PDA

View Full Version : to cut or not to cut

jennylouwhoo
August 11th, 2009, 01:12 PM
my hair is apl and it has been dyed black about two weeks ago i tried to color correct it. and now my ends are black and about 10 inches of my roots are a light brown. my ends are so damaged from dying that i want to cut back to shoulder and start new. my hair wont be virgin because all of my hair had been dyed after the color correction but im hopeing that the light brown is close to my natural color. but i figured cutting it now will be easier then cutting later.

ChrissieM
August 11th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Personally, I'd wait until my hair was longer to cut, until the light brown was about APL. Then my hair would be long enough to put up easily and still look somewhat long when down. How does your hair look when it is up with the black ends? Can you just wear it up for a few months and forget about it, then assess whether you should cut back?

spidermom
August 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Since you say you "want to cut back to shoulder and start new" - why not? I had to give up 5-6 inches of Velcro ends from curling and flat-iron use in 2005, and I regretted it for a day, maybe 2. After that I enjoyed my smooth, silky hair so much that there was no more room for regret.

Poetic
August 11th, 2009, 01:43 PM
You are probably right, it would most likely be easier to cut now. If the ends are damaged, as you say they are, the smoothness of cut ends should be enjoyable. I know that when I waited to cut off ends I did not desire, it was years before I could bring myself to get rid of them.

Lady Mary
August 11th, 2009, 02:08 PM
If it's unmanageable, it might be best to start again. As long as the new length is still long enough to do hairstyles you like, that is. :blossom:

jennylouwhoo
August 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM
thanks for the help. i did a self trim and my ends feel alot better and i found that the light brown is mixed in with the black kind of breaking the black up. so i have determined i will not cut at this point i will just do trims every once in a while till it is gone. then maybe a larger cut when it is longer

Spring
August 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I'm glad you're pleased with your smooth ends. I hope the worst is behind you and now you can grow on ;0