PDA

View Full Version : Back to black - pics and length

gallows_gallery
August 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I caved in and dyed my hair black again after a year of experimenting with bleach, henna, indigo and brown.

It's super shiny and I've hardly lost any hair - if only I had have predicted this a year ago! I would never have bleached it from black to brown, lost half my hair, ruined the rest and cut about 6 inches off :(

Oh well - my journey back to long black hair begins again! I'm growing out those wispy layers you can see on the side, and probably my fringe too. Henna and indigo were great on my hair, but they were too expensive and just *too* much effort to keep up. I always had flawless silk hair in the past with hairdresser/packet black, so I'll stick with it again.

Please excuse my filthy mirror!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/mollusclove/CIMG9171.jpg http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/mollusclove/CIMG9175.jpg

Look how thin it really is! http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/mollusclove/CIMG9177.jpg

redneckprincess
August 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM
it still looks really good ♥

templeofvenus
August 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM
It looks great I SOOOO want my hair just like yours you can be my hair idol! mine is dyed black I use the naturatint packet black and I like the result.....:)

LittleOrca
August 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Your hair looks great that shade. I have always wanted to see myself with black hair, but with my complexion and freckles, red and my original brown are the only good colors on me. :)

eyesofsummer
August 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
So shiny! The black looks really striking against the red shirt you're wearing, too. It's a beautiful combination!

yellowchariot
August 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM
So shiny! The black looks really striking against the red shirt you're wearing, too. It's a beautiful combination!

This is what I was thinking, the black and red rocks.

It's a cool braid and very shiny texture too!

Michele
August 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Ravishing! Really love it.

gallows_gallery
August 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Thank you all :) I've also been able to wear a lot of colours in my wardrobe that I looked bad in with brown hair - black seems to suit EVERYTHING.

The down side is that less make up looks worse - but the flip side of this is that I can wear lots of fun, vibrant eyeshadows and lipsticks in any colour again...yay!

cakedcake
August 10th, 2009, 10:04 AM
It's so sleek and pretty! It goes well with your skintone too, and even shirt. (Haha, I wear the same colors with black hair- love pinks, reds, anything pastel, black, white.)

RancheroTheBee
August 10th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Wow. I think that shade looks really beautiful. It's so shiny! :) Good job.

Culdayne
August 10th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Your hair looks really great! It gives me hope that I can grow my fine hair that long. :D

Evie
August 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
:agape::thud::thudpile::thudpile:Wow. That looks fantastic!! Would love to know how you keep it so shiny?

NiAosSi
August 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I love the black too. I've always had black hair and no problems. Been using henna for a year too... I've been debating dyeing it back to black. I think your beautiful results have encouraged me! It looks great!

misstwist
August 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Beautiful, beautiful hair.

I always thought it was entirely unfair that my dad has the most gorgeous thick, wavy, jet-black hair and I got my mother's fine, thin, mousy blond.

Darscilla
August 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I wish my dyed black hair was so silky! I tried the henna/indigo route too, but can you say labour intensive?! And it was never quite black enough, so back to the chemicals ;)

Ryanne
August 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM
So shiny and sleek! It looks beautiful.

Arashi
August 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM
So gorgeous and shiny! That's seriously my dream hair. :)

Garnet66
August 10th, 2009, 11:18 AM
The black looks so great on you. And your hair is so shiny. I love it.

Bianca
August 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
It looks really good. What amazing shine... :)

Isilme
August 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
shiny! It really looks amazing, and if you can keep it healthy with box colour, well, that's great and saves a lot of time!

Leisje
August 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM
It looks beautiful! Very shiny and lovely. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw your photos, "wow look at that shine."

Ohh, you make me miss black hair. It's my favourite colour.

FaeryTails
August 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Your hair looks great, so shiny!

redcelticcurls
August 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM
That color looks fantastic on your skin!

gallows_gallery
August 10th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Thank you all! In response to all the comments about shine - admittedly my hair is naturally fine and shiny, but I swear the real shine comes from black hair dye. Dark colours shine up amazingly with a few drops of oil or similar sleek-products. In this photo I only had a teeny bit of oil in.

I use Dabur Amla oil when I get out of the shower, but the BEST shine product I have ever used is "Broadcast Shine Spritz" in the Static-Free FM range by Natural Look Hair Care (http://www.naturallook.com.au/hair-ss-frizz-main.html) - it is like instant mirror drops, plus it's really light and sprays on for a totally even coverage.

