PDA

View Full Version : Gorgeous Hair versus Locks of Love

SupermanSeven
August 17th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Saturday, My friend/love interest (I'll just refer to her as "J") and I were watching Pre-season football at her parents house. J has hair just past BSL and is approaching waist. Her hair is very healthy. I always make an effort to tell her about how beautiful her hair looks long. She has had it very short since I've known her, but she tells me when she was little it was so long she could sit on it. I tell her she should grow it past her butt again. She says she is growing it out for Locks of Love and that is is going to cut it when it is about 3 inches longer. :confused: I try to tell her to reconsider her decision.

While we are sitting down with her parents, her mother comments saying she needs to make an appointment with the hairdresser for a "trim;" even if she is going to grow it out for this "locks of love thing." I commented saying I think J's hair looks very beautiful long.

I think she is on the fence about donating it, and I was wondering if you guys have any input?? It's her hair, and I'll try to be respectful of her decision if she decides to cut it, but it just makes me incredibly sad :(

spidermom
August 17th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Maybe do some research with her? I have heard that Locks of Love discards or sells most of the hair they get. She'd really do more good by saving/donating some money to a good cause, like the local food bank.

SupermanSeven
August 17th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Maybe do some research with her? I have heard that Locks of Love discards or sells most of the hair they get. She'd really do more good by saving/donating some money to a good cause, like the local food bank.

She says wants to make a difference, by making people happy. I haven't done a lot of research myself on Locks of Love. I don't know how I would approach her about it, without coming off "pushy." Thanks for your input :)

halo_tightens
August 17th, 2009, 10:08 AM
DEFINITELY make sure she does plenty of research on Locks of Love before she makes the big chop! I know lots of people who've donated their hair to them, and I also was under the impression for a long time that it was a kind and noble thing to do-- but now that I know the truth, there's no way I'd ever consider it. They toss out donated hair, they sell donated hair... Everyone thinks that all the hair goes to make free wigs for children with cancer, and it's just not true.

If she's aware of the truth and still wants to do it, well, I guess it's her hair and her choice. Just please don't let her do it uninformed!

SupermanSeven
August 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM
DEFINITELY make sure she does plenty of research on Locks of Love before she makes the big chop! I know lots of people who've donated their hair to them, and I also was under the impression for a long time that it was a kind and noble thing to do-- but now that I know the truth, there's no way I'd ever consider it. They toss out donated hair, they sell donated hair... Everyone thinks that all the hair goes to make free wigs for children with cancer, and it's just not true.

If she's aware of the truth and still wants to do it, well, I guess it's her hair and her choice. Just please don't let her do it uninformed!

I know they will want her hair and and say anything to get it because she has never dyed it, and it is a vibrant shade. I just don't want to see her throw it away after making an effort to grow it out for so long. I will tell her to make an informed that decision. Thank You! :)

SimplyViki
August 17th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Maybe you could tell her to look into Pantene Beautiful Lengths as an alternative, if she is determined to donate her hair. As I understand it, Locks of Love hair is mostly used to sell wigs for kids with alopecia, not cancer. Well, the hair that gets used in wigs, anyway.

I've also heard of another organization (the name's not coming to me) that uses hair donations to help clean up oil spills, another honorable cause.

Just take a look around to see what you can find out about Locks of Love. I haven't done all the research on it that some members have, but I know a lot of people have found out about it, and then regret having donated their hair to them, because it wasn't used the way they thought it would be. Or worse, their hair wasn't even usable at all (though your girlfriend's hair probably is usable... but they'll probably sell it, not make a wig and give it to a kid with cancer).

angelthadiva
August 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I can not believe how uniformed people actually ARE about LOL!! I can't count how many times I've been personally approached about donating. Once people see how long it is they automatically ASSume that I'm donating to LOL!

I figure if they are bold enough to mention LOL to me; they have given permission to be schooled. ALL have walked away enlightened and informed. If your friend wants to "donate" to make a difference, (and not that I'm advocating a chop...), but Pantene Great Lengths (http://www.beautifullengths.ca/index_home.php) does wigs for women who ACTUALLY have cancer and the women receive the wigs at no cost to them...Which LOL can't say.

