PDA

View Full Version : Avocado oil

Shanarana
March 9th, 2008, 12:46 PM
What do you all think of avocado oil? I have used it a couple of times on my hair as a treatment leaving it in for a few hours and washing (without rinsing the oil first) and have had some good results.

girlcat36
March 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Love it. It's my 'main' oil.

Just_Isabel
March 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I like what it does to my hair but I'm not crazy about the smell. :lol:

Elenna
March 9th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I like coconut oil better, but avocado oil was one of the three oils that penetrate hair.

These are avocado oil, coconut oil and olive oil.

Elenna

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/elenna_2007/Elenna-10-14-2007-4mos-LHC-small.jpg

Liluri
March 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Avocado, along with olive and coconut have been shown to penetrate the hair shaft, here's (http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/14/two-natural-oils-that-make-your-hair-shiny-and-strong/) an article from the Beauty Brains website.

I'm lucky enough to get cold pressed avocado oil at my local supermarket, and I'm not bothered about the light scent but then I compare it with shea butter :)

Ash
March 10th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I like it. Unfortunately, none of my local grocery stores sell it any more and I had to switch to a cosmetic grade oil which doesn't seem to work as well as the thick dark green stuff. When I used the good kind, I did overnight heavy oilings and my hair was extremely soft and shiny the next day after I washed it.

Lilibet
March 10th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Do you leave it in throughout just the length or the whole head of hair?

chloeishere
March 10th, 2008, 03:13 AM
It depends on how my scalp feels, Lilibet. If my scalp is dry (and it generally feels at least a bit dry), I put avocado oil through all my hair, and try to rub it on my scalp too.

I like what it does to my hair but I'm not crazy about the smell.

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

I really like to put on some coconut oil (medium oiling) and then top if off with avocado oil (second medium oiling) at the same time. It works out to be a heavy oiling, but I think they work really well together. I try to do it at night, and then wash the next day.

I like avocado a lot-- it washes out pretty well (just a bit harder to remove than coconut, but about a thousand times easier than olive), and it's very moisturizing. I consider it a happy medium-weight oil-- between coconut and olive.

Just_Isabel
March 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I really like to put on some coconut oil (medium oiling) and then top if off with avocado oil (second medium oiling) at the same time. It works out to be a heavy oiling, but I think they work really well together. I try to do it at night, and then wash the next day.

I like avocado a lot-- it washes out pretty well (just a bit harder to remove than coconut, but about a thousand times easier than olive), and it's very moisturizing. I consider it a happy medium-weight oil-- between coconut and olive.

Interesting. I may have to try that some day. :D

I feel the same way about olive oil as I feel about the avocado oil, I don't care too much for the smell, so I don't really use it for anything other than food.
But maybe it will be ok if I leave it on just overnight and keep my hair in a shower cap? :lol:

icydove
March 17th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Avocado oil didn't do anything wonderful for my scalp nor hair. It wasn't a bad oil, but it isn't one of my favorites.

addikted
March 17th, 2008, 07:37 AM
When I tried it, I found it a little too heavy, really weighed my hair down.

ChloeDharma
March 17th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I love avocado oil, for skin and hair. I tend to add a bit to my henna, no idea if it makes a difference or not though. Heavy oilings i like it for too, but i do find i'm not too keen on the smell.

Snowblood
March 20th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Avodo oil pure seems to be too heavy for my hair structure.
But I found a way to use up.. :D I mix some drops avocado oil (ca. 5-7) with rose water (10ml), 10ml conditioner and some drops of silk proteins.
I spray it into my lengths about 1- 2 hours before wash and my hair likes this mixture, it feels soft and sleek!

asantegold
July 16th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I'm interested in trying this oil. Do people find this oil more strengthening or softening?

butterflydreams
July 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I need to revisit this oil. I used it 2-3 years ago but I was using so many products back then I can't remember how it felt.

Elyce
July 16th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Didn't do a thing for my hair, but it's my favorite skin oil. Use it daily, I *swear* it smoothes out my wrinkles!!

sibilum
July 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm interested in trying this oil. Do people find this oil more strengthening or softening?

Softening for sure.

I've been using coconut oil regularly for a year, and avocado for the past week.

My avocado oil smell is very, very subtle and doesn't bother me at all. The coconut on the other hand smells a lot, but I like it. Avocado is more softening, but my first impression is that it isn't very strengthening as coconut. Coconut washes much easier than avocado.

I'm now using a 50/50 mix of the two oils.