PDA

View Full Version : Summer Fade?

horseprincess
August 12th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Usually my hair gets a little bit lighter during the summer monthes, but this year my hair is almost to a dark blonde! I don't like it. I miss having a darker, richer brown. The thing is, my Mom told me that it will all fade back to my "natural" color in the fall. Is this true? :shocked:

Elphie
August 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM
If your hair has been lightened by the sun, then no, it won't fade back, sorry. Your natural color will grow in and will appear darker because of the contrast.

Igor
August 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
If your hair has been lightened by the sun, then no, it won't fade back, sorry. Your natural color will grow in and will appear darker because of the contrast.

What she said. But you can protect your hair from fading in the summer with hats, products with UV filters and different leave in products

horseprincess
August 12th, 2009, 10:58 PM
hmmm. I'm interested. What kind of leave in products?

CowgirlKate
August 13th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I agree with what everyone else said. Once your hair is sun bleached it won't go back to the original color.

Madame J
August 13th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I don't spend a lot of time outside except when I'm running, and I noticed that my ends would fade a lot in the summer (I wore a baseball cap to shade my eyes with the ponytail sticking out the back), so I bought a UV-protective Buff, which is a multi-purpose head-covering thingy (Google "buff" and it's the first hit). If you have one activity that keeps you outside more than normal, I would suggest physically covering your hair for it. If you have dark hair, and use a light-colored covering, it should help you feel cooler, as it will reflect some of the heat your hair would absorb.

Lilli
August 13th, 2009, 08:01 AM
My hair does this, so that I end up with stripes of hair color: a dark silvery-gray-blonde during the winter, and a lighter brassier blonde during the summer. I used Sheer Blonde Go Blonder shampoo to even it all out lighter. But that won't help you. Maybe you could try one of those color-depositing shampoos?

yellowchariot
August 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I was wondering the same thing. I've been out in the sun almost everyday doing yard work. I hadn't noticed until I reviewed the pics in my own album that my hair has taken on lighter colors lol. This is very evident in my "banded ponytail" pic.

IMO I think it adds uniqueness.

plainjanegirl
August 13th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I wish my hair would lighten up a bit, but I'm not outside enough and when I am out it's normally braided.

plainjanegirl
August 13th, 2009, 08:38 AM
My hair does this, so that I end up with stripes of hair color: a dark silvery-gray-blonde during the winter, and a lighter brassier blonde during the summer. I used Sheer Blonde Go Blonder shampoo to even it all out lighter. But that won't help you. Maybe you could try one of those color-depositing shampoos?

I recently tried that conditioner and didn't notice a difference in my hair. Did you leave it on for an extended period of time?

Lilli
August 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I recently tried that conditioner and didn't notice a difference in my hair. Did you leave it on for an extended period of time?

I stopped using the conditioner because I can't have conditioner at my roots or it makes my hair flat, so because it was only going on the ends, it was worsening the banded effect. So I only used the shampoo - I left it on for a few minutes every day for a week, and then maintained the lightening by using it once a week for a few minutes. Plus, this helped lighten the roots only, which is where it was darker. Also, my hair is lighter than yours to begin with, so maybe that is the problem? All it has is lactic acid, so my theory is that it is really just cleaning off any buildup, but someone did notice that my hair was lighter, so maybe it does work. It hasn't affected my hair's health, though, so I like it.

Carrie Ingalls
August 13th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I don't spend a lot of time outside except when I'm running, and I noticed that my ends would fade a lot in the summer (I wore a baseball cap to shade my eyes with the ponytail sticking out the back), so I bought a UV-protective Buff, which is a multi-purpose head-covering thingy (Google "buff" and it's the first hit). If you have one activity that keeps you outside more than normal, I would suggest physically covering your hair for it. If you have dark hair, and use a light-colored covering, it should help you feel cooler, as it will reflect some of the heat your hair would absorb.

I would like to echo those suggesting covering your hair if you are going to be outside for extended periods of time or on a regular basis. My job requires me to be out side in the sun a lot and I also purchased a UV Buff that I wear everyday at work.

Also if your hair is going to be out in the sun with it covered you could also use the opportunity to oil it.