PDA

View Full Version : Frequency of oiling

wishfulthinking
April 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I did a coconut oiling last week. My hair was so soft afterward. Now it is a little dry again. How often can one do a coconut oil deep treatment? Could I do it more than once a week?

jojo
April 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM
yes of course. I do just one at the moment but I have in the past done up to 3 a week. go for it, it wont do any harm, only good.

mommy2one05
April 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I did a coconut oiling last week. My hair was so soft afterward. Now it is a little dry again. How often can one do a coconut oil deep treatment? Could I do it more than once a week?

how did you do your coconut oil treatment? I am gonna look for coconut oil when I go to the store this week.

wishfulthinking
April 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I scooped out about two tablespooons of the coconut oil into a disk, warmed it up by putting the dish in warm water, and applied it in sections on my hair. After it was applied, I put a shower cap on top and let in sink in for about 1 hour. I rinsed then used Avalon Organics lemon shampoo to wash it out and conditioned with Giovanni 50/50 conditioner. My hair airdryed with NO FRIZZ!:)

wishfulthinking
April 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I wanted to add that I used organic refined coconut oil. It smells like a mounds bar- yummy.

ChloeDharma
April 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM
There are times i leave my hair soaking in coconut oil for even longer than a week, heavily applied, topped up to keep it smothered a couple of times a day and constantly in a bun. So yeah, go ahead......oil as frequently as you feel you want to :)

spidermom
April 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM
You can do an oil treatment every time you wash your hair if you like. I apply oil after washing while my hair is still damp and a little more every evening when I comb it out and braid or bun for bed. By the time my scalp gets really oily, my length is too. Then I CWC with diluted shampoo and start all over again.

walkinglady
April 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
You won't damage your hair by oiling frequently. I always heavily oil the very ends of my hair before I shampoo. I also oil lightly almost every day.

Lizbot
April 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I try to oil a bit for about an hour before I wash and conditioner my hair. That varies by either two or three times a week.

It is nice though, isn't it? Don't be afraid to do it too often, but do remain attentive to what's going on. Only you'll know what's best for you and your hair. ;)

mommy2one05
April 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I scooped out about two tablespooons of the coconut oil into a disk, warmed it up by putting the dish in warm water, and applied it in sections on my hair. After it was applied, I put a shower cap on top and let in sink in for about 1 hour. I rinsed then used Avalon Organics lemon shampoo to wash it out and conditioned with Giovanni 50/50 conditioner. My hair airdryed with NO FRIZZ!:)

No FRIZZ??!! I will have to try it, but first I gotta lookat my local walmart and see if I can find any coconut oil.
Would castor oil or evoo do the same thing with the frizz?

missy60
April 15th, 2008, 09:03 PM
EVOO is great for frizz it just seems harder to wash out then coconut oil. I have to go lighter with it, but coconut oil I can apply as much as I want for a heavy treatment and it comes out easy. I would try it in no way will it harm your hair the only thing is it might still be a little oily if you dont get it all out.

Legend
April 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I rub a little coconut oil into my ends about twice a week (when I wash my hair) and leave it in. I use about 2 quarter-sized pools and work it in before pulling my hair up.

CaityBear
April 15th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I do a light brush down with oil at least 4-5 times a week. And I'm trying to do a hot oil treatment for my whole head once a week...only on weekends though. Or else I might not wake up early enough to wash my hair in the morning before school (it's happened before!)

Faepirate
April 16th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I oil pretty much every day. It doesn'y hurt. Do it as often as you feel your hair needs it I suppose! :)

Sillage
April 16th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Mommy2one05, I used castor oil in my hair before and while it is super heavy, I haven't had a problem shampooing it out. It helped with the frizz, and made my hair softer and more pliant feeling-- more so than evoo (which is great for shampoo out oilings too, but not as heavy duty as the castor oil!).