PDA

View Full Version : Do you get asked about "when" you are planning to get a haircut for a "change"?

sweetnmellow
August 14th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Hey girls,

I am a new member, I have been reading for while but it's my first thread. I figured that maybe this was discussed before but I am starting this thread so that anyone who feels like it can vent about any negative coment they hear about their hair. I was talking to my DH yesterday and he asked me this: when are you planning to get a haircut? I didnt wanna say never *lol* so I told him that I love the way my hair is getting longer and I wont get it cut anytime soon...

The same morning I had lunch with some friends, and one of my guy friends asked the same kind of question: Hey have you thought about cutting your hair much shorter (he meant chin length) because I think it would look good on you...?
I said I know it would look good but I like my long hair, and he kind of kept on teasing me about how it seems to be on the way whenever I do something ( Its only APL+!!!) and that I would probably need a haircut for a "change".... I know he was teasing but what kind of comment is that?

Anyway, I have had extremely short hair for a while when I was younger and since then I never wanted my hair to get any shorter than shoulder length... The longest my hair got was BSL and unfortunately because of "subtle" pressure from people I cut it back to shoulder length... Now I am planning to grow it at least waist length and I really do not want to get influenced by these negative comments... especially by my DH who keeps on telling me that it would be nice if I get it really short!

Do you girls get any kind of comment like that, I mean I am only APL, and I know many of you have nice beautiful really long hair, so I was wondering if you get pressured by people around you to get a short haircut or any other comment about your haircare routine?

SimplyViki
August 14th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Not me, not really, I think partially that's because my hair isn't really abnormally long, especially in my area. I see women with my length and longer semi-frequently. It's not exactly "the norm", but there's enough variance in culture around here that nobody looks twice at my hair. I do occasionally get the "so are you ever going to cut it?" question from my friends sometimes, and it's not really so much anybody trying to get me to cut, it seems like they're just honestly wondering if I ever do plan to cut. :shrug: So I just tell them no, but that I trim regularly.

marikamt
August 14th, 2009, 09:44 AM
sweetnmellow-

You did not say how old you were (not that you have to ;) ) but mentioned DH, so I am assuming you are grown (saying with a smile)..... I think the older we women get, the more "pressure", awkward comments, etc we get about long hair... especially when it gets past APL.....

redneckprincess
August 14th, 2009, 09:48 AM
if someone were to ask me when I planned on cutting my hair for a change, I'd probally have to ask them when they planned on lossing all that extra weight...but Im not aalways a very nice person

Yayasmurf
August 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
if someone were to ask me when I planned on cutting my hair for a change, I'd probally have to ask them when they planned on lossing all that extra weight...but Im not aalways a very nice person

I'm sorry... that was just funny!

I'm not asked about cutting my hair very often but my sister seems to feel the need to comment that "it must be hot with all that hair"... or comments like "I just couldn't stand my hair that long". I think she has hair envy! I love her but don't really like hearing her comments. Her hair is Pixie Short. Yep... it's just hair envy :slap: between sisters.

ladylibra
August 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM

:laugh: I love it!

I'd say something like that too. Especially since this comes from people who typically, keep the same exact style on their own heads. Soooooo.... if they aren't changing, why should you?

Bonkers. :rolleyes:

Mostly, I get pressured to straighten my hair. And it's the same attitude I have either way - I'll do what I want! :p

missmagoo
August 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Well, my DH is kinda frustrating the other way- he simply refuses to take a stance on my hair one way or another.

I had short, cute, very styled hair for a long time. It's fun, but you can't "do" anything with it, so it pretty much looks the same until you cut it again, or dye it, etc.

To me long hair is way more versatile, especially because I tend to wear my hair up anyway. You can have a "change" with long hair anytime you put it up, or try a new hairtoy, etc.

When people say stuff like that to you, you could throw it up in a pony or a bun and say "there, that's a change ;)"

Really though, to me, it's just people making conversation.

young&reckless
August 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Yesterday I was questioned about if I was going to cut my hair, but some of my friends are hairstylest so they are just cut happy.

My SO yelled across the room no for me. :)

marzipanthecat
August 14th, 2009, 11:04 AM
It's quite a co-incidence I just found this thread, because I was out doing the grocery shopping this afternoon and I ended up in conversation with 2 other women (they had stopped me to say such nice things about my hair!) and one of them said "Are you ever going to cut it?" - but she didn't pause, just carried straight on with:"...because I used to have long hair and I was always told by everyone that I was too old for it once I had children so I got it cut short and I'm SO SORRY I did that!"

