PDA

View Full Version : Heavy oiling replacing daily conditioner...

ademtce
August 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
lately i've stopped using conditioners, and have replace them with heavy 12 hr oilings twice a week. since i feel conditioners don't really do much but coat the hair rather than really treat the problem (both Cone & Cone-Free conditioners.) I'm in my second week of this and i can certainly say its making a difference, my curls are coming back and my hair feels smooth, in addition on almost got zero fly-aways. ( do however use a detangle after washing my hair when i need it)

i was wondering if anyone else has tried this, or thought about it. well and to pretty much discuss and get recommendations on which oils i should try to add to the mix. Argan is on list whenever i can get some.

this mix i used/make now is of Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil and Shea Butter.

Fractalsofhair
August 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'd suggest doing this if your hair needs oil and moisture. Maybe CO wash it out(since conditioners, at least most mainstream ones do have ingredients that attract moisture to hair.). The only possible issue with this might be build up, but honestly, if it works, it's certainly not harmful to your hair! You might need to do those deep oilings occasionally. Are you using shampoo or WO?

ademtce
August 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
i usually shampoo it out. (some what diluted) currently using John Masters Organics.
ill occasionally break out the conditioner too.

spidermom
August 17th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Whatever works. I need the weight of conditioner, my hair is so floaty and fly-away. I even leave some in, plus I oil my hair before a wash (when I remember) as well.

Fractalsofhair
August 17th, 2009, 04:14 PM
John Master's organics is pretty gentle in terms of cleansers from what I know, so you should be fine. I'd be a teensy bit worried if you were using a clarifying SLS shampoo undiluted, but it sounds pretty damage free.

ademtce
August 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM
i think it works pretty well for me because there are weeks when ill end up washing my hair everyday and the oil helps prevent it from getting really dried out.

chotee
August 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I do it all the time and it really keeps my hair in top condition. Personally i have never liked conditioner so oil was the only option. I go on phases when i use only castor mixed with coconut and sometimes on the herbal ones. But i keep it for atleast a night before i can wash off and sometimes i keep for the whole weekend ie 2 days if i am not going out. I think Olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil are all really very good conditioners and the quality of hair really improves.....

ChloeDharma
August 17th, 2009, 11:57 PM
If this is working for you then i say carry on. personally i couldn't not use a conditioning step as like Spidermom my hair goes far too floaty, although a vinegar rinse and light post wash oiling would probably fix that.

Heidi_234
August 18th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Do you oil before going to bed and wash in the morning?
My hair is VERY dry, and loses moisture easily. I didn't feel conditioner really worked well until I tried to apply it on dry hair, leave for a while (an hour or so) and then wash out. Major difference! But if it works, why break it.

3azza
August 18th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I tried that. Heavy oiling instead of conditioning works for me too. But i only do it occasionally since i can't sleep with my head oiled and wrapped, and i don't always have time to do it during the day.
I like to mix olive with almond and castor if any is available, sometimes with amla oil too. If not i stick to olive oil which is always available in kitchen, and it works great.

ademtce
August 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Do you oil before going to bed and wash in the morning?
My hair is VERY dry, and loses moisture easily. I didn't feel conditioner really worked well until I tried to apply it on dry hair, leave for a while (an hour or so) and then wash out. Major difference! But if it works, why break it.

yea, i put the oil in about 2/3 hrs before i got to sleep and just sleep with it in. (not wrapped up, can't really sleep with it wrapped up) just place towel over your pillows.
then when the morning comes or 12 hrs passes ill wash it out. it seems to work pretty good, mind you its not as much slip as you would get from conditioner but it seems to retain the moisture much longer.