PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else...

Medievalmaniac
August 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Find him or herself getting incredibly tense whenever anything happens that could possible damage that hard-earned hair since joining the LHC? For example, being short with DH or the kids about pulling on it, etc.? For the past week or so, it REALLY bothers me when the kids accidentally pull on it or when DH grabs it...I never cared before, but now it makes me NUTS! I guess it's being more aware...anyone else find this to be the case?

AmyJorgensen
August 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Yes, I notice every hair stressor more since joining.

InTheCity
August 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Yes! For some reason I'm afraid to rest my head on my microfiber couch thinking it's a little harsh (since it isn't my satin pillowcase.)

Kat
August 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
OMG, yes...I've turned into one of those chicks who goes in the pool and says "OMG I DON'T WANT TO GET MY HAIR WET!!" Not because I'm afraid of damage, but if I get it wet and then don't wash it (even if with just plain water) it tangles horribly. Then if I wash it, it takes forever to dry. Then more forever to detangle it...

I'll put my hair in the pool if I was planning to wash that day anyway...otherwise, I gotta go all high-maintenance chick about it and refuse to get it wet.

Naamah
August 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Yes, I'm pretty obsessive over my hair now. It's a little ridiculous sometimes. I'm always making sure that what I'm doing won't hurt my hair in any way.

Medievalmaniac
August 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! And, I'm so much more observant about the condition of it - oh my God, does it feel a little dry? I can't tell if it feels drier today than yesterday. Is it shinier than it was? I think the oil is working. Did that section of hair look that much shorter than the rest of it a few days ago? I don't remember seeing the layers so clearly. Is it longer yet? It looks a little longer...I think it might be longer...! AGHA! It's crazy-making sometimes! lol

Alia
August 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I have horrid visions of getting into an accident and having my head shaved...not of getting hurt/killed, just loss of hair. Priorities...:rolleyes:

Shiva
August 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I've gotta add that I've been all freaked out about having my head on a silk pillowcase when I sleep now.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/skeerd.gif

noelgirl
August 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Yes! Every time my hair gets caught on something, like the back of my seat on the train, I get so mad (don't always show it, but I do). And if even a couple of strands break, I get really mad at myself for letting that happen.

Susana
August 13th, 2009, 08:58 PM
A bit since when I get tangles or see split ends I almost always dart for the scissors. I care a lot more about tangles now than I did before.

halo_tightens
August 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Alia-- totally with you on the accident fears!! I actually told my husband that if I were somehow to have an accident and wind up in a lengthy coma, DO NOT let anyone cut my hair! I thought it might be a pleasant surprise to wake up to find a couple more inches of growth that would be, for me, seemingly instantaneous.

Yeah, I feel a little silly about my priorities too, lol. But wouldn't that be a cheery little perk after a nasty accident?!

Sissy
August 13th, 2009, 09:32 PM
yeah... I feel that way if my husband pets my hair lol or if I accidentally lean over the burner while making tea or when my dogs jump at it snagging their paws through it :) I think it's natural to feel this way.

wahmof9
August 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
YEP...I am a true addict...never did anything addictive before but I am hooked. So much so that when I mix anything - or order anything...- DH and the kids ask "is this for your hair?"

Today I was making muffin batter and DH asked if it was for my hair! I must be really bad! LOL

Arctic_Mama
August 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Glad to see I'm not alone in my neuroses!

Gumball
August 13th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Oh yeah! It's especially prevalent when it comes to the pool and any time when I'm out and it's windy (less now since I bun my hair every day, but still because my baby hairs and short terminal hairs will go WILD and make me look like a mad scientist). Regarding the pool it's a little due to the chlorine fear (having to shampoo afterward, even if I douse my hair in water and then oil or condition it beforehand), as well as my fear of having to deal with untangling it afterward since I'm sure even in a braid if my hair were to then get wet and moved around in water it would become difficult.

angelthadiva
August 13th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah, a lot more protective of my hair. I *thought* I was before, but no where near how I am now! :o

Aditi
August 14th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Yes after joining LHC i have become so aware of the things which damages hair strands that sometimes my family think i am nutty or something :dizzy:

Medievalmaniac
August 14th, 2009, 04:30 AM
ohhh, the tangles situation! My GOD! lol My husband just last night watched me for about five minutes separating out and carefully wiggling free each individual hair from a fairly small tangle that a month ago I would have just combed my fingers through. He shook his head and soberly proclaimed: "You're sick, you need a program" and walked away. I laughed so hard! Especially when my older daughter (5 year old) said to him, "But daddy, you can't just rip the tangle out because it will break your hair!" she's getting as into this as I am! lol

Personally, I would think my husband would be delighted to see me take a temporary pause from my usual medieval - anything obsession. Then again, I guess the hair falls into that category broadly! lol

wahmof9...that's hilarious! Mine isn't that bad yet, although he does think the coconut oil is just weird. Wait until he sees me spreading herbs and henna all over my hair someday! lolol

plaidprincess
August 14th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Since I've started wearing updos more to protect my hair my cat has become more and more interested in it. He jumps on the back of the sofa and bats my hairsticks and just attacks my buns, unprovoked! I now tense up when the cat gets near me - this is ruining our relationship! :rolleyes:

Rentlle
August 14th, 2009, 05:36 AM
hahahahaha plaidprincess... :lol:

gosh, been there!!!
After I go to the swimming pool/lake/swimming anywhere, i HAVE to shower XD
then I put A LOT of conditioning in my hair and stay there LONG time.. XD
Even when I'm with friends and they go to drink something, i realy have to shower.. can't stand the tought of having chloride in my hair XD

Leoneska
August 14th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Oh yes - when I joined this forum, first thing I did was throw away all cone products. Then I inspected my combs and brushes and hair toys and threw away most of it.
I bought a silk pillowcase and wooden combs and a pair of expensive hair scissors, which I always carry with me.
I get particularly paranoid when I put on a shirt with a tight neck..

Marika
August 14th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Yes, I'm definitely more protective and aware of my hair. However, I'm not that obsessed with my hair anymore... Now I'm more addicted to hairtoys (I even dream about them)!:D

JamieLeigh
August 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I've definitely noticed my hair hazards a lot more lately, but I think I should probably pre-date it to about June of last year, although I only joined LHC in October. That was when I really started trying to find a good haircare routine that worked for me and my busy-mom lifestyle. So I definitely started noticing when I brushed too hard and heard a snap, or when hair would come out along with my ponytail holder. :(

Hair-awareness can be a good thing, but sometimes it can be stressful if you think about it too much.

Konstifik
August 14th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Yes definatley! Just today a friend wanted to comb and braid my hair. She didn't comb very gently - just rushed through the tangles. Didn't braid carefully either. A few years ago, I wouldn't care, but now when I heard a strand snap, I shivered with horror inside. Maybe I'm nuts too. :)

mugglemomof3
August 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I'm a little more freaked out but I still don't take as good of care of my hair as I should, so I guess that tempers my paranoia some. My biggest deal is how hard it is and how long it takes for me to get my hair any sort of "straight" as I'm a 2c and try not to use the blowdryer or flatiron anymore. So if it's "straight" - usually after drying it in various buns over the course of two days and being super careful with it, if I get any moisture near my hair at all I freak. I used to make fun of those girls who couldn't go out in light rain without an umbrella. Now I'm one of them! :rollseyes: