PDA

View Full Version : Bad treatment = Good hair ?

Cheros
August 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I have a few questions that I can't seem to figure out, wondering if you guys can help.

1. I have pretty fine hair (I think so) and pretty much all the time I have knots and tangles and sticky ends. Is this normal for fine hair ?

2. What is up with the sticky ends of my hair? they seem to fuse together and I have to gently tease them apart.

3. I use a sulfate shampoo, no conditioner, and I used to blowdry every time I washed. Yet I still received comments on how good my hair looks, granted they were rare and from a trusted adult but still :shrug:
It feels like silk, ignoring all the knots.
Just wondered what your take on this is :)

misstwist
August 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
My take is that you need a conditioner on the ends and maybe a trim.

Cheros
August 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM
My take is that you need a conditioner on the ends and maybe a trim.

I would, but I don't trust anyone near me to go near my hair. The only people I know are local salons, who are evil :/
A woman who used to cut people's ponytails off because they looked "silly" on men.

I'll try and muster up the courage. And i'm trying CO, it's a spray on and when I try to apply it the hair just falls off. Well some hair.

missmagoo
August 10th, 2009, 11:00 AM
My hair is fine and when my ends get "sticky" I know I need a trim- I'm trying to use some more LHC methods, so I can reduce that now.

Even when my ends were gross, the majority of my hair was nice and I always got compliments too, it didn't mean that my hair was in good shape. I was also getting trims/cuts frequently enough that even when my ends were split and damaged, the over end length of the hair was think and, from afar, healthy-looking.

I would think that a lightweight conditioner would help with the tangles- I do think fine hair has the tendency to tangle, especially when the ends are not in great shape.

missmagoo
August 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Oops! I mean that the overall ends of my hair were THICK not "think":oops:

Roseate
August 10th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I second the conditioner and/or trim option. Sounds like your ends are dry, and adding a good conditioner to your routine might moisturize them enough, or maybe they really do need to go.

Cheros
August 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I think i'll ask the womans opinion. Maybe a cm or so off the ends will help. The tangling goes up the length a bit more than that, but it'll make it more manageable.

I think I need a normal conditioner...
Sprays are a B*$%h to direct onto the ends.

Renbirde
August 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM
:D Yep. Conditioner + trim should do you good. You might try a few CWC or CO washes before your trim, or an SMT... my hair always tangles more when it's dry.

As to your concerns with salons... check out Feye's Self-trim. If your hair isn't quite long enough for you to do it, it shouldn't be too hard to modify it so a friend you trust could wield the scissors.

If your ends are sticky because of splits, you might try catnip and S&D.

Leoneska
August 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Cheros, I used to have the same problem: tangily fine hair, and when I put conditioner my hair became sort of stringy and "heavy". I figured that I used the "wrong" conditioner when I joined this community (I used a "lovely" silicone bomb, and I had my hair down most of the time).
A light conditioner and a lose braid overnight helped me to get rid of these tangles (-:

Cheros
August 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM
A trim and conditioner may be in order if I can find the courage to chop my hair. I can't yet braid or do anything to my hair, it's not long enough. I do use a loose tie for my hair at night for a ponytail, which I think means at least it isn't spraying so much over the pillowcase while I twist and turn.

I'll have a look at that article thank you, another way to become self-sufficient :)

prittykitty
August 10th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Trim your hair yourself if you don't like salons. It's really not as hard as you think.

Igor
August 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM
My take on this is that people see your “good hair” as your fine hair having lots of volume, which you will probably get from your treatment of it

You said it yourself, lots of knots and tangles and sticky ends, which isn’t a sign of healthy hair, but people don’t notice that from a distance

“Good hair” is not necessarily healthy hair

heatherdazy
August 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
The only people I know are salons, who are evil :/

Would you like an opportunity to rephrase that statement, or do you truly feel 'evil' is the best possible word to describe anyone who happens to do hair for a living?

Cheros
August 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Would you like an opportunity to rephrase that statement, or do you truly feel 'evil' is the best possible word to describe anyone who happens to do hair for a living?

It was not intended to offend or be read as a blanket statement, perhaps "local" would be an appropriate addition. I'm sure there are many skilled salon(ists?) out there, just not locally.

It was intended as a light hearted jest at the fact that these people tend to do things to your hair that you do not ask them to do. Obviously it does not apply to the whole population that undertook such a career.