I also LOVE "d-fuse, menz the enz" cream by PPS Aroma Essentials - not only does it smell soooo nice, but it turns my hair into shiny, soft, non-sticky silk.
(http://www.muu.com.au/shop/images/pps_DFuseMenzTheEnz_lg.jpg)

Thanks again! xxx

Carolyn
August 10th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous! I love the color and the shine. It's not thin. Trust me, it isn't.

pink.sara
August 10th, 2009, 12:06 PM
That colour is so lovely on you and the oil tip about shine will come in useful ;)

Congratulations on having such beautiful hair!

Jessikinz
August 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous as ever.

Feye
August 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Oh wow, how beautiful! I feel hair envy. :)

I've always wanted very dark hair, but my skin tone doesn't go well with it

I love your braid too!

cindy58
August 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
It looks beautiful!

MandaMom2Three
August 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Gorgeous! I admit I'm toying with the idea of going back to black myself, just not too sure how to go about it. I want BLACK so if henna & indigo don't get it BLACK then that's not good, but I react badly to chem dye (any skin that gets it on it gets red, itchy and crusty and eventually peels off :scared: I wish there was a third option :(

GlassEyes
August 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I know what you mean about the black reflecting shine more, it was even like that for me when I dyed my hair black, and I have curly hair. Nowhere near the shine you get, but meh. xD; It looks nice dark. --Your hair, not mine. xD

And your braid doesn't look thin.

LutraLutra
August 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Looks wonderful, like liquid licorice silk. :thudpile:

Aisha25
August 10th, 2009, 02:47 PM
like liquid licorice silk. :thudpile:
:lol: how cute,now that is one I never heard before lol

JamieLeigh
August 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I was really expecting to see really damaged, dried out looking hair, after the descriptive paragraph in the original post, but I scrolled down, and

:thud:

It really looks very shiny and healthy! I think you have got to be the exception to the rule, lol. :flower:

Jason
August 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Beautiful! I love the black color on you.

DavidN
August 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM
The black colour really does enable the wonderful shine to come gleaming through in your photos, and congratulations on having such healthy hair!

rhondalicious
August 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Beautiful, beautiful!

Speckla
August 10th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I agree with everyone! Gorgeous!

AnneAdeline
August 10th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Gorgeous! Whenever I see your avatar, I gasp in awe because your hair is magnificent.

And your braid does not look thin. I know it can be hard on LHC because there are members with that magical thickness, but really it looks great!

ilovelonghair
August 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Love the black! When I used to dye my hair black I used to first chemically dye it and the next day put a layer of henna over it to strenghten the hair and close the cuticles. But I think henna-indigo mix would be even better.

teela1978
August 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I love that song.

Oh, and your hair looks great :)

Peter
August 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Amaaaaaaaazing hair. :thud:

wahmof9
August 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM
My word your hair is beautiful....mine seems about this thickness so it gives me hope.

What is your circ. if you don't mind me asking?

Wicked Princess
August 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I love it! It's absolutely beautiful black :) I'm glad your hair is a bit more strong in the face of chemical dye, because it's yielded some really shiny results for you. Happy growing!

RavennaNight
August 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Yay! Back to black! Gorgeous! Absolutely :thud: Gorgeous!!!!!!

Elphie
August 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM
That turned out very nicely! It's so shiny!

Darkhorse1
August 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM
GORGEOUS! Don't worry GG--the thickness will come back. I think I read somewhere that some people experienced hair loss with henna/indigo--maybe that's what happened? Or, you could have just been stressed due to school etc?

lindaton
August 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I agree with everyone else, it is beautiful!!!

Linda

sana junaid
August 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM
wow your hairs looks awesome :) i have a thick hairs but they are very dull so have Patience they will become thick :)

Bereft
August 10th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Your hair is gorgeous!!! I wish my hair had looked half so beautiful when I used chemical dyes!! Bravo!!

camirra555
August 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I really like it! Very glossy!

Leabhar
August 10th, 2009, 11:48 PM
It's gorgeous, and looks great with your skin tone. And it's SO shiny!

heynormy
August 10th, 2009, 11:52 PM
:agape:PRETTY!! I'm tempted to dye my hair now! Must resist the urge!!!

