PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for supportive spouses!

DecafJane
April 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I just thought I would add a thread about how nice and supportive (and amusing) my DH has been.
He turns a blind eye or doesn't comment about the toys accumulating in the bathroom.
When a character in a movie chops off their lovely long hair into a shorter, funky cut, (if I don't do it first) he comments about how they looked better beforehand.
He has a picture of me with LONG hair as the background on his personal laptop.
He gives me a scalp massage nearly every night.
He tries to get people to point out or notice how fast my hair is growing, even though they see me every day and my hair is always up and tucked away. :D
He has picked up a lot of this from me, but it is still nice. :)

What do your friends/spouses/families do that is nice and supportive of your hair growth? :)

jojo
April 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM
ah what a thoughtful hubby you have. My hubby measures my hair and takes pictures of it for me sometimes, all i need to do is train him to give me head massages!

DecafJane
April 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Tell him it will make your hair grow faster. ;)

DolphinPrincess
April 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
~Pouts~ You're so lucky, all my SO does is says "Now what are you putting in your hair?" He just doesn't understand what the big deal is. :shrug: Oh well, gotta love 'em.

Eireann
April 15th, 2008, 05:12 PM
My DH looooves the idea of my having long hair. I initially had the goal of tailbone length, but when I mentioned the idea of knee length, his face lit up! I told him he'll have to help me wash it, and he was very enthusiastic. Also, my hairstylist's wife has very long (hip-length) hair, so he (my stylist) is very supportive of my goal. It's nice to be able to go in for a trim without worrying that I will come away with a chin-length bob!

Kelpie
April 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM
My DBF also measures my hair and takes pictures for me. He does laugh at me for the length of time I spend on my hair but still says it looks good so that's ok.

AlleyKitten
April 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
My boyfriend takes pictures for me, and has offered to trim it (after a particularly horrific trim where I lost almost three inches, he said he's only take off a quarter inch because he wanted to see my braid get down to my tailbone). Whenever I have it down to comb it out he comments about how pretty and long it is, and makes wistful noises about my leaving it down more. He doesn't complain about it, even when it gets in his face in the night or, ahem, during activities. He even helps me put it up in showercaps for deep treatments when my hands are messy, and brings me conditioner from my big stash of VO5 when I run out mid-CO.

All in all, I think I have the perfect boyfriend :D

TheHuman
April 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
How did you train him to give scalp massages? I'm lucky if I get a back scratch.

zift
April 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Wow he does scalp messages every night!:rockerdud
My BF is very supportive too. When he makes compliments about my hair and strokes it softly making me sleepy like a cat.And he does my trimming and measuring. And also he's the main factor that helped me get rid of my cutting urges. He gets even more supportive every day,I love him so much.:cloud9:
ETA:: Haha it comes to my mind that he's even starting to learn haircare. Like on windy days he says that I should put it up to protect it from tangles. And sometimes when I say it feels dry he suggests I might put some of the oils of mine on my head.:lol: He's so cute:D

DecafJane
April 15th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Wow, your partners sound so nice and supportive. :)

I usually get him to massage my scalp (or give me a shoulder rub) when we are watching TV after dinner - I sit on the floor on a cushion and he sits on the couch. It has become part of our routine. :cheese:

squiggyflop
April 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
my family consists of me and my dad... dad doesnt really say anything about the length but hes very happy with me useing henna on my hair... we were driving down the street on the way to the fabric store (i didnt feel like driving that far) and we past the indian variety store that i buy my henna from.. dad knows that a quarter of our freezer is full of henna and he still offered to buy me more as we passed by... he says its the perfect color for me and the perfect way to take care of my hair... he actually called hennaing my hair "taking care of it"... i love my dad he is awesome.

BrianaFineHair
April 15th, 2008, 07:02 PM
My husband tells me:

"It does not matter to me if your hair is short or if your hair is long, because I do not love you FOR your hair...I just love YOU." :)

and that just means the world to me.

Euphony
April 15th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Awwww everyone's SO's sound so wonderful!

