PDA

View Full Version : Smelly scalp?

RancheroTheBee
August 16th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I'm sure I saw another thread like this at some point, but I couldn't find it, so here goes.

Everytime I wash my hair, I can still smell my scalp. And it doesn't smell like regular scalp smell, like the smell on other people. It smells like I haven't washed my hair in weeks, even while still in the shower. Then my scalp gets even smellier as the days progress, even though it feels and looks clean. This problem is the only reason I wash my hair so frequently, and it seems to be getting worse, to the point where I'm washing my hair every day.

I cut down for a few months, but that seemed to make it worse. What's a stinky gal to do?

ETA: So you know, I use an SLS-shampoo (Suave or Down Under Naturals), on and off cone usage, sometimes use gel, sometimes blowdry on low. I have tried the following: CO, CWC, SLS-free, clarifying, and scalp massage (ew, the smell!). I have dry, 2b curls. Just in case any of this helps. :p
ETA (2): Did I mention I don't have dandruff or excessive shedding? I haven't had dandruff in years, and I only shed about 25-30 hairs a day.

Renbirde
August 16th, 2009, 12:54 AM
When you say dandruff, do you mean the white flakies (dry scalp) or the oily, stinky, yellow stuff (true dandruff, caused by fungus)?

If the problem is bacterial or fungal, you might try rubbing some diluted Tea Tree oil in to kill the heebie jebies. You probably don't want top use it ful strength-- it's pretty strong stuff and might irritate your scalp.

RancheroTheBee
August 16th, 2009, 01:05 AM
When you say dandruff, do you mean the white flakies (dry scalp) or the oily, stinky, yellow stuff (true dandruff, caused by fungus)?

If the problem is bacterial or fungal, you might try rubbing some diluted Tea Tree oil in to kill the heebie jebies. You probably don't want top use it ful strength-- it's pretty strong stuff and might irritate your scalp.

Oh, no, I meant I don't have dandruff, which is why it seems odd that it would be a fungal infection. It just smells awful. I will try the tea tree oil, though. :) Thanks.

ETA: Ughn, duh. You were asking about the dandruff I HAVE had. Yeah, it was just dry scalp, and this was probably... seven years ago.

jera
August 16th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Using citrus smelling products can help cut the stinkies. Have you tried the Garnier line? They have a fresh clean fragrance and are affordably priced at most drug stores. ACV rinses might help too.:)

serious
August 16th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I used to have smelly scalp before I joined the LHC and I believe it was some sort of styling products (gel and mousse) build up.

You could try to clarify with baking soda and use some nice EOs, like lavender and rosemary for scalp massage. I did this and it solved the problem within a few weeks.

ericthegreat
August 16th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Everyone carries bacteria and usually some kind of fungal organism on their scalp and hair. These organisms are natural and normally they are harmless. However of course, some people may be carrying higher concentrations of these bacteria/and or fungi and they do cause a funky kind of smell to the scalp.

I agree with Renbirde on this one Tea Tree Oil is not only very soothing for the scalp it is also an anti-fungal agent, it should be able to control whatever is growing out of control on your scalp.

Flynn
August 16th, 2009, 02:09 AM
On the tea tree note, you might like to try a tea tree shampoo. Redwin and Thursday Plantation both make good ones. That way you can be reasonably confident you're using about the right amountt of tea tree oil.

Commedia
August 16th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Seconding the suggestion of ACV rinses. This should help get rid of any weird bacteria that might be hanging around on your scalp and causing odor.

physicschick
August 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Is it possible you're just hypersensitive to the smell of your own scalp? Can you ask a trusted friend or family member whether they notice an odor? Sometimes I think my scalp smells, but I'm sure it's not a big problem because my DH would tell me if it were.

spidermom
August 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I think my first line of defense would be to get a medicated shampoo like T/Sal or a tea tree shampoo. I'm also wondering, like physicschick , whether you are hypersensitive to smells, and there really isn't a problem. Oh - and this just occurred to me - you henna or dye, don't you? The smell could be from that.

RancheroTheBee
August 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I think my first line of defense would be to get a medicated shampoo like T/Sal or a tea tree shampoo. I'm also wondering, like physicschick , whether you are hypersensitive to smells, and there really isn't a problem. Oh - and this just occurred to me - you henna or dye, don't you? The smell could be from that.

