PDA

View Full Version : Shear Genuis - NO CUT Tv challenge for hair dressers

Susana
August 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hey Guys!!

I remember reading a thread where some one mentioned a hairdresser competition show in which one of the episodes consisted of a challenge in which the hairdressers had clients with long hair but could NOT cut it. I found it online the other day (no need to download to watch) and thought some of you guys might be curious as to what that episode was so here is the link. :)

http://www.bigvidpro.com/?v=REqcwhYC9kemIc5ldsdi9A (IF when you click a blank page opens, hit "refresh" and it should reload well)

I am adding another link - this one is about a green stylist that comes on the show and the challenge is to not use any conventional hair products - only natural products- to style hair. You might find it....interesting....

http://www.bigvidpro.com/?v=k88eRT7WSEwPk24kIK6BXQ

This is the link to all the episodes if you are interested:
http://tv.blinkx.com/show/shear-genius/kHFwWY2ZCUleDL5x#s2e2

*to watch you must click on the episode and then "via megavideo.com" (the link)*

P.S. When you click on play, generally it opens up an extra page or ad thing (generally the page title is "Free Full HD Tube", ignore it, just close it and click on the original page titled "Shear Genius: Red Carpet Worthy" and click play again)

Summary in case there is something you really would not want to see (DO NOT READ if you prefer surprises)

Episode 1 - Challenge 1- Stylist have to cut clients' hair with blinders on so they can't see.
- Challenge 2 - is to replicate famous styles on their clients with a modern twist.

Episode 2 - Challenge 1 - To take clients' hair from long to short - giving them a flirty/sexy style (this hair is not necessarily "long" by LHC average - is more about short cuts)
- Challenge 2 - Give hair make over to tv personalities from a reality tv show.

Episode 3 - Challenge 1 - Create a style that is interesting and structurally complicated using at least one accessory (this is the long hair - no cutting challenge)
- Challenge 2 - Red Carpet hair styles.

Episode 4 - Challenge 1- Work with another stylist's client after they had already began a style.
- Challenge 2 - Give the clients a style that they must be able to replicate it on their own.

Episode 5 - Challenge 1 - Surfers' hair cut challenge (male hair cut)
- Challenge 2 - To create a WIG hairstyle for clients who do not have hair due to alopecia.

Episode 6 - Challenge 1 - Radical, rainbow color - hair color challenge.
- Challenge 2 - Stylists have to work together to replicate with a modern twist iconic hairstyles.

Episode 7 - Challenge 1 - The natural products only hair styling challenge.
- Challenge 2 - The Pet challenge - style doggy's and owner's hair (matching)

Episode 9 (Through a different link)- Challenge 1 - Short cut challenge that reflects and capture's the client's personality and uniqueness (hidden surprise)
- Challenge 2- Photo shoot - Style the hair of models for a photo shoot.

Episode 10 - Last Episode - Create a story and four different looks that reflect the life of a woman at 4 different stages of their life - three different hair colors.

Hope you enjoy :)

pdy2kn6
August 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks very much, I have been looking for this for ages. Some of them styles didn't look so long hair friendly. Still great to watch though, thanks for finding it for us. :)

Oh and I forgot to add...I don't know why they had such a problem with the updo of the woman who had ''paper-thin hair''. The judge said he thought she played it safe, but I thought the hair trying to make it look like ''vines'' and using the cherries, that style looked really complex and interesting.

Fethenwen
August 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Interesting. Haven't heard about that show before.
Those hairdressers faces sure were priceless when the klients showed their hair! :D Nice results, especially on the girl who had hair to her feet.

Darkhorse1
August 16th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Careful--when I opened that link, there's a trojan attached to the link inside. My antivirus snagged it immediately.

Susana
August 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM
pdy2kn6- No problem :) I was really curious when I read about it so I googled it until I found it. I liked some of the updos, but you are right they looked very damaging and I would not replicate them. I also thought of vines - I thought it was creative, but I did not like how tactless she was in front of her client by saying "she has no hair", that was just plain rude and inconsiderate.
Fethenwen - Yeah, for hairdressers a lot did not seem to have a lot of experience with updos - cuts and color are the main focus of the episodes (yes, I went back and watched them)

Darkhorse- Thanks I had no idea :) I need a anti virus update.

