PDA

View Full Version : Healing Braids?

ZenBird07
August 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Ummm...Soooo...Can someone please explain to me how braids are supposed to be healing? I've been trying this braid for sleep thing based on this healing bit and all I've gotten out of it is damage(breakage). Now I've been growing and nursing my hair back to health just to have more breakage.
Am I not understanding something? Where did that idea come from? Did I do it wrong? Loose braids right?
Until someone can explain to me how and why this works I'm going back to hair down at night...:confused:

JamieRose
August 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM
When I would wear my hair in one braid at night, it would get really frizzy and look hilarious in the morning. Then I started doing two small braids, one on each side, and that helped some. Now, I just said screw it and put it in a sleep cap. Works WAY better.

What kind of pillow case do you have? Getting a silk/satin pillow case may solve this problem for you, or getting a sleep cap.

GoddesJourney
August 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Sleeping in a braid goes a long way for not tangling my hair while I'm sleeping. Using a silk pillowcase works wonders for not giving me breakage, especially in the short hairs around my face and the back of my head where I rub on my pillowcase.

ZenBird07
August 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
When I would wear my hair in one braid at night, it would get really frizzy and look hilarious in the morning. Then I started doing two small braids, one on each side, and that helped some. Now, I just said screw it and put it in a sleep cap. Works WAY better.

What kind of pillow case do you have? Getting a silk/satin pillow case may solve this problem for you, or getting a sleep cap.

Well, as of now I use a 600-thread count egyptian cotton pillow case. I am not really able to use satin/silk pillow case or sheets based on breathability issues. How much did you pay for your sleep cap and where did you get it? That sounds like an interesting option...:)

GeoJ
August 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Sleep braids didn't work for me, over time I have also come to prefer sleepcaps (I make my own with silk satin).

Sleep braids do work for my DD as long they are not too loose. They work best when made with average tightness, if they are too loose the nape gets loose and tangly. She wears her sleep braid and has a satin pillowcase, which results in nice tangle-free hair in the morning. I have not noticed any breakage on her hair and we have been doing this for at least a year now.

I hope you find the best method for your hair soon. :)

Gingevere
August 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I have a sleep cap from Maverick Wear, and I love it. The elastic is covered and there is a tie closure in the back, so you can adjust the fit. It's never come off my head in the middle of the night as other caps did. They range in price from $14-$20, depending on what size, style, and material you want. I highly recommend them!

Carolyn
August 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "healing". Sleeping in a braid can prevent more damage for some. It's not going to heal damage that is already there.

ZenBird07
August 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "healing". Sleeping in a braid can prevent more damage for some. It's not going to heal damage that is already there.

This is part of my question... I kid you not these were the words I read and stupidly believed. For me braiding doesn't prevent breakage at night either. My hair is typically strong, shiny, soft, and silky so I also don't understand why it would get upset over braids at night and break. Is it that I'm getting older?(mid-twenties) Motherhood?:hmm:

WritingPrincess
August 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Healing? I'm just curious, where did you hear that? I braid my hair at night, because I hate sleeping on a knobby bun (The only bun that I've ever found comfortable for sleep was the vortex bun, as it's so flat to the head). I don't think that braiding my hair at night causes breakage, in and of itself, although my perma-braid has to wear on my hair somehow. I'm sorry you haven't found something that works yet. No style can heal damage that is already done, the best it can do is prevent more. I hope you find a solution.

klcqtee
August 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I found that braiding my hair at night also caused too much damage, because I roll a bit, adn it was constantly pulling my hair out. I switched to either leaving it down, or doing one braid on the side. I usually sleep on my right side, so I'll braid it to my left side. A high ponytail, then braided, works well for me.

serenitygal
August 11th, 2009, 12:35 AM
If it's braided, it isn't being tangled or caught or knotted when you turn over or what have you. That having been said, I'm a pretty "hard" sleeper; I tend to rub my head against my pillow in my sleep, and turn over a lot.
I use a satin pillowcase; I never thought I could adjust to it, but I don't find it at all hot on my face or neck. I do change it every 3-4 days or so, but that's more for skin issues than anything else.
You also might try a hairnet. I loathe anything on my head while I'm sleeping, but braiding my hair and putting a net over it keeps most of the night-time damage away.

heidihug
August 11th, 2009, 09:52 AM
If it's braided, it isn't being tangled or caught or knotted when you turn over or what have you.

True for me, too, when my braids were a shorter length (by LHC standards), around BSL. After I got past that length, I found that braided hair for sleeping was not practical. My braid/s would get caught underneath me, wrap around my neck (I flip from side to side throughout the night), and end up being a fuzzy mess in the morning. A nightmare to detangle, and I just don't have the time to unbraid and carefully finger-comb each morning.

So, now I top-knot carefully with a silky scrunchie and most mornings I just release it and only have to do minor detangling at my nape. That could easily be rectifyed by using a silk pillowcase or a sleep cap, I'm sure, but I've not invested in either, as I've not seen enough damage to justify the expense.

missmagoo
August 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I agree with you, I swear I've read "healing braids" on here as well.

