PDA

View Full Version : Oily hair- please help

Yedda
August 16th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hi everyone,

Lately my hair has been so oily, I can't stand it. I shampoo and condition once or twice a week, switching different shampoos/conditioners(sometimes cone, cone-free, silicones, silicone-free.) This is all I do, I don't oil my hair.

It has been looking stringy to me too.

I naturally have thin hair so it always has been able to get oily quicker than thicker hair, but never has been oily like this. The thing is, even the same day of a wash, it still looks oily. Before, maybe if I didn't wash it for days it would get oily, now it is oily the same day!

Please help!

Do I need to wash more often? Not condition at all? Use certain type of shampoo/conditioner? Something else?

Thanks in advance.:)

spidermom
August 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Try putting the conditioner on the ends of your hair, then shampooing the scalp, rinse well. Don't condition again.

rexy
August 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
AVC rise has helped me control my oil. Maybe if you stopped washing for a few days, even though it is oily it would tell your hair it doesn't need to produce as much. I had to train mine like that.

Medievalmaniac
August 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
If you are naturally producing that much oil, you might not need to condition at all, or only once a week. It could be product build up or a hormone surge, also...? Try shampooing with a clarifying shampoo instead of regular, and no conditioner, for about two weeks and see if you notice a difference.

missfortune9335
August 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
good suggestions on things to try, and in the mean time if something you tried didn't pan out and you have to go to work, put some baby powder in your hair (I found some made only of cornstarch and aloe, and I know there are some home made recipes on this site) brush it out and then put it up. at least then you don't have to look like a greaseball all day and you can try a different plan when you get home. good luck!

Yedda
August 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.:) I am going to try these ideas, and if I'm still oily, you'll hear from me again:)

Darkhorse1
August 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I always have an oily scalp and found washing it upside down under a faucet works much better than in the shower. I use a clarifying shampoo and just condition the lenght (though I have been doing the hair near the scalp).

You have to find a balance for shampoo use--also, are you eating a high diet of oils? Fatty foods? Do you smoke? All of those things I found caused my scalp to be oilier(my parents both smoked and I found my hair was WAY better when there was no smoke in the house)

Yedda
August 19th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Well I used a clarifying shampoo without conditioner, and I'm looking a lot better. I think I will start using conditioner on the ends only, and experiment with shampoos a little.

Thanks everyone.

I read only conditioning the ends before but when my hair looked it's best I used to condition all of it, including my scalp. I guess times have changed!

willowcandra
August 20th, 2009, 01:39 AM
What worked the absolute best for me was to switch my water to just warm. The hotter it is the greasier I get. That one small thing gave me an extra couple of days of grease free.

rinse shampoo really well and condition from the ears down.

OhioLisa
August 20th, 2009, 11:38 PM
My hair gets oily REALLY quickly if I use shampoos with strong sulfates or conditioners with cones, so my only suggestion would be to eliminate either of those first. I really wouldn't recommend completely going without conditioner of some sort, but perhaps something lighter and cone-free. :)