PDA

View Full Version : Levels of cones

plainjanegirl
August 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I thought if we could compile something like this it might be helpful to us cone lovers. How do you determine what conditioners, etc. are the coniest? Does it go by how high the cone is listed on the ingredient list? So why not list specific products you use or have used and put them in order from coniest to least coney (and add any special notes like if it built up extremely fast, etc.). Then if this goes well we can make one big list. Hope this will be helpful.

redneckprincess
August 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I dont have an answer for you but I would like to give you a bump because I would like to hear the answer for this also

RancheroTheBee
August 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Here are the two coney conditioners I have:

John Freida Root Awakening: Dimethicone is sixth on the list. The buildup process actually takes a while, but then washing them out does take a while, as well.

L'Oreal Vive Pro Hydra Gloss for Dry Hair: Amodimethicone is fifth on the list. Extremely coney, actually. I've never dared use it more than once a month since it's so heavy, but it's a great conditioner. L'Oreal tends to have some pretty coney conditioners.

Other conditioners I feel are pretty coney are Herbal Essences (esp. the one for long hair and the one for breakage) and Pantene. They both give me some massive buildup pretty quickly, especially the Herbal Essences Long Hair SHAMPOO, which also inexplicably has cones in it.

Renbirde
August 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Are you sorting by where cones come in the ingredients only? Or are you classifying by the behaviour of the cones as well? If so... This (http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/01/23/what-silicones-do-for-your-hair/)is an offsite list of different cones and their properties. And here's (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53479)one from the archives. Might they be helpful?

demitasse
August 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I'm definitely not that scientific about it. Here's how I determine whether or not a coney conditioner works: I try it on my hair. If my hair looks good, it's a keeper. If it looks bad, I pass it off to the SO and let him finish it off. SO has used all manner of products. :)

Right now I'm using Garnier's Sleek & Shine shampoo & conditioner. Amodimethicone is listed fourth in the conditioner's ingredients (shampoo's too). I have no idea what this means except that it tames my hair's wildness and doesn't cause buildup.

Buddaphlyy
August 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I get what you're trying to do, but I don't think it would be all that helpful. There are so many variables. Different cones work differently for different hair types, regardless of where they appear on the list. For example, Ranchero gets buildup from the Herbal Essences LTR shampoo, while this is a staple shampoo for me because it DOESN"T buildup on my hair.

Also, the same cone can work differently on the same head depending on where they are on different product's ingredient. For example, I was using two different conditioners (don't remember what their names are, sorry) for co washing. Both had the same cone but one had it as like the 4th ingredient and the other had it listed 5th from the bottom. The product that had it listed lower built up on my hair quicker.

Rentlle
August 17th, 2009, 03:30 AM
yeah, were it is on the list :)
I have a shampoo were it is second!!!
my hair loves it :)