PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff: Fungal and contagious?

systemaurora
August 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM
My 17yo brother got lectured today by a hair stylist about his dandruff. Apparently his washing his hair every other day has caused him to get a fungal case of dandruff? O_o I'd never heard this before, but I do know that my hair completely fell to dandruffy yucky flakes when I tried no 'poo and stretching my washes. She also said it was contagious. Any details on this? I've never heard of it.

liseling
August 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I've never heard of someone getting this from washing hair every other day! I wash my hair way WAY less than that and I've never had any fungal problems. Very strange. Are you both living in the same house? maybe there's something about your environment that is causing such swift fungal activity?

GeoJ
August 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I don't know about it being contagious. My Dad always has had dandruff problems yet my Mom and sister never had it. I have always had trouble with it regardless of whether I wash my hair daily or once a week. I share combs with my DD, who is mostly WO and washes a few times a week and she has never gotten dandruff, neither has my DH. I always assumed there was more to it than simply catching a fungal infection.

The only things that have helped me are ACV, scritching before I wash, and more natural products. These things only work for a few days, though- so I wash to remove the scalp gunk far before my hair gets greasy.

heatherdazy
August 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM
In no way is a hairstylist qualified to diagnose a medical condition. We have absolutely no medical training that could tell us how to diagnose different types of scalp problems. All we can (legally) do is point out what unusual signs we see and refer clients to a dermatologist.

With that little disclaimer, I have to say it is my *opinion* that dandruff is not contagious. If it were, all hairstylists would have it!

mira-chan
August 11th, 2009, 07:14 PM
The fungus that causes dandruff is on everyone's scalp. If you are sensitive to it or something you do or eat (high sugar foods will do that I think) it will overgrow. Everyone has been exposed to it. Though I do not recommend using combs of someone who has a raging case of it just because it will possibly give some irritation if you are susceptible to it.

You only get fungal dandruff if you are sensitive to the fungus, the irritation response to it allows to over grow and produces the flake reaction.

Has the hair dresser cultured his dandruff? If not then how would thy know it's fungal? An assumption is not a good diagnosis. The dandruff could be caused by allergies or saborrhetic dermatitis also. A doctor can diagnose those. That is if this is oily dandruff. If it looks dry then it's likely from dryness and over washing.

This is my educated opinion as a microbiologist.

metalgypsy85
August 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I've never heard of dandruff being contagious.

systemaurora
August 11th, 2009, 07:59 PM
yeah, that's what I figured. Maybe some monistat would help anyways, though? lol. If it'll fix the awful dandruff I've had since going no 'poo I'm up for it... and faster growth would be a nice side effect if it works, eh?

mira-chan
August 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM
yeah, that's what I figured. Maybe some monistat would help anyways, though? lol. If it'll fix the awful dandruff I've had since going no 'poo I'm up for it... and faster growth would be a nice side effect if it works, eh?
If it's fungal monistat would help. If it's something else (allergy, SD, etc) then it won't do anything so it will help show what it's not when figuring out what it is. The side effect isn't bad either. :D

marikamt
August 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
contagious "dandruff" is actually a yeast infection of the scalp (yes, fungal), but not all dandruff is a yeast infection.... and yes, Monsistat will help ;)

systemaurora
August 12th, 2009, 04:58 PM
bought monistat. :) If it helps I may suggest it to my brother. ;) Anyways, I'm crossing my fingers this will clear up the icky dandruff I've had nonstop since going no 'poo AND help me get those last 4 inches!