At any rate, braids have never been comfortable for me to sleep in. I just started doing a super-high ponytail held in place with a scrunchie. My hair is wavy, so the first night after a wash I just do a pony to preserve some of the natural waves- after that I do a loose bun. It's been comfy to sleep in, and I wake up tangle-free and my waves look good.

spidermom
August 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I can't do braids at night because it wakes me up every time I roll over the bump. I do a top-of-head ponytail directed over the top of my pillow. I also wedge a pillow between the bed frame and the mattress so my ponytail doesn't hang and pull.

I've never heard of "healing" braids.

SpinDance
August 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I find I do best with a low braid that I then curl up over top of my head on the pillow while I sleep. I'm a side sleeper, and although I roll over fairly frequently, having the braid above my head seems to work pretty well. Keeps me from rolling onto it and catching it under me.

Haven't tried the satin pillowcase, and if it feels at all cool to the touch it wouldn't work for me. Not sure I could manage to sleep with a cap on, but I'm starting to consider it.

I don't think I could bun my hair to sleep, as that bump would be just too much to roll over on. Those of you who do, what do you use to keep it up? Hair pins?

ZenBird07
August 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I agree with you, I swear I've read "healing braids" on here as well.

At any rate, braids have never been comfortable for me to sleep in. I just started doing a super-high ponytail held in place with a scrunchie. My hair is wavy, so the first night after a wash I just do a pony to preserve some of the natural waves- after that I do a loose bun. It's been comfy to sleep in, and I wake up tangle-free and my waves look good.

I know... I feel like I need to do a search and paste it on this thread to show everybody that I haven't lost my marbles and that this phooey is on the site. Now understand, that I'm not one of the poor souls that found this site and tried everything that was prescribed thinking I've found a panacea. For one reason or another this one stuck and I wound up trying it. Yikes...:brickwall

missmagoo
August 12th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I know it's weird- it must have been said on some random thread:shrug:

Spin dance- when I wear my hair in a (loose!) bun, I put it literally on top of my head. Like so far on the top of my head that my bangs fit in the bun. It looks ridiculous, but this way it stays totally out the way while I'm sleeping- I don't even notice it's there.

GeoJ
August 12th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I find I do best with a low braid that I then curl up over top of my head on the pillow while I sleep. I'm a side sleeper, and although I roll over fairly frequently, having the braid above my head seems to work pretty well. Keeps me from rolling onto it and catching it under me.

Haven't tried the satin pillowcase, and if it feels at all cool to the touch it wouldn't work for me. Not sure I could manage to sleep with a cap on, but I'm starting to consider it.

I don't think I could bun my hair to sleep, as that bump would be just too much to roll over on. Those of you who do, what do you use to keep it up? Hair pins?

I used to do a bun on top of my head at night (I stopped because it required too much detangling). I did it with two satin scrunchies; I first made a ponytail on top of my head with one scrunchie, then I folded the ponytail back and forth in my hand and secured it with the second scrunchie.

Now I use a sleepcap. It took a couple of nights to get used to sleeping with a cap on, but now I prefer it.

may1em
August 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I sleep bun - I bring my hair into a high ponytail, put the scrunchie around once, then with the other hand, twist the ponytail and wrap it around the scrunchie into a bun. To secure, I take the rest of the scrunchie, which should be sticking up in a loop from the center of the bun, and bring it down over and under the bun to secure.

The scrunchie doesn't damage, and if I make the bun high up enough, it doesn't get in my way when I sleep. It also takes less time to make than a braid.

No amount of putting hair up (whether during the day or at night) can FIX damage that's already there, but it can help prevent damage from things like rubbing against clothes, wind, and getting stuck in stuff.

spidermom
August 12th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I did a search on "healing braids" and I came up with threads about healing damage, with braids recommended, but it's not because the braids do anything to "heal" or "repair" damage. They're merely more protective than leaving hair down, but not as protective as bunning.

embee
August 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I also do the top of the head bun thingy. I hold it in place with a tangle-free elastic and then make a sort of Gibraltar bun and hold that with a short hair fork (actually large 4 inch plastic hair pin). I never feel the bun at night because it's not where I'm resting any weight on it at all.

Yes, it looks sorta silly, but also kinda cute, this little topknot. It's very cool and comfy.

Used to do the single braid down my back but it got fuzzy, it was hot in summer, and it tickled in winter. Also it sometimes wrapped around my neck - not fun.

I'm perfectly willing to believe you saw "healing braid" but I don't recall seeing it here. This is a *huge* site though, and there's lots of strange stuff available! ;)

JamieRose
August 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Well, as of now I use a 600-thread count egyptian cotton pillow case. I am not really able to use satin/silk pillow case or sheets based on breathability issues. How much did you pay for your sleep cap and where did you get it? That sounds like an interesting option...:)

You can get them at Walmart for less than five bucks, in the hair care aisle. (They keep them in the "ethnic hair care" section) They also have them at Sally's, but I think they cost more there.