We ended up having a conversation about how annoying it is to have people telling you to get your hair cut!

(I did say she should let it grow again, if she really wanted it long, but she said it drove her nuts every time it got a bit longer and she couldn't hold it back easily. Her hair was really short - cropped short, less than an inch long most areas and about 2 inches on top - but I suggested a few places where she could buy wide headbands!)

Newniepg
August 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Yesterday I was questioned about if I was going to cut my hair, but some of my friends are hairstylest so they are just cut happy.

My SO yelled across the room no for me. :)

fantastic!

I haven't ever really been pressured about my hair, I guess people think there is too much else to 'fix' first! :D

amaiaisabella
August 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
If I want a change, I do another updo :D

Thankfully, no one's pressured me to cut my hair- actually, just the opposite! My best friend loves my "longer" hair (I've had shoulder-length for 7 years) and my family likes it. My mom will tell me quite frankly if my ends are ratty, and I trim half an inch at that point. I've heard varying opinions on how my hair looks best (blond/long, dark/short, red/short, etc.) but I'm doing what makes me happy. If my hair ever doesn't make me happy, then I'll change it, but only because I'm the one who doesn't like it at that point.

Appolonia
August 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I have had my hair very long most of my life. I always got asked when i was going to try a new cut. So i did. It was cut way too short! My daughter kept shaking her head NO, but i did not know what she meant. I cried.

I will never listen to people i know again about getting a shorter "up-dated" cut.
I'm growing it out again, and since March of this year, my hair was to my shoulders, now it's to my bra strap! My avatar stinks, and i will update it soon.
My friends say my hair grows so fast because i am Vegan, and live on multiple vitamins under the care of a holistic friend. I have taken Biotin, and it does work for me great!
My hair grows very fast, but does not seem as healthy as it was before the cut. She razored the heck out of it.

Yes, i do get bothered by people often yet again to go for a change! This time i will buy a wig.
I'm not cutting it.

Gumball
August 14th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Not a girl here, but I'll answer anyway! :p I rarely get questions about cutting my hair, and whenever they're actually asked it's not asking about me going for a "change". I guess people will just ask me because for some a guy with hair as long as mine (when they see the length) isn't something that they're accustomed to, but it's no biggie. Most of the time if I get a cutting question it's just "are you ever going to cut your hair?" That's a pretty easy question to answer.

Me: "Yup."

Them: "Really? When? How short?"

Me: "Eventually. Probably a half inch shorter. I do trim sometimes you know!"

Renbirde
August 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
It's really strange-- I used to get a lot of cut/ change up/ LoL comments when my hair was around BSL and highlighted, but I'm at TB now and haven't gotten one in years. :/ Go figure.

redneckprincess
August 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Not a girl here, but I'll answer anyway! :p I rarely get questions about cutting my hair, and whenever they're actually asked it's not asking about me going for a "change". I guess people will just ask me because for some a guy with hair as long as mine (when they see the length) isn't something that they're accustomed to, but it's no biggie. Most of the time if I get a cutting question it's just "are you ever going to cut your hair?" That's a pretty easy question to answer.

thats a good one...it catches them off guard a bit I bet... I'll keep that one in mind for when im not tryin to be so mean...

sweetnmellow
August 14th, 2009, 02:10 PM
sweetnmellow-

You did not say how old you were (not that you have to ;) ) but mentioned DH, so I am assuming you are grown (saying with a smile)..... I think the older we women get, the more "pressure", awkward comments, etc we get about long hair... especially when it gets past APL.....

hahaha yeah you know I am 18 and several months old ;);) but I guess I will just ignore the comments, many people try to :rolleyes:change you or even break your confidence and they find different ways to do it so I decided to let my DH talk "while the caravan passes by" :D

sweetnmellow
August 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
When people say stuff like that to you, you could throw it up in a pony or a bun and say "there, that's a change ;)"

Really though, to me, it's just people making conversation.

Hahaha yeah here is there change! i actually love updos, braids, etc, so I cant even say that I have boring hairstyles but people must always complain about something right? :o

Love it lol! I should definitely keep this conversation in mind next time someone asks :cheese:

sweetnmellow
August 14th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I have had my hair very long most of my life. I always got asked when i was going to try a new cut. So i did. It was cut way too short! My daughter kept shaking her head NO, but i did not know what she meant. I cried.