I added a link to another one where they bring this green stylist and they can only use natural products to style their clients hair.....it's interesting.....

neon-dream
August 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Interesting. Haven't heard about that show before.
Those hairdressers faces sure were priceless when the klients showed their hair! :D Nice results, especially on the girl who had hair to her feet.

Haha I know :D!
"They had the longest hair you've ever seen." Are you sure...?
They did some great styles though, especially the girl who styled the longest hair. :)

metalgypsy85
August 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
That episode showed the snottiness of some of the stylists. Seriously, if someone criticized my hair, I wouldn't let them touch it. Of course, that's why I don't even go to a salon anymore. It showed them yanking brushes through, covering it with product. I can't believe those girls volunteered for it.

freckles
August 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM
the girl with the beautiful red hair - the stylist kept going on about how little hair she had (it looked fine to me) as a defence against criticisms of her styling. All I could think, is how must that woman feel sitting there while the woman behind her complains about her hair? How awful.

rags
August 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
the girl with the beautiful red hair - the stylist kept going on about how little hair she had (it looked fine to me) as a defence against criticisms of her styling. All I could think, is how must that woman feel sitting there while the woman behind her complains about her hair? How awful.

Yes, this got to me too. Also, just the general attitude of the stylists - they really acted like the long hair was hideous! The look on their faces when they were told they couldn't cut it!

And the one lady who used her foot to seperate the hair. I don't know how the models put up with it.

Medievalmaniac
August 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
That blondie chickie poo was as rude and snarky as they come, I would never let her touch my hair if I saw her in a salon!!! Just plain hateful. I liked her idea, though....the vines and such, it could have been very Elvish and cool, but she just made it look like Arwen on Meth because she didn't understand her client's texture, and then she blamed the client.

Norai
August 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I can't see the movie? When I click the play button it tries to get me to download some .exe from desktopsmiley.com...

Fethenwen
August 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM
And the one lady who used her foot to seperate the hair. I don't know how the models put up with it.
Oh man, that really made me cringe!

That blondie chickie poo was as rude and snarky as they come, I would never let her touch my hair if I saw her in a salon!!! Just plain hateful. I liked her idea, though....the vines and such, it could have been very Elvish and cool, but she just made it look like Arwen on Meth because she didn't understand her client's texture, and then she blamed the client.
Yeah, she sure was awful behaving like that. Arwen on Meth! Haha, that description of the style is spot on! :p

Susana
August 16th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I can't see the movie? When I click the play button it tries to get me to download some .exe from desktopsmiley.com...

Whenever you click on it, yes, it opens another window, just re-click on the initial window (it should still be open, just beside the new one with the advertisement). Press play again and just close the advertisement window. That smiley window is a pop up NOT the video (even though it has a "play" symbol - just close it :) )

Susana
August 16th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Yes, I agree, some of the styles were beautiful and some of the stylist were good and polite - some were not. The short haired blond girl was really rude and nasty. The lady that used her shoe, that was just gross and disrespectful!! i liked the cascading pearls, and De's (with the hair sticks) a lot. I was not a fan of Charlie's up do, but he is a stylist that throughout the episodes is the most respectful of clients with long hair and not pushy about cutting it. You might like the last episode where he uses a lot of up dos rather than cuts.

rexy
August 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks for sharing. It really revealed how stylists feel about long hair. No wonder most of us don't go to salons.

Phoenix81377
August 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
You just reminded me why I am so afraid of going to the salon. I have yet to find a stylist that listens to me and works with my hair in it's natural (curly) state. I keep trying though! A good stylist coupled with what I have learned here - wow!

<continues search for good stylist>

MotherConfessor
August 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM
was anyone else thinking - I can do that!! Pleased as punch knowing that if one us had been there we could have trounced them. Also I really wanted to kick those stylists, particularly Blondie. Where does a hairstylist get off acting like she should not have to be able to deal with fine hair? Its her job to be able to work with all kinds of hair. Sheesh.

lora410
August 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
The fact that they call themselves stylist is a bit scary. Most of the do's were just masses of teased hair :shudder: Also blondie with the thin hair issue made me mad with "I didn't have any hair to work with" riiiiight. I did get a kick out of the saying "it was the longest hair they have seen"..lmao

LittleOrca
August 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Is it just me, or did they seem in awe of the hair at first, then got an attitude when they found out they couldn't cut it. I wonder how many of them were thinking "I am going to bob that hair" when the ladies let it all down.

