PDA

View Full Version : For swimmers---protecting hair and water saturation

Darkhorse1
August 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
How To Protect Your Hair Whilst Swimming

Since dry hair acts like a sponge the minute it comes in contact with moisture- absorbing it quick and deep- the best way to protect your hair before swimming is to wet it thoroughly with non-chlorinated water. This way your hair will absorb the "safe" water and once you get in the pool your hair will be too saturated with clean water to absorb much chlorine. It is also a good idea to exit the pool every thirty minutes or so and rinse your hair with clean, non-chlorinated water. This helps keep the saturation of chlorine to a minimum, especially if you plan on swimming for long periods at a time.

Another way to protect your hair from absorbing too much chlorine is to coat it with a thin layer of conditioner or oil before going for a swim. Simply comb your favourite conditioner or a small amount of baby oil, coconut oil, or olive oil through your hair before swimming. The oil will repel the water and seal the cuticle of the hair shaft acting as a barrier between the chlorinated water and your hair.

Perhaps the most effective and easiest option for hair protection is to don a swimming cap. The rubber-like cap will keep your hair safe from the chemicals in the water and keep your hair dry do you are ready to go immediately after your swim. No blow-drying, styling, or fuss necessary.

Finally, you can further protect your hair from the damaging effects of swimming pools by washing it after every swim. Immediately after swimming rinse your hair with warm, non-chlorinated water for three to five minutes. Next, wash it thoroughly with a clarifying shampoo. Towel your hair until it is just damp and then use a wide toothed comb to distribute a leave-in conditioner throughout your hair.

By taking a few minutes before and after each swim to protect your hair you can enjoy your swimming pool time and luxurious locks all summer long!

Full article here: http://www.hairlossexpert.co.uk/protect-hair-swimming.html

Medievalmaniac
August 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I always wear a swim cap, and I've tried three different caps - but the water gets into all of them. I can't figure out how to keep my hair dry in the cap! So I just rinse it with cold water to seal the cuticle and then use leave-in conditioner under the cap.

Darkhorse1
August 13th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I usually just wet my hair down with tap water. Apparently it's the PH balance that is critical, and they are speaking mostly of public pools, where they can't manage it as well as a private pool. I also think a leave in conditinor/oil is suggested as the oils repel the water.

Norai
August 14th, 2009, 10:42 AM
You know, that sounds like a really good way to do an impromptu oil/conditioner/smt/etc treatment - wet your hair down and slather one of those all over it and stick a swim cap on... rinse out when you're done swimming. :D

I've never worn a swim cap so I don't know how much water gets into it - would the goop stay in or rinse out into the pool water?

merseaone
August 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Problem with using the conditioner on your hair is that it makes the hair slick and ain't it fun to be swimming and have your cap pop off! Plus the latex caps that are suppose to keep hair dry always pulls temple hairs out. It is a no win situation. Maybe just doing aqua walking isthe best route if you swim for exercize.

Heidi_234
August 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I always wear a swim cap, and I've tried three different caps - but the water gets into all of them. I can't figure out how to keep my hair dry in the cap! So I just rinse it with cold water to seal the cuticle and then use leave-in conditioner under the cap.
I've tried so many caps I need to be awarded for supporting the industry :nono: I email speedo in regards of their long hair cap, and they replied me their caps are not supposed to seal water out, but to keep the hair contain and out of your face. I take this is the stance of other companies as well. None of them actually promise to keep your hair dry, even though some short haired people do manage that.

Problem with using the conditioner on your hair is that it makes the hair slick and ain't it fun to be swimming and have your cap pop off! Plus the latex caps that are suppose to keep hair dry always pulls temple hairs out. It is a no win situation. Maybe just doing aqua walking isthe best route if you swim for exercize.
If you use a cap that is the right size it shouldn't pop off. I found a cap that has room for a bun, and it's tight enough around the edges, it never pops off my head, even though I slather conditioner prior each swimming session. :)

ecologystudent
August 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Does any one have trouble with swimming in plain ol' fresh water (lakes, rivers, ect)? It seems like that wouldn't really damage hair at all, aside from tangles and such, but I wonder what other people's experience is.

merseaone
August 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I haven't found such a cap. I do have one that is not latex that stays on okay, it is made of material of some kind.

Heidi_234
August 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I haven't found such a cap. I do have one that is not latex that stays on okay, it is made of material of some kind.
I use Speedo's long hair swim cap, it's made of silicone, and it's the only swim cap that had room for my hip length hair in such way that my head doesn't start to hurt after an hour.

Heidi_234
August 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Oh, and it regards to the topic - Ladies, if you do put conditioner on your hair prior to swimming - make sure it contains EDTA. It's a substance that cancels chlorine quite effectively (I was convinced after I switched the EDTA-less body soap I used after swimming, to one that does contain it and felt amazing difference on my skin, no dryness whatsoever!). EDTA is fairly common ingredient, so it would be easy to find a conditioner that contains it.