I will never listen to people i know again about getting a shorter "up-dated" cut.
I'm growing it out again, and since March of this year, my hair was to my shoulders, now it's to my bra strap! My avatar stinks, and i will update it soon.
My friends say my hair grows so fast because i am Vegan, and live on multiple vitamins under the care of a holistic friend. I have taken Biotin, and it does work for me great!
My hair grows very fast, but does not seem as healthy as it was before the cut. She razored the heck out of it.

Yes, i do get bothered by people often yet again to go for a change! This time i will buy a wig.
I'm not cutting it.

Oh no Appolonia ! I cant believe you gave into the pressure, I dont blame you I did couple of times, I am starting to think that my DH loves short hair:bigeyes: *lol* although when we met I had my longest hair (BSL+) so go figure.... :crazyq:

Anyway keep up the good work I hope it will grow back faster and faster, I am trying to grow mine to waist length so we will cheer each other up! don't give up and let me know if someone is pressuring you for a cut... I will be there to give you "the talk" :tmi:

Dreamernz
August 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
The only comment I've got was something I wanted to post about as it really hurt my feelings. I just recently got a youtube account, and the only mean comment of the whole bunch was a hairstylist who said she'd 'love to cut my hair short' I was very hurt and upset by this comment, and when I told her it was a horrible thing to say she was confused by the comment, I told her how she needs to be aware that many people would take such a comment as very offensive indeed but didn't get a reply back. I guess the point is not to take notice of such things cos people generally do not consciously mean it to be offensive

jera
August 14th, 2009, 03:01 PM

LOL. :D Can I borrow that the next time someone asks me the C question?? It's the best response I've ever heard to an obnoxious question. :p

karli
August 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I have never been asked about when I`m going to cut my hair, although I have never had it shorther than apl.

Dd has heard the question several times though, often made by older men who can`t figure out any other ways to make a joke. She doesn`t find them funny...

MemSahib
August 14th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I don't get the exact question you do but I do get comments about how I "used to look so nice with it short".

Shrug.

Phoenix81377
August 14th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I used to get asked this question all the time when my hair was mid-back to waist length. When I finally did cut it off, folks were surprised but they all told me how much better it looked short. Now that I am growing it out again, folks are saying how happy they are that I am letting my "gorgeous" hair grow. My take? Folks just talk to hear themselves talking and their voiced opinions have no basis in reality. How can the same people just love my hair short and be so thrilled that I am growing it out again.

This time - I am doing it for me and it sounds like you are too. Hold strong to that and let people's opinions roll off your back (like your hair will once it's long again).

inertia
August 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I don't think I've ever gotten this question, or at least I can't recall it. The only person who ever suggests I make a drastic change is my mother, who wants me to go back to my natural color.

I do get friends asking if I've thought about doing certain styles or using some types of hair toys that they think would look pretty with my hair. Nothing that requires a cut, though.

Delila
August 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
In my experience, it just took the people around me a while to figure out that I was really serious about growing my hair long (for the first time ever in my life).

The worst phase was pixie to chin length, I had tons of layers and bangs. Ugh. Never again. Chin length to shoulders had it's own awkwardness, since I was growing out mass amounts of layers and my hemline was so wispy.

FWIW, I'm at about classic length now, and have no plans to cut super short ever again in my life.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 14th, 2009, 05:56 PM
No one has asked me when I plan to cut it, but I do get asked 'how long are you going to let it get" a lot... I dont think many people pay attention to my hair outside of LHC lol some people will say "gosh its long!!!" or "its pretty" but ive never had a stranger make any comment about it that I can really remember.

Zéphine
August 14th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I used to get that all the time, but don't anymore, though I do get asked whether I want layers to make my hair "look thicker". I don't think my straight hair would work like that without curlers or heat styling. Anyway, when my hair's in an updo, it looks like I have more hair when I have more hair, not when the length is thinned out.

rogue_psyche
August 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
One time when I was S&Ding with a few friends over, one of them implied that if I have split ends, then I should get a trim. My response: "How will a trim help my splits if most of them aren't in the last inch of my hair?"

This person also claims to never get splits, even though I can see her hair thinning in her bangs from bleaching them over and over. Even if she doesn't have any splits, her hair is only APL when straightened. A lot of damage can happen on the way to BSL especially if you're going on a year since your last trim...

