PDA

View Full Version : Calling all gelatin powder users

pdy2kn6
August 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I just got back from the supermarket and they had gelatine in, wahey. They didn't have it last time. I am so excited to start using it. It says ingredients: Beef gelatine. I hope that is the right one/same type you guys use? How much do you use per day? And how exactly do you take it (for those who only take the gelatin powder (not talking about the capsules or the actual jelly/jello cubes)? Can you put the powder in to yoghurt and just mix it in to the yoghurt? It is Dr. Oetker's 'Gelatine', on the packet has a link for www.supercook.co.uk (http://www.supercook.co.uk). Packets come containing 6 sachets. The packet says altogether in 6 sachets = 70g. The sachets look pretty small, and on the hints and tips sections it says:
one sachet sets one pint
ideal for using in sweet and savoury cooking
use for setting souffles, jellys, homemade ice cream, mouses, cheesecakes, terrines, flans and pies.
Always add gelatine to liquid, not the other way around.
Never allow gelatine mixture to boil.

I am taking it in the hopes of thickening up my hair, which I know will take 3 months minimum to see a difference if it does actually work. But I was just wondering how exactly do you gelatine powder users take it, and how much per day? Would it need being dissolved in liquid or would yogurt be okay to mix it in to? Orange squash maybe? I wouldn't want to eat it everyday if it was in something like ice cream or cheesecake or any of their suggestions. Perhaps just mixed in with my morning yogurt? Are there dangers of taking it raw?

TIA guys

RancheroTheBee
August 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
No, you're meant to take it raw. I think most people take 1-2 tablespoons, and putting it in yogurt sounds like a great idea. You wouldn't even really notice it's in there!

SimplyLonghair
August 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I use the capsules now, but have used the powder before and I just added it to water and drank it down. The kind that I used then had added flavor but not sugar so it wasn't too bad. I would just use it in yogurt or some such. Good luck.

pdy2kn6
August 18th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ok I tried a sachet today for the very first time. I added the sachet of gelatin to my yoghurt. I have to admit, I found the texture it made my yoghurt absolutely disgusting lol. It made my yoghurt gritty and really thick, it was getting harder and more like a paste as the minutes went on while I was adding my berries to it. I think I was naive to think that the gelatin may dissolve in yoghurt,lol. It really made me not enjoy my breaky, but I just kept thinking the gelatin benefits will outway one bad breakfast. Have any of you lot tried it with yoghurt? I wouldn't advise it lol. I am planning on adding it to a drink of orange juice tomorrow I think. The amount came to about 1 tablespoon of gelatin. Is that a good amount? The gelatin granules looked abit like sugar, they are the right ones aren't they? They were not sweet, had no flavour at all, but the texture was like sugar granules.

RancheroTheBee
August 18th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Ok I tried a sachet today for the very first time. I added the sachet of gelatin to my yoghurt. I have to admit, I found the texture it made my yoghurt absolutely disgusting lol. It made my yoghurt gritty and really thick, it was getting harder and more like a paste as the minutes went on while I was adding my berries to it. It really made me not enjoy my breaky, but I just kept thinking the gelatin benefits will outway one bad breakfast. Have any of you lot tried it with yoghurt? I wouldn't advise it lol. I am planning on adding it to a drink of orange juice tomorrow I think. The amount came to about 1 tablespoon of gelatin. Is that a good amount? The gelatin granules looked abit like sugar, they are the right ones aren't they? They were not sweet, had no flavour at all, but the texture was like sugar granules.

Haha! Sorry. That is kind of funny, though. :p Maybe orange juice will be better. I'm sorry, I take the capsules, too, so I've never tried it in anything else.

Rapunzal2Be
August 18th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Ok I tried a sachet today for the very first time. I added the sachet of gelatin to my yoghurt. I have to admit, I found the texture it made my yoghurt absolutely disgusting lol. It made my yoghurt gritty and really thick, it was getting harder and more like a paste as the minutes went on while I was adding my berries to it. It really made me not enjoy my breaky, but I just kept thinking the gelatin benefits will outway one bad breakfast. Have any of you lot tried it with yoghurt? I wouldn't advise it lol. I am planning on adding it to a drink of orange juice tomorrow I think. The amount came to about 1 tablespoon of gelatin. Is that a good amount? The gelatin granules looked abit like sugar, they are the right ones aren't they? They were not sweet, had no flavour at all, but the texture was like sugar granules.

Yes, you've got the right kind.

I suggest putting it into a small glass of juice and drinking the whole thing down immediately, then follow up with a glass of water or another glass of juice.

It will thicken in anything as you let it sit, so it is best to take it in one quick swig. :)

pdy2kn6
August 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Haha! Sorry. That is kind of funny, though. :p Maybe orange juice will be better. I'm sorry, I take the capsules, too, so I've never tried it in anything else.

haha don't worry, I have heard that many people do like it in yoghurty type things. I had built up expectations in my own mind about it being a nice texture. I had imagined that even if it didn't dissolve it would be a nice different odd texture in my yoghurt. I'll definately try orange juice tomorrow. It was funny trying to get it down me before it was getting harder and harder haha. I am glad I have got my gelatin regimin started though lol. You live and learn eh :)

pdy2kn6
August 18th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Yes, you've got the right kind.