My husband measures my hair, helps me henna it, he loves to stroke it, takes pictures of it and no longer teases me about oiling it. He used to tease me all the time, now he can tell when it needs a heavy oiling and asks me if I'm going to do it soon :grin:

ladystar
April 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM
My Bf Likes long hair but often says what are you doing now??? Then he said the longer it gets the worse it gets huh
lol

Kunzang
April 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
My hubby loves to brush my hair and enjoys when I try a new style - he gives me honest feedback!

Poolsoflaughter
April 15th, 2008, 07:52 PM
My DH initially put down my "growing obsession", but for the past few months, I haven't mentioned it, and he doesn't get fussy, so I'm happy with that I guess.:rolleyes:

Martina
April 15th, 2008, 08:43 PM
My DH compliments my hair almost daily; He measures it, and has even given me a microtrim.
When we're sitting next to each other in church, he frequently will touch it when he has his arm around me :D. He really, really loves long hair. I just wish I had had access to the LHC years ago.

helynhighwater
April 15th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I'm single, but my best friend has forbidden me to cut my hair and father has taken to making me hairsticks now that he's gotten into woodworking.

Gylfi
April 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Single as well, but my mother's very supportive, even though it's not really a topic that comes up a lot. She'll braid it a lot (and wanted to try a herringbone on it last week!) and she's said a few times that she is glad that I grew my hair out. Which is a nice compliment because I never intended to grow my hair out - it's just something that happened :p

willowcandra
April 16th, 2008, 12:37 AM
well it's been seven years since I started going and started posting in forums so dh has had time to get used to it. He has finally agreed to buy me hair sticks for my birthday.

He used to make comments but I think he understands me better now and he knows I look after all my toys and my hair so it's worth the money spent. My entire toy collection is worth about $450 compare that to his computer obsession (my dh has four computers and four games consuls) and it's nothing really and I don't have to upgrade my sticks every four months.

DecafJane
April 16th, 2008, 12:40 AM
That is so true! I doubt I will EVER buy a hairtoy that costs as much as one of DH's computer games. (Approximately $100 here in Australia.) :)

Nevermore
April 16th, 2008, 01:06 AM
My girlfriend, Simone, loves my hair and loves my hair goals. She thinks that floorlength hair is beautiful and that it's really cool I want hair that long. She also loves every color I talk about making my hair and has heard me go on and on about henna and said that she'd help me with it. Simone's also said she'll help me S&D/other maintance and braid my hair once I teach her how.

I adore her. She's like this about everything and I do my best to be the same way for her.

China Cat Sunflower
April 18th, 2008, 08:40 AM
My DH looooves the idea of my having long hair. I initially had the goal of tailbone length, but when I mentioned the idea of knee length, his face lit up! I told him he'll have to help me wash it, and he was very enthusiastic. Also, my hairstylist's wife has very long (hip-length) hair, so he (my stylist) is very supportive of my goal. It's nice to be able to go in for a trim without worrying that I will come away with a chin-length bob!

Welcome and good luck growing your hair :)

lora410
April 18th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Mine take the picts and when I get flustered my hair won't go just right he always says honey you hair always looks good no matter what.

vindo
April 18th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Ok my husband is not all into it but he picks up some things..;)

-He is understanding when I wear it up a lot since its for protection and knows that "hair down" moments are especially for him.
-He listens to my endless talking about hair.
-He keeps passing out advice about hair to strangers that dont even want to hear it (neighbours wife) :lol: while pointing me out as a good example.
-He always tells people I know so much about hair.
-About my chemical hair dye past: "I didnt want you to dye it in the first place." (thats not true he didnt know I did ;))

Thats all I can think of for now..

Patrycja
April 18th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Great thread!

Mine has stopped giving me the "she's gone off the deep end"look when I ask him to take pictures of my length and do's.

He doesn't complain when I put on stinky hair recipes and stinky Tea Tree EO

He doesn't say much when I buy new cheaper conditioners(last count...I have 7 in the shower....)

