PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that bad?

Freestyler
August 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been chemically dyeing my hair for about 6 years now, but for some reason my hair is kinda resistant to dye (after a month it's already gone).
I've been thinking about using henna/indigo, but I'm afraid to use it since I have to grow it out if I don't want it anymore.
My natural color is dark ashblondish, but I just don't like it :(
Is chemical dye (not bleach, just a color) really that bad for hair?

Freestyler
August 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
And with chemical dyeing, I mean that you only do the roots so no over-dyeing

Nightshade
August 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Keep in mind that many permanent dyes that are "just color" still bleach hair in a one step process :( Found that out when I took ColorFix to my red hair and found out it was blonde underneath though I'd never used bleach.

Yes, really, it is that bad, though how bad depends on your hair type. I chemical dyed from 11-23 and though it held up fine for awhile, in the end it broke from hip to BSL and was a mass of hay.

There's many other deposit-only colors that you can use other than henna or indigo (and you're wise to not jump into that if you're not sure). I forget the brand, but Iris uses one that she has great success with, and it causes little to no damage.

If she or someone who knows the brand doesn't stop by you could always ask her directly!

twilight_faerie
August 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I think it really depends on your hair. Some people's hair is really resilient and can take that kind of abuse without getting nasty. I know there are some people on this forum who have long, chemically dyed hair and their hair is just gorgeous. Also, babying your hair after dyeing it helps lessen the amount of damage done.

klcqtee
August 12th, 2009, 05:53 PM
When I use demi permenant dyes (supposed to wash out in 28 washes), it didn't damage my hair nearly as much as regular dye. Of course, my hair loves dye, so after 28 washes the BLACK dye was still going strong! 3 years later it still was black.

It's amazing to me that your hair would allow any dye to fade out so quickly...unless you've been trying to dye it red.

amaiaisabella
August 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM
On the one hand, I've seen people who's hair is so hardy, it can take repeated chemical dying all the way through (my mom being one of them), but on the other, I'd say if you carefully maintain your hair- deep conditioning, updos to avoid breakage, I think the damage can be minimal. For me, any chemical color was bad, as my hair is so fine and prone to damage that it simply can't take it. For stronger hair like my mom's family (why couldn't I inherit that?), it takes quite a bit to even put a dent in their hair.

I'd say, keep doing root only touch-ups, random run-throughs, and deep conditioning/oiling/whatever you need to keep it moisturized and strong, and updos can't hurt.

Freestyler
August 13th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Thanks for all your help, I'm now thinking about using semi/demi-permanent hairdye
And yes, my hair is really weird when it comes to dye, when I dye it (dark)brown it just fades away after a month to a light orange brassy color, but since my hair is fine it can't take it anymore (and it's only apl-ish), and I also remember doing semi-permanent in the past (before I was allowed to use the real thing) and then the color stayed for quite a while so maybe semi/demi-permanent hairdye is a better option for me :)

Isilme
August 13th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I'd say it depends on which colour you want, if you want red go for henna:) But be sure to research it before you mud your head;)

Freestyler
August 13th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Yeah, I like red hair but I heard that henna is really hard to get out of hair/to dye over, so I have to think about that first ;)

Nightshade
August 13th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I like red hair but I heard that henna is really hard to get out of hair/to dye over, so I have to think about that first ;)

Actually it isn't really hard at all...

It's damn-near impossible :lol:

Lilli
August 13th, 2009, 07:58 AM
As someone with dark blonde hair who considered dyeing it, let me tell you what was told me - don't dye it. Your hair is telling you something - it doesn't like dye and won't hold it. So you're going to have to keep doing it, and each time it will damage it more. And you will be frustrated. A couple of things that have helped me: 1) the Sheer Blonde Go Blonder shampoo - it puts in lighter highlights without damage; and 2) try a new style for a change, and it will kill the urge to dye it.

misspriss
August 13th, 2009, 08:06 AM
My hair is resistant to dye as well. My hair is naturally dark brown, I have dyed it every color under the sun, but usually black. It fades in a month or so.

I don't think my hair is telling me that I shouldn't dye it. I think it is my excessive conditioner use, since I CO most of the time. Also, if anything, it is telling me the color didn't go that deep if it comes right out.

I've been dying my hair for a while, but off and on. I don't think it does terrible damage, but I don't think it's great for your hair either.

ETA: Semi/Demi color does nothing for my hair, you can't even see it. But my hair is dark to start out with.