PDA

View Full Version : Detanglers

CowgirlKate
August 16th, 2009, 12:21 AM
My hair gets tangled gets tangled very easily. Does that mean there is something wrong with my hair or do I just have to live with it? Last time it got this long, TB, I ended up chopping it off because it would get so knotted. Usuallly I can run my fingers through it until between my shoulders and BSL but after that it is a mess. So far I have only found one that works pretty well for me. What are some good detanglers?

RancheroTheBee
August 16th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I've found that a leave-in conditioner can work really well, as well as diluting your regular conditioner in a spray bottle and using that.

Elle214
August 16th, 2009, 12:51 AM
First, I use a rich conditioner after shampooing my hair. I also like oiling my hair a little bit, before combing.
It also helps to put a thin layer on oil onto your comb, before using it.

Teacherbear
August 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM
My hair is very fine. My hair tangles and knots up if I apply oil to it. The oil causes tiny pieces of lint or fuzz to attach, then the other hairs think it is party time and they wrap around that piece of lint/fuzz. Aaarrrggghhhh!

redcelticcurls
August 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I find that conditioners with behentrimonium methosulfate provide excellent detangling abilities and also work well in my leave-in.

Delila
August 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I find that conditioners with behentrimonium methosulfate provide excellent detangling abilities and also work well in my leave-in.

Thanks for pointing this out. ;)

In my own case, I've had to experiment to find products that I could use that would condition well, and yet not leave my hair sticky (which exacerbates tangling issues).

I use a moisturizing conditioner (which apparently has behentrimonium methosulfate at the top of the list) on my length, rinse, then use a detangling conditioner and rinse again.

BlndeInDisguise
August 16th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Build up can cause tangly hair. Do you clarify occasionally?

Darkhorse1
August 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I found Joico's leave in detangler/conditioner is awesome. Light weight--it can weigh hair down over time, but it's amazing at helping a comb go through hair. I have some clients who swear by mane and tail detangler, but I didn't like that product for myself.

Kirin
August 16th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Good ol' Johnson and Johnson's detangler has always worked the best for me. Also check the products you are using for waxes, these can make hair really tangly.

CowgirlKate
August 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will have to give them a try. I do clarify occasionally but probably not often enough.

HairColoredHair
August 17th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Can you tell us your current routine/products? Maybe we can find a culprit?

CowgirlKate
August 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Can you tell us your current routine/products? Maybe we can find a culprit?

Within the last few months I have been trying new things. I used Pantene, Aussie, White Rain, and now Herbal Essences(the hydration one for about 2-3 weeks). I usually wash it every day or every other day. It usually up in a messy bun, I don't know what it is called, or braided. I try to brush it every day but sometimes that doesn't happen. I have a weightless conditioner/detangler spray that I use when my hair is wet but it doesn't seem to detangle much. Last time it got to this length I chopped it to my shoulder because it would get so tangled. I am thinking the bottom half is just too damaged to work with and that is causing my knots. My hair was layered last time I had it cut so the bottom 6 inches is all different lenghts.

Curlsgirl
August 18th, 2009, 08:36 AM
When you say it starts tangling at a certain point do you mean you start combing toward the top? You DO start from the bottom right and just do an inch or so at a time and then move up? Just wondering and wanted to make sure. No way I could start from the top and get anywhere past my ears.

shortgoinglong
August 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM
When I used to have waist length hair that was always tangled I found that using Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight conditioner after shampooing and leaving it in awhile always left my hair tangle free. I tried other kinds of Herbal Essences conditioners but nothing worked as well. Also, John Frieda Root Awakenings Detangling Spray is awesome!

HairColoredHair
August 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Within the last few months I have been trying new things. I used Pantene, Aussie, White Rain, and now Herbal Essences(the hydration one for about 2-3 weeks). I usually wash it every day or every other day. It usually up in a messy bun, I don't know what it is called, or braided. I try to brush it every day but sometimes that doesn't happen. I have a weightless conditioner/detangler spray that I use when my hair is wet but it doesn't seem to detangle much. Last time it got to this length I chopped it to my shoulder because it would get so tangled. I am thinking the bottom half is just too damaged to work with and that is causing my knots. My hair was layered last time I had it cut so the bottom 6 inches is all different lenghts.

Pull your hair forward and study the ends... do they look damaged (white dots, 90 degree bends, splits and breaks)?