He understands completely when I explain about going to the Earth Fare store to get organic haircare stuff.

He has taken to playing with my hair again.He hasn't done that since we first started dating.

I really should appreciate him more for this but...he hates it when I dye my hair.Just doesn't seem to understand it.I've been explaining henna to him here and there and he seems much better with that idea.He does like the color that I changed to recently though :love:

oh-eta-he listens to me when I rattle on and on about EO's.I respect that he's not crazy about Lavender(I use it when he's not around) but I know he loves the smell of White Grapefruit(which can stimulate hair growth,and I use that when I know he's going to be close to me *wink wink*)

Mishka_84
April 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Wow, some of y'all are very lucky!!!

My DH is "tolerant" of my hair obsession. He doesn't like it short, but now that it's not "short" he doesn't seem to have much of an opinion. He will offer his opinion about new hairstyles I'm trying to learn, giving advice like "you're twisting it too loosely, it'll fall out after an hour like that" ; and he makes sure my pins and sticks are put safely away in my makeup bag ( to make sure the cat doesn't hide them from me). If I let him get a shower with me he'll wash and condition my hair for me, and when I put coconut oil in my hair he asks for it too. :) He did offer to trim it for me, but I think he'll take too much off ( he wants it to all be the same length ). I might let him pay to get it trimmed, though :).

jessie58
April 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
My DH and all 4 kids are now very supportive of my hair "habit". DH has always measured for me, he loves the smell of my scalp oil and my mister and always smells my hair. My 4 children and DH have been trained how to take proper hair pictures, but my son still rolls his eyeballs and sighs when I ask him to take a pic. I try to make him the last resort but sometimes he's the only one around.

DH has gone WO and uses my scalp oil. He knows the names of a lot of my hairtoys. He looks for special hairtoys when he is away and brings me home hair related presents.
Two of my daughters will touch up my roots for me and my oldest daughter does micotrims for me.
DH simply loves my hair the longer it gets and always comments on it.

rosieposie
April 18th, 2008, 12:35 PM
he buys me georgeous hair accessories (60th street, quattro, etc)
listens to my constant hair "rants".
doesnt complain when im lurking in LHC when im supposed to be making the dinner
.....but the best one so far?.....he allowed me to rub miconazole nitrate on his thinning spot before i put it on my own scalp, just so we could be sure of no ill effects (its working for him anyway).

Cricket
April 18th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I didn't realize how much I missed having my hair brushed by someone else until DH offered one night. He also helps me make sure my trims/buns/twists/etc are even and neat. He is also one of the few locals that will give me an honest opinion about a particular hairstyle.

He's very understanding (and sometimes amused) of the whole thing. I think at times he may be a little jealous or nostalgic because he used to have long hair and had to cut it to comply with uniform standards for a new job.

j4zzin
April 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Aww... my boyfriend loves my hair. He strokes it and tells me how soft and pretty it is. He likes 'natural beauties' because he doesn't like it when I wear makeup (which is fine because I don't like it either) or nail polish. But I had a chin-length bob when we first started dating, so it's good to know that he loves me for more than my hair. ;)

He likes to detangle/brush it for me, give me scalp massages when we're being cuddly, and he'll stroke it and run his fingers through it when we watch TV (since I wear it down loose or in a ponytail a lot around the house). Sometimes I'll just curl up with my head in his lap and ask him to pet me. <3

Also, my boyfriend would like to mention on his behalf that our SOs are wonderful to us and to not forget that they like to have their scalp massaged and have us play with their hair too, even if it's only an inch long!

pepperedmoth
April 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I've always known my DBF loves long hair on women, but I never really probed much deeper. After seeing this thread, we had this conversation:

Me: How long would be TOO long?
DBF: . . . if it covered your butt . . .

Men! Now I know what he likes even more than long hair.

AJoifulNoise
April 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Everytime my best friend sees me with my hair down (or mostly down) she pokes the part of my back where the length ends. And we both celebrate. :D