Shadow
August 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Im with the others on this - I have fine hair too and when my ends get sticky and 'velcro-y' I know it's time for a trim. Oiling my ends has helped me go longer between trims but I'll never be one of those people that can get away without trimming at all.

Cheros
August 11th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I think I'm going to ask for a trim, i'm not confident enough to have a go at it myself yet. Oil may be a good addition too.

adiapalic
August 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
It was not intended to offend or be read as a blanket statement, perhaps "local" would be an appropriate addition. I'm sure there are many skilled salon(ists?) out there, just not locally.

It was intended as a light hearted jest at the fact that these people tend to do things to your hair that you do not ask them to do. Obviously it does not apply to the whole population that undertook such a career.

I can say that I'm not one offended by the statement--I think it was obvious you were using a little bit of hyperbole to describe some of the salons you knew of, and your experience with them.

As far as sticky velcro ends--I myself have experienced this problem. I've found some good conditioning of the ends, oiling, and occasional small dustings or trims help a great deal.

Since you have mostly been using shampoo only up to this point, and experimenting with spray conditioner, it's probably time for some good bottled conditioner on those ends. :)

Cheros
August 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I can say that I'm not one offended by the statement--I think it was obvious you were using a little bit of hyperbole to describe some of the salons you knew of, and your experience with them.

As far as sticky velcro ends--I myself have experienced this problem. I've found some good conditioning of the ends, oiling, and occasional small dustings or trims help a great deal.

Since you have mostly been using shampoo only up to this point, and experimenting with spray conditioner, it's probably time for some good bottled conditioner on those ends. :)
I can be a bit vague and brief sometimes, I can understand how there might have been a misunderstanding. :)

I think you're right, now I just need to find a nice one. It might not fix the problem, but it'll "remove" it for now while i'm growing my hair.

jojo
August 12th, 2009, 04:18 PM
My individual strands are baby fine and mine tangles like bilio, even after a trim. What helps with my hair is leaving a little conditioner on the ends (pea sized) and not washing it out.

Rivanariko
August 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I've got really fine hair that tangles really easily. I CO a couple times a week, and that really seems to help. I also use aloe vera to calm down a little bit of the "frizzies" and put more on the ends, and that seems to be helping. If the ends are still tangling, I know that I need a trim. I've just started using Feye's method and I love it. I would start conditioning and moisturizing before you go for the trim though. It makes a huge difference for me. Lighter conditioners is good too. Aussie products usually leave my hair feeling sleek, healthy and less-tangled. Suave (which many people on here love) makes it feel like a mat of straw velcroed to my head, and Tresemme makes it feel like I've got a wet mop glued to my scalp (I think it's a heavier conditioner). So you just have to experiment and figure out what your hair likes and prefers. Everyone is different.

klcqtee
August 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
My ends don't get "sticky" so much as crunchy. I know that a ton of coconut oil (literally soaked to the point of stringy) on the ends really helps. I thought that I needed to trim, but I just soaked my hair in coconut oil and all was right with the world!

Honestwitness
August 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Cheros, I have fine hair, too, and I used to have velcro-ey ends, also. I agree with the conditioner idea, although we fine hairs need to be careful not to overdo the conditioner, or we get limp hair. Aloe vera also helps me. But the one thing that has helped the very most is satin pillowcases. I got a pair of pretty pink ones at Target for $9.99. They are worth every penny.

Cheros
August 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Aussie I know of, and it's local so I might test it out.

Aloe vera and coconut oil, interesting. Does the coconut oil add slip to the hairs or something ?

I'm getting a satin silk pillowcase sometime this holiday, a bit expensive but I hope worth it. I can keep it forever so :) Does it really stay cool in the summer when it gets really hot and humid ?

Aer
August 13th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Your lucky your hair looks and feels good after blowfrying, I'm jealous. Self trimimg is pretty easy, even when my hair was shorter, it was a breeze. If conditioner doesn't work right for you, and thats true for some people, you could do a light oiling treatment before you shampoo, like once aweek or twice a month. Almond oil is excellent for fine haired people. Good luck.

Islandgrrl
August 13th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'd agree with the good conditioner and a little trim option.

You might also consider using a tiny bit of leave-in conditioner in the ends. Spray on? Forgetaboutit. Unless you make it yourself - just a tiny bit of good quality condish mixed with water, put into a little mister bottle.