PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions.

RancheroTheBee
August 10th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I like to collect questions so I can ask them all at once and make you answer in point form. *evil laugh*

1) The other day, I was afraid that I was going on a protein overload; my shampoo bar was made of coconut, so was my conditioner, and my leave-in had coconut oil in it. Yesterday, I flat-ironed it because ... well, I just wanted to. It looked really great; smooth, shiny, thick. The problem was the major velcro ends. I knew I'd gotten to the point where there was too much protein in my hair, and it being straight just magnified the effect because I kept wanting to run my hands through my hair. So, I didn't wash it yesterday, but when I woke up, my hair was fine. No more velcro ends, but still sleek and shiny. What happened? Did my hair just eat the protein or something?

2) When do you take vitamins? I was thinking of taking them at night, because somehow I reached the conclusion that they would absorb better, but is this just spurious reasoning?

3) Okay, the following ingredients: methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolone. Odd questions, but are these 'cones or just preservatives? ETA: Nevermind. I looked it up because I wanted to know how to spell it, only for the wiki to come up and tell me it's an anti-fungal preservative. Neato.

4) Baby hairs: Do they grow faster than regular hair or something? I started taking brewer's yeast a while ago, as well as MSM, and I've noticed an enormous amount of new hair. But they're too long to be related to my taking these supplements (about two inches in some places) and I can't think of any other explanation for why I suddenly have so much new hair.

TIA, everybody! :flower:

missmagoo
August 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
1) My hair does this also- if I have some velcro ends they're usually gone the next day when I wake up. I've always thought it was just that the cuticle of my hair smoothed out overnight from not being agitated, or that whatever I put on my hair (like coconut oil) was finally absorbed.

2) I take my vitamins in the morning with breakfast, but I know many people who take them at night. The main reason to take them at night is if you get an upset stomach from taking vitamins, you usually need to take them with more food (i.e. dinner).

I prefer to take mine in the a.m. because I feel like vitamins are energizing for me and I don't need extra energy while I'm sleeping.

3) looks like you got this one!

4) no ideas for you!

HairColoredHair
August 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
1. My guess is all the coconut oils absorbed... Coconut oil doesn't actually supply protein, it just keeps it in the hair, if I remember right.

2. I take mine whenever I remember to (usually with food). Taking them with food helps absorbtion more than sleeping with them in your stomach, afaik.

3. Yep, preservatives...

4. I don't think baby hairs grow faster, I just think you don't notice them when they're quite short, because the rest of your hair hides them/holds them down, and then they get to the halo stage all of a sudden. :lol:

RancheroTheBee
August 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
4. I don't think baby hairs grow faster, I just think you don't notice them when they're quite short, because the rest of your hair hides them/holds them down, and then they get to the halo stage all of a sudden. :lol:

Yeah, you're probably right. I also can't complain about getting new growth.