PDA

View Full Version : Blood on hair

DaveDecker
August 17th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Okay, I searched the forum and couldn't find an existing thread on this topic...

About 20 minutes ago I banged my head on the corner of a counter (instant pain!). :doh: My instinct (after cursing for a minute) was to immediately apply ice. I did so and then noticed blood on the plastic bag. So I checked in the mirror and saw a large blob of blood on my hair near the scalp (several square inches worth). I've tried to blot up the blood as well as I can, but I just washed my hair earlier today and am loathe to wash it again very soon (as I typically go 5-6 days between).

So here's my question: Is leaving blood on the hair not advisable for the well-being of the blood-coated strands? I'm wondering if the hair might get stained. Also wondering if the blood might raise concerns among colleagues tomorrow if they spot it.... :rolleyes:

eresh
August 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I really have no useful advice, but I wanted to say OUCH!
I hope it will heal soon!

I don't think blood will stain the hair.
Maybe you can wet-sponge it off gently and then first let the wound heal before washing it proparly.

spidermom
August 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Couldn't you just rinse the blood out with the spray attachment at the sink or maybe a pitcher? It doesn't seem to me that you need to wash all your hair again. I'd want it out, though; old blood smells bad.

Madame J
August 17th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Um, I think maybe your first concern should be making sure you don't have a serious head injury. I just threw out my "cheat sheet" that I wrote out when I called the advice nurse after whacking my head on the towel rack (I left it out in front of my coworkers, so they could get help if I didn't notice I was displaying symptoms). The ones I remember are if you have a low-grade headache for more then 72 hours, if you develop dizziness, nausea, unusual fatigue, or black eyes within 24 hours, you need to see a medical professional as soon as possible.

Dez
August 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
i guess if you don't brush it then it shouldn't bother you. However has anyone seen how bad your wound is? I know that hair can clot with blood and close up a nasty cut, then when washed the hair and clot loosen up and more bleeding occurs. Also I would be concerned if is saw a co worker with blood in their hair. LOL

missfortune9335
August 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM
lol, you know you're a long hair devotee when you're bleeding from the head and your first thought is for your glorious mane... ;) Hopefully you're okay. I agree with spidermom, I'd a least rinse that part of your hair. It'll get rid of the blood, the smell, and also you'll be able to see the cut better so you'll know if it's anything serious.

adiapalic
August 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Couldn't you just rinse the blood out with the spray attachment at the sink or maybe a pitcher? It doesn't seem to me that you need to wash all your hair again. I'd want it out, though; old blood smells bad.

This was to my thinking :)

Charlotte
August 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
As a mother of two (older) children, I know that heads bleed a LOT!!! They can often look a lot worse than they are. Having said that, you might want to get someone to have a look at it in case you have indeed split your head open...

I'd probably just blot off the blood with a damp washcloth if you don't want to wash your hair yet, since dried blood smells nasty. Your hair will be fine. :)

ImperfectBrat
August 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM
At least call a doctor. Blood in the hair is the least of your worries !

Fractalsofhair
August 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
It shouldn't harm your hair, but damp blood is a great feast for bacteria. If you don't want to wash your hair, I'd suggest taking a damp wash cloth and cleaning away more of the blood, esp as it scabs up. (without removing the scab itself!). I'd also suggest seeing a doctor(Or a trained medical professional) if you feel sick in anyway! Blood doesn't have much of a smell if it's clean and dry, so just dab at the clots in your hair, comb them out(this is what a fine toothed comb is good for!), and be gentle! Was your hair up at the time of this, or down? If it was down, it's going to be a lot easier to take care of! If any coworkers ask, just explain.

Eboshi
August 17th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Dave ! Go to the sink and rinse that hair out under the tap. Do you want people thinking that you got into a bar-room brawl with a group of Hell's Angels? Huh? huh?

Carolyn
August 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Pull your hair back in a ponytail and do a scalp rinse. If you have a hand held thingie in the tub, use that. If you don't have one of those just stick you head in the sink and rinse it off. No need to wash all your hair.

DaveDecker
August 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Um, I think maybe your first concern should be making sure you don't have a serious head injury...

At least call a doctor. Blood in the hair is the least of your worries !

I could see a doctor tomorrow morning. I'll assess "the wound" in the morning and decide then. I am reminded of the time as a 4-year old getting a big gash on my head that required 21 stitches :eek: ... courtesy of an older neighborhood bully who thought it a brilliant idea to throw a large chunk of concrete on my head. :rolleyes: This is a lot less serious.

lol, you know you're a long hair devotee when you're bleeding from the head and your first thought is for your glorious mane...

Guilty as charged. ;)

Dave ! Go to the sink and rinse that hair out under the tap. Do you want people thinking that you got into a bar-room brawl with a group of Hell's Angels? Huh? huh?

Everybody I know would know better. :lol: Or, maybe this is a perfect opportunity to sully my reputation! ;)

Thanks everybody, for your suggestions! Fortunately the bleeding has slowed considerably. I'll go try now to rinse the scalp hair as well as possible.

Delila
August 17th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Beyond the basic 'rinse out the wound really, really well' advice, my only other thought would be to let the blood clot and then leave it undisturbed for a good long while. That way you don't wind up reopening the wound and making a bigger mess.

Hope it heals quickly for you. Ouch.

Monkey962
August 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
When I got a considerable amount of blood in my hair (long story), I just used a LOT of conditioner to coax it out gently.

UncommonTart
August 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Dried blood is heck to get out of hair, especially because the surrounding area does tend to be a bit sensitive. (And believe it or not, it can "stain" your hair.) If it's practical, one should always try to get it out sooner rather than waiting. You don't know me, but I hope your head's alright apart from the bleeding.

