PDA

View Full Version : Need help with the ends.

merseaone
August 12th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I have baby fine hair and the ends of my hair look awful! They look dry and damaged. I was swimming a lot but have only gone once or twice in the last month. For the most part I CO every day and now started putting Aloe on the hair. What can I do besides cut all the damaged looking ends off?:scissors::run: My hair always has done this once it gets long.

Reptilia
August 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM
It seems to me that there is still some sort of damage you're doing to your hair, so by the time it gets long, you have to cut it because the ends are too damaged worth saving.

Mine did this when I was using too many heat styling products (flat iron as the main culprit!) and wearing my hair down all the time exposing the ends. Also ripping a brush through it and breaking off the ends.

You'll need to figure out what is causing the damage, and then stop doing that!

Aunteater
August 12th, 2009, 12:45 PM
It seems to me that there is still some sort of damage you're doing to your hair, so by the time it gets long, you have to cut it because the ends are too damaged worth saving.

Mine did this when I was using too many heat styling products (flat iron as the main culprit!) and wearing my hair down all the time exposing the ends. Also ripping a brush through it and breaking off the ends.

You'll need to figure out what is causing the damage, and then stop doing that!

I don't know, I have never used any heat styling tools-- no blow dryers, no curling irons, none of it. And my ends still get like that. I think it's something to do with having fine hair. I've had good luck getting the ends to behave by using a drop of jojoba oil just on the ends. It doesn't repair them, but it does keep them from doing the velcro thing.

spidermom
August 12th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Unless you don't mind uneven and sometimes tattered-looking ends, trimming is a must after awhile. As small an amount as 1/2-inch can make a huge difference in how your ends look and feel.

eternallyverdan
August 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Depending on what you CO with you might have some buildup-- I would try clarifying and then doing a deep moisturizing treatment-- there are a lot of great recipes on the boards like SMT (Snowymoon's treatment with conditioner, honey, and aloe) or caramel treatments. Do a bit of experimenting before you just chop it-- there are a lot of wonderful things that you can try.

Naturel
August 12th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Depending on what you CO with you might have some buildup-- I would try clarifying and then doing a deep moisturizing treatment-- there are a lot of great recipes on the boards like SMT (Snowymoon's treatment with conditioner, honey, and aloe) or caramel treatments. Do a bit of experimenting before you just chop it-- there are a lot of wonderful things that you can try.

Good advices. You can also wear your hair up more to protect your ends.

HairColoredHair
August 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I suggest, before a trim or anything even more drastic, to clarify your ends, probably with shampoo. Usually when I get icky ends it's MOSTLY buildup. Even cone-free conditioners could have ingredients that build up, and oils can build up... and I KNOW aloe builds up on me (or maybe it just attracts lint that tangles my hair, I'm not sure.)

pixiedoo
August 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM
When my ends have looked really dry in the past, usually after I have had my hair coloured, I have done a deep protein treatment and they have returned to being soft and moisturised. I know that too much protein can make your ends dry but I find if my ends are dry then that means I need some!! My hair loves protein as long as I don't over do it.

I use Redken Extreme Cat and it has worked wonders before sorting out my frazzled ends and length. I apply it after shampoo, leave on for 5 minutes, rinse and then repeat two more times before conditioning.

Autumnberry
August 12th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I don't know, I have never used any heat styling tools-- no blow dryers, no curling irons, none of it. And my ends still get like that. I think it's something to do with having fine hair. I've had good luck getting the ends to behave by using a drop of jojoba oil just on the ends. It doesn't repair them, but it does keep them from doing the velcro thing.

I have quit using heat styling tools long ago, and my baby fine hair still splits. However, it would be ten times worse with heat styling or bleach/peroxide coloring.

Merseaone, have you read Nightshades article on preventing hair damage? Check it out in the articles section. And don't despair--over time you'll find what preventative measures are practical for you, and your ends will get healthier and healthier! :)

merseaone
August 12th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I don't use hot irons or anything like that on the back of my hair only the front when I want to curl it. I've been thinking about the conditioners I use... I use Verseo which helps my hair to grow and haven't had any problems like this before. I have used Mane Conditioner several times on my hair - I bet that is the problem, every time I use it my hair feels rough. I had been told that Mane Shampoo and Conditioner makes your hair grow, too but it must not be a good product for me. Baby Fine hair gets damaged so easily. I haven't been wearing my hair up lately, is there a reason why I should? When I do wear it up I use those double sided combs made with beads which looks lovely in the hair.

Renbirde
August 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Baby Fine hair gets damaged so easily. I haven't been wearing my hair up lately, is there a reason why I should? When I do wear it up I use those double sided combs made with beads which looks lovely in the hair.
EZ-Combs, you mean?