I do, actually. I used to henna, and now I dye. I am also pretty sensitive to smells; I got a peppermint emulsion to use in cosmetics, and I almost passed out when I smelled it. Then again, my friend commented that my scalp smelled like "couch" (musty).

I will try the tea tree shampoo, since that seems a little easier to apply than a mixture of oil and water. If that helps a little, I'll graduate to the AVC rinse. :D Thanks, everyone. (And this is why I always come to you guys for help; I googled this and most of the responses were, "You obviously don't wash your hair enough," or, "Use more expensive shampoo." :mad:)

Note: I also tried Head & Shoulders at my father's suggestion last night, and that seemed to help a little. I think this means I might just have an oil buildup, so the teatree shampoo might just be the ticket to a clean-smelling scalp. :) Thanks again!

spidermom
August 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I hope something works for you. I've noticed lately that if I damp-bun my hair and then work hard and sweat, when I release the bun, the smell almost gags me. It reminds me of the smell in the bottom of a laundry bag.

danacc
August 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
The pyrithione zinc in Head and Shoulders is anti-fungal, so Tea Tree oil is definitely worth a try.

An ACV rinse will also inhibit fungal growth by bolstering your scalp's natural acid mantle. Since you're sensitive to smell, I recommend rinsing with a 1:16 ratio of vinegar to water, let it sit for 1 minute, and then rinse it out. (If you let the vinegar rinse dry in your hair, any later dampness will smell like vinegar again.)

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, too.

Moonstruck
August 16th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Vinegar also just absorbs other smells in the area (if you've never tried it, leaving a small bowl of vinegar out while you go out for a bit will take care of smells nearby). I tend to get a stinky scalp too, and doing a vinegar rinse (and leaving it in) helps that immensely.

Norai
August 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM
if it smells really, really nasty it could be a yeast or fungal infection - I saw something on google a while back where people had great success with putting full-strength vinegar on their scalp/head and bagging it for 15-30 minutes before rinsing out... seemed to kill whatever bug overgrowth they had.

........and obligatory disclaimer - am not a medical doctor so be careful with full strength vinegar, it might cause irritation if you're sensitive etc etc

RancheroTheBee
August 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM
:) Great! I will try the vinegar rinse first.

danacc: Haha, uh-oh. Not drinking enough water could be a culprit. I was working as a cake decorator (I have since quit) and I wasn't allowed to drink water while in the bakery. :confused: They wouldn't tell me why.

LawyerGirl
August 16th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Cocoa powder? (!)

Moonstruck
August 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Of all things...... maybe they were worried about spilling the water and destroying cakes that way? That's really really strange. Is that standard for cake decorating places or something?
Anyhow, good luck!

free_hug
August 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Is it possible you're just hypersensitive to the smell of your own scalp? Can you ask a trusted friend or family member whether they notice an odor? Sometimes I think my scalp smells, but I'm sure it's not a big problem because my DH would tell me if it were.

Consider this possibility too, please. Though i don't know if you asked someone already... i'm sure that (for one example) i can't totally smell my own scalp most of the time, but i'm the only one who can feel it without pressing their nose real close :D

Fractalsofhair
August 18th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Use full strength vinegar as one scalp treatment(White is the cheapest.) with a few drops of tea tree oil in it. Leave it in till it dries, then wash it. Then start experimenting with dilutions, as the full strength is drying.

When I had very damaged hair and a very damaged scalp(BC destroyed my oil production temporarily!) I had a very strong smell from the damaged skin rotting in effect, I think. Now, my scalp is much happier and I don't have to wash every day, but more like every other day to prevent a smell(and a slightly "greasy"(Exaggerating here, not greasy to others, but it's a good thing to me) scalp). The smell is much less strong as well.

RancheroTheBee
August 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Cocoa powder? (!)

Cocoa powder is beyond awesome as a dry shampoo. My boyfriend goes nuts for it, because it makes me smell like chocolate and he loves chocolate like a woman with PMS. If I can just figure out a way to make myself smell like Raisin Bran, I'll be set for life.

Anyway, as an update: I used Head & Shoulders a few times and that seemed to clear everything up. I'm going to do an AVC rinse as well, every few weeks, to try to keep the issue at bay.

As for the bakery-water issue, they said it was something to do with a health issue. Like, if I had mono and spilled my water onto something (like I would still serve it to people.) I went back to being a cashier, though, where I can freely drink as much water as I can.