PDA

View Full Version : I feel like an LHC traitor

Anlbe
August 17th, 2009, 02:25 AM
:rolleyes:

Some wonderful friends of mine are getting married in the difficult circumstance of her family being so vehemently dead set against her choice they're not being told the exact date or place because they probably would turn up and try and stop the wedding. In these circumstances the wedding is being paid for in large part by their friends, and I am lucky enough to be doing the brides flowers, makeup and of course most importantly.... hair.

So the hair style, I feel really guilty, she has the most incredible BSL naturally blonde hair and the natural looking style we're doing involves back combing! a hundred bobby pins! blow drying! hairspray and gel. In all that the silk ribbon to tie the end. It will look lovely but these are things I would never do to my own hair and I feel like a long hair traitor. I wonder if I can find an appropriate penance.....

little_acorn
August 17th, 2009, 02:38 AM
How about a hair shirt - very medieval penance

:rollin: :rollin::cheese:

Elainehali
August 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
penance? lol 10 lashings with my braid!

really it's only ONE day, so her hair will be fine. You can advise her to soak it in conditioner to remove the sprays and back combing.

:happydance:yay for the happy couple though!

Flynn
August 17th, 2009, 02:49 AM
It's a wedding! You abuse your skin with all that makeup, you abuse your feet with those gorgeous shoes, you might abuse your body with a corset, or at least with a bra that's going to squish you into a great, but not entirely natural shape, you abuse your hair with product and rough handling, and you look stunning.

You ain't no traitor. That's what weddings are all about: all those things you wouldn't or couldn't do on a normal day, but would love to. You're just doing what you should do for the bride! XD

Rentlle
August 17th, 2009, 03:15 AM
ow common!!
it's a wedding!!!
a WEDDING!!!
she will do this only once in her life XD
make 'r pretty, and tell her what she has to do with her hair AFTER her wedding to treat it well :)

SimplyLonghair
August 17th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I agree with the other posters, it is a wedding, not a lifestyle. Tell her she should or better yet offer to help her do a deep condition to her hair afterwards. You could think of it as a gift of penance. :silly: :D

Moonstruck
August 17th, 2009, 04:19 AM
It's not like you get to be a bride everyday (unless you're somehow filthy rich AND have tons of boys chasing you AND really just....hate humankind or something to be accepting and dumping like crazy) - it's okay to get a little crazy that day, like everyone else said.
I'm always AMAZED at how resilient the human body is at bouncing back, and I know I've abused my hair its fair share of times. There are tons of swimmers, exercisers, whatevers, on here that have GORGEOUS hair despite all that - they just take a lot of care of their hair. Heck, I toss and turn all night and my hair still loves me come morning. =P

But yeah, give her a nice deep conditioning treatment (maybe do it like a spa day for her) when she's all done. :P

JamieLeigh
August 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
....well, at least now she'll know what NOT to do for her hair in the future. :eek:

Charentais
August 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I'm a newbie, so my assumptions may be off-base.

Couldn't that sort of treatment permanently damage your hair?

Charentais
August 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Sorry, forgot to add:

Couldn't just doing this stuff once damage your hair permanently?

Nightshade
August 17th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Sorry, forgot to add:

Couldn't just doing this stuff once damage your hair permanently?

An overheated hair curler or dryer could. Really, though, barring catastrophic damage, I think the bride will be fine with a little TLC afterwards. Shampooing out all the gunk and then a deep conditioner treatment and she'll be fine, and happy her hair looked good in her pictures.

melrose1985
August 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I'm sure one time will be okay! I bet it will look beautiful too!

Charentais
August 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM
An overheated hair curler or dryer could. Really, though, barring catastrophic damage, I think the bride will be fine with a little TLC afterwards. Shampooing out all the gunk and then a deep conditioner treatment and she'll be fine, and happy her hair looked good in her pictures.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks!

Have fun at the wedding, OP.

ericthegreat
August 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I agree with all the above posters, its her wedding, her special day. If she really does love this style, then who are we to rain on her celebration?

And, speaking as a hairstylist and also a frequent hair salon client as well, I've actually had my own hair teased several times when I wanted to do a special updo style or wanted to add height and volume to my hair. Believe me, your hair is A LOT stronger than you give it credit for, a healthy strand of hair is equal in strength to a strand of iron of the same thickness. Its her wedding day, let her enjoy it the way she wants to enjoy it!:cheese:

spidermom
August 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
You're totally off the hook if she chose the style. Otherwise you must wear shoes that pinch. (haha)

twilight_faerie
August 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I don't think it's such a big deal. It's only one day. Lord only knows what I'll end up doing to my hair for my wedding.

Fractalsofhair
August 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
For a wedding, it's fine. As long as she uses deep treatments after, teasing hasn't caused my hair all that much harm compared to heavy duty blowdrying and a bleach, and I have very delicate hair. Teasing isn't the worst thing you can do to hair(A flat iron that's overheated and 60 volume peroxide(yes, they do make it) would be!) Bleaches and relaxers I think are the most dangerous one time things you can do to your hair, and heat styling once in a GREAT while is fine. (I'd say 1-2x per year for my hair, at the most! Most people could probs do it at least 3-4x per year without a problem) Teasing does kill your hair if you're not careful removing it, so I'd suggest telling her to soak her hair in conditioner. Hair is pretty strong though, and a wedding style isn't going to be the same as her everyday style. Congrats on helping your friend with a difficult situation and wedding.

Little_Bird
August 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Well, the backcombing does seem harsh but you know... taking the risk of sounding like an LHC traitor too (and I'm not, I love hair and it's proper care, and I am always teaching LHC habits to friends :)", it's a wedding, so I think there can be exceptions.

One of the things I've learned over these almost 5 years of growing my hair is that you also have to enjoy it, and you can open exceptions on the hair care sometimes and it won't harm the hair.

If done with care, I'm sure that the backcombing won't be that bad anyways... I wish you good luck :o I guess the important thing is giving your friend what she really wants for this day :)