I'd do some research, give her the info and preface it by saying, "I'd hate for you to make an uninformed decision that you might regret later..."

I would feel really duped if I donated to LOL thinking that a kid with cancer would benefit from my generousity...Not realizing that these wigs are sold on a sliding scale based on the parent/guardians income...These wigs sell from $3500-6000k.

angelthadiva
August 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
SV: Great minds think alike! :thumbsup: We cross posted, sorry! :o

Yayasmurf
August 17th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I hope your friend reconsiders. I have read a lot about the program. I won't ever consider it again.

My Locks of Love Story...

My son had long hair when he decided to join the military during war time. He asked me to cut his hair two weeks before he had to report for basic training. He didn't want Uncle Sam doing it. He ask if I would send it to Locks of Love for him. I said yes. Within a year he was in Afghanistan.

He called home one day and I had to make a confession... I told him I had not sent his hair to Locks of Love... I couldn't bare to part with the beautiful hair I had braided many mornings for college. I just couldn't do it! I was worried something would happen to him and I wanted to keep his hair. He laughed and said, "It's ok Mom I never thought you would give it up, I know you too well" LOL!

This is a photo I took the day I cut his hair... and cried the whole time I was cutting it.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp227/coldcases/Hair/s1a.jpg

angelthadiva
August 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Wow, he had gorgeous hair! :) Thanks for keeping it!

Gumball
August 17th, 2009, 10:35 AM
If she is going to donate there are other places out there to donate to who would actually use a good deal of the hair they get. If she's really determined for it to be Locks of Love, then she should know they prefer a monetary donation instead of a hair donation. I've heard Pantene Beautiful Lengths is a place to donate to that would be more likely to both use the hair and use it for a good cause.

SupermanSeven
August 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Maybe you could tell her to look into Pantene Beautiful Lengths as an alternative, if she is determined to donate her hair. As I understand it, Locks of Love hair is mostly used to sell wigs for kids with alopecia, not cancer. Well, the hair that gets used in wigs, anyway.

I've also heard of another organization (the name's not coming to me) that uses hair donations to help clean up oil spills, another honorable cause.

Just take a look around to see what you can find out about Locks of Love. I haven't done all the research on it that some members have, but I know a lot of people have found out about it, and then regret having donated their hair to them, because it wasn't used the way they thought it would be. Or worse, their hair wasn't even usable at all (though your girlfriend's hair probably is usable... but they'll probably sell it, not make a wig and give it to a kid with cancer).

I'll will tell her about the other organizations. I think Locks of Love is the most popular, and people just assume its the best. I would be heart broken if her hair ended up "unusable, or incredibly short." I know she has to donate a minimum of inches. I'm not quite sure what the number is. Thanks for your input :)

SupermanSeven
August 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I can not believe how uniformed people actually ARE about LOL!! I can't count how many times I've been personally approached about donating. Once people see how long it is they automatically ASSume that I'm donating to LOL!

I figure if they are bold enough to mention LOL to me; they have given permission to be schooled. ALL have walked away enlightened and informed. If your friend wants to "donate" to make a difference, (and not that I'm advocating a chop...), but Pantene Great Lengths (http://www.beautifullengths.ca/index_home.php) does wigs for women who ACTUALLY have cancer and the women receive the wigs at no cost to them...Which LOL can't say.

I'd do some research, give her the info and preface it by saying, "I'd hate for you to make an uninformed decision that you might regret later..."

I would feel really duped if I donated to LOL thinking that a kid with cancer would benefit from my generousity...Not realizing that these wigs are sold on a sliding scale based on the parent/guardians income...These wigs sell from $3500-6000k.

6000K for a wig!?! I wish more woman knew the outcome of what happens. I'll try to remember that exact wording. I'm just trying to find the right time to approach her about it. Thank You! I just really hope she doesn't cut it...

angelthadiva
August 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM
6000K for a wig!?! I wish more woman knew the outcome of what happens. I'll try to remember that exact wording. I'm just trying to find the right time to approach her about it. Thank You! I just really hope she doesn't cut it...