TammySue
August 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Hi Dave. Just wanted to assure you that the blood won't stain your hair. I know, because after my brain surgery in December, I had a lot of blood that was caked in my hair for a few weeks. I hope everything is OK and you heal ASAP!

Elenna
August 17th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Besides everything else that everyone has told you. :-D

Another thing to watch out for with an open wound is infections. Here are four steps:
-Wash wound
-Put alcohol on wound (I know it stings!)
-Put Neosporin on wound (great for preventing infections)
-Put bandage on wound until it stops bleeding

This should cover all the bases.

DaveDecker
August 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Great suggestions! You all are awesome. :grouphug:

Besides everything else that everyone has told you. :-D

Another thing to watch out for with an open wound is infections. Here are four steps:
-Wash wound
-Put alcohol on wound (I know it stings!)
-Put Neosporin on wound (great for preventing infections)
-Put bandage on wound until it stops bleeding

This should cover all the bases.

I'll do the first 3... but the bandage won't work. ;)

embee
August 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Bet you're ok, since you got on LHC to ask! :) Otherwise you'd be collapsed on the floor, still bleeding.

Did you get the blood rinsed out? I think it will be easier to do before it's dry. The "new" bleeding will be considerably less and not a problem.

Indigo Girl
August 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Oh ouch, Dave! You pulled one of my moves. :doh:

I have never had a problem with blood staining my hair before, but I have had a problem with it caking on and creating a knot. I agree with the suggestion to blot it out with a damp washcloth.

Hope it feels better soon, and the injury is not too serious.

EdG
August 17th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Ouch! :(

I don't have anything to add about hair, but please get better soon, Dave! We need you to catalyze the next West coast meets! :)
Ed

CowgirlKate
August 17th, 2009, 10:25 PM
If you rinse the area and rub the clot with your fingers it should all come out. I would be more concerned about the wound though.

DaveDecker
August 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Checking back in, one day later...

I succeeded in removing almost all of the blood from the hair. I decided not to see a doctor this morning. There is a scab. I have a headache and have had it all day, but I think it's largely (but not entirely) due to work stresses. Now I want to keep the scab dry so will wait Thursday or Friday morning to do a scalp wash, and hopefully can avoid removing the scab.

Thank you all for your thoughtful and helpful suggestions. :flowers:

little_acorn
August 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Checking back in, one day later...

I succeeded in removing almost all of the blood from the hair. I decided not to see a doctor this morning. There is a scab. I have a headache and have had it all day, but I think it's largely (but not entirely) due to work stresses. Now I want to keep the scab dry so will wait Thursday or Friday morning to do a scalp wash, and hopefully can avoid removing the scab.

Thank you all for your thoughtful and helpful suggestions. :flowers:

:) glad to hear that you are on the mend and I hope your headache starts to resolve soon. If it doesn't maybe you should get yourself checked out just in case.

Delila
August 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear of the headache, but honestly, this time of year I tend to live with a potential headache sort of lurking around the edges all the time no matter what I do (think it's weather/storm/humidity related), so I can definitely understand the urge not to assume you have a concussion as a first option when self diagnosing.

Do get some rest, though, and drink plenty of fluids.

rchorr
August 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Silly Davey Baby! Now you're pulling 1 of my stunts! I've "cleaned" my hair both ways ... wet and dry. The dry blood was harder to get out. It gets REALLY sticky.

At least you'll be healed by the time I see you! YAY!

RCHORR'

Darkhorse1
August 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Haven't read the responses--I hope you're ok!
Blood is a protein, so if you rinse the area with cold water, it will come out. I've had some accidents with being bonked and having little blood dollops. Of course, I have dark hair, so staining wasn't a real issue.

Make sure you are ok!! A whack to the head like that can be pretty serious!

darkwaves
August 18th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Ouch! And you're worrying about your hair!

Pay attention to the headache... It can take several days before you know what any head injury might be cooking up, deep inside your skull... We don't want to lose you!

Alun
August 18th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Your hair will be fine, Dave. Take care of yourself.

Alun

Igor
August 19th, 2009, 05:18 AM
No advice, sorry, but a big hug! I hope you’re not hurting too much

:grouphug:

Spike
August 19th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Ouch!

Yes, wash the injured site and see how your scalp is. You have a limited time to put stitches in (crossing fingers that you don't need them) because the body will begin to heal.

Medical folks say that the additional damage done by stitching a wound together is minimal before the healing response, but after the body starts to do its thing, better not to monkey with it at all.

Blowing a kiss in your general direction to help it heal faster--

DaveDecker
August 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the added replies! :flowers: and :grouphug:

Yesterday I did have a headache which I'm quite sure was not due to job stresses. Thankfully today it has subsided.

I came to realize that there is very little matter between the scalp and the skull. In retrospect I should have had a doctor look at it to decide if stitches would have been advisable. I am planning to scalp wash tomorrow and will endeavor to avoid rubbing or scratching off the scab (which is quite irregular and raised). Yeah, not so bright to avoid the doc. :doh: But I think I'll live. :)

lora410
August 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I would just wipe the area with a wet wash cloth.If it is thick, I would just dump some water on that spot with a cup and scrub.

justgreen
August 20th, 2009, 05:09 PM
If it's still slowly bleeding, get someone to superglue the wound. Then wait a while till your hair dries and gently brush the dried blood out.

AmyJorgensen
August 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Please update us on yourself. Perfectly healthy people have died of head injuries and had only a headache as a symptom.