PDA

View Full Version : how can you tell if it is breakage or new growth?

Medievalmaniac
August 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I just noticed that there are a looooot of shorter hairs along the outer circumference of my head, and they're pretty much all the way around, not confined to any spot or to the back or front specifically. A lot of them are about 2 inches long or so, and there are some shorter than that and some longer than that. Since they are not in any one spot but rather scattered throughout, can I assume this to be new growth and not breakage? (I hope so, that would be SO great...and so much breakage would be SO horrible...lol) How can you tell the difference?

Rohele
August 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM
If you look closely, new hairs will have a tapered end on them. It sounds like a regular re-growth halo to me, but you can't be sure until you look at the ends.

violetka
August 14th, 2009, 11:19 AM
What exactly is meant by "tapered end"?

EtherealOde
August 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM
A new hair grows out with sort of a pointy end, thinner than the main body of the hair strand. Take a magnifying mirror and look closely at the ends of the little hairs. If the ends are the same thickness as the rest of the hairs it is likely breakage.

violetka
August 14th, 2009, 11:57 AM
thanx a lot for the clarification. I appologize for the off topic, but what does it mean if you have a white edge of a hair, but not split end. is it pre-split end or breakage or?This also happened when i trimmed my hair - the end points became white ...

Medievalmaniac
August 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
thank you! I think I'll have to have my husband do it, as the hairs are too short for me to get a good look at them. Keeping my fingers crossed it is new growth!! :o)

xoxo
August 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
breakage will look like spit ends

RancheroTheBee
August 15th, 2009, 12:55 AM
thanx a lot for the clarification. I appologize for the off topic, but what does it mean if you have a white edge of a hair, but not split end. is it pre-split end or breakage or?This also happened when i trimmed my hair - the end points became white ...

They are usually the beginnings of a split. It's possible that your scissors are dull. Just to make sure, try again on one strand of hair, then run your fingers along the hair. The white spot might just be dust.

meph
August 15th, 2009, 04:56 AM

They are usually the beginnings of a split. It's possible that your scissors are dull. Just to make sure, try again on one strand of hair, then run your fingers along the hair. The white spot might just be dust.

It could be white spots, but when I cut my hair I also notice that the ends become white / get a white edge. I tend to think this is because I have coarse hair, and that the end of the hair is more visible than when you have finer hair, thus resulting in something that looks like a white spot. If it's not.. well then almost every hair has a white spot and is beginning to split :shrug:.

Seeing as violetka has coarse hair too, it might be the same for her.

Rentlle
August 15th, 2009, 05:04 AM
can't wait to hear what they realy were..
I think rather re-growth :)

Samitra
August 15th, 2009, 06:41 AM
It could be white spots, but when I cut my hair I also notice that the ends become white / get a white edge. I tend to think this is because I have coarse hair, and that the end of the hair is more visible than when you have finer hair, thus resulting in something that looks like a white spot. If it's not.. well then almost every hair has a white spot and is beginning to split :shrug:.

Seeing as violetka has coarse hair too, it might be the same for her.

I have fine hair, and after a trim at a salon, almost every strand in my front layers had a wite dot at the very end. But that was 2.5 months ago, and the dots are still there and none of them has developed into a split end.

I don't know if the dots are the beginning of split ends, or if it's just the way my hair looks after a trim. I'll find out when I go for my next trim, by the end of November...