CrowningGlory
August 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I think sometimes this question is just a way of making conversation and people haven't really thought about how their words could be misconstrued. Or they really do care about you but do not appreciate long hair (believe it or not, there are a lot of really nice people that actually fall into this category) and think they are offering some friendly advice. To them it's no different than suggesting that a certain item of clothing would look good on you. Obviously there are people out there who think they know best how you should wear your hair (or dress, or any other matter that really they shouldn't be commenting on unless their advice is asked for) and those people are best ignored.

I've had long hair most of my adult life. The shortest I've gone is shoulder length to remove a perm. For years my mother kept telling me I'd be more attractive if I cut my hair and that long hair was too hard to manage with young children (it isn't).

Recently I was told that I'd look good with a chin length bob. And I probably would. But I don't want to cut my hair. It's now at tailbone and the longest it's ever been and I love it. And DH loves it. So I don't care too much about what others think now.

However there was a time when I did and I even cut my hair after being told that women my age (I think I was late 30s at the time) shouldn't wear their hair long. I cut it and hated it but actually kept it shortish (shoulder length) for several years before deciding that at my time in life I could wear my hair the way I liked it and not care about what any one else thought or said.

dernhelm
August 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM

:rollin: That is too funny...sorry, carry on...

ecologystudent
August 14th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure no one has ever said I looked good in short hair- aside from my boyfriend ;):P

If anyone tells me I should cut it for a change, I'll say: Why should I change something that I'm happy with? Ever heard of the saying "don't fix what ain't broke"?

Fairlight63
August 14th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Sweetmellow,
Thats funny! I could have wrote your post almost word for word.
My husband also doesn't like long hair either & every once in a while will ask me " when are you going to cut your hair?" I try to just ignore him but it is hard. He wants me to get it cut at chin length but I don't want to have short hair any more, it is too much work! It also helps to have expensive hair toys that you can only use on long hair. When I think of cutting it - I think of all of the Ficcares & Flex-8's that would go to waste.

My hair now is the longest that it has ever been I think at 26". When we started to bugg me to cut it - it wasn't even that long either - probably just past my shoulders. Your husband & mine must be related, LOL

MemSahib
August 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Count mine in the "likes short hair" camp, too. But at least he never says anything unless directly asked for an opinion. Which is why I don't ask him.

It is a bummer to know he doesn't like it, though.

xoxo
August 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I agree short hair is a lot of work! i had short hair above my shoulders a few years ago and everyday i had to curl or straighten it. My hair has a funky flip on the ends that just fight against each other. Im much happier now with my longer hair but once in a while I'll still get comments like you were so cute with your short hair or I liked your short hair style, but it's not for me, anymore.

sweetnmellow
August 17th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Count mine in the "likes short hair" camp, too. But at least he never says anything unless directly asked for an opinion. Which is why I don't ask him.

It is a bummer to know he doesn't like it, though.

Sweetmellow,
Thats funny! I could have wrote your post almost word for word.
My husband also doesn't like long hair either & every once in a while will ask me " when are you going to cut your hair?" I try to just ignore him but it is hard. He wants me to get it cut at chin length but I don't want to have short hair any more, it is too much work! It also helps to have expensive hair toys that you can only use on long hair. When I think of cutting it - I think of all of the Ficcares & Flex-8's that would go to waste.

My hair now is the longest that it has ever been I think at 26". When we started to bugg me to cut it - it wasn't even that long either - probably just past my shoulders. Your husband & mine must be related, LOL

What man does not like long beautiful flowing hair??:cool: I keep on telling myself that he will end up liking it one day, I just won't cut it for him it does piss me off listening to his complaints but I really dont want to give up and do it and I wont. All theses vitamins and efforts will go to wasteshudder:

mira-chan
August 17th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I have had long hair (waist and longer) for most of my life. People are used to this, thus don't ask me about changing my hair.

going gray
August 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
My DH likes my hair short too! He claims it makes me look younger, he & a lot of others feel the same way! What's with this "younger" theme ALL the time! What's wrong with looking good, BUT your age, that's EXACTLY what's wrong with our society! Everything is about YOUTH!!!

Curlsgirl
August 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I think sometimes this question is just a way of making conversation and people haven't really thought about how their words could be misconstrued. Or they really do care about you but do not appreciate long hair (believe it or not, there are a lot of really nice people that actually fall into this category) and think they are offering some friendly advice. To them it's no different than suggesting that a certain item of clothing would look good on you. Obviously there are people out there who think they know best how you should wear your hair (or dress, or any other matter that really they shouldn't be commenting on unless their advice is asked for) and those people are best ignored.