I suggest putting it into a small glass of juice and drinking the whole thing down immediately, then follow up with a glass of water or another glass of juice.

It will thicken in anything as you let it sit, so it is best to take it in one quick swig. :)

Great idea, it's better to just get it down you as quick as possible, like a shot of vodka, it's only hard for the one minute your trying to get it down your neck lol. I can't wait to try it in orange juice tomorrow. I think thicky orange juice would be funny to try. Thanks or the advice :)

Sammybunny711
August 18th, 2009, 01:49 PM
what does gelatin actually do? I am taking two capsules a day with my other vitamins and I know it is supposed to help but does it speed up growth or does it help with thickening hair?

SimplyViki
August 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Is it not useful if it's prepared as per the directions? I like the texture of Jello, but not the taste... but if I could make it to my own preferences, I'd like it. But it seems a rather useless food, unless I can tell myself it's good for my hair. :D

LaurelSpring
August 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I am using Knox for Nails. It is very easy and doesnt thicken. Otherwise with the regular knox gelatin it helps to heat the juice or water first so it will dissolve and then drink it.

I think it has really helped with my growth and thickness. I have noticed a difference since I have been doing it.

pdy2kn6
August 18th, 2009, 03:37 PM
what does gelatin actually do? I am taking two capsules a day with my other vitamins and I know it is supposed to help but does it speed up growth or does it help with thickening hair?

apparently thickening, fingers crossed it will work :)

pdy2kn6
August 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Update-I was feeling like I had a tight throat earlier on today, it sorta felt like my throat was closing in, which got me worrying perhaps it is because of the gelatin. I was thinking ''oh no perhaps I am allergic'', lol. I think it was more just because of the stress of other things going on in my life though. I'll try again tomorrow with orange juice and then see how if I feel the same later on in the day, I feel fine now so I am sure it wasn't the gelatin. lol

By the way, can anyone tell me...can it be taken with water or orange squash? I haven't got any orange juice in the house. And does the liquid need to be hot/warm or can it just be cold from the tap water. I plan to pour in the gelatin (unflavoured) and just down it really fast.

Sigzephyr
August 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I take the capsules. They are cheap and very easy and convenient. Is there a reason you particularly want to take the powdered gelatin?
These are the ones I take:
http://www.iherb.com/21st-Century-Health-Care-Gelatin-600-mg-100-Capsules/3355?at=0

DragonLady
August 18th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I take a half packet (one teaspoon) in instant chicken or beef broth everyday.

I use a disposable cup, because sometimes it leaves a nasty residue in the bottom that's hard to wash out of a regular mug.

I make sure my water is at a rolling boil. Otherwise, it won't dissolve completely, and I can't stand the texture of it if it's not dissolved. I drink it at a normal pace, just like tea or something. But if you wait too long, it will settle out again and be like thick jelly at the bottom of the cup -best to just throw it out and make up more.

I've been taking it for well over a year, and have noticed a lot of my individual hair strands are nearly twice as big around as they used to be. Your mileage may vary; but it's helped me a great deal.

pdy2kn6
August 19th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I take the capsules. They are cheap and very easy and convenient. Is there a reason you particularly want to take the powdered gelatin?
These are the ones I take:
http://www.iherb.com/21st-Century-Health-Care-Gelatin-600-mg-100-Capsules/3355?at=0

I couldn't find any gelatin vitamins in england, and I didn't want to really add another supplement into my daily supplement routine either lol. Plus I found the gelatin powder (6 sachets per pack) for only 60p in the supermarket :).

pdy2kn6
August 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I've been taking it for well over a year, and have noticed a lot of my individual hair strands are nearly twice as big around as they used to be. Your mileage may vary; but it's helped me a great deal.

Wow, congradulations. I hope I get a similar result. I can't wait to see how/if my hair has changed in a few months time. :)

Monsterkitti
August 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
pdy2kn6 - Im on the same gelatin you are and just started this morning :)

As you suggested I skipped the yoghurt and went straight to warm orange juice. Except the juice cant have been hot enough, Ive just read a rolling boil here so that wont work I guess. Lumps in orange juice arent nice :s

So I dumped the rest into my yoghurt and that went much better even lumpy :) Think I may need to be more careful with my mixing! :)

Im taking half a sachet a day as a start as that works out at about a tablespoon and means less mad mass gelatin shopping trips for me :D

sweet*things
August 19th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I've been taking about half a pouch a day of the Knox, which sounds equivalent to the Oetker brand as one of the Knox packets gels 1 pint also. I've been putting it in about a cup of beef broth which I heat in the microwave until it's about as hot as coffee or tea, then I stir in the gelatin. I tried putting in a whole packet once and it was grainy and gross, so I'd have to up the amount of liquid if I wanted to take the whole thing without it being gummy.

Monsterkitti
August 20th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Tried it in yoghurt this morning and it was alright but pretty gritty. It didnt start making the yoghurt solid though so it was still pretty edible.

