PDA

View Full Version : using cones = washing hair daily anyone else?

redneckprincess
August 12th, 2009, 06:15 AM
BEFORE LHC: I didnt know it was a cone / no cone thing I just always had to use the thicker more expensive shampoos (come to find out because they were filled with cones) well shampoo didnt matter but conditioner for sure.

NOW: I went cone free for a bottle of sh /co last month before, and realized that my hair dosent seem to get so greesy so fast with the cone free sh / co. I do realize that the cone free stuff works better now because my hair is less damaged and tourtured. right now I am using up a bottle of mixed shampoos from the remaining bits of several diffrent coney shampoos and a thick coney CO, with that I have noticed my hair seems to be real greesy by the following morning, so I have to shampoo again, right now thats ok with me because Im just trying to use up this bottle so its gone and I can continue experimenting with other shampoos and co. I do believe I will be going cone free though after this. Sometimes (expecally when its this hot like this) I like to shower and wash my hair daily, but some days I just never get around to it, and my hair just gets greesy, oily and generally looks bad.

templeofvenus
August 12th, 2009, 06:39 AM
yep my hair was more greasy with sulfate shampoo and cones, I could stretch the wash to every other day if I wanted to on the no cone routine

Heidi_234
August 12th, 2009, 07:40 AM
The shampoo might have dried your scalp out more than it should have, and so the scalp is reacting by producing more oil to compensate on this. If you're noticing this within such short periods of time, you'll probably have shorter adjustment period which is good new for you. :)

heatherdazy
August 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I don't use shamp or cond with cones, but I do use coney styling products, typically on days 3-4 after shampooing, though.

KiwiLiz
August 12th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I use cones, I find I have the same greasiness you describe only on the hair near my scalp if I apply the coney conditioner there. So I only apply it to the length.

My hair is is just unmanageable without cones, I can't get the tangles out no matter what. So I cone, it means I have to wash more often to get rid of build up and that greasy feeling if I put it too close to my scalp, and I do lots of oil treatments after clarifying to make sure moisture is not getting sealed out. But I figure cone protect my hair from tangles, so less damage on the cones.

It's a matter of finding what is best for you and your hair, it sounds like you're well on your way into experimenting with different methods. Good luck!

SimplyViki
August 12th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Hmm... I'm not sure I've ever noticed a difference. I use cones and sulfates and I wash my hair every 3-4 days. :shrug: I've tried cone-free (I've got to give it a more scientific shot, and make sure I'm doing it right though, I wasn't paying much attention), but I haven't tried sulfate free (well, except for CV bars... those were a hair disaster).

demitasse
August 14th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I recently went back to using cones. When I was shampooing and using a cone-free conditioner, I had to do it daily. But back on an SLES shampoo followed by a coney conditioner, I'm washing every other day.

I've given up trying to fit into the LHC standards. :) My hair clearly marches to the beat of its own loony drummer.

If your hair responds well to something, do it.

Rohele
August 14th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I've never noticed much of a difference, My hair needs to be washed every second day, no matter what I'm using. I switched to no cones and CO and my hair is maybe slightly less greasy by the end of day two, but not enough to make a difference to washing frequency.

teela1978
August 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
no difference for me. if anything my hair gets greasier faster with non-sulfate shampoos. I only put conditioner from my ears down though, so that could affect things.

Jeni
August 14th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I need to wash everyday weather I use cones/no cones or sulfates/no sulfates. My scalp is oily and my hair is flat, nothing I have ever used has changed that.

Roseate
August 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
If I use cones they seem to attract dirt, and the length of my hair feels dirty faster. Not every day, but more like every 3 days instead of once a week. Doesn't seem to affect my scalp's oil production, but I do need to wash more, because the length gets dirtier.