PDA

View Full Version : washing your hair every day, is it OK

juliaxena
August 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I decided to start working out almost daily but whenever I do, my head sweats so much my hair gets wet! After it drys it looks greasy and messy and I can't stand that. Do you think it will be very bad if wash my hair every day?

Heidi_234
August 12th, 2009, 12:24 AM
It is not bad, it just depends on your hair. I would wash mine everyday as it will probably dry it out, but if you hair 'can take it', then why not. Some member here do wash everyday. On the other side, there was a thread a while ago about hair and working out, and some people said they don't wash their hair. Did you tried to comb (or brush with a BBB) the roots to avoid the greasy look?

Quixii
August 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah, honestly, regardless of what my hair can "take" I'm going to wash it after a work out. I only work out four days a week, so it's not every day, but you bet I'm taking a shower after that, and that includes my sweaty hair. It's really gross if I don't wash it.
You could try just rinsing it or trying CO half the time - I've found that COing occasionally instead of the whole shampoo and conditioner still makes my hair feel clean. I haven't tried only rinsing it, though.

Laylah
August 12th, 2009, 01:01 AM
It really depends on the person.

If you'd like to try something less harsh, you could CO or WO everyday, and use shampoo every few days.

frodolaughs
August 12th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I think if your hair is getting really sweaty and dirty from working out it will be less of a problem to wash it every day than if you are just overwashing out of habit. After all, if you wash too often you strip off the oils protecting your hair, but if your hair is actually dirty there's more there to wash off (It's late and I might not have said that very clearly--sorry). You might want to use a really mild shampoo though, or dilute it so that you aren't using any higher strength than you really need.

templeofvenus
August 12th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I think daily washing is fine! I am a daily washer specially as I walk a lot and in summer this makes me hot and hair greasy etc I now use a sulfate free shampoo and they are much more mild on the hair, I find they are far less damaging and drying, therefore you need not worry about frequent washing if using a mild shampoo and good conditioner.

Shadow
August 12th, 2009, 01:42 AM
If it works for you then of course it's okay :)

prettigurl
August 12th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I can cowash daily, but I wouldn't dare use shampoo daily. The most I can shampoo my hair without drying it out is 2-3 times per week

hennaphile
August 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I wash it every day. No problems. Only problems if I don't ;)

Fethenwen
August 12th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Why not just rinse it with water? I certainly wouldn't use shampoo every day.

Rivanariko
August 12th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I have to wash my hair just about every day because I do physical work outside in the heat and dust. My hair doesn't get greasy or gross on its own for several days, but it gets GROSS from everything else that I'm doing. And occasionally the horses like to slobber on my head, and no way am I leaving THAT in my hair. I don't think liquified alfalfa is going to help with growth any...

But washing with shampoo too often hurts my overly fragile hair, and encourages a lot more shedding, so I do one CWC wash a week, then I do one or two other CO washes at some point during the week, and then just rinse with water and scrub my scalp with my fingertips on the other days. It leaves me feeling clean, and unless I get some pretty nasty gunk in it, water is plenty to get out the sweat and dust that gets in it during the day.

juliaxena
August 12th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Rinsing wont get rid of the greasinesss I'm sure. And if I CO it's not nice. My hair looks greasy but ends horrible (if I CO, I use non cone conditioner). At least my ends desperately need cones. And cones require SLS shampoo. My shampoo has SLS but it is still fairly mild. I suppose other ingredients neutralise negative effects from SLS. I suppose I'll just have to try and see. I get the urge to wash it daily because of my hair sticking together the day after wash alone. But now it really looks gross if I don't wash it.

Leoneska
August 12th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I work out a couple of times a week, but I do not wash my hair everytime after workout. I just rinse it and use shampoo about once a week.
If my hair is really greasy, I do use a peasize drop of shampoo for my fringe though (-:

redneckprincess
August 12th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I have noticed that I have to wash my hair every day if I am using a coney shampoo and conditioner, otherwise I can go 2-3 days. I dont know if its a good or bad thing though

GlassEyes
August 12th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Well, if it works out for you.

I CO wash whenever I wash; and that includes work outs. However, if I had straighter hair, I'd just do a water only wash--sweat is water soluble, so you don't need shampoo to be rid of it. xD

However, I can understand wanting that 'clean feeling', so meh.

bttrfly857
August 12th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I've been washing my hair everyday (S&C) for.. forever. My hair is fine and with the greasies it gets after only 24 hours, it's gross. No really problems with my hair. I've done cones, no cones, and am now trying shampoo bars. I haven't had any problems, but I guess it's up to your hair.

Dolly
August 12th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I decided to start working out almost daily but whenever I do, my head sweats so much my hair gets wet! After it drys it looks greasy and messy and I can't stand that. Do you think it will be very bad if wash my hair every day?

