PDA

View Full Version : repetetive stress

missfortune9335
August 10th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I'm interested in the idea of just wearing my hair up most of the time now, I like the put it up and just let it grow mentality. But since my hair is just shoulder length the only styles I can really do well right now are a french twist, a french braid and possibly a gibson tuck. How often do you have to switch styles to prevent repetative stress breaks? (and does it matter if you're switching between only two styles?)

HairColoredHair
August 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I do the same style at different places and more or less tightly to vary the stresses. :)

Rohele
August 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
You can also coil your french twist one way one day and the other the next.

free_hug
August 11th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Double french braid, low pigtails (though its highly a matter of taste, some people find them too girly), sock bun tied around with bandana? Not to mention different height ponies... just a few sugestions, and i hope i could give you some ideas of styles at least, since i know nothing about repetitive stress effects... :o

jera
August 11th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I change up frequently to prevent stress breakage and TA. Since your hair is on the short side and you don't have as many styling options, more frequent oilings could help keep your hair strong until it grows to the point that you can style it in different ways more easily. :)

ericthegreat
August 11th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I agree with jera. Do an oiling once every week (coconut oil and or olive oil have really proven to be very effective at penetrating into the hair) and also use conditioner regularly. This will keep your hair in top shape while you are in the long process of growing it longer.

And perhaps you could just wear a simple ponytail or leave your hair loose and natural? This is what I always do and as you can see my hair speaks for itself!

SimplyViki
August 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I'm interested in the idea of just wearing my hair up most of the time now, I like the put it up and just let it grow mentality. But since my hair is just shoulder length the only styles I can really do well right now are a french twist, a french braid and possibly a gibson tuck. How often do you have to switch styles to prevent repetative stress breaks? (and does it matter if you're switching between only two styles?)
I think the most important thing is to take care not to pull or stretch or place strain on the hairs when you're putting your hair up, and make sure your styles are not pulled tightly. If you can manage to make one of those styles stay without it feeling "tight", it's probably OK for your hair.

I've never made a conscious effort to switch between styles (I do switch, but I don't have a particular system in place specifically to avoid stress related breakage), but I think that if you're not putting strain on the hair, and you're caring for it well (S&D when needed, oil if that's what you like/what works for you, condition well, manage existing damage, etc), it should be OK. :) I know it can seem like a can't win situation when you're hearing about the damage from leaving it loose on one hand, and the damage from repeating the same style on the other hand!

I agree with jera. Do an oiling once every week (coconut oil and or olive oil have really proven to be very effective at penetrating into the hair) and also use conditioner regularly. This will keep your hair in top shape while you are in the long process of growing it longer.

And perhaps you could just wear a simple ponytail or leave your hair loose and natural? This is what I always do and as you can see my hair speaks for itself!
Yes, but one thing - Eric, I believe I've seen you mention before that your hair is naturally coarse and strong, am I right? The OP's hairtype is given as fine texture, and on the thin side, so her hair might not be so resilient as yours is in response to simply leaving it down or ponytailed. Believe it or not, a simple ponytail has resulted in breakage and tangling for many people, especially depending on where you place it. (It might be helpful to put your hairtyping info in, so others have a frame of reference to work with when you describe what works for you:)).

spidermom
August 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I don't vary my up-do much. When I learn one that doesn't pull, twist, or sag, I tend to do it all the time, until I reach a new length and have to learn a new one. I don't think I'm getting stress damage because I can't tolerate anything pulled tight, and I don't twist my hair.

missfortune9335
August 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM
thanks for the help everyone, there's so much to learn! ;)

SimplyViki
August 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM
thanks for the help everyone, there's so much to learn! ;)
Indeed! You've got that right! There's always something to learn, I think. :D

julya
August 11th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I pretty much wear mine the same way most days, and I haven't noticed any damage from it.