Yes, you should wear your hair up if you want to minimize mechanical damage. When the hair is confined in an updo, it can't tangle, and it's kept out of the way-- it doesn't rub on your back or chairs, it doesn't get caught in the car door, it doesn't get attacked by the dog, it doesn't get dragged through the cooking, it doesn't get attacked by the mad flatiron salespeople at the mall... (I think you get my point. :P)

You might think about getting some hairsticks. Many of them are quite beautiful, and they hold just about any updo. Chopstics work, and you can get them very cheaply. ($2 USD for a pair)

Sissy
August 12th, 2009, 04:30 PM
These are all good suggestions. Here is a link to Nightshades Damaged Hair thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Sometimes people just have to do like monthly micro self trims until the damage is gone. My ends tend to split and break and this is probably because I still use brushes at times and I used to flat iron and still do use a hair dryer sometimes. Also, I wear my hair down ALL the time. Things I do is try to keep conditioned, avoid the hair dryer, and use a satin pillow case. Using catnip tea is supposed to really help too. I have tried it a few times but I haven't tried it faithfully enough to be sure. However, others here use it (Ktani for one) often and hardly get splits anymore!

kdaniels8811
August 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I have used catnip tea soaks to prevent my fine, easily damaged hair from breaking and splitting. Plain old pet store quality catnip, steep a teaspoon in a mug until it cools to room temperature, strain out leaves and pour the rest over your hair. I put the length in a plastic baggie to really let it soak in for a half hour then rinse. The soaking seems to make the difference, I have given up using conditioner and just use this method for conditioning. There is a quite long thread about this. Good luck!

JamieLeigh
August 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I have to do microtrims every month to keep my ends from looking dry. I don't know if it just has to do with hairtype or what (mine is very fine also, but I've got a 3" circumference which camouflages that pretty well), but I trim at least this much ----> _ every month, and usually that does the job and keeps my ends looking and feeling fresh. It's surprising how much difference a tiny trim like that can make. I don't feel I'm sacrificing growth at all, and I also S&D regularly (once every month at least) so that I can stay on top of my splits.

I should also add that I'm maintaining a blunt hemline (or was until recently - it's starting to get sort of a u-shape, which I'm kinda digging :D). If you're more interested in fairytale than you are a trimmed hemline, the microtrims might not be for you.

merseaone
August 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
My hair is silky, hair sticks won't stay in.

Renbirde
August 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Do you use cones? I recently switched to no-cone, and my sticks stay better. Also, sticks with a satiny finish hold better than those with a glassy finish. I made a few recently out of driftwood-- they work extremely well.

If the sticks are falling through your hair, you might try thicker sticks, sticks with a flare on the end, or a fork.

merseaone
August 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
What is S&D?

jivete
August 14th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Since fine hair damages more easily and thinner hair shows damage more easily, you may just be fighting a difficult battle. I have super-duper fine hair and a modest circumference at 2.5" and I just have to be very careful. My hair can't handle much before it breaks and that include too frequent washing, too hot water, etc.

Preventing damage is the key. I was suprised by how many things are actually too damaging for my hair.

merseaone
August 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM
What did you find damaging?

Years ago I used only Aussie products and my hairdresser was amazed at how healthy my hair was considering that I permed and highlighted it all the time.

Renbirde
August 14th, 2009, 11:45 PM
What is S&D?
S&D is short for Search and Destroy -- using extremely sharp hairdresser's scissors to trim out split ends one by one. It removes the damaged hair and leaves the healthier hairs intact. It doesn't decrease overall length like a normal trim would, and you can get rid of damage far up your length.

Toadstool
August 15th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I would imagine by 38" it would be hard NOT to have some damage on your ends!:)

SallyLopez
August 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I need to try the catnip tea soak, I think. I've got ends that make me want to cry. OK...shopping list: catnip, trimming shears, coconut oil, clarifying shampoo...

Katze
August 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I suggest, before a trim or anything even more drastic, to clarify your ends, probably with shampoo. Usually when I get icky ends it's MOSTLY buildup. Even cone-free conditioners could have ingredients that build up, and oils can build up... and I KNOW aloe builds up on me (or maybe it just attracts lint that tangles my hair, I'm not sure.)

I get this a lot, and shampooing does help. BUT I also do feel like I have to trim every few months, as Spidermom says.

Unless you don't mind uneven and sometimes tattered-looking ends, trimming is a must after awhile. As small an amount as 1/2-inch can make a huge difference in how your ends look and feel.

This just seems to be part of the reality of having long hair.

Mine too _ make a ponytail and turn the stck in a circle around the base of the stick. When the hair is tightly twisted around the stick, ease the stick back out enough to poke and 'weave' it back through your hair. This is the ONLY method that works for my hair.

I would imagine by 38" it would be hard NOT to have some damage on your ends!:)

I agree! clarifying and a mini trim should do the trick. :)