I wouldn't waste time, she'll do it w/o the information. :flower: I hope she doesn't cut for this reason, or this organization.

SupermanSeven
August 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I hope your friend reconsiders. I have read a lot about the program. I won't ever consider it again.

My Locks of Love Story...

My son had long hair when he decided to join the military during war time. He asked me to cut his hair two weeks before he had to report for basic training. He didn't want Uncle Sam doing it. He ask if I would send it to Locks of Love for him. I said yes. Within a year he was in Afghanistan.

He called home one day and I had to make a confession... I told him I had not sent his hair to Locks of Love... I couldn't bare to part with the beautiful hair I had braided many mornings for college. I just couldn't do it! I was worried something would happen to him and I wanted to keep his hair. He laughed and said, "It's ok Mom I never thought you would give it up, I know you too well" LOL!

This is a photo I took the day I cut his hair... and cried the whole time I was cutting it.
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp227/coldcases/Hair/s1a.jpg

Thanks for sharing your story :) You're a very caring mother. I hope she reconsiders also. Thank You again!

SimplyViki
August 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
SV: Great minds think alike! :thumbsup: We cross posted, sorry! :o
It's all good, I was hoping someone would come along and validate what I said. :p I just sort of up-chucked what I've learned by osmosis around here, not through intensive research like some people have done.

SupermanSeven
August 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
If she is going to donate there are other places out there to donate to who would actually use a good deal of the hair they get. If she's really determined for it to be Locks of Love, then she should know they prefer a monetary donation instead of a hair donation. I've heard Pantene Beautiful Lengths is a place to donate to that would be more likely to both use the hair and use it for a good cause.

Money rules everything. I will tell her about the other organization. I hope she decides not to cut it. Thanks for your input Gumball :)

Renbirde
August 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
It's called "A Matter of Trust (http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html)."

If you really want to convince your friend not to donate to LoL, there's a thread rolling around somewhere... I think it's called "What's the deal with LoL?" and it includes some math comparing the amount of hair received to the amount of wigs made, among other interesting facts. Some ammunition for you. :)

Carolyn
August 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Ask her if she really wants short hair. If she doesn't, then assure her it's ok NOT to cut it. It's not selfish to grow long hair for yourself. There are so many things a person can do if they are in a giving frame of mind. If she really doesn't want long hair, then help her find an organization to donate it to. If she is hesitating, then urge her to wait. It's ok to change her mind.

SupermanSeven
August 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM
It's called "A Matter of Trust (http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html)."

If you really want to convince your friend not to donate to LoL, there's a thread rolling around somewhere... I think it's called "What's the deal with LoL?" and it includes some math comparing the amount of hair received to the amount of wigs made, among other interesting facts. Some ammunition for you. :)

It always helps when you talk numbers, at least with me anyway :) I will add it to may arsenal. Thank You Renbirde!

SupermanSeven
August 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Ask her if she really wants short hair. If she doesn't, then assure her it's ok NOT to cut it. It's not selfish to grow long hair for yourself. There are so many things a person can do if they are in a giving frame of mind. If she really doesn't want long hair, then help her find an organization to donate it to. If she is hesitating, then urge her to wait. It's ok to change her mind.

Not only do I not want her to cut it, but I would like to see if she's willing to grow it a lot longer. I don't think she likes short hair. I'm just being selfish I guess. Thanks Carolyn :)

saskia_madding
August 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-547.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html?pagewanted=2

Tell her if she wants to help people, try picking a cause and then an organization, and volunteering at least once a week for them. It can often be hard to find out the truth about a charity, and by donating your time, you're still helping A LOT, and it gives you the opportunity to do behind the scenes research on the organization.

For example - I volunteer at the Toronto Humane Society as a kitten bottle feeder. Knowing what I do now, I would never donate money to them. But I do know what supplies they need and I donate that, along with a minimum of 6 hours every Saturday afternoon. That way I'm still helping the animals, but without going through the avenues of trusting the guy who runs THS with my money.

