PDA

View Full Version : Donating hair?

CowgirlKate
August 12th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Last time I got my hair cut they took off about 13" and I had it donated to Locks of Love. Recently I have heard that they aren't the best place to donate to. I am thinking about cutting my hair and donating it again but I am not sure where. What are some reputable places that I could send it that would actually use the hair?

systemaurora
August 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Do you want short hair again? If so I'm sure some people can help with agencies. I just thought I'd pop in to mention that it's okay to have long hair just because you want to. :) You're not a selfish person for *not* donating it. I know a lot of time we get comments about how we should, so I just wanted to tell you that! If you still want to donate and have short hair, good luck! :) You're a much stronger person than I am. <3

CowgirlKate
August 12th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Do you want short hair again? If so I'm sure some people can help with agencies. I just thought I'd pop in to mention that it's okay to have long hair just because you want to. :) You're not a selfish person for *not* donating it. I know a lot of time we get comments about how we should, so I just wanted to tell you that! If you still want to donate and have short hair, good luck! :) You're a much stronger person than I am. <3

I have been thinking about cutting it. The thing is I like it both at shoulder length and where it is now, down to my butt. Although it can be a little of hassle to take care of it being as long as it is. I am just being indecisive about cutting it. When I do end up cutting it, why not donate it? I don't need/want to keep it.

RuthieAnne
August 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
You don't have to donate it you know. ;-) [hair trading site...url removed to prevent linking and backtracking/mods] This is where I will go if I ever have to cut my hair. Someone just got $2600 for a nice piece of hair. Can you imagine what all of us LHC people would get on there? :-D

As far as LOL, it is not a bad organization. I gave them 14 inches 4 years ago and do not regret it. I will say that their site is misleading. They imply that your hair will go to a cancer kid. In fact, they only give wigs to kids with permanent hair loss and sell most of the stuff they get for research.

I would recommend, sell your hair and give some money to the charity of your choice. You worked hard for this hair, you deserve to get something back from it! :-)

God bless,

~Ruth

CowgirlKate
August 12th, 2009, 11:59 PM
You don't have to donate it you know. ;-) [hair trading site...url removed to prevent linking and backtracking/mods] This is where I will go if I ever have to cut my hair. Someone just got $2600 for a nice piece of hair. Can you imagine what all of us LHC people would get on there? :-D

As far as LOL, it is not a bad organization. I gave them 14 inches 4 years ago and do not regret it. I will say that their site is misleading. They imply that your hair will go to a cancer kid. In fact, they only give wigs to kids with permanent hair loss and sell most of the stuff they get for research.

I would recommend, sell your hair and give some money to the charity of your choice. You worked hard for this hair, you deserve to get something back from it! :-)

God bless,

~Ruth

Thanks for the link to that site. I have never heard of doing that before. Is there that much of a market for hair? I wonder how much I could get for mine?:hmm:

irishcurls
August 13th, 2009, 12:08 AM
There is a city in Brazil where they have hair theifs. They run around and cut off womens hair with a machete. Then they sell it because the market is so big. I think you would get alot of money for your hair. I also think its a good idea to sell your hair and then donate to your choice of charity. There is a brand new animal shelter here in Texas and I would donate to them. They go to the pound and pick up the "last chance dogs" and then take the time to find homes for them. They gave up a very good business to do this. I would give my money to them. I dont however think I could actually cut my hair once it gets long. I think I will get to attached since i have never had long hair.

systemaurora
August 13th, 2009, 01:14 AM
HOLY HAIRY DEAL BATMAN. D: [hair trading site...url removed to prevent linking and backtracking/mods] is my new favourite site. From now on I am pretty much never straightening my hair again, forget colouring or perming it! Wow. In a year or two I could sell it!

As nice as long hair is, I could really use the money. Besides, I've always wanted to have long, straight blonde hair... I could use some of the money to get a nice wig! Geez, $2600 would pay off almost all of my medical expenses. That would be worth it to me. Also my hair is so hard to manage... thank you so much for the link to that site and wow I definitely learned something. Long hair is more than just pretty... it can be an investment!

Toadstool
August 13th, 2009, 03:44 AM
There is a city in Brazil where they have hair theifs. They run around and cut off womens hair with a machete. Then they sell it because the market is so big.

Good heavens!

There is a brand new animal shelter here in Texas and I would donate to them. They go to the pound and pick up the "last chance dogs" and then take the time to find homes for them. They gave up a very good business to do this..

Oh I am so glad there are places like this. My dog is a rescue dog. I can't bear it that there are places that put healthy dogs down. I don't know if they do that here (UK), i think they look after them till they can find them a home. I hope I'm not being naive.

JamieLeigh
August 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I agree that there is nothing wrong with growing beautiful long hair for your own enjoyment. There is no excuse for the people who try to make others feel bad for doing something that they enjoy, and try to make them believe they are selfish for doing so. It's like saying, "that's a nice car you have - you should donate it to charity!" :rolleyes:

I also agree that if you're determined to cut and want to do a nice thing with your hair, sell it and give the money to a charity. There is a much better chance that a monetary contribution will be used, than a braid of hair.

Good luck with your decision! It's very admirable that you want to make a difference in the world. Just make sure you're doing it because YOU want to, and not because of peer pressure. :)

amaiaisabella
August 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I believe Pantene's Beautiful Lengths is a good program should you choose to donate :)

Islandgrrl
August 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Kinda off the topic here, but I got the, "you should donate your hair to LoL" comment about 30 minutes ago at the eye doc's office. From the receptionist. :nono:

Sigh.....I was a bad islandgrrl....I told her I couldn't donate because they don't take chemically treated hair. :bigeyes: No, boys and girls, my hair isn't chemically treated. But SHE doesn't know that!

neon-dream
August 13th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Kinda off the topic here, but I got the, "you should donate your hair to LoL" comment about 30 minutes ago at the eye doc's office. From the receptionist. :nono:

Sigh.....I was a bad islandgrrl....I told her I couldn't donate because they don't take chemically treated hair. :bigeyes: No, boys and girls, my hair isn't chemically treated. But SHE doesn't know that!

Hahaha I love it :D

KarpatiiSiv
August 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Brillant response. :D

Carolyn
August 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Sigh.....I was a bad islandgrrl....I told her I couldn't donate because they don't take chemically treated hair. :bigeyes: No, boys and girls, my hair isn't chemically treated. But SHE doesn't know that!We (long haired people) shouldn't be put in a position of having to defend or lie to justify having our hair long. I think I would have said something to fry her ears :rant: But that's just me. The older I get, the less crap I take from people.

Laylah
August 13th, 2009, 09:00 PM
A good charity is "Matter of Trust". They use hair to absorb oil spills and prevent the oil from spreading.