PDA

View Full Version : another way of making hair shine

jojo
April 15th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I was reading an article today about hair, for a change! and it was saying to make your hair shine, tie a silk or satin scarf around a BBB and go over your hair with it, it said it makes hair shine like glass.

I am going to try this and will get back to you all. Just thought id share this interesting method with you all.

groque
April 15th, 2008, 05:19 PM
oh yeah, let me know.

Jeni
April 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
That's interesting, I'll be interested to know how it works. I have heard that rubbing hair with silk makes it shiny, but then that was in a cheap romance novel, so ya know, I didn't really take it seriously..... Would be great if it works, I have silk scarves I don't do anything with.

Jeni

jojo
April 15th, 2008, 05:37 PM
ive got a ton of scarves too, will try this tomorrow and report back, it also mentioned using ACV to add shine, like tell me something i didnt know!

wishfulthinking
April 15th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Sounds so luxurious- let us know how if works for you.

ChloeDharma
April 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Rubbing silk over the hair to make it shine is one i've heard of quite a few times.....especially in those kind of "olden days" haircare guides.
I've not tried it because i always forget to get some silk.....but i should. I think there was a thread a couple of years ago actually.....so yes, i'd be interested in how it works out for you.

BrianaFineHair
April 15th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Either a stupid question here or I'm just tired. What is a BBB?

LilyMunster
April 15th, 2008, 07:42 PM
boar's bristle brush:)

Lizbot
April 15th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Oh my! This has been added to my to-do list for my next day off. Let us know when you've discovered the results. I'm super curious.

Raederle
April 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM
This picture was taken January 15 of last year, and posted in my hair journal then. The hair on the left was polished with a piece of silk. Don't put any significance in the seeming extra curl on the silked hair.http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fanofpi/P1130146.jpg

ChloeDharma
April 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Wow Raederle! Well that's me convinced.

mommy2one05
April 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM
This picture was taken January 15 of last year, and posted in my hair journal then. The hair on the left was polished with a piece of silk. Don't put any significance in the seeming extra curl on the silked hair.http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fanofpi/P1130146.jpg

wow! that does make a difference in the shine

Lizbot
April 15th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Oh! I like the juxtaposition. Thank you, Raederle!

missy60
April 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I had to come in and look I thought you were going to share one of your secrets with us jojo, because all the pics of your hair show it so shiney. Im not sure if the no touching rule for curly hair applies to using silk or not.

sahiba
April 16th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Cool idea. Got to try it .

hrimfaxi
April 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I wonder why it works...

Raederle
April 16th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I wonder why it works...

Aye, that was my thought afterwards as well. I could not get any helpful information on the process. Is the silk smoothing down the cuticle? Is it removing bits of dirt?

wintersun99
April 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Jeni
April 16th, 2008, 05:47 PM
[quote=Jeni;64840]That's interesting, I'll be interested to know how it works. I have heard that rubbing hair with silk makes it shiny, but then that was in a cheap romance novel, so ya know, I didn't really take it seriously..... Would be great if it works, I have silk scarves I don't do anything with. Jeni/quote]

Don't you know? There is a lot of research and historical value embedded in those (harlequin) romance novels... ;)

But of course! That's why I read them.....:D

jojo
April 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM
it works! but i didnt use the brush couldn't tie it round, so i just wrapped it around my hand and smoothed it over my hair and i used satin not silk, when i get my camera back i will post a picture, im really impressed. It even flattens new growth hair down!

Not sure how it works, maybe by flattening the cuticles down?

Another one i read but im not sure about this one due to the alcohol, but spraying vodka on the hair is supposed to add shine too, im thinking better drinking it as it may dry the hair out!

girlcat36
April 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I sleep on a silk pillowcase and the first night I used it I was absolutely amazed. I woke up with less frizz than I went to bed with!

jojo
April 16th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I had to come in and look I thought you were going to share one of your secrets with us jojo, because all the pics of your hair show it so shiney. Im not sure if the no touching rule for curly hair applies to using silk or not.

aww thank you so much, thats made my day!

jojo
April 16th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I sleep on a silk pillowcase and the first night I used it I was absolutely amazed. I woke up with less frizz than I went to bed with!

same principle i guess, especially if your a tosser, your doing the same thing. I need to get a silk pillow case, did you find that baby hairs are less sticky out?

jojo
April 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM
omg girlcat, i didn't mean your a tosser, i meant if you toss in the night, sorry. I cant edit for some reason, heck im so embarrassed sorry x

Diamondgirl2003
April 16th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Cool I wonder if used with a BBB if the bristles are stiff enough and penetrate the scarf a lil, if it would work better on the length, hmm? Off to fetch that scarf in the bag of clothes going to the willy-willy(<--goodwill)! :)

Diamondgirl2003
April 16th, 2008, 11:01 PM
omg girlcat, i didn't mean your a tosser, i meant if you toss in the night, sorry. I cant edit for some reason, heck im so embarrassed sorry x

HaHa! :D Funny Mistake!

rubyredslippers
April 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Hmmmm, I have a scarf somewhere, I shall have to try this. Now where is it . . .

This is just one more reason to finally get arund to getting that silk pillowcase, eh?:D

mommy2one05
April 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I am going to have to convince my husband that I need a silk pillowcase...if something that simple helps reduce frizz.

Celebrian
April 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM
This is an old trick, and is supposed to remove static, hence increasing smoothness and shine.

I also read that putting your brush in a nylon sock and passing it over the hair does something similar.

Now, where is some silk? Oh I have some old silk jumpers which are tattered! I think I've found a use for them at last 'cos I didn't have the heart to throw silk out!

Wildcate
April 17th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I have lots of silk cloth (and scraps of it) around, but I can't get it over the BBB far enough that the bristles penetrate the silk. Not for lack of trying, mind you... Maybe I'll try again tomorrow - I guess brushing with silk on the brush would help not only with frizz, but also with cleaning the brush afterwards...

girlcat36
April 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Jojo--what's a tosser???? LOL
Yes, the baby hairs lay flatter in the morning.

PatGear
April 17th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Jojo--what's a tosser???? LOLNo Jojo, but here (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tosser)'s the urbandictionary definition.

Moezland
April 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
This definitely sounds like something to try - the silk on a brush - I mean:)! I had no idea what a tosser was either - Thanks Princess Pat:flower:.

Tabitha
April 17th, 2008, 04:13 PM
LOL jojo I laughed when I saw your post as a fellow UKer...

PatGear, I'm familiar with the usage! but clicked on that definition link just to see what it said, and laughed again to see their example: "Tony Blair is a useless tosser" :p

Now if I were clever enough my multiquote attempt would have shown up :mad:

birdiefu
April 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Wow, never heard of that term before- is it a more UK thing? When it was implied that 'tosser' was a negative word, the worst I could think of was a drunk (as in, likes to 'toss them back').

But anyway, I haven't gotten around to trying silk on my hair, though I've heard of it for ages. Now, it is the satin weave that is supposed to accomplish this, or the silk itself? I have some unspun as well as spun (as in, yarn) silk too- wonder if it would do anything.

girlcat36
April 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Oh....My....God!!! :agape: :blushing:

jojo
April 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Jojo--what's a tosser???? LOL
Yes, the baby hairs lay flatter in the morning.
I will im you with that one, this is a family board afterall!!;)

Riot Crrl
April 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Yes it's UK :)

-usian who knows way too much ukian slang

heidi w.
April 17th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I am going to have to convince my husband that I need a silk pillowcase...if something that simple helps reduce frizz.

They aren't that expensive. You will likely get similar results from sateen or anything that is smooth surface.

Flannel, particularly, has texture to it and definitely causes problems. Newer cotton pillowcases can do likewise. I sleep either on a satin pillowcase or a very old, very well used cotton pillowcase.

Of course, I have a different hair type than you. My hair type is stick straight and very fine and not prone to frizz.

heidi w.

jojo
April 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM
No Jojo, but here (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tosser)'s the urbandictionary definition.
oh my they have a definition for that? oh how embarrassing:o

heidi w.
April 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
A BBB is a Boar Bristle Brush, and a BBB is intended for polishing the hair, that is produce shine. It is not intended to detangle hair. I will have to try this out at home because I'm not really clear the benefit of the silk over the brush. Why not just BBB and then silk: why together?? ... hmmm.

Skeptic me.

I guess I'll have to try it.

BBBing can produce fullness and for many wave-curl body types of hair, this can produce frizz and flyaway. (Even I get the flyaway for a moment.)

But just downstroke with the palm of the hand around the hair, encircling the hair, and the fullness diminishes.

BBBing isn't for everyone. Most think a BBB is for detangling.

Think of it like this. You have a nice piece of furniture, wood. (hair) You use a cloth to dust it off or something (detangle). Then you come along and polish, likely with an agent (oil on hair, and use a BBB to work it in.)

The oil part goes a long way. A little bit is all that's needed (oil).

Brief, brief statement here as I have a mtg to go to.

heidi w.

jojo
April 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Wow, never heard of that term before- is it a more UK thing? When it was implied that 'tosser' was a negative word, the worst I could think of was a drunk (as in, likes to 'toss them back').