Susana
August 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Is it just me, or did they seem in awe of the hair at first, then got an attitude when they found out they couldn't cut it. I wonder how many of them were thinking "I am going to bob that hair" when the ladies let it all down.

Ha ha Yeah I totally get that impression too!!

LittleOrca
August 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
"You need to tell your hair what to do, not ask it what to do, you know."

*Looks at own hair.*

GROW DARN YOU!

lol I mean, really, that comment would have gotten a slap from me.

"His wife has to be great in bed..."

Or maybe he just loves her... seriously, now I remember why I don't watch these shows.

keight425
August 16th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Yeah they were definitely all itching to cut that hair when they pulled it out and turned around!!!

If someone was putting their foot through my hair I would of back handed them, maybe that girl didn't know what was going on???

Susana
August 16th, 2009, 06:57 PM
"You need to tell your hair what to do, not ask it what to do, you know."

*Looks at own hair.*

GROW DARN YOU!

lol I mean, really, that comment would have gotten a slap from me.

"His wife has to be great in bed..."

Or maybe he just loves her... seriously, now I remember why I don't watch these shows.

Ha ha!! Yeah I know, clearly they are not trying to convince their hair to grow or they would know it doesn't listen!!

It sounded kind of sad that she assumed that he just wans to sleep with her and not that he loves her.

shadowclaw
August 16th, 2009, 07:15 PM
It was quite funny when they found out they couldn't cut the hair. It would be interested in knowing what each of them would have planned to do if they were allowed to snip... maybe have a segment where they had to brainstorm and tell the guest stylist guy what they'd like to do... then ahve him tell them they had to toss their ideas because they couldn't do any cutting :) I wonder if any of them would have kept the length.

That blonde who came in 2nd to last was quite a witch with a capital B. If I were going to a salon to see a "stylist," I would expect them to be able to work with any hair and make it beautiful, not complain that my 30+ inches of hair was "no hair" and that she couldn't work with it. There are lots of ways to make thin hair look like more, especially when there is a lot of length to work with!

Several of them should really have been called "hair cutters with a can of hairspray," not stylists. Some of them did produce nice work, like the winner.

Darkhorse1
August 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
What bothered me about Shear Genius is that...why would you blindfold them?? No hair dresser will cut hair blindfolded. They had, in my opinion, some odd challenges that didn't seem to me to be really credible.

All epsidoes of Shear Genius are available on youtube. That's where I watched them. Virus free :D

Darkhorse1
August 16th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Just a side note, you have to realize that a hair dresser is an artist--seeing long hair is like a painter seeing a blank canvas. They see all sorts of creative potential. It isn't their fault--it's the creativity in their eyes :D

Susana
August 16th, 2009, 08:49 PM
What bothered me about Shear Genius is that...why would you blindfold them?? No hair dresser will cut hair blindfolded. They had, in my opinion, some odd challenges that didn't seem to me to be really credible.

All epsidoes of Shear Genius are available on youtube. That's where I watched them. Virus free :D

I totally agree with this, I was pretty unconvinced with that challenge and thought it was stupid and could have left people with some pretty scarring hair cuts. On top of that, it by no means proves that one of the stylists is better than the rest, it was just shock value.

I agree that long hair is like a blank canvas for them to mold into their creation, which is why I liked the updo - no cutting - challenge, it gave them a chance to be very creative but maintain the client's wishes.

blondecat
August 18th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I clicked on the link and got ............ Nowhere. Nothing, zip.

Any help apreiated, I'd love to know what everone here is talking about.

Phalaenopsis
August 18th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Their reactions were so funny. What also was remarkable that most of the longhaired girls were tailbone.
I think the superbleached blond one annoyed everybody :mad:

Phalaenopsis
August 18th, 2009, 02:36 AM

can't find them on youtube? I wanted the part with the longhaired girls to mention on our little Belgian/Dutch forum

Susana
August 18th, 2009, 07:29 AM
can't find them on youtube? I wanted the part with the longhaired girls to mention on our little Belgian/Dutch forum

I can't find them on youtube either :confused:

Carolyn
August 18th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Just a side note, you have to realize that a hair dresser is an artist--seeing long hair is like a painter seeing a blank canvas. They see all sorts of creative potential. It isn't their fault--it's the creativity in their eyes :DThat's exactly what puts the fear of god in me when I go to a salon. I am not a blank canvas for some stylist's so called creativity. I am the one that has to live with the results of that creativity 24/7. I do understand that that's what they "do" but I don't want it done on me.