If they're breaking then maybe you need to consider why they'd be damaged... what do you use to hold your bun/braid? Could it be damaging (metal bits, sharp glue edges)? Could you be getting damage from binding your hair in the same places all the time? Obviously if your hair is up it's not becoming damaged from being loose. If there's damage it's up to you whether you'd want to go in for a trim or more or get a hair scissors and snip the individual damaged hairs (called S&D, lots of us do this to maintain good ends without large trims.).

If your hair isn't damaged (or at least not extremely damaged) I'd think you may need to clarify and then do a good moisture treatment after.

CowgirlKate
August 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM
When you say it starts tangling at a certain point do you mean you start combing toward the top? You DO start from the bottom right and just do an inch or so at a time and then move up? Just wondering and wanted to make sure. No way I could start from the top and get anywhere past my ears.

I start a both the top and bottom. Once I hit the tangles I start working from the bottom.

When I used to have waist length hair that was always tangled I found that using Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight conditioner after shampooing and leaving it in awhile always left my hair tangle free. I tried other kinds of Herbal Essences conditioners but nothing worked as well. Also, John Frieda Root Awakenings Detangling Spray is awesome!
I might try that next time I get shampoo and conditioner.

Pull your hair forward and study the ends... do they look damaged (white dots, 90 degree bends, splits and breaks)? I did that last week and I was surprised to find that I didn't have a ton of split ends.

If they're breaking then maybe you need to consider why they'd be damaged... what do you use to hold your bun/braid? Could it be damaging (metal bits, sharp glue edges)? Could you be getting damage from binding your hair in the same places all the time? I could be, but I am not sure. Obviously if your hair is up it's not becoming damaged from being loose. If there's damage it's up to you whether you'd want to go in for a trim or more or get a hair scissors and snip the individual damaged hairs (called S&D, lots of us do this to maintain good ends without large trims.).

If your hair isn't damaged (or at least not extremely damaged) I'd think you may need to clarify and then do a good moisture treatment after.I will try that. Are there any treatments you recommend?

Later tonight I will try to get pics of my hair and put them up.

rexy
August 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Cowgirlkate, I have the same tangle issues as you. Thanks for starting this thread. I'm going to try to get a conditioner with BM.

nowxisxforever
August 18th, 2009, 04:59 PM
My hairtype is also very tangly, but I make sure to leave my hair up most of the time-- I don't use any 'detanglers' since they wet the hair, and I hear far too many snapped strands when I detangle wet.

yogachic
August 18th, 2009, 06:18 PM
The best detangler I've found is coconut oil!

CowgirlKate
August 18th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The best detangler I've found is coconut oil!

I have some of that. Is there a way to apply it without it looking greasy?

CowgirlKate
August 18th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Here is a pic of my hair.

Did it work?

It is not working. Hold on a sec.

For the life of me I can't get it to work. If you want to see it, it is my avatar and it is in my album.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3764&pictureid=48256

nowxisxforever
August 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I have some of that. Is there a way to apply it without it looking greasy?

Use very little. :) Enough to make your hands shine, no more, should be fine. Take it one application at a time.

HairColoredHair
August 18th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Treatments I recommend... hrm... I like mixing honey into my conditioner. It's quick, it's easy, and it adds extra moisturizing oomph.

Don't try too many options at once though. If you see something you want to try, give it a sporting chance and then decide if it works or not and move to the next thing. When I started here I tried everything at once and... um... couldn't tell what was or wasn't working. :o

walkinglady
August 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
You are not alone in the battle of the hair tangles, mine tangles easily as well. Isn't it annoying?! Not sure there is any way to escape it but here are a few ideas that have worked for me. Honey is one. I started using it on a regular basis about a month ago and it seems to help. I mix one part Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner (thick conditioner) with one part honey. I slap on a bunch of Vo5 conditioner then put on a very large palm full of the Trader Joes/honey mixture. Let it sit for three minutes or so and then gently detangle from the bottom up under the showerhead. Before I put my hair in a towel I divide it in two and put a little larger than pea size amount of conditioner on each section. Start at the bottom and work up a little. When my hair is dry I spray it with a light leave in. One tablespoon conditioner to 8 ozs. water works well for me. I also like to oil very lightly. You can always add more oil so go slow.

You have a lot of great suggestions in this thread so I'd like to add one of the most important things I've learned through LHC. Only try one new thing at a time. Give it a couple weeks and see how your hair is doing. If you do to much all at once you won't know what is working : )
or what is causing problems : (

By the way, your hair is gorgeous!