Beldaran
August 12th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'd also be interested to see where someone here said something about "healing braids" as searching for posts with those two words just bring up this thread, comments about hospital stays that also mention braids, and one post from the piercing thread talking about healing a piercing that also mentions braids. Only 30 posts in total, and most are 6 months old. I'm not calling anyone a liar, but I just can't see anyone here seriously saying that braids heal without someone else immediately telling them it wasn't true.

As has been said, nothing can "heal" your hair and I actually found the little binders that I put at the ends of my braids to do more harm than good. I leave my hair loose to sleep as it's too thick for a bun (I get a neck ache from laying on them) and braids strangle me or my husband. Having it loose is the most comfortable for me, and really, if I've slept badly because my hair is uncomfortable, I don't give a flip what it looks like. :rollin:

ZenBird07
August 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Thank you again for all the advice. I'm a little leary of going back to buns at night -or just buns for that matter. The Army was very mean to my hair and was one of the reasons I chopped before growing back out. Sock buns were very in back then in the Army( a few years ago really ). And because of my wurlies I had to heavily gel with what was allowed and available at the px/troopstore/local walmart...Very damaging and uncomfortable with revisiting but might give embees(sp? -sorry) high-almost-on-forehead-loose-bun thing a GO...And given the other advice I've been given off this thread I might just go ahead and keep my eye out for a sale for a king size silk pillow case for over top of a cotton one. I have sensitive skin so we shall see. Thank you everyone. :)

WritingMum
August 14th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Hello, Zen,

I've been following the discussion and will add my own experience. When my hair was pretty nigh classic I braided at night with a single loose braid and either left the end unattached or used something big and soft at the end (soft headbands and scrunchies worked well, but I also used large covered elastics). I also ripped a comb through my hair morning and evening and had massive breakage. At that time, I braided Writing Princess's hair morning and evening (loose plaits at night, snug for the day) . She almost never had tangles, and her hair was combed far more gently than my own since her scalp was sensitive. At the end of that era, Writing Princess had very few split ends but my own hair was worthless. I've always attributed the damage to the violent combing, since the braiding cut down on tangles, but I could be wrong.

I am sorry about the damage to your hair. I hope your new plan works well for you. Would you stop back on the thread later on and let us know how it worked, please?

best regards,

Rentlle
August 14th, 2009, 05:41 AM
braids aren't healing, braids are protecting from more damage :)
so.. if you call that healing, then braids are healing :)

ZenBird07
August 14th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hello, Zen,

I've been following the discussion and will add my own experience. When my hair was pretty nigh classic I braided at night with a single loose braid and either left the end unattached or used something big and soft at the end (soft headbands and scrunchies worked well, but I also used large covered elastics). I also ripped a comb through my hair morning and evening and had massive breakage. At that time, I braided Writing Princess's hair morning and evening (loose plaits at night, snug for the day) . She almost never had tangles, and her hair was combed far more gently than my own since her scalp was sensitive. At the end of that era, Writing Princess had very few split ends but my own hair was worthless. I've always attributed the damage to the violent combing, since the braiding cut down on tangles, but I could be wrong.

I am sorry about the damage to your hair. I hope your new plan works well for you. Would you stop back on the thread later on and let us know how it worked, please?

best regards,

Yes I was going to... I will definately get back to you as soon as I gather the resources and start experimenting again...

amyapple329
August 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I can't wear a braid while I sleep at all for a few different reasons. First off my hair is quite thick so if i put it in one braid I can feel under my back and its really uncomfortable. I can't feel them if I put it into 2 braids, one on each side. Second problem my hair just doesn't like them all night long. My hair ends up tangled in the morning and way out of control. I have switched to a satin pillow case and it worked great and helping my hair stay untangled in the morning. I didn't realize what a difference a pillow case could make. I lost way less hair and had fewer knots after the change. I just sleep with my hair down now and it does ok. I might think about the sleeping cap though.

nowxisxforever
August 19th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I used to braid when my hair was shorter... now, at Classic, I toss my hair (loose) over the top of my pillow and say to heck with it! ;)

I kid thee not. I comb my hair real quick before bed, then toss my hair over the top of my pillow. It will either lay over the end of the bed (not low enough for DBF to step on it, luckily..I also sleep on a MOUNTAIN of pillows, for I was a spoiled child who loved pillows, and also have acid reflux issues at night, so head/chest needs to be elevated as much as possible)or it will pool in one spot between my pillows and the wall/end of the bed, depending on whether we're sleeping normally or in front of the a/c.

The only thing I've had to be careful of was my fan-- I always have a fan blowing on me while I sleep, and I have to make sure my hair is not anywhere near it or it'll gobble it up.

HairColoredHair
August 19th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hrm... the only way I could think of braids being healing is that when you braid damp hair it often remains more moisturized which can be seen as bettering your hair's condition, or 'healing', though they don't actually fix true damage.

ZenBird07
August 21st, 2009, 08:28 PM
Hello, Zen,

best regards,

I feel terribly that I haven't gotten back to you yet... Honestly, I haven't been able to go with any fancy(be it on sale or not) satin/silk items as I do not have the "resources"... So really all I've been attempting to do is throw my hair over my pillow. It never stays and I wake up in a blanket of hair and monoi but it's the best I can do right now. I thank everyone for your patience...and interest...:)