PDA

View Full Version : people's comments can make you do silly things!

templeofvenus
August 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I have been growing out my fringe as I get some pimples on my forehead specially in summer as my skin is oily! no fringe cures this a lot and hairbands are my friends! :) however someone said aww I liked your fringe where is it and silly me cut it back in :confused: not that it had grown much really so it was not a drastic move! why am I so silly as to listen to comments and lack confidence in myself! other people have said I like you with the fringe back off your face lol :confused: I guess acting on someones comments is a lack of confidence on my part.....which is silly I know.... and its a lesson in do what you like and ignore other people lol and for the record it is again back in a hairband due to the heat so really I should not have cut the fringe back in till winter!

irishcurls
August 12th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I have been known to do that too for the same reasons as you. I just told my boyfriend one day that I am growing my hair out and it is gonna be really long and tough if you dont like it. He was kinda skeptical at first and now he loves it and has join in on the excitement with me. It has even cause him to start conditioning his hair. Just do what you want with your hair and then dont listen to the rest.

ikn
August 12th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Hm yes I know the feeling, at the rare sight of appreciation from someone we often seem to do silly things... If the fringe bothers you I can fully recommend frenchbraiding it along your hairline for a bit to keep it off your forehead every now and then. Might help with the pimples :)

jera
August 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Don't feel bad. We've all done similiar things with the same regretted results. :( You're not alone.

templeofvenus
August 13th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hm yes I know the feeling, at the rare sight of appreciation from someone we often seem to do silly things... If the fringe bothers you I can fully recommend frenchbraiding it along your hairline for a bit to keep it off your forehead every now and then. Might help with the pimples :)

when its long enough I will :) as soon as I keep the hair back off my face the pimples are gone it must just be that I have quite oily hair and skin naturally and in summer the heat under the fringe makes a heat rash type thing! I am just gonna do as I please and not listen to comments from now on :)

Olivia23
August 13th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I'm the same way about pimples on my forehead so I grew mine out. Then I had people saying why did I grow my bangs out and they wouldn't come out and say I looked awful without bangs, but they said it in a round about way.

Isa-belle
August 13th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Yeah, some people kept telling me my hair was hiding my figure when it was at waist so I cut it in a big U shape. Worst mistake ever. As it grew longer, my hair got less full anyway, and didn't "hide" my figure anymore :roll: Besides, those people were judging merely from photographs of my back, which hardly gave them an accurate idea of how my hair really made my figure look. :rolleyes:

It has taken me a year to regain an acceptably full hemline, and I'm not even done yet. My hair would be so much longer today if I'd never listened to these comments. :( Ah, well. Lesson learned.

Now I'm growing my hair the way I want, and I don't care if it doesn't fit other people's standardized vision. My hair, my figure. Don't like it? Look the other way :bigtongue:

embee
August 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I think this is one reason for the LHC "two week rule" - don't do anything drastic (like color or cut or perm) for two weeks - think it over in the privacy of your home without outside pressure.

Curlsgirl
August 13th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I can't tell you how many times I have done the very same thing not only with cuts but with styles. A guy told me I looked like a Grandma when I wore a bun a few weeks ago. I hate buns on me anyway but I have not worn it again since. I have been the same way with straight hair vs. curly. Everyone LOVED the straight hair when I had it blown out. I am trying not to let that bother me and make me think that means they DON'T like it curly. A couple of people were especially vocal in saying, "You should wear it like that ALL the time". :rolleyes: It's me not them. I should NOT let it influence me!

JamieLeigh
August 13th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Lol. :p I've been there. I had dyed my hair black while in high school, and when I grew it back out to my normal brown, I vowed never to touch it with dye again, since it was drier afterwards than it had been before. But several people said I looked better with it black, so silly me dyed it black again. :rolleyes:

However, twice was enough to convince me, and it's been 12 years since I've dyed or even highlighted it. :D

At least you know your style options for what you have to work with. You have headbands, and I bet they look cute. I bet the fringe looks nice too. Some people's faces do look better with fringe. :)

going gray
August 14th, 2009, 10:26 AM
It hasn't been easy, but I've now learned to turn a "deaf ear" to anyones comments or suggestions, even my DH & other family members or friends. No matter how well intended, I want to wear my hair, my way! I no looking want the so called "cute" hairstyle, that's SO in today. I am NOT a trend setter & never will be! That said, I'm NOT an old "hag" either!

Susana
August 14th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Ha Ha, don't worry I think we've all been there and done that:o It's normal to enjoy compliments and try to do the things that get us praise. It's hard to break the habit :)

Heavenly Locks
August 15th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Just remember "You're not here to decorate anyone else's world" :)

(I heard that here at LHC :) )

little_acorn
August 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Just remember "You're not here to decorate anyone else's world" :)

(I heard that here at LHC :) )

Thats a great quote and also a good maxim - if only I can remeber that next time someone says something about my appearance :sigh:

Elainehali
August 16th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I can't tell you how many times I have done the very same thing not only with cuts but with styles. A guy told me I looked like a Grandma when I wore a bun a few weeks ago. I hate buns on me anyway but I have not worn it again since. I have been the same way with straight hair vs. curly. Everyone LOVED the straight hair when I had it blown out. I am trying not to let that bother me and make me think that means they DON'T like it curly. A couple of people were especially vocal in saying, "You should wear it like that ALL the time". :rolleyes: It's me not them. I should NOT let it influence me!

hahaha that's very funny because I get the same thing when I curl my hair. (ragg curls!)

It's because, "the grass is greener on the other side". We should just remember that it's OUR grass, and can wear it however. :rolleyes:

hairymonster
August 16th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I've been there as well although luckily it doesn't happen very often.

The other problem is that I LIKE having a fringe! It takes a lot of willpower not to cut my hair back even though I know fringes would give me pimples all the way down the side of my face where the ends brush my cheeks. Still flip-flopping between cutting and keeping.