PDA

View Full Version : wiry, stiff ends.

Heavenly Locks
August 16th, 2009, 08:54 PM
The last inch or two of my hair is feeling really strange. It's wiry and sort of stiff feeling. I am thinking this is what others on the LHC call 'crunchy' hair.

I am a CO washer with no clarifying. Is my hair telling me it wants me to clarify the ends? Or does it want more of something else. I use mostly cone free suave for my CO washes and coconut oil a couple times a week.

Can I just use a regular SLS shampoo on just the ends? How do I make sure they don't get too dry?

:hmm:

Speckla
August 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I usually need a trim when the ends feel stiff or wiry. It's due to all the different lengths or damage..for me that is. You could have a bit too much product or conditioner on them. It wouldn't hurt to shampoo just the ends and then coat them in a moisturizing conditioner.

GlassEyes
August 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'd try clarifying. When was the last time you did? o-o;;

If that doesn't work, I'd do an SMT, or some form of deep treatment that works for you, and if all else fails, a small trim.

Also, since I'm assuming you're cone-free, you can use a non-SLS cleanser to clarify--like baking soda...but did you clarify before starting CO? If not, I'm fairly certain it's build-up. CO and coconut oil can build up too, but if you didn't clarify before starting CO, cone build up is a likely culprit.

plainjanegirl
August 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I would try clarifying first.

Also which suave are you using? Not sure about all of them but I know the suave coconut has protein and then you mentioned using coconut oil which prevents protein loss....so maybe you have some protein overload. just an idea.

manderly
August 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Just clarify with a regular shampoo and follow with a conditioner. You probably just have mild buildup that can be easily fixed by busting out the old shampoo :)

FallenAngel
August 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I'm a COer and that happened to me as well. I clarified, whick seems to have solved the problem.

I think I need to do that maybe once every 4-6 weeks. I henna with Lush henna, use coconut oil and use (hair friendly) products to bring out my curls/waves. I guess build-up happens. :D

aisling
August 17th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I can just agree with the others, clarifying should take care of your problem. The "normal" SLS shampoo sounds good, wash from root to tip with that and then follow up with a nice treatment, that should make the ends happy. I also prefer to use a SLS shampoo myself, not baking soda as sometimes suggested.

When I CO:ed regularly, I had to clarify around every 4 weeks, despite being on a cone free routine. My hair seems to be prone to build up and all kind of oils and moisturising agents seems to get stuck to my ends.

Rentlle
August 17th, 2009, 03:13 AM
try deep treatment and lots of co in de ends.
BUT first clearifying :)