PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Layers - will this person hairstyle look good on me

Michiru
August 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Ok, I know that I wouldn't be able to do any type of fancy up do but I can't do them anyway so this is what I'm thinking. Since I have trichotillomania, pull my hair when stressed, I already have all these self made layers so my hair will never be all one length. I found this style in a podcast and I liked it. I want to know if everyone thinks it will work for my hair or if my hair is just too straight for it. I would use jessicurl styling stuff in the shower to scrunch it up a bit. the thing is it looks like her highest layer is by her ear. Should I just show the movie and haver her go as is. Or chunkier layers maybe? Where my hair is growing back in and I have shorter waves is the favorite part of my hair. It's like its more poofier. Anyway here is the clip:

one with red hair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciMVEKCL2NY

my hair:
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/gingerdoe/DSCN0006.jpg

GlennaGirl
August 10th, 2009, 12:02 AM
To me, it looks like just very very long bangs. In other words, not "all-over" layers that go around the entire head, but a very slight angling of a not-too-deep triangle taken out of the front/top. Does that make sense?

I personally LOVE it and think it could be a very romantic, beautiful look on wavy/curly hair, twirling down around either side of the face from an updo. Wowsers.

BUT if you go to a stylist, be sure you tell them you DON'T want all-over layering, JUST SLIGHT face-framing tendrils.

ericthegreat
August 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM
First I'd like to offer my best prayers to you about your trichotillomania. It really is a serious and embarrassing disorder to have and I really commend you for having the courage to admit this. I do indeed hope you find the help you need to help deal with this condition.

As a young hairstylist myself, I would suggest to you given your particular hair texture to get gradual, face framing layers and long sideswept bangs. This will satisfy your urge for a layered effect without having to part with too much length. Tell your stylist to start the front layering past your chin and slide down the front length of your hair in a gradual C-shape. I really wouldn't touch the length of your hair that much besides just giving it an all over trim, I think you actually look quite beautiful with the length you have right now.

So to sum it all up, just layer the two front sides( tell your stylist you want them done gradually so that it gives you that perfect face framing effect) and keep the length in the back straight.

Gypsygirl
August 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Yes, I second that! The girl in the video pretty much has what I have at the moment- layered, feathery sides, starting at cheekbone level. I'm a 1c, which is pretty straight (the waves in ym pix are mostly braid waves). Layered sides (and bangs) look good on me, but my hairdresser refuses to do "all-over" layers because she thinks they wouldn't work for me. Hope that helps...I think Eric's suggestion is great! :)

Michiru
August 10th, 2009, 12:41 AM
"BUT if you go to a stylist, be sure you tell them you DON'T want all-over layering, JUST SLIGHT face-framing tendrils."

I would be taking my computer with me and showing her the video. I hope that would be enough.

ericthegreat - so not bother taking in the video at all and just tell her that or do both? That picture was from dec. so my hair is a bit long now. as someone going into hairstyling, would I still need to scrunch with a product to get more waves?

ericthegreat
August 10th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Michiru, the woman in the video has a much tighter curl pattern than you currently have...I would estimate it to be a 2c or a 3a. The cut she has works for her.

But on your texture, your hair from what I can tell will only get some slight waves and those waves might even drop and go flat as your hair appears to be more straight than wavy. Your particular hair texture really wouldn't work well with her kind of haircut.

At your current length right now and with your particular hair texture, you would look best with my suggestion. Again, get long, sideswept bangs(have them cut below your nose), and then have your stylist start layering only your two front sides forming a C-shape.

ericthegreat
August 10th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Jennifer Aniston has the perfect example of the type of haircut I'm describing.

http://www.becomegorgeous.com/pictures/sedujenniferaniston.jpg

Dotlover
August 10th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Michiru, yes the layers sounds like a good idea! I have a hair hair-cutting addiction so for me I have to stay away from the scissors or my hair will never grow..... On a side note, her style is just so fashionable-looking. :toast:

spidermom
August 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Just wanted to add that nobody will ever have "all-one-length" hair. Every day old hairs shed out and new hairs grow in. Thus everybody has every-length hair.

I would think that learning to do a few up-dos would help with the hair-pulling condition that you have more than wearing it down with layers. Whatever you decide, best wishes toward overcoming the condition

bakertwins2004
August 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM
As a long layer gal. I gotta tell ya I LOVE them and don't plan on getting rid of my layer's as I grow. You CAN still do many updo's . You just have to take some more time to get those little pieces all in place. Worth the hassle to me.

SimplyViki
August 10th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Just a word of sympathy and understanding about the trichotillomania. I've self-diagnosed myself with a mild case of it, I pull from everywhere and anywhere, but I switch around and regulate enough that it's not really that noticeable most of the time. However, I've got a pretty sparse spot just about smack-dab in the center of my hairline that will probably always prevent bangs from looking good. At least, that's what keeps me from getting them, even though they'd probably otherwise really suit my long face.

Her haircut looks good, and your hairtypes appear similar to me. You might be able to get that effect with scrunching if you got the haircut, but I'm not sure. :shrug: I'm no hairstylist, and I've never been great with any style involving "products" (LOL you have no idea how many pomades, sprays, and gels I've bought, and never had a clue what the heck to do with them).

Let us know what you decide, and pics would be great!

ETA: Am I the only germophobe who was wincing at the cosmetic lady's applying stuff to that girl's face with her fingers?? I didn't have the sound on, so maybe she mentioned she washes her hands between customers (I sure hope so!) but just watching bits and pieces kinda icked me out.

JamieRose
August 10th, 2009, 11:23 AM
First I'd like to offer my best prayers to you about your trichotillomania. It really is a serious and embarrassing disorder to have and I really commend you for having the courage to admit this. I do indeed hope you find the help you need to help deal with this condition.

As a young hairstylist myself, I would suggest to you given your particular hair texture to get gradual, face framing layers and long sideswept bangs. This will satisfy your urge for a layered effect without having to part with too much length. Tell your stylist to start the front layering past your chin and slide down the front length of your hair in a gradual C-shape. I really wouldn't touch the length of your hair that much besides just giving it an all over trim, I think you actually look quite beautiful with the length you have right now.

So to sum it all up, just layer the two front sides( tell your stylist you want them done gradually so that it gives you that perfect face framing effect) and keep the length in the back straight.

Dang- I wish you were MY hair stylist!!! Mine gave me layers galore when I never asked for them. Still growing them out....:mad:

I say get the long bangs, too. They look long enough that they would be easy to put and STAY up, should you want them to.

Roseate
August 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I would be taking my computer with me and showing her the video. I hope that would be enough.
would I still need to scrunch with a product to get more waves?

You should take the video in to show your stylist what inspired you to get the cut, but you should also discuss the cut with her before she picks up the scissors. The video is not a diagram, she may interpret the cut differently than you do, and you may end up with something you don't like.

I agree that face-framing layers and long bangs are a good way to go, with no layers in back. I actually think that's what the girl in the video has, it's just that her hair is more wavy and styled. You would need product and perhaps some curlers or bunwaves to get her look, but I love your natural texture too, and I think it would look great with some layering.

Michiru
August 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Ok, so I have made an appointment at this place called O'hair. It's a non-tipping salon. I'm hoping that's good. They got good reviews online. I will bring in the video and we'll go from there.

To the person who wanted a front picture. I would do it it's just that I somehow deleted the thing that allowed you to transfer pictures from e mail to desktop. Only my dad and sister can take pictures with their iphone and email it to me. I tried to get a more current picture to my OP but it just wasn't happening. :mad: I will, get some pictures of how it turns out and post then in a new thread. This problem should be fixed soon.