I work out daily, and I do at least a scalp wash every day......I just lather the scalp and then let the suds run down the ends....then, I condition......

Dolly
August 12th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Rinsing wont get rid of the greasinesss I'm sure. And if I CO it's not nice. My hair looks greasy but ends horrible (if I CO, I use non cone conditioner). At least my ends desperately need cones. And cones require SLS shampoo. My shampoo has SLS but it is still fairly mild. I suppose other ingredients neutralise negative effects from SLS. I suppose I'll just have to try and see. I get the urge to wash it daily because of my hair sticking together the day after wash alone. But now it really looks gross if I don't wash it.

Cones don't require regular use of an SLS shampoo.....I use shampoo bars or non-SLS shampoos daily, followed by either a coney rinse out conditioner, or a non-cone in the shower, followed by a coney leave-in. My hair needs cones for protection.

I don't have any problems. I just clarify when I start having signs of build-up.

nicolina
August 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I would second the rinsing school of thought. Brush it thoroughly and then wash with water. If you use lots of hot water, it actually comes pretty clean. Ending with a vinegar rinse can help too (I take vinegar water in a plastic Evian bottle).

If you really want to use shampoo, have you tried oiling your hair before you work out? It might help with dryness and prevent stripping too much out of your hair.

jtl45
August 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I run almost every day and I have been a daily shampooer for years. My hair seems to pick up everything possible in the air including 2nd hand smoke which I hate. I occasionally take a day off, but boy am I in bad need by day 2. I do one deep condition a week and seems to work great for me. Also, I do change my shampoo brands every few months.
Jim :)

Rentlle
August 12th, 2009, 07:33 AM
PFffffffff, i don't think it's that good, but if you're very active and your hair gets wet, you can wash it.. Myself, i can't stand greasy hair either :)

renarok
August 12th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I think a light wash with very diluted shampoo, rinsed well and a leave in on your ends will not harm your hair. Good luck

rockey
August 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whenever I do, my head sweats so much my hair gets wet! After it drys it looks greasy and messy and I can't stand that. Do you think it will be very bad if wash my hair every day?

AJoifulNoise
I have an over-active oily scalp (I blame my Mediterranean decent). I CO daily with silicone conditioners then shampoo 2 times a week (once with sulphates, once without). My hair is happy.

I hope you find something that you like. :)

Medievalmaniac
I was the one who started the workout thread a few weeks ago and I got a lot of helpful hints from it. The methods that are working for me are:

1. When I don't have time after my workout to shower and wash/rinse, I leave my hair up, then when it has completely dried from being wet/sweaty I take it down, flip my head over, and working back to front with the bbb sort of wiggle-brush through until it is all smooth again. I have found that this keeps it from looking so "I just worked out and left my hair up" and redistributes any residual oil/grease through the hair, and as long as I am wearing my hair up afterwards it isn't a problem in terms of how it looks.

2. When I do have time to shower, I just rinse it well with warm followed by cool water, but don't necessarily wash it.

3. Alternately, when I plan ahead, then I do my 3 regularly-scheduled washes throughout the week just after I workout. This seems to be working well for me overall, without my having to wash more often than I want to.

Hope that helps!!

rockey
August 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
whenever I do, my head sweats so much my hair gets wet! After it drys it looks greasy and messy and I can't stand that. Do you think it will be very bad if wash my hair every day?

here about the question the annswer of think a light wash with very diluted shampoo, rinsed well and a leave in on your ends will not harm your hair.

I like the answer

Charentais
August 12th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I rinse with water or do a conditioner wash after my hot and sweaty runs.

It helps freshen me up without drying my hair out.

spidermom
August 12th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I think a light wash with very diluted shampoo, rinsed well and a leave in on your ends will not harm your hair. Good luck

I was going to say the same thing. I rinse one day, CO one day, and dilute-shampoo the next. If I'm short on time, I'll even let the sweat dry in my hair one day. I can't do it two days in a row though; it gets disgusting!

longhairedfairy
August 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I shampoo (usually a small amount) my scalp every day and then condition all of it. No problems.:)

teela1978
August 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Some folks have hair that wouldn't respond well to daily washing. If yours is doing alright with it, don't worry about it. One thing I like to do on occasion is a deep oiling while I'm exercising. Letting my hair soak up some coconut oil during my run makes me feel a little less guilty about shampooing more often, makes my ends feel nice too :)

Sissy
August 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I typically shower daily and I have been working out daily so that increases the need for it. If it's the weekend and I don't have to work or go out anywhere I'll leave it for one day without showering but every other day is my max to go without showering. I am prone to dry, fragile hair so I try to CO wash and use a good leave in product. I shampoo only once or twice a week. Doing a deep treatment once a week should help too.