PDA

View Full Version : Best updos to protect hair from sun and wind?

Arashi
August 14th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I'm leaving for a week-long vacation to northern Wisconsin tomorrow, and of course the top thing on my mind is neither the fun I will be having nor what I need to pack, but my hair, lol. :D

Well, my dilemma is this: I will be on a boat a lot and thus will be wearing some sort of hat to protect my skin from the sun... what do I do with my hair? I need some sort of secure style that can work with a hat to keep it out of the sun and doesn't allow it to fly around in the wind. I was going to opt with a simple braid but alas.. it would be hanging down and thus exposed to the sun beating down on my back.

My hair is layered and a few inches away from BSL. My (lack of) knowledge about updo's extends to a simple braided ponytail at most. Any suggestions?

I also would consider using a headscarf if anyone has some suggestions on that, too..

ChrissieM
August 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I grew up spending summers in northern WI and spent lots of time on boats. You're right to want to protect your hair...my hair never grew past APL at that time because of the wind damage. What kind of hat do you have? Is it big enough to put your hair under? I've heard things about Buffs on this board...a tube cloth that you can wear as a headband and pull over all of your hair....you could braid your hair, wear the Buff over that, and a hat would fit over the buff.

mira-chan
August 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Braided and pinned around the head would stay under a hat.

If simpler, just bun and instead of a hat, tie a scarf over it.

karli
August 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
What kind of boat is it? If it is a fast motorboat you might lose both hat and hairstick and your hair will tangle a lot, as I experienced this summer. A scarf would be better.
If you are going to sail, a hat and a braided bun will work fine.

Fencai
August 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I would just go for the head wrap. I like to use a silk sarong and wrap my head and hair up in it as well.
Just be sure to put the sunscreen on your face BEFORE you put the wrap on... or else you'll end up with the stupid tan line that I had straight across my forehead!

Madame J
August 14th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Check here (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl) for scarf-tying ideas. I wear the "Bun" style a lot and always get compliments on it.

HairColoredHair
August 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM
A low bun with a broad hat would protect your hair and your face/neck. :)

xoxo
August 14th, 2009, 10:14 PM
French braid it. It always works for me when I want my hair in one place. And you can wear a cap, it'll give your face shading too.