Qamar
August 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Oooo, good to know about EDTA. I'll have to check my Suave and V05 for that ingredient.

Darkhorse1
August 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM
The site says you can use just oil or conditioner on your hair rather than use a swim cap. Oil repells water, so it will protect it. If the hair is saturated with tap water, it won't absorb the chlorinated water.

Ecologystudent--our cottage is on a fresh lake, and I've swam there for years, and my hair always looked AWESOME. It's because it's 'soft' water, and makes the hair really shiney.

Heidi_234
August 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM
The site says you can use just oil or conditioner on your hair rather than use a swim cap. Oil repells water, so it will protect it. If the hair is saturated with tap water, it won't absorb the chlorinated water.

Ecologystudent--our cottage is on a fresh lake, and I've swam there for years, and my hair always looked AWESOME. It's because it's 'soft' water, and makes the hair really shiney.
I would be hesitant. Alot of damage from pools comes from chlorine absorbing into the hair and crystallizing there (as far as I know, if not crystallizing - then at least drying in there), which roughens the cuticles and causes dry brittle hair. But chlorine also known to lighten hair when coming in contact with it. The lightening process itself is damaging, and the chlorine doesn't have to be absorbed into dry hair to cause it (even though that would amplify the process).
Wearing a proper swim cap (not a lycra one though) reduced the amount of chlorine that came into contact with my hair - my hair now is merely damp with pool water instead of being soaking wet with it when I wore caps that were too small (I tested both on dry hair, my little sacrifice for the greater good :)).
With oiling, I don't feel it would be as effective, because nothing guarantees the oil will cling to the hair, especially if you don't wear a swim cap. Conditioners, on top of containing EDTA which I find essential to fight the chlorine, also (usually) contains oils and other moisturizers which will help against the dryness chlorine may cause.
That said, coconut oil is known to protect hair from protein loss, and applying it on the hair before the conditioner (not heavily), or at least earlier that day can only help.
:flower:

Fencai
August 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM
This is great info! Im going to the water park tomorrow (all day) and was just thinking about this sort of thing! Thanks!

Darkhorse1
August 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Absolutely right Heidi--the site even says that the best prevention of dryness from chlorine, is to use a swim cap. I think they were offering alternative suggestions to those who may not wish to wear a swim cap :)

Actually, the site did say that the green hair is a myth--well, it DOES happen, but they say it's only to blonds, and it's because of a PH problem. Public pools don't manage PH as well as if you have your own pool. Also , it's a problem with copper in the pool. The copper gets into the hair and does something with the PH and you get a green hue or even other fun colors ;)

I've never had a problem with my hair in pools in regards to discoloration, but I have dark hair. :)

teela1978
August 14th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I had green hair every summer growing up. When the pH is off some of the copper in the pipes gets solublized into the pool. If your hair is light in color it gets in there and oxidizes, giving your hair a lovely green tinge :)

I usually wet my hair down with tap water, plop a latex swim cap on and go. I've never really had problems with too much pulling of hairs myself. I do use baking soda/corn starch on it after every swim, maybe that makes it easier to deal with?

LaurenH
August 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks for sharing the article... good stuff to know!! :)

merseaone
August 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM
"I use Speedo's long hair swim cap, it's made of silicone, and it's the only swim cap that had room for my hip length hair in such way that my head doesn't start to hurt after an hour."

Where did you find a cap for long hair? I just went to the Speedos website and I didn't see it anywhere.

Heidi_234
August 15th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Where did you find a cap for long hair? I just went to the Speedos website and I didn't see it anywhere.
Over Here (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSpeedo-Silicone-Long-Hair-Swim%2Fdp%2FB000FGZSNI&ei=NdKGSoPZEOagjAfT9OyiCw&usg=AFQjCNGBGDBb5U6rbnMu2UZcW7oqN6y5pw&sig2=JTRscDd4S38-KVc44HJFpQ) :)

Darkhorse1
August 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
teela--I'm lucky--the pools i've used never had that problem. Went swimming yesterday and did nothing to my hair and found no problems. It was a pool of a client, so it's well cared for. And a VERY nice refresher after a morning of teaching and hiking :)

teela1978
August 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
teela--I'm lucky--the pools i've used never had that problem. Went swimming yesterday and did nothing to my hair and found no problems. It was a pool of a client, so it's well cared for. And a VERY nice refresher after a morning of teaching and hiking :)

It was only an issue at the public pools where I swam several times a week during my formative years. I always liked the water :) The fact that my hair was white-blonde growing up also added to the green tinge I think.