SupermanSeven
August 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-547.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html?pagewanted=2

Tell her if she wants to help people, try picking a cause and then an organization, and volunteering at least once a week for them. It can often be hard to find out the truth about a charity, and by donating your time, you're still helping A LOT, and it gives you the opportunity to do behind the scenes research on the organization.

For example - I volunteer at the Toronto Humane Society as a kitten bottle feeder. Knowing what I do now, I would never donate money to them. But I do know what supplies they need and I donate that, along with a minimum of 6 hours every Saturday afternoon. That way I'm still helping the animals, but without going through the avenus of trusting the guy who runs THS with my money.

Thanks for the links :) I think volunteering once a week is a lot more helpful then donating your hair to a disreputable company who's sole purpose is to make a profit. Kitten Bottle Feeder..Nice :) Have a good one.

JamieLeigh
August 18th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I agree - LOL is very dishonest in their advertising, if people are still imagining little kids with cancer getting a free wig made out of the donated hair. There are NO cancer patients, these are kids with alopecia, which is more easily treatable than cancer. There are NO free wigs for anyone, their families still have to buy them, and they are very costly. (As Angelthadiva pointed out) I came across a woman on this board a few days ago who was pretty adamant about growing out her hair just to donate it, and advised her that if she was ABSOLUTELY unable to resist the temptation to cut, she should at least try to sell it and donate the money to a REAL charity, so that she knows exactly what is going to happen with her donation.

Yayasmurf, thanks for sharing the photo of your son, and your LOL story - I would be sentimental of cutting off all his gorgeous hair too, it looked amazing!

embee
August 18th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Your friend is young. She could sign up as a bone-marrow donor. Now that is Big Stuff, in my opinion. She could keep her lovely hair making both of you happy, and do something most people either will not or cannot do.

http://www.marrow.org/

Both hair and bone-marrow will grow back. Hair and wigs are cosmetic. Bone-marrow is essential and life-saving.

And if anybody gives her any lip about long hair and donating, she can say she's giving bone-marrow instead, that should shut them up! :)

JamieRose
August 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I agree - LOL is very dishonest in their advertising, if people are still imagining little kids with cancer getting a free wig made out of the donated hair. There are NO cancer patients, these are kids with alopecia, which is more easily treatable than cancer. There are NO free wigs for anyone, their families still have to buy them, and they are very costly. (As Angelthadiva pointed out) I came across a woman on this board a few days ago who was pretty adamant about growing out her hair just to donate it, and advised her that if she was ABSOLUTELY unable to resist the temptation to cut, she should at least try to sell it and donate the money to a REAL charity, so that she knows exactly what is going to happen with her donation.

I donated my hip length virgin hair to LOL when I was 12 or so... and now I wish I hadn't. I had no idea about LOL, I thought my donated hair was going to make a free wig for some child cancer patient who needed it. I'm sure your friend will appreciate you keeping them informed, and won't find you pushy at all. :flower:

Fractalsofhair
August 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
JamieLeigh- There is no cure for alopecia, at least for the total kind, or traction related. It's tragic that parents would spend thousands on a wig for a child who simply is balding, when chances are, a cute hat would be fine, or for an older child, an eccentric costume wig! XD It's a harmless medical condition, so the fact people think they should chop off their hair for that, that's a bit silly. I can understand why a child with cancer, going thru pain and suffering, why they may want a wig. However, for a child who is definitely going to live to adulthood, putting that 6k a year(wigs must be replaced yearly) towards a college fund and spending maybe $200 on cheap wigs and hats might be a better option, and really, no child is going to care about wearing a funky wig or hat. So I do agree with you that LOL is a rather... annoying "charity".

angelthadiva
August 18th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Slightly off topic, but to those who are bombarded w/donating to LOL...My favorite response to that is that I'm donating my body and organs after I die (which is true); and I think to help people live a full life is the best gift I could give someone...I figure, I won't be needing them where I'm going anyway! :wannabe: