PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle for an 8-hr bus journey

Diamondbell
August 14th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Favourite updo for a bus journey of 8 hours?
)Braided bun
2)Twin braids
3) Celtic Knot
4) Crown Braid
5) Classic Braid (Double Dutch Braids in bun)
6) Single braid
7) Rope braided bun
8 ) Chinese Braided bun

Wanderer09
August 14th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I've only tried a single braid and that was comfy, and I imagine double braids would be even more so.

Gothic Lolita
August 14th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I always go with a French braid, I guess double braids will be even better. I wouldn't go for a bun though. Makes my nape hurt when I need to sit for so long and only touch the seat with the bun.

Hiriel
August 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I always do two braids when travelling, can't stand to have something at the back of my head, then I can't lean back and sleep.

Angharad
August 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Single braid (very loosely braided) seems the most comfortable to me; certainly not a lower bun because it is very inconvenient sitting against the busseat.

heatherdazy
August 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Double braids would be the most comfortable for me.

AJoifulNoise
August 14th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Twin braids gets my vote.

Anje
August 14th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Single braid, or two braids. The most important feature for me, when traveling, is that my hair can be brought over my shoulder, so I can lean back. That eliminates buns, and generally single french braids go out, too, since they're lumpy.

Ryanne
August 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Twin braids. Though I usually go with one.

HairColoredHair
August 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Twin braids. That way you can lean back and pull your hair forward. Twin braids are my go-to when I drive home (7 hours) and haven't failed me yet.

Sometimes I bring a wavelength pin or hairstick with in the car (along with the ones in my luggage, of course) and put the braids up when I stop for whatever reason.

KatKeRo
August 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Twin braids for me also.

EtherealOde
August 14th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Ditto the dual braids. You can always use a clip or something to hold them up if you want them out of the way at some point. But a bun will get annoying when you lean back, so I wouldn't do that one. What about braiding your hair with ribbon in the braids, using them to tie the braids off. Then you can cross the braids over and bring them up the sides of your head and tie the ribbons together to get them up? Works up or down, and you won't have to carry a stick or clip.

Tabitha
August 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'd say twin braids for comfort, especially if you don't care what you look like.

(I don't know how old you are or what your personal style is - I add that rider because I put my hair in twin braids for comfort and to put it out of the way when I had surgery last year, but in my mid-40s I felt distinctly silly like that and actually said to the nurses that I don't normally wear my hair like that - in case they thought I was aiming for schoolgirl-style! I did wear twin braids as a schoolgirl and it always takes me back to my gym tunic days, I'm far too old for that, don't have the kind of personal style that can carry it off).

Renbirde
August 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'd likely go for pigtail braids or a high infinity bun. I'd likely take my hair down at some point though-- it'd be a good opportunity to s&D or practice braiding at weird angles.

As far as your list, in order of preference:

1) Crown Braid*
2)Twin braids
3) Rope braided bun
4) Celtic Knot*
5) Braided bun
6) Single braid
7) Chinese Braided bun
8 ) Classic Braid (Double Dutch Braids in bun)*

*I can't do these styles yet, but this is the order I think they would be in.

Reptilia
August 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Sock bun. I frequently make 6 hour trips and I found this is the best so far. It's comfortable and stays out of my way, and doesn't require having to be redone all the time. Plus, it always looks neat and polished!

lovebug
August 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM
IŽd opt for double french braid when travelling. That way hair stays neat and in control and you still can sleep with it. A scarf could be nice as well?

Jinx2234
August 14th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I would think that twin braids would be the most comfortable since it would keep the hair contained but not too lumpy if you wanted to rest your head on the headrest. Last time I went on a long bus ride I wore my hair in a bun and it was really uncomfortable trying to sleep.

julya
August 14th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I usually do a bun, an inside out bun is my go to style. I have done the twin braids for long flights, but the braids get in my way.

Diamondbell
August 15th, 2009, 08:44 AM
It is interesting to see all your views. That makes sense to make two braids or something similar. The last time I was on a long trip by bus I wore a bun and it was very uncomfortable.
Right now I feel that two braids or even the Braid-over-Braid-updo
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=63
would be nice, which is two braids, with which you can make an updo when you want, using two hairsticks. I still don't know the Inside-Out Bun!

windinherhair
August 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM
For a trip where I would have my head flat against the back of a seat, I would want a hairstyle that was flat against the back of my head. I would go for any braid that is flat against my head... personally I would choose a single braid or french braid.

Chromis
August 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Coronet braid (aka false crown braid). Keeps me from sitting on it or having a hot braid over y shoulder.

daydreamer
August 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'd probably go with twin braids or a single braid on one side. Less back-of-head annoyance that way.

little_acorn
August 18th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Twin braids :)