PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted attention

avoidinreality
August 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I started training to become a certified nursing assistant recently and one of our skills is "hair care". The practice of this skill consists of raking a small, cheap, thin toothed comb through each others hair. Granted we are taught to go from tips to roots and in sections, but I am really beginning to hate this part of the course. Because of my long hair (that is free from mousse, gel and hairspray) I am almost a permanent "fake patient". :brickwall I didn't want this kind of attention.

I am lucky that most of the students are pretty gentle....but notice I did say "most". One week to go and then I have my scalp back!

Lady Mary
August 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM
:sad Ugh, how awful! I am happy for you that it is almost over. I am not sure I'd have been able to deal with people touching my hair (and mine isn't exactly impressive!)

free_hug
August 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Aw, poor you. Well, if you're almost always one - do you think it would be rude to just say once or twice that this time you don't want to be one? I mean, they'll probably understand... And maybe there's some other people with longish hair who want some attention too ;)

Calista
August 13th, 2009, 02:33 AM
You could either say that your head starts to hurt from constant combing, or you could bring your own comb. Or clench your teeth and hope for the week to be over soon! :)

magpielaura
August 13th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Braid your hair into some sort of style that looks too time consuming to interfere with or put back! It is not fair that you have to endure the most "haircare". You could always tell them that you are trying a hair care experiment to minimise washing and haven't used shampoo in 3 weeks...seems to creep out a lot of people, regardless of how the hair actually looks!

One more week! Congratulations in advance!:cheese:

SimplyLonghair
August 13th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I can really understand your pain.

We didn't do so much of the hair combing stuff, but during clincals we could not have any hair that was loose or being a halo without it being confined. I used the most aloe gel that I had in a long time. I lost way too much hair during that time.

I would simply say the next time it comes up, that you had a sore scalp and were doing like a patient would do and exercising your right to say, "No, I don't want my hair combed." It is after all their right.

Good luck and it is a great field, I am working toward getting into nursing school now and on from there. :D

JamieLeigh
August 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I can understand your pain! I love to have my hair played with, but having it pawed through by random people and NOT for my own enjoyment is something I wouldn't be able to handle.

Thank goodness you're patient! (no pun intended......)

cindy58
August 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
It's only fair that others take their turn at being the patient! If being free of styling products is such an issue, they can come to class with "bare hair" on their day!

PhillyGirl1978@
August 13th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I started training to become a certified nursing assistant recently and one of our skills is "hair care". The practice of this skill consists of raking a small, cheap, thin toothed comb through each others hair. Granted we are taught to go from tips to roots and in sections, but I am really beginning to hate this part of the course. Because of my long hair (that is free from mousse, gel and hairspray) I am almost a permanent "fake patient". :brickwall I didn't want this kind of attention.

I am lucky that most of the students are pretty gentle....but notice I did say "most". One week to go and then I have my scalp back!

Hell....with that kind of comb and unless my hair was soaking wet....that wouldn't work for me. And best believe I wouldn't let them try!!lol

brista
August 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Assuming this is happening as part of the classroom time, I'd approach the teacher before/after class, and let her know that you'd rather not be the patient anymore. Then I'd wear my hair up in complicated-looking ways so people will know to keep their hands off!

Yayasmurf
August 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Bless your heart. I would never have been able to sit still for that. I have not come to a place yet where I am comfortable with anyone brushing or combing my hair. Maybe it comes from my Mom pulling me bald when I was a little girl with tangles in my hair. :rolleyes:

I will be thinking of you. Good luck with your classes:bottomsup:

Sissy
August 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
oh sorry to hear of this. You should just tell them how you feel about this. I wouldn't want my hair being brushed too much or harshly as it can damage it.