But anyway, I haven't gotten around to trying silk on my hair, though I've heard of it for ages. Now, it is the satin weave that is supposed to accomplish this, or the silk itself? I have some unspun as well as spun (as in, yarn) silk too- wonder if it would do anything.

oh my out of the mouths of babes! ahem change of subject needed:o

jojo
April 17th, 2008, 04:42 PM
A BBB is a Boar Bristle Brush, and a BBB is intended for polishing the hair, that is produce shine. It is not intended to detangle hair. I will have to try this out at home because I'm not really clear the benefit of the silk over the brush. Why not just BBB and then silk: why together?? ... hmmm.

Skeptic me.

I guess I'll have to try it.

BBBing can produce fullness and for many wave-curl body types of hair, this can produce frizz and flyaway. (Even I get the flyaway for a moment.)

But just downstroke with the palm of the hand around the hair, encircling the hair, and the fullness diminishes.

BBBing isn't for everyone. Most think a BBB is for detangling.

Think of it like this. You have a nice piece of furniture, wood. (hair) You use a cloth to dust it off or something (detangle). Then you come along and polish, likely with an agent (oil on hair, and use a BBB to work it in.)

The oil part goes a long way. A little bit is all that's needed (oil).

Brief, brief statement here as I have a mtg to go to.

heidi w.

you have such a good way of explaining things Heidi, I totally agree with what you have stated and it makes perfect sense. My hair is prone to frizz and BBB make my frizz worse. Its finding a happy medium which works for the individual i suppose. x

Jeni
April 17th, 2008, 04:44 PM
*Off Topic* Hee, I love british words, I feel they liven up any conversation. Especially if you live in a place where no one seems sure whether you calling them a tosser or a ****** is a good thing or not....

I'm going to have to try the silk thing I think. I haven't even gotten a silk pillow case yet....

blackfrostqueen
April 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I so am going to have to try the silk, my only problem is where to find a piece of silk I can use on my hair. For I bet after a few times the fabric will become oily.

cuddledumplin
April 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM
That was quite a funny mistake, jojo. I think I'll give it a try too.

Druid of Alba
April 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Thank you! I will be sure to pick up some silk from my local fabric store on the weekend! Is there a certain type of silk that works better? And for those of you who use a silk pillowcase, do you find that it is comfortable, or is it really slippery, and really cold in the winter? Thank you, again!

Hayat
April 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
This sound really interesting...

I do have some pure and untreated silk yarn. I wonder how it would be like to just knit a glove or mitton, and use this to stroke the hair?

When it comes to silk pillow cases, what kind of silk do you use? There are so many types of silk - chinese, japanese, thai, synthetic etc.

And what really is the difference between silk and satin? I know I learned this some time ago back in school, but I can't remember.

Wildcate
April 28th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Silk is the material (coccoon thread from a special moth), satin is a type of weave that looks very glossy and lends itself well to draping.

Mely
April 29th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Doesn't it cause static and fly-aways?

Raederle
April 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Silk certainly doesn't cause fly-aways for me. I've used a silk pillowcase almost since I joined here. It is pretty temperature neutral for me. As far as the silk for pillowcases, most of my pillowcases are made from Goodwill blouses or slips, just seamed into cases. I go for the smoothest silk, not the nubby type.

CLCNY20
April 29th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I have a good (maybe silly) question...is there a difference between a polyester scarf and a silk scarf when it comes to hair? If so, is it a HUGE difference?

KajiKodomo
April 29th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I suppose that would depend on the smoothness of the polyester. If it's a satiny type of polyester, then it shouldn't be too bad for your hair. I think silk is much better than satin, but that the difference is very small.

By the way, your siggy picture is gorgeous!

CLCNY20
April 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks! Ok, because the hair store that I went to had them all on this rack, and I just picked up this really pretty bright pink one, and it wasn't until I got home that I saw the 100&#37; polyester tag on it, and went "d'oh!"

And thanks for the compliment =) That's really sweet of you!

domonic_uk
April 29th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I've always found an extra drop of conditioner does the trick usual when coming to the end of the bottle. Even got a compliment with the person who has the most natural shiny hair once.

forgetmenotak
April 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I have used satin pillow cases for the past several years.... Even before I became a member here. It does a nice job of decreasing frizziness. I don't think that it is a problem that it is polyester, I tried rubbing my hair with a smooth satin (polyester) scarf, and I could tell a difference! And the weird thing is that my hair felt "cool" and silky to the touch. The only other time that I have had that happen is when I would use the cool setting on my ex- hair fryer. I think that it made a difference because I lived in Alaska at the time, and it seemed that the water was softer there. But anyways I give gliding silk over hair a thumbs up!