PDA

View Full Version : major kinks since going sls and cone free is this common?

templeofvenus
August 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I have switched to sls free shampooo and cone free conditioner and wow has my hair gone kinky! its at chin length well just past and the sides are seriously kinking out! :( I like the new shampoo and cone free result but the kinks are annoying and I don't want to cave in and use the straighteners!!!! I am just tucking my hair behind my ears for now until I can get it into a ponytail! not long to go! wondered if anyone else had this happen when they switched to sls and cone free?

lilalong
August 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
maybe you are a wavey?

templeofvenus
August 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
maybe you are a wavey?
lol yeah I must be its just going mad right now kinking at the front, I hope as it grows this calms down a bit. Wavey? maybe the cones kept it flatter and hid the waves! you could be right!

RancheroTheBee
August 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM
It's possible that your new regimen is allowing your hair to form better curls. If you don't like it, maybe you can switch back to 'cones for a little bit to calm your curls down until it's a little bit longer.

misstwist
August 10th, 2009, 11:03 AM
It's possible that your new regimen is allowing your hair to form better curls. If you don't like it, maybe you can switch back to 'cones for a little bit to calm your curls down until it's a little bit longer.

What she said.

I'm usually cone free because it takes the wave right out of my hair, but a couple times a year I want to wear it fairly straight so I just use a cone-y conditioner and a blow dryer on low heat.

Were you getting build-up from the cones or scalp irritation from the sulfates? If you weren't then just switch back to a routine that helped you hair do what you want it to.

templeofvenus
August 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM
What she said.

I'm usually cone free because it takes the wave right out of my hair, but a couple times a year I want to wear it fairly straight so I just use a cone-y conditioner and a blow dryer on low heat.

Were you getting build-up from the cones or scalp irritation from the sulfates? If you weren't then just switch back to a routine that helped you hair do what you want it to.

I changed to cone free as I was getting allergies with a lot of products so I bought an sls and paraben free shampoo and cone free conditioner from this range www.nakedbodycare.co.uk (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk) I didn't want to use cones when not using a sulphate shampoo as I thought it didn't wash the cones out without sulfates? am I right? I am having no skin reactions with this product which is fab and my hair is soft etc just gone into kinks!

systemaurora
August 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
There are some cones that are water soluble-- you don't need the SLS. Also, if you use regular non water soluble cones you can just use them less often. I.e. Monday wash your hair with the coney conditioner, Wednesday and Friday use the cone-free conditioner, and Sunday use the coney one again. Plenty of people have had success that way. :)

Lilli
August 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have waves in the back of my head, but if I use cones, it straightens them out. So yes, I think your reaction is normal. If you want to go REALLY curly, try a shampoo bar - that really brings out my waves! Or if you want it to be straighter, go back to the cones.

redcelticcurls
August 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
It's not unusual for previously hidden waves and curls to show up after stoppage of cones and sulfates.

You may just be wavier than you realized. :)

melikai
August 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Same thing happened to me when I switched to no silicones. I don't know if this will work for your hair, but try carefully combing it out while it is still damp from washing (unless you do this already). For some reason, if I do this with mine, it gets rid of almost all the waves!

ikn
August 10th, 2009, 02:21 PM
When you go CO you usually moisturise your hair more than you're used to. Curly hair is often dry which makes it frizzy. Go CO and add moisture will lead to your hair forming better curls, your hair is healthier. I understand that you may be disappointed but your hair is happier and if you're blessed with curls you should embrace them - they're not a problem, they're a gift!

When you're hair gets longer it should weigh down a bit more and perhaps become easier to control. In the meantime I recommend a heavier conditioner (check our Jessicurl) and consider some styling, a lot of people at an online curly community in Sweden seem to have gotten good results with wax or gel (silicon free of course), personally I use mousse.

Also I find that French braiding the front of my hair ("would-be-bangs" and a little more) makes for a good way of keeping my hair neat looking and out of the way without looking weird.

Vermelha
August 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I have switched to sls free shampooo and cone free conditioner and wow has my hair gone kinky! its at chin length well just past and the sides are seriously kinking out! :( I like the new shampoo and cone free result but the kinks are annoying and I don't want to cave in and use the straighteners!!!! I am just tucking my hair behind my ears for now until I can get it into a ponytail! not long to go! wondered if anyone else had this happen when they switched to sls and cone free?

Yep. It happens to me all the time. I get extra curls when I don't use cones, especially after I've straightened my hair and go back to wash it back to curly.

I actually see more kink/curl in my hair because I use a shampoo bar and oil as a conditioner instead, but I do see the waviness like someone else mentioned. But I'm all about health over my hair's appearance. My hair feels healthier this way, so if your hair feels stronger and healthier, I'd just go with it.

Jinx2234
August 10th, 2009, 08:21 PM
This happens to me. When I CO and don't use cones my hair is pretty curly, but when I use cones it's straight and kind of frizzy.

Elphie
August 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Cones straighten my hair out almost completely and I generally don't use them. My hair is much wavier without cones.

misstwist
August 10th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Try this article on silicones with a guide to water soluble silicones if you haven't looked at it already.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13

prettigurl
August 10th, 2009, 11:54 PM
It's almost impossible to detangle my hair without any cones. My alternative for cones is oil and it works ok, but it doesn't give nearly as much slip as my cones.