PDA

View Full Version : Hair up - mood up?

mellie
March 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Has anyone else noticed that when you put your hair up, it brightens your mood? It's weird, because I think that I look much better with my hair down (I have a very round face). Yet, I definitely get a mood lift when I pull my hair up away from my face!

Gumball
March 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I get the same way sometimes. Maybe it's the change or the fun of it? Either way it's a good feeling.

AJoifulNoise
March 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I don't know about mood. But, I do feel more awake and alert with my hair up. More like I am ready to get a move on and face the day.

I've been like that for a long time, even when my hair was barely shoulder length. Having my hair down tends to make me feel weighed down. That is unless I'm already hyper or I'm having a "It must be worn down!" day.

Shorty89
March 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I don't know about a mood lift, but my hairstyles reflect or influence my mood. My hair down makes me feel powerful and attractive, like some fantasy heroine.:D A bun makes me feel mature and studious while braids make me feel childish or carefree.

eadwine
March 9th, 2008, 01:13 PM
My mood with my hair is only affected in the sense of "when it is up my hair gets the least amount of damage, wide grin". :)

embee
March 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I'll have to pay attention to that, I never noticed it. I wear my hair up every day, so perhaps that's why I don't see any difference.

FrannyG
March 9th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I love wearing my hair up, but I confess that I'm happiest when my hair is down, and I just feel like me! :)

Katze
March 10th, 2008, 03:25 AM
when my hair is down, and freshly washed, and looking good, I definitely have more of a spring in my step. "Up" feels like something I "have to" do and isn't all that flattering to my face/body...

Alaia
March 10th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Hmmm...

On the days I wear it down I notice my mood is a lot better. I like having my hair down past the belt on my coat ;)

I think I get a nice lift out of wearing a "complicated" style, whenever I do. Recently I haven't been and I'm not sure wearing my hair up has not caused more damage than wearing it down. It rubs against my coat collar (which is high).

I'm planning to wear my hair in a nice way today though. It's about time I started looking after it more.

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I've noticed this a lot. When my hair is down I either feel lazy or very feminine it depends on who is around and why it's down! When it's up I feel either very formal, busy, or just 'normal'.

busnutmedic
June 14th, 2008, 08:07 PM
When my hair is up it feels like I've done something to get ready for the day (also the norm is a braid). When it's out, I feel uncomfortable because I almost never wear it out! If I can imagine that my hair is beautiful, I feel great with it down.

So yeah, if I put my hair up in anticipation of going out or something, I feel "up." :)

Bonnie

Mitzy
June 14th, 2008, 08:53 PM
When my hair is up, I feel "businesslike" and ready for work. That is probably because even if I go into work with it down, I will wind up putting it up with a ficcare or into a low ponytail before noon, most days. It is at a stage where the front pieces lay on my collarbone and go inside my shirt collar and it bugs me. Maybe when it gets longer it will stay behind my shoulders?

spidermom
June 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
No no no no no no no no no and no. I had to put a lot because the server wouldn't accept just one as a reply. When I put my hair up, I feel like somebody's grandma. Wait a minute! I AM somebody's grandma. But I want to feel -- different.

Unofficial_Rose
June 15th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I'm another one that feels business-like with hair up. When I knock off work, I generally take it down. So I feel playful with hair down.

(Slight thread highjack alert - Katze - your new siggy pic is FAB! Condition and colour look lovely - and the length too). Think I am having "Hair Envy Sunday" :bigeyes:

Curlsgirl
June 15th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I am the opposite too usually. I feel much more fun and care-free even playful with my hair down, just like ME more. I feel business-like also when mine is up because even I start the day with it down I just can't work with it that way very long. Sometimes I wear it in a halfup all day and that gives me sort of a mix of feelings :D

Chromis
June 15th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Nope! I wear mine up every day just about, it's normal for me.

banglaminerva
June 15th, 2008, 07:47 PM
All through college it became common knowledge among friends that when I had my hair up, I wasn't in a good mood and that still holds true. When I'm stressed out or annoyed, the hair goes up.

But it also goes up when I'm hot and because I'm trying to take better care of my hair, though it's still mostly due to my attitude.

freznow
June 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I notice that it's darker and hotter when I have my hair down.

That can really dampen my mood. So yes, I agree. That and I'm more comfortable with my hair up.

daydreamer
June 15th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I feel either businesslike or sloppy with my hair up -- weird combination, heheh. If it's a nice updo I feel like I'm ready to get busy with my day... but more often it's a way to get my hair out of my face and that doesn't really pick up my mood much. I think I feel more fun when it's down.

Phalaenopsis
June 16th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Yes, a hairdo brightens my mood. I feel cleaner and more sophisticated.
I've just put my hair up for an oral exam and it makes me feel a bit smarter :o

akka naeda
June 16th, 2008, 02:50 AM
No:)
Possibly this is because I have never, apart from when I shaved my head and until it was perhaps just shoulder length, been able to wear all my hair loose. It likes to grow forwards and hang over my face so I always have to have it tied back out of the way in a halfup, or all back in a plait ponytail or full updo depending on its length.

It's also slightly too long now for me to wear down as a regular thing, I'm really pleased to have discovered I can do a swirly bun - most of the hair goes up in that and I have the option of having a tail between waist and hip length if I want or putting that up. That's the nearest I get to having my hair down on a daily basis, and for most people it'd still be up.

Loreyanne_H
June 16th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Let's see...

When I wear my hair up is because I have to go outside (no matter if for studying in the library, business, a dinner downtown or just shopping). I really hate that my hair touches subway seats, other people's jackets...so normally when I have to go out I wear my hair up. If I have to go to a clean&indoor space, like university spaces, I just wear a ponytail that, during the journey, I wear in a bun. If I have to stay outdoor/go shopping I just bun/braid+bun my hair.

When I can stay at home I wear my hair down, when I have to go outside for a walk, or going by car to take an ice cream or something I use to wear my hair half up. But if it's for dinner/lunch I prefer to have it "pulled away".

An hairdo makes me feel "right", clean, ready-to-go. And this incides on my mood only partially.

If I really really feel bright, happy and cheerful (like for a desired garden party or something) I opt for a sweet updo: I braid my hair, make a circle with my braid onto my back of the head and "pin" it with extra small colorful/silver claws: soooo romantic!

Angellen
June 16th, 2008, 03:38 AM
For me, having my hair up means 'no-nonsense'. When I would take exams in school, for example, it's always, ALWAYS up. Having my hair down means distraction and fidgeting; things that I found intolerable on tests. I guess having my hair up helps me think clearly.

I find that I feel freer with my hair down, and I love celebrating the length.

DecafJane
June 16th, 2008, 04:44 AM
When I wear my hair up, it lifts my mood because it is finally long enough to wear up properly with sticks or forks!! :D:D:D