PDA

View Full Version : How to make your hair stay behind your back once it's longer

juliaxena
August 14th, 2009, 06:52 AM
That question really bugs me. I keep looking at your photos. Maybe it's for presentation purposes, but your hair always seems to listen and stay on your back. When my hair was longer, it would split up in two and hang over my well...boobs. It always stayed in the front and in the back there was no hair at all. I would push it back but the next minute it would come forward again. So what is your secret?

SimplyViki
August 14th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Oh. Hee. Yeah, that's just pictures. Sometimes I walk by a mirror and realize that all my hair is in front except for one frail, skinny looking strand that's still dangling down my back.

I mean, unless somebody else has some magical properties about their hair that makes it stay behind their backs all the time... :suspect: But I doubt it. I'm pretty sure it's just pictures. It is for me, anyway.

ETA: Oh yeah, and plus a lot of us don't wear our hair down all the time, and if the hair is up and out of the way anyway, you don't have to worry about whether it's falling in front.

mira-chan
August 14th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Oh. Hee. Yeah, that's just pictures. Sometimes I walk by a mirror and realize that all my hair is in front except for one frail, skinny looking strand that's still dangling down my back.

I mean, unless somebody else has some magical properties about their hair that makes it stay behind their backs all the time... ::suspect: But I doubt it. I'm pretty sure it's just pictures. It is for me, anyway.
After a certain length (close to classic), my hair just started staying back there, other than a couple of strands from the very front (what is fringe/bang hair on those who have them). Though if I lean forward most of it comes over to greet whatever I'm leaning over. :p

ETA: Yes, this is only when it's down, and it rarely is.

sweet*things
August 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Mine isn't always in the back, but it usually is. A little above BSL it starts to be more cooperative.

HairColoredHair
August 14th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Once my hair passed mid-back or so it was much better behaved about staying on its side of the body.

Though if it's windy or such, it still migrates on occasion, but I rarely wear it down anyway.

WelshLocks
August 14th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I'm at BSL right now and I've always had my hair in the front.It irritates me if it's in back.I like to be able to see my progress.(lame I know)Sometimes I keep one side to the back and the other side in front.I believe it's about personal preference.When it gets longer though(I have this awful layer that is collar bone length and doesn't stay back yet)I'll probably migrate my hair to the back.
:)

Lady Godiva
August 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I think some of us unfortunately are blessed with hair follicles that orient themselves in a forward direction, so no matter what length our hair is, it tends to fall forward, at best, or we look like Cousin Itt, at worst, even if our hair is very long. :justy: Also, straight, silky hair tends to assiduously obey the law of gravity and fall along the easiest path downward. :rolleyes: The only way I successfully keep my hair out of my face is by wearing it up or in a braid/banded ponytail, or if left down, by grasping it with one hand to keep it from falling forward.

redneckprincess
August 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I cant wait for that to be a "problem" for me...

JamieLeigh
August 14th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Mine only does that in pictures. ;) In everyday life, I normally just wear it up, since I can't really do mom-stuff with my hair all in my face. My hair is very fine and tends to float to the front also.

Kiraela
August 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I never really paid attention to it, but I don't remember much of a problem with this after about bsl-waist. Now, at tailbone+, it clings to my back and the back and sides of my arms. Then again, my hair is wavy and tends to stay all in one poofy blob, rather than individual strands separating and escaping. If it does get to be forward enough to where it irritates me, I just pull it into a ponytail, smooth my hand down to the end to remove some of the static and poofiness, and then let it fall. That alleviates the problem for a while.

EtherealOde
August 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
If I have my hair down, it starts getting cheeky and disobedient with me. That is the reason I keep it confined in an updo much of the time...for it's safety and my sanity. :justy: Makes me less inclined to cut it while it's in the growing out stage.

Gumball
August 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
If my hair is ever fully down it stays behind me naturally. If it were to go in front of me usually I have to manually do that. When it was shorter it went where it wanted, but the longer it got the easier it was to just stay down my back. I almost never have it fully down, since it's (most of the time anyway) in a braid or a bunned braid.

Heidi_234
August 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
A slight half up (by 'slight' I mean not really taking the upper half of the hair, but as little hair as possible from both sides) can help contain the front bits that have the natural tendency to travel forward. ;)

Tabitha
August 14th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hah! I got as far as a couple of inches past waist, and it still wouldn't stay back. Sometimes even my ponytail will split and fall forward in two halves.

There's a big difference between the pics we set up and pose for after carefully arranging our hair, and the candid or action shots taken at a meet, which show people's hair in motion and are perhaps more "real".

Maybe this is more of a problem for certain hair types? mine is fine, and has a wave and some whorls (makes me sound like a horse!) which mean it likes to do its own thing.

Renbirde
August 14th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Mine started to behave somewhere between BSl and waist. I'm at tailbone now, and It stays put quite well.

