled over time, which is usually the case with long hair.”

Hmmm....I suppose with all the products they recommend using daily, with daily blowdrying, hair wouldn't stay "fresh" long.

1. It’s attention-grabbing. “A short haircut commands attention – it’s a look,” says Garren. “You will turn heads and you won’t have your hair to hide behind. But just know that to really work short hair, you need to own that cut.”

Anyone else really sick yet of people thinking people like to hide behind long hair? With all the updos and such, and even when down, my hair hides nothing!

I guess long beautiful hair can't turn heads.

4. You’ll be using less shampoo … but more product. “Short hair looks best when it’s washed less frequently — about two to three times a week, max,” says Pipino. “Otherwise, it looks puffy and fluffy.” (Read: soccer mum.) Also, realise that product is key to creating the piece-y, textured feeling that makes short hair look cool (see left).

Again, with their advice long hair would look tired by the time it grew out...

Have to love the top comments

RancheroTheBee
November 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
I agree with the one woman in the comments section who declared that, "fashion is vulgar... the best length is the one that suits you." Sing it, sister.

Besides, I hate how they always have this rotating contest in fashion where someone runs down the street, shrieking, "LONG HAIR IS IN!" and all the short-haired women are meant to feel marmish. Then the following week, "SHORT HAIR IS HIP!", and all the longhairs are meant to feel outdated.

If you cut your hair to follow this trend, what happens when long is in again? Oh, right. Extensions. I forget myself.

And I have no problem with short hair, but in my experience there is no versatility whatsosever involved in it. When I had short (read: pixie to chin) hair, I could leave it curly (which made me look like I'd spent weeks in the jungle, surviving off tree frogs) and straight, which curled up again in a few hours anyway. Mine is STILL too short to do anything truly neat with it.

nougat
November 22nd, 2009, 09:58 PM
I just can't wrap my head around the assertion that short hair is attention-grabbing. I first grew my hair out essentially by ignoring it for several years, and I only realized it had gotten noticeably long because I started receiving regular comments on it!

But I guess the "long" those stylists are thinking about isn't our "long." Probably somewhere between collarbone and APL.

JCFantasy, I agree. I don't know where this idea of people hiding behind their long hair came from.

Alun
November 23rd, 2009, 12:45 AM
Long hair is attention grabbing, as are short skirts and ... certain body parts. This simply doesn't change. I suppose that's unfortunate if you make a living from trying to persuade women to continually change to adopt new fashions.