I agree!

I think everyone must agree I LOOK better with long hair because I don't think I have had that asked, at least since I first started growing it at about shoulder length. I am almost 50 and my Mom keeps telling me that when I can still wear it like this while I am young. I find that rather funny. I tell her that I am almost 50 and she gets that look in her eyes like, "Well I will tell you I guess when you get too old" :)

MemSahib
August 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
What man does not like long beautiful flowing hair??:cool: I keep on telling myself that he will end up liking it one day, I just won't cut it for him it does piss me off listening to his complaints but I really dont want to give up and do it and I wont. All theses vitamins and efforts will go to wasteshudder:

People just don't all like the same thing, including men. Most of them do like long hair on a woman. There are some who don't. It's that simple. Or, without having talked to all these men who don't like it, it could be that some men like some long hair on some women but prefer shorter hair on certain other women.

Aside: I tend to get frustrated here at LHC with all the threads where we LHCers claim anyone who doesn't like your or my long hair is "just jealous". Maybe. Maybe they just genuinely don't care for long hair. People come in more varieties than only chocolate and vanilla, you know. Let's see, there's chocolate, vanilla, cherry, strawberry, orange, lime, hazelnut, cinnamon, lemon, peppermint, white chocolate, mocha, butter pecan, rocky road, pecan praline, cookies 'n cre.......

Fractalsofhair
August 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Well, I currently get comments like that, but currently my hair is in a rather shaggy pixie that looks silly! People are asking if I'll get a trim or extensions. Luckily for my hair growth, my wonderful stylist is on maternity leave till December, so, no haircuts till then!

Loepsie
August 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
My classmates often ask me when I'm going to cut my hair, they say I'd look great with shorter hair. When I tell them I'm growing it long long long they say it's disgusting and that I shouldn't do it. I let myself be pressured into cutting once and have regretted it so much, I'm never doing it again.
They'll just have to deal with my disgustingly long hair :)

Belledandy
August 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I've had long hair most of my life so I don't get the comments from family. Strangers usually just comment on the length and if I'd cut it and donate it to Locks of Love. One girl in high school used to constantly tell me I should cut it. That's the only time she'd bother to talk to me. Suddenly she'd turn from sour-faced to all chummy and say how "great" I'd look if I lopped of my length (Tailbone, at the time) to chin length. Her own hair was bleached, frizzed, and crispy-short. She probably just got tired of looking at the back of my head and the silky braid hanging down to my backpack ;)

Fiferstone
August 17th, 2009, 05:20 PM
After 20+ years with BSL and longer hair, I can happily say that my vehemently-against-long-hair-on-me mother has given up. :cheese:

And I don't think my friends really care one way or another. None of them have seen me any other way, really :)

CowgirlKate
August 17th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I have my friends and parents contently telling me (mainly joking) that I need to get it cut or what length is should be. After a while it is pretty easy to ignore.

adiapalic
August 17th, 2009, 11:33 PM
:laugh: I love it!

I'd say something like that too. Especially since this comes from people who typically, keep the same exact style on their own heads. Soooooo.... if they aren't changing, why should you?

Bonkers. :rolleyes:

Mostly, I get pressured to straighten my hair. And it's the same attitude I have either way - I'll do what I want! :p

I adore your curls :) I can't imagine anyone telling you different! :flower:

Susana
August 18th, 2009, 07:40 AM
My classmates often ask me when I'm going to cut my hair, they say I'd look great with shorter hair. When I tell them I'm growing it long long long they say it's disgusting and that I shouldn't do it. I let myself be pressured into cutting once and have regretted it so much, I'm never doing it again.
They'll just have to deal with my disgustingly long hair :)

Your hair is gorgeous and I don't understand when people say long hair is gross. One of my friends said the same when I said I wanted it looong. She was also mortified when I said I would love to have it long and GRAY when I am older. I didn't mind, I just thought that the adjective "gross" was weird. Glad you won't cut it for them:cheese:

Tanuki
August 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I get asked a lot why I want longer hair and they accuse my hair of looking childish longer. I don't know about you, but I can't think of any instances where I'd see a lawyer or a banker with the frosted spikes my sister so desires me to get