(Except, I now have crazy frizz. But that's a different problem. :/ )

rags
August 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Mine has been well past waist before (I think it would have been around or past tailbone in LHC terms) and it still would not stay back. I always thought it was because I had fine, floaty hair. My friend who has heavier, coarser hair can make hers behave after about BSL or so. Maybe if I could get it to my knees.......

Quixii
August 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I was about to say, "Really? My hair always stays behind my back." And then I remembered I always wear it in a ponytail. xD
But yeah, when my hair is down, a majority of it stays in the back, but I get these bits that keep coming and attacking my front. >:[

spidermom
August 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM
For me, it's only in pictures. As soon as I move, my hair falls forward of my shoulders. Even a single braid down the back tends to swing forward.

bigdreamer
August 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM
For me it is definitely what someone already suggested, my underlayers are growing out of my head in a direction pointing towards the front of me, and the outer or top layer just follows the underlayers forward. So at just-past shoulder/APL it still all moves forward and also clings around my neck which I can't stand. I don't really enjoy having my hair up, although I know I need to work on that because it would be more protective.

Fethenwen
August 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I have bangs, so it keeps the hair in front out of the way, and the rest falls down the back. Not at the moment though, it's still a bit too short for that. But I remember when I had long hair about BSL, it really did fall down my back. I miss that feeling :(

Honey39
August 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
That's so odd - I only have bsl hair, but it always hangs behind, apart from a few curls at the very front. In fact, pulling it forward feels kind of weird. I have wurly hair though, which clumps together a lot in ringlets, and I suspect the weight keeps it hanging down in more or less the same way that it grows down, if that makes sense!

The girl at work with me has the same length hair as me, but she has shiny straight hair, and her hair always slithers forward as well; it's so pretty and lovely to have that movement, am jealous!

twilight_faerie
August 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I'm a bit past BSL, and my hair won't stay behind my back for more than a few minutes. My hair has gotten to the length where whenever I wear it down it gets EVERYWHERE. Particularly when there's any wind at all.

KatKeRo
August 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Mine usually stays in the back. It was doing this from BSL. Only when I'm leaning forward it falls in the front.

julya
August 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I have to put it in at least a half up to keep it in the back. My hair loves to come to the front of my body!

meph
August 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
My hair is a tiny tiny bit past BSL and it mostly stays behind my back, except the shortest layers or when I lean forwards. I also suggest doing a half up and only taking a few pieces in the front. I used to do this a lot when my hair was shorter and more prone to falling in front of my face. I think the strands that are clipped back help to contain the rest of your hair, and with half ups you can still show of the length. :)

rach
August 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM
After a certain length (close to classic), my hair just started staying back there, other than a couple of strands from the very front (what is fringe/bang hair on those who have them). Though if I lean forward most of it comes over to greet whatever I'm leaning over. :p

thank goodness for that, there hope there for me yet. :p

also i think hair type is a factor. if it fine and slippery in nature i doubt you can stop it. if it course / wavy / curly it may hold it self to together. i'm hoping. darn , i may have to grow it to find out the answer. ;)

Aisha25
August 14th, 2009, 04:04 PM
For me, it's only in pictures. As soon as I move, my hair falls forward of my shoulders. Even a single braid down the back tends to swing forward.
Yup me too same problem :roll:

rogue_psyche
August 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Now I feel odd because I like my hair to end up in front.

adiapalic
August 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I've always found that if I want my hair up front I have to actively put it there myself. So, generally stays behind my back--until I lean over to get something, of course. :D

Ryanne
August 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Most of my hair stays behind, but bits will sneak over my shoulder, braids sometimes do the same.

Elphie
August 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Mine stays mostly behind me unless I tug a few bits forward, usually to play with.

Curlsgirl
August 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Mine has stayed in the back from BSL or just below that well mostly anyway. It does that when it is blown straight or curly either one. I do have bangs so maybe that has something to do with it? :shrug:

Jinx2234
August 14th, 2009, 08:51 PM
My hair tends to fall forward unless I put it in a braid, bun or ponytail, then it stays pretty much where I put it.

Ash
August 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
In my case, it has to do with posture. My hair is just above my butt and if I walk or sit with proper posture, it will stay in the back. If I slouch or bend over, it comes forward.

HappyHair87
August 14th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Mine falls forward and then poofs out....especially in the humid weather!

nowxisxforever
August 15th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Here, too. Closer to BSL-midback it never wanted to stay back, but now at classic (and tailbone, etc) it will sometimes come around to hug my shoulders a bit, but it takes conscious effort (or bending over) for it to come around.

Rentlle
August 15th, 2009, 04:11 AM
hmmmmmmm
I often wear my hair down and it always stays in the back...:confused:
but I have layers.. maybe i'll have this problem once my layers are long too :)