kyashi
September 3rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks for this thread! I just got a new bathing suit on clearance, and was thinking of going over to the local Y to swim possibly before work.
I haven't been swimming in a long time though; I'll have to keep a lookout for those longhair swim caps. I wonder if they'd have them in the local 'swim shop' type places. I'll have to go look!
My hair gets in the way sometimes when it's down (even in braids), I can't imagine what would happen trying to swim with it! It's almost hip length, and I can just picture it trying to wrap itself around my neck or arms and trying to sink me. :p

Mine used to get blonder in the summer when I would go swimming/out in the sun a lot, and would sometimes get a tinge of green. Not quite going for that look now though. :)

JuneBride
January 22nd, 2011, 07:48 PM
How To Protect Your Hair Whilst Swimming

Since dry hair acts like a sponge the minute it comes in contact with moisture- absorbing it quick and deep- the best way to protect your hair before swimming is to wet it thoroughly with non-chlorinated water. This way your hair will absorb the "safe" water and once you get in the pool your hair will be too saturated with clean water to absorb much chlorine. It is also a good idea to exit the pool every thirty minutes or so and rinse your hair with clean, non-chlorinated water. This helps keep the saturation of chlorine to a minimum, especially if you plan on swimming for long periods at a time.

Another way to protect your hair from absorbing too much chlorine is to coat it with a thin layer of conditioner or oil before going for a swim. Simply comb your favourite conditioner or a small amount of baby oil, coconut oil, or olive oil through your hair before swimming. The oil will repel the water and seal the cuticle of the hair shaft acting as a barrier between the chlorinated water and your hair.

Perhaps the most effective and easiest option for hair protection is to don a swimming cap. The rubber-like cap will keep your hair safe from the chemicals in the water and keep your hair dry do you are ready to go immediately after your swim. No blow-drying, styling, or fuss necessary.

Finally, you can further protect your hair from the damaging effects of swimming pools by washing it after every swim. Immediately after swimming rinse your hair with warm, non-chlorinated water for three to five minutes. Next, wash it thoroughly with a clarifying shampoo. Towel your hair until it is just damp and then use a wide toothed comb to distribute a leave-in conditioner throughout your hair.

By taking a few minutes before and after each swim to protect your hair you can enjoy your swimming pool time and luxurious locks all summer long!

Full article here: http://www.hairlossexpert.co.uk/protect-hair-swimming.html

Would AVOCADO oil work as well?

rita-rabbit
June 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I have read all the posts about this with great interest. I have naturally curly afro (some parts ringlets others more frizz) past shoulder length hair.

I am a poor swimmer & as such it would be an excellent way for me to regain my figure. I discovered sulphate free shampoo (I use the Body Shop one) after having a Brazillian Keratin treatment last year (I didn't want straight hair just more silky curls) there is no looking back for me: no more dry flakey scalp & hair is less dry too. I do not want to spend out on a new Keratin treatment, however, I do want my hair & scalp to maintain the condition it is currently in.

I have a massive tub of coconut oil & a swimcap. I am also contemplating using/buying: Boots Sun, Swim & Gym Water Resistant Protective Masque. But have no intention of using their shampoo (excuse type getting larger/colours etc am quickly doing this at work). I noticed one comment about not putting anything on hair as it affects the pool water: well maybe then the water will be changed more often - I care much more about my hair than the water!

Any new comments/summary of previous posts welcome. I don't really understand some of the annacronyms/abbreviations being used AVS & cones for instance - explaination of those also v welcome.

rita-rabbit
June 9th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have read all the posts about this with great interest. I have naturally curly afro (some parts ringlets others more frizz) past shoulder length hair.

I am a poor swimmer & as such it would be an excellent way for me to regain my figure. I discovered sulphate free shampoo (I use the Body Shop one) after having a Brazillian Keratin treatment last year (I didn't want straight hair just more silky curls) there is no looking back for me: no more dry flakey scalp & hair is less dry too. I do not want to spend out on a new Keratin treatment, however, I do want my hair & scalp to maintain the condition it is currently in.

I have a massive tub of coconut oil & a swimcap. I am also contemplating using/buying: Boots Sun, Swim & Gym Water Resistant Protective Masque. But have no intention of using their shampoo (excuse type getting larger/colours etc am quickly doing this at work). I noticed one comment about not putting anything on hair as it affects the pool water: well maybe then the water will be changed more often - I care much more about my hair than the water!

Any new comments/summary of previous posts welcome. I don't really understand some of the annacronyms/abbreviations being used AVS & cones for instance - explaination of those also v welcome.

Kome
June 10th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I didn't think about getting my hair wet before entering the pool, but that's is a very good idea. This is what I do...

I saturate my hair in Coconut oil and then pigtail french braid my hair. It makes a HUGE difference on how my hair feels later and I swam for like 4 hours today... actual swim time in the water. I LOVE to swim, but unfortunately it leads to some dry, tangly hair. I can only do so much. :P