Going to go for instant soup tomorrow as it seems like a good way to get it to dissolve properly and stay like that while drinking it.

pdy2kn6
August 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
Tried it in yoghurt this morning and it was alright but pretty gritty. It didnt start making the yoghurt solid though so it was still pretty edible.

Going to go for instant soup tomorrow as it seems like a good way to get it to dissolve properly and stay like that while drinking it.

Yeah, it does get really wierd and gritty in yoghurt I found. I just couldn't hack eating the grittyness of it lol. Soup sounds like a great idea for the gelatin, this way it will dissolve so much more easily and you can enjoy a nice cup of strong soup at the same time. Often when I am having the gelatin in a drink or yoghurt, I am way too aware of the gelatin. If its in a soup I doubt you would even know it is there :)

khyathi
August 22nd, 2009, 06:09 AM
i started taking gelatin since a month and i dont know if its working....but all i do is take a teaspoon full put it in a small cup add some water stir it for not to set off and have it in a gulp...i dont even feel the taste as i put almost 1:4 ratio of gelatin to water...its runny but not too thin...

Monsterkitti
August 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Tried it in soup yesterday as as expected I didnt notice it at all, definatly my favourite way so far :)

RSunny
June 3rd, 2015, 02:44 PM
I take it in tea. There is a kind made by Great Lakes that doesn't thicken and its tasteless!

Smky_Mtn_Echo
June 3rd, 2015, 03:13 PM
I take it in tea. There is a kind made by Great Lakes that doesn't thicken and its tasteless!
This is the same I use. I either take it in my Lemon Ginger tea or make a jello like dessert with the gelatin, water and a splash of juice; let it set and enjoy. I get my children (5 and 7) to take it this way as well.

vpatt
June 3rd, 2015, 03:29 PM
I also use the Great Lakes. You can make bone broth instead...more trouble but less cost. I think it is the same as gelatin. You can check out the Wellness Mama website for information and instructions. Great Lakes makes the kind to make jello with and the one that will dissolve in drinks or food. In the summer I don't mind making the jello with fruit in it.

elfynity
August 14th, 2018, 12:02 PM
I have incorporated Gelatine into my diet again from this week. I used it before about 20 years ago over a 6 month period and my hair grew extremely fast even though I was spending most days swimming in a chlorinated pool and got loads of sun - so it probably would have grown more if I had know better care.

My homeopath said that gelatine is a more difficult protein to digest than it's literally equivalent 'sister', collagen. This 'difficult' in digestion is supposedly also a pro apparantly. Gelatine has so many other health benefits besides just hair, skin and nails. I am excited to see the results from it.

I am not sure yet how much to take, but I am at present taking 1 teaspoon a day. Luckily for me, I have never had a dislike for it's texture and I used to just throw it into my mouth and then down some water or milk. I skip that step now and just throw it into my banana yoghurt mix. I don't even know it is there.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has used gelatine and had good results, or who would like to try it! I am giving myself a year challenge with this one!

nycelle
August 14th, 2018, 12:15 PM
I have incorporated Gelatine into my diet again from this week. I used it before about 20 years ago over a 6 month period and my hair grew extremely fast even though I was spending most days swimming in a chlorinated pool and got loads of sun - so it probably would have grown more if I had know better care.

My homeopath said that gelatine is a more difficult protein to digest than it's literally equivalent 'sister', collagen. This 'difficult' in digestion is supposedly also a pro apparantly. Gelatine has so many other health benefits besides just hair, skin and nails. I am excited to see the results from it.

I am not sure yet how much to take, but I am at present taking 1 teaspoon a day. Luckily for me, I have never had a dislike for it's texture and I used to just throw it into my mouth and then down some water or milk. I skip that step now and just throw it into my banana yoghurt mix. I don't even know it is there.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has used gelatine and had good results, or who would like to try it! I am giving myself a year challenge with this one!

What's the difference between gelatin and protein? Wouldn't eating protein, or drinking a protein shake be the same? I'm just curious.

elfynity
August 14th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Gelatin is collagen that has been cooked. So whatever collagen does for you, gelatin does it too. Gelatin is a protein, but I don't think it is all protein.

lakhesis
August 14th, 2018, 01:22 PM
What's the difference between gelatin and protein? Wouldn't eating protein, or drinking a protein shake be the same? I'm just curious.

I think the general idea is to get collagen from gelatin, not really to increase protein.

I remember reading up on this few years ago when I was also trying to supplement with gelatin. I don't have the articles anymore unfortunately, but I remember giving up on this, as there was no proof that consuming collagen actually increases your production of collagen - however there was some proof with consuming silica.
I also remember that gelatin is considered an incomplete protein, so it ends up not being very nutritious anyway.

nycelle
August 14th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Collagen is a protein. But I understand the gelatin thing as it contains more collagen- it's like bone broth.. well it is I guess.

Either way good luck. I'm not a fan of gelatin because it's generally made with pig bones here unless I get vegetarian, and I don't believe it's the same. But I may try a bone broth and see how it goes.

lapushka
August 14th, 2018, 01:51 PM
You can take powder collagen as well, comes in big tubs just like protein powder and you can drink it in some water / juice or in a smoothie. I know someone who takes it for joint health reasons.