Aditi
August 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Your hair is simply gorgeous :thud: and its so silky and shiny :)

FallenAngel
August 11th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I loooove raven black hair! Looking great on you!

gallows_gallery
August 11th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Gorgeous! I admit I'm toying with the idea of going back to black myself, just not too sure how to go about it. I want BLACK so if henna & indigo don't get it BLACK then that's not good, but I react badly to chem dye (any skin that gets it on it gets red, itchy and crusty and eventually peels off :scared: I wish there was a third option :(

Manda have you heard of/tried those herbal packet dyes that you can buy in health food shops? The ones here in Australia are calle Herbatint, and claim to be completely chemical free, and I think they don't contain henna, either... You can get every shade of brown and pitch black. I haven't tried them...but it might be an idea?

gallows_gallery
August 11th, 2009, 01:06 AM
My word your hair is beautiful....mine seems about this thickness so it gives me hope.

What is your circ. if you don't mind me asking?

I have no idea! REALLY thin....when I wrap my thumb and index finger around the base of my plait it makes a circle about as big as a mentos...or two jellybeans haha. It used to be double as thick :(

GORGEOUS! Don't worry GG--the thickness will come back. I think I read somewhere that some people experienced hair loss with henna/indigo--maybe that's what happened? Or, you could have just been stressed due to school etc?

It was a dramatic year for my hair - bleach, plant dye...etc. I'm not surprised I lost so much. Thankfully it's all growing back -I have millions of baby hairs annoyingly sticking up, which are reaching about 2-3 inches now :)

MandaMom2Three
August 11th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Manda have you heard of/tried those herbal packet dyes that you can buy in health food shops? The ones here in Australia are calle Herbatint, and claim to be completely chemical free, and I think they don't contain henna, either... You can get every shade of brown and pitch black. I haven't tried them...but it might be an idea?

Hmmmm, I'll look into that! I brought up the idea to hubby last night, who then proceeded to throw his arms defensively around my head with a "NOOOOOOOOOOO! I LOVE THE RED!!!!!" :lol: so it might take a while until we're both on board :rollin:

DarkChocolate
August 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Your hair is so shiny:) I love your blunt ends too:) Your hair still looks good:) My hair will probably look like that once I get it longer and trim the ends to a blunt cut:)

serpentine
August 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Simply stunning! :love: Makes me want to go black!

Kaamos
August 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Your hair is gorgeous! Black is a great hair color and your hair looks very healthy and so shiny :thud:
I have thin hair too. But I start to accept it. I cannot change it anyway ;)

Redheaded Raven
August 28th, 2009, 04:49 AM
It looks good. And hey finer isn't all bad, no headaches putting it up. :p I think that it rocks, and It will grow back... I know I have a huge huge halo from my shed. :rockerdud

Misso
August 28th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I always admired your avatar. Your hair looks great.

Liluri
August 30th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Love the black hair, I'll admire yours so I don't start thinking of dying my hair black again :)

Medievalmaniac
August 30th, 2009, 05:05 AM
it looks great! Beautiful color!!

Flynn
August 30th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Love the black hair, I'll admire yours so I don't start thinking of dying my hair black again :)

(I'm feeling the opposite here... looks so good I want to try it!

vindo
August 30th, 2009, 05:54 AM
It does look nice! I'm feeling a little bad your plan did not work out though..:(

Did your braid thin all over or was it always like that? I does look very pretty and even..not a lot of taper.

Hope fully the road will be less bumpy for you now! :flower:

elaineflowers
August 30th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I want your hair .... it looks fantastic, well done.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

paintedmuse
August 30th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Your hair is beautiful, so shiny and silky! I love to look at it :D

IndigoInk
August 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
It looks beautiful! With the red shirt and white pants you remind me of snow white...lol. I'm glad you found what works for you b/c that is the most important thing. I can't wait to see pictures as you gain back your thickness, I can imagine how stunning it will be then since it is so gorgeous now!

Indigo Girl
August 30th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Beautiful! The black is a great color on you, and your hair really looks shiny and healthy. :bluesmile

neon-dream
August 30th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Your length is exactly the length I want! Stunning hair! :)

Loepsie
August 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Wow, your hair is gorgeous! I love this color, I dyed my hair black about a year and a half ago but it wasn't as great as I had hoped. Black hair doesn't match my skin tone =( Which sucks, black hair is my favourite!
But I love how it looks on you, it's stunning =)

Stephichan
August 30th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Wow, your hair is absolutely amazing! That shine.... that length! Hold on one second... *wipes away the drool* okay, that's better. Oh, how I wish my hair would hurry up and grow...

Bellona
August 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I'd give up my thickness for that shine any day! Beautiful!

apynip
August 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM
that looks so pretty! It makes me want to dye my hair black though i look better with burgundy hair...

Lady Mary
August 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
How'd I miss this thread? Anyway, your hair looks fantastic. I am a sucker for long black hair :blossom:

11eleven
August 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Oooh Pretty!!

Kiraela
August 31st, 2009, 06:00 AM
That looks wonderful! So shiny it is blinding....

Crystal520
August 31st, 2009, 06:08 AM
Beautiful!!!

Liluri
August 31st, 2009, 08:32 PM
(I'm feeling the opposite here... looks so good I want to try it!

See I have tried it and have had the grow out line to prove it :) I love black hair but at waist length it would feel like forever to grow out again.

rockstarmommy
August 31st, 2009, 08:53 PM
sdfghyjuksdfghjk

rogue_psyche
August 31st, 2009, 09:06 PM
Such a lovely black! I don't think your hair is thin at all. Sometimes braids make us a bit hair anorexic.

Tressie
August 31st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Your hair is amazing!! It looks wonderful and I don't see anything "thin" about it!
Congratulations!! (o:

Rentlle
September 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
o my gosh, your hair is gorgeous!!!!! realy.. i'm totaly impressed!

JCFantasy23
September 2nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Beautiful black hair - good move! :)

sunnydayalways
September 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
Awsome hair the color black is shiney.

kmouse43
September 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Your hair is so beautiful! The black suits you so well! I'm glad you got it back the way you want it!

naselflee
September 2nd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Agree with everything said:) Beautiful shiny hair. I wish mine was as silky straight as yours.

Juliannaissance
May 4th, 2010, 09:53 AM
That is really gorgeous black hair! :)

growing2shine
May 4th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Oh so beautiful. I love black hair! The first time I dyed my hair I chose black.

oceanwoman111
May 4th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Your hair looks amazing, lush and mysterious. I used to darken mine and I miss it a lot ,but I promised myself that I would leave my hair alone for a year. My dream hair is long, black and silky.

JBO
May 4th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Gorgeous! It doesn't look like you ever bleached it. It looks very shiney

kelly-j
May 5th, 2010, 01:51 AM
YOur hair is truly beautiful. The color, length, shine..everything about it!

eiwonob
May 5th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Gorgeous hair, so shine and sleek, and the black is so striking! I love black hair; myself I almost have naturally but with some red reflex to it... I prefer blue-black... after this post I'm thinking in dyeing it again!

Tegaladwen
May 5th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I love how shiny and straight your hair is! It's such a nice colour! Your an inspiration for me to continue growing my own fine hair. :)

kittylover
May 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I love your hair and the colour is gorgeous.

bubbles_87
May 5th, 2010, 02:32 PM
your hair looks amazingly beautiful! I just dyed my hair black yesterday. Black just makes your hair look more natural and healthier plus all that shine!

sunshine-locks
May 5th, 2010, 02:59 PM
your hair *bleeds* shine! :thudpile:

PadmeAmidala
May 7th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Oooh, such a beautiful black!

And so shiny!

Zombiekins
May 7th, 2010, 10:56 AM
What did you use to dye your hair black with, Gallows_Gallery? If I might ask. :)

lesbia
May 7th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Look how thin it really is! http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/mollusclove/CIMG9177.jpg

this is very similar to my thin braid...but your is sooo longer :rolleyes:

young&reckless
May 7th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Wow! Missing my black hair now. Your color is amazing!

JessTheMess
May 7th, 2010, 05:32 PM
SO shiny and pretty!!!

GlennaGirl
May 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I love love love love love love love it! (Did I mention that I love it?) Gorgeous!

Cirafly24
May 8th, 2010, 02:55 AM
This thread makes me miss my black hair! I loved my hair when it was black...it was always very shiny, and I could wear any clothing or makeup color I wanted. It was also very striking next to my pale skin and blue eyes. Unfortunately, it was just too high-maintenance for me since my natural color is very light brown. I had to touch up my roots practically every 2 weeks, and I'm just not willing to devote that kind of time and money to upkeep. Besides, I don't think it was very good for my hair to dye that often.

*sigh* if only there were a way to permanently make your hair grow a certain color. Until there is, I